Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #5 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I go back-and-forth trying to decide if this was a (relatively) sudden impulsive crime, or one planned out thoughtfully over a lengthy period — I can’t decide (though I know others already have strong opinions about it). Anyway, tried to compile a few key dates in BC’s recent life, in case it gives anyone ideas (and there are plenty more possible dates one might fill in to this list, especially regarding his joining or leaving various internet sites or other activities):

Spring (I think?) 2016: he tells advisor he’s decided not to complete the physics PhD. program
May 6, 2016: buys a black Camaro (...don't know when they acquired the Astra, before or after?)
Oct. 13, 2016: changes his Facebook cover photo to the Uzumaki horror manga comic picture that remains on it.
April 12, 2017: his last entry on Facebook
April 19, 2017: his last day (so far as I understand) posting on Fetlife
May 13, 2017: he graduates from U of I with Masters degree (does not post a photo on FB, though he did earlier post a photo for his Bachelors graduation from Wisconsin)
June 9: kidnaps YY
This might help your timeline, I checked if it was allowed to post it..
http://www.pjstar.com/news/20170709...udent-at-u-of-i-to-kidnapping-suspect?start=2

I go back-and-forth trying to decide if this was a (relatively) sudden impulsive crime, or one planned out thoughtfully over a lengthy period — I can’t decide (though I know others already have strong opinions about it). Anyway, tried to compile a few key dates in BC’s recent life, in case it gives anyone ideas (and there are plenty more possible dates one might fill in to this list, especially regarding his joining or leaving various internet sites or other activities):

Spring (I think?) 2016: he tells advisor he’s decided not to complete the physics PhD. program
May 6, 2016: buys a black Camaro (...don't know when they acquired the Astra, before or after?)
Oct. 13, 2016: changes his Facebook cover photo to the Uzumaki horror manga comic picture that remains on it.
April 12, 2017: his last entry on Facebook
April 19, 2017: his last day (so far as I understand) posting on Fetlife
May 13, 2017: he graduates from U of I with Masters degree (does not post a photo on FB, though he did earlier post a photo for his Bachelors graduation from Wisconsin)
June 9: kidnaps YY

June 7: Date of last activity on Fetlife

Twitch and steam also has chat. Personally I dislike twitch. Parents need to watch their kids carefully on those platforms especially twitch. Twitch has private chat rooms now and more than just video games are discussed.

This might help your timeline, I checked if it was allowed to post it..
http://www.pjstar.com/news/20170709...udent-at-u-of-i-to-kidnapping-suspect?start=2

Yeah, that's a copy of the Chicago Tribune article I have bookmarked... what I just can't decide is if he's been thinking (maybe even practicing) committing this crime perhaps as far back as when he decided to drop out of physics, OR was he only fantasizing about such things until some tipping point maybe days or a week before June 9. Of course no way for us to know yet, but I think it makes a difference as to possibility of an insanity defense (i.e., the more pre-meditation, the more he's sane and evil; but if he just suddenly snapped at a point and thought 'for a thrill, I'm gonna kidnap & kill somebody' more chance of insanity) jmo.

Yeah, that's a copy of the Chicago Tribune article I have bookmarked... what I just can't decide is if he's been thinking (maybe even practicing) committing this crime perhaps as far back as when he decided to drop out of physics, OR was he only fantasizing about such things until some tipping point maybe days or a week before June 9. Of course no way for us to know yet, but I think it makes a difference as to possibility of an insanity defense (i.e., the more pre-meditation, the more he's sane and evil; but if he just suddenly snapped at a point and thought 'for a thrill, I'm gonna kidnap & kill somebody' more chance of insanity) jmo.
Maybe he's been practicing via video games...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Big take-away from this for me was how broke they were.. she earned $1800 per month, After rent and utilities, they had $800 between two per month, less actually..
He did not earn money..
Is there a known ring of traffickers/ people who want Asian girls in that area.. seems to be a lot of reports of Chinese girls getting followed on campus.. Is this a trend in uSA or specifically Illinois.. Any other referrals to his money making attempts, or did he make any efforts at all to earn? It must be almost impossible to live on $700 a month for 2 people. Is it or not?
ach, we dont have his full web history.. but he is surprisingly self indulgent spending so many hrs online while she works.. he does not try.. was he scam orientated?

I don't know why, but I think perhaps there was a recent "tipping point." Maybe his easy, napping, video gaming existence was about to end; maybe he was going to have to get a job or be his own sole support or who knows? He felt put upon, and decided he was entitled to live out a fantasy first. Just a gut feeling and just my opinion.

Big take-away from this for me was how broke they were.. she earned $1800 per month, After rent and utilities, they had $800 between two per month, less actually..
He did not earn money..
Is there a known ring of traffickers/ people who want Asian girls in that area.. seems to be a lot of reports of Chinese girls getting followed on campus.. Is this a trend in uSA or specifically Illinois.. Any other referrals to his money making attempts, or did he make any efforts at all to earn? It must be almost impossible to live on $700 a month for 2 people. Is it or not?
ach, we dont have his full web history.. but he is surprisingly self indulgent spending so many hrs online while she works.. he does not try.. was he scam orientated?

Until recently, they also would have had his teaching stipend. Not much, but money coming in

Twitch and steam also has chat. Personally I dislike twitch. Parents need to watch their kids carefully on those platforms especially twitch. Twitch has private chat rooms now and more than just video games are discussed.

Twitch, Teamspeak, Ventrilo, and Skype are all getting "old" so to speak. The hot new thing seems to be Discord since it has more features. Parents need to watch their kids on Discord as well since it has both voice and text chat. Just FYI.

So, this coming Thursday, July 20th - BC has an arraignment hearing at 3pm EDT (10pm my time...). Will the DA being giving "us" some evidence?? I sure hope so...

JUSTICE for YINGYING! :rose:

Hah hah hah - yes, I agree. Just another failed grad student. When you accept someone into a PhD program, anything short of a PhD is failure. A masters degree is a consolation prize. There are many points to burn out or fail out on the track to an academic career. The PhD stage is pretty much the earliest, you can also flame out at the post-doc phase on the way to a faculty position, or on the way to associate from assistant professor. Terminal masters degree is the lowest rung on the flame-out ladder.

A failure for the professor, but there are valid reasons to drop out of a PhD program other than failure to cut it. Your career goals can change over time. Having a PhD on your resume doesn't always help in getting a job; depending on the field, it can overqualify you for the job you want. There is also a habit in the US of overselling the marketability of advanced degrees in basic math and science. Researching the job market isn't something eager students think about until the end of their program.

There is a little triangle to the left bottom side of each post. You can click on that to report any post you feel should not be here. A mod will get the message and take appropriate action. Don't hesitate to use it. Mods can't be on every thread every minute. We have to sometimes police ourselves.
I know the triangle but it doesn't seem to show when I'm on tapatalk?

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

I know the triangle but it doesn't seem to show when I'm on tapatalk?

If it gets deleted here, (it did), it should disappear from Tapatalk when you refresh it, I think.

If it gets deleted here, (it did), it should disappear from Tapatalk when you refresh it, I think.
I meant the report triangle doesnt show up on tapatalk 😊

I meant the report triangle doesnt show up on tapatalk ��

Oh, gotcha...that's okay. Someone reading here apparently reported it and it has been deleted ;) In Tapatalk, highlight the post, and then at the top of the app, on the right hand side, next to the 'reply' arrow and 'thank' heart are three vertical dots. If you click that, it brings a drop-down menu...There is a 'report' there.

Oh, gotcha...that's okay. Someone reading here apparently reported it and it has been deleted ;) In Tapatalk, highlight the post, and then at the top of the app, on the right hand side, are three vertical dots. If you click that, it brings a drop-down menu...There is a 'report' there.
Brilliant thanks Steve 👍👍👍😆

Twitch, Teamspeak, Ventrilo, and Skype are all getting "old" so to speak. The hot new thing seems to be Discord since it has more features. Parents need to watch their kids on Discord as well since it has both voice and text chat. Just FYI.
Thanks for making me feel even older than I am! :thinking:

Anyway, again for the lawyers out there: At the arraignment this week is it pretty much a given that BC will plead innocent, or is there any possibility that plea bargaining has already occurred with him pleading guilty and telling what he did with the body, in exchange for a lesser charge?

A failure for the professor, but there are valid reasons to drop out of a PhD program other than failure to cut it. Your career goals can change over time. Having a PhD on your resume doesn't always help in getting a job; depending on the field, it can overqualify you for the job you want. There is also a habit in the US of overselling the marketability of advanced degrees in basic math and science. Researching the job market isn't something eager students think about until the end of their program.

Didn't mean to offend - I burned out/bailed out of a faculty position and now make 4x what I previously did. The ivory tower isn't for everyone :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for making me feel even older than I am! :thinking:

Anyway, again for the lawyers out there: At the arraignment this week is it pretty much a given that BC will plead innocent, or is there any possibility that plea bargaining has already occurred with him pleading guilty and telling what he did with the body, in exchange for a lesser charge?

I am not a lawyer, nor do I even play one on the internet, but I cannot imagine him pleading anything other than 'not guilty' at this point, as he and his lawyer, as of yet, would not even know what evidence there is implicating him in the case. I would love to think that he would suddenly get a conscience and come clean, but I don't see it happening, at least now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallon