Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #7 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The remains found in Wayne County have been identified per the Wayne County Press in Fairfield -
Remains Confirmed As Megan Nichols

The FBI has confirmed the remains of a body discovered recently were those of teenager Megan Nichols, missing since July of 2014.
Bones were discovered Dec. 26, 2017 in a field south of Boyleston. Those remains were collected by the FBI, who were able to positively identify them as those of Nichols.

Further details are not being released at this time, as the investigation is still ongoing. The FBI and the Wayne County Sheriff's Office continue to ask for the public to submit tips regarding the disappearance of Ms. Nichols.

glad that's settled (at least who it is, not who did it) -- in looking that case up I see there are some other interesting missing cases someone has called attention to:
http://wbkr.com/possible-connections-between-missing-women-in-tristate-photos/

(article is from 2014; haven't checked to see if there's any progress since then)

glad that's settled (at least who it is, not who did it) -- in looking that case up I see there are some other interesting missing cases someone has called attention to:
http://wbkr.com/possible-connections-between-missing-women-in-tristate-photos/

(article is from 2014; haven't checked to see if there's any progress since then)

One of the girls he mentioned was found in Sept. 2014. Her skull and hands were missing, but her body was too decomposed to determine COD. ME said he’s leaning towards an OD. They think animals are responsible for her missing parts.

I disagree. What are the odds that of all her body parts, only the ones which easily identify her are gone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The remains found in Wayne County have been identified per the Wayne County Press in Fairfield -
Remains Confirmed As Megan Nichols

The FBI has confirmed the remains of a body discovered recently were those of teenager Megan Nichols, missing since July of 2014.
Bones were discovered Dec. 26, 2017 in a field south of Boyleston. Those remains were collected by the FBI, who were able to positively identify them as those of Nichols.

Further details are not being released at this time, as the investigation is still ongoing. The FBI and the Wayne County Sheriff's Office continue to ask for the public to submit tips regarding the disappearance of Ms. Nichols.

Thanks for the update. After initially thinking there was a decent chance this was Yingying, I had gradually moved more into thinking it wasn't her and more likely to be Megan.

Sorry to hear that it was Megan. I'm sure her family and friends are devastated by this news.

I wonder if the remains were hidden somewhere else initially, then moved to this site later on.........

Thanks for the update dm92! Much appreciated!

News to me was that his g/f made 7 recordings in total.
News to me too was that the other informant spent an hour a day with BC in order to elicit information.

Yes, interesting. Some of us had speculated that LE might place an informant in prison to elicit information from BC.

Sounds like they were desperate for evidence

Probably were hoping he would spill info leading to the body, but didn't. My guess is instead he ended up giving more details about what he did, and it filled in gaps in the case -then they were able to look at more things and do more forensic testing to back everything up, thus allowing them to issue the superseding indictment. Also, through conversations, were probably able to get more info that helped buttress their case for seeking the death penalty -ie, no remorse for what he did, wanted to be known as a killer, not his first victim and he's an expert at avoiding detection.

Remember, they announced that she was presumed dead the day they arrested him. A lot of that info leading them to say this probably came from recordings by TEB, because he hadn't interacted with this informant yet.

Probably were hoping he would spill info leading to the body, but didn't. My guess is instead he ended up giving more details about what he did, and it filled in gaps in the case -then they were able to look at more things and do more forensic testing to back everything up, thus allowing them to issue the superseding indictment. Also, through conversations, were probably able to get more info that helped buttress their case for seeking the death penalty -ie, no remorse for what he did, wanted to be known as a killer, not his first victim and he's an expert at avoiding detection.

Remember, they announced that she was presumed dead the day they arrested him. A lot of that info leading them to say this probably came from recordings by TEB, because he hadn't interacted with this informant yet.

My only question is how does this differ from Gilberto Valle who spoke of his want to stalk, kidnap, murder and eat women. If there is not body or actual proof to the crime how is he talking of fantasy a smoking gun?

(please correct me if they had reported like massive amounts of blood found or anything but if I recall they havent)

My only question is how does this differ from Gilberto Valle who spoke of his want to stalk, kidnap, murder and eat women. If there is not body or actual proof to the crime how is he talking of fantasy a smoking gun?

(please correct me if they had reported like massive amounts of blood found or anything but if I recall they havent)

I (like others) assume there is actually a lot of forensic evidence gathered from BC’s apt., car, perhaps elsewhere, but even if that were not the case his changing stories are very incriminating (first, he was home playing video games, then oh yeah, he did pick up an Asian lady and let her out a couple blocks later though never witnessed nor caught on tape, and then he tells girlfriend he brought her back to apt.). I don’t really see much similarity to the Valle case at all beyond the online activity. Juries do convict on circumstantial evidence alone sometimes, but I suspect there’s much more to this case.
I will be fascinated to see what his lawyers’ eventual defense is, assuming they even go to trial.

I (like others) assume there is actually a lot of forensic evidence gathered from BC’s apt., car, perhaps elsewhere, but even if that were not the case his changing stories are very incriminating (first, he was home playing video games, then oh yeah, he did pick up an Asian lady and let her out a couple blocks later though never witnessed nor caught on tape, and then he tells girlfriend he brought her back to apt.). I don’t really see much similarity to the Valle case at all beyond the online activity. Juries do convict on circumstantial evidence alone sometimes, but I suspect there’s much more to this case.
I will be fascinated to see what his lawyers’ eventual defense is, assuming they even go to trial.

It 100% cannot be a death penalty case based only on circumstantial evidence. I would love to see any MSM report where it says they have physical evidence because I havent seen it. And if they did, why wouldnt they say so?

If the recorded fantasies are damning then every person on the FL site BC used should be arrested for having kidnapping fantasies/fetishes right?

It 100% cannot be a death penalty case based only on circumstantial evidence. I would love to see any MSM report where it says they have physical evidence because I havent seen it. And if they did, why wouldnt they say so?

If the recorded fantasies are damning then every person on the FL site BC used should be arrested for having kidnapping fantasies/fetishes right?

1) I’m not saying he’ll get the death penalty… in fact my guess at this point is they’ll plea bargain for life-in-prison and not go to trial to avoid dragging the family through years of proceedings (not to mention the 10 - 20 years it would probably take for him to actually face execution).

2) You want physical evidence: he’s on tape picking YY up and then, oddly, she is never seen nor heard from again (or are you going to argue that’s not him driving his own car)

3) After arrest, the police essentially announce YY is dead and don’t even encourage any searching, implying that they’ve compiled a lot of evidence to speak with such certainty. But of course they won’t divulge their physical/forensic evidence to the public.

4) I also find it very telling that no friends, students, even family have come forth publicly to say BC is innocent and couldn’t have done it; I can’t recall a case where all family members seemed to take such a hands-off approach, and there were no character-defenders.

5) But mainly we just differ on perception: you think this case is based on fantasies, I think it is based on forensics, and you can throw ALL the fantasies out and you'll be left with a damning case. Time will tell.

Prosecutors have given the defense over 500 pages of blood and DNA test results, and have an FBI biologist on their list of expert witnesses to testify about blood testing results. I doubt it is 500 pages of test results showing everything tested is negative. If they are charging him with her death, I'm sure some of the things tested must have come up positive. My speculation would be that they found her blood in his apartment. It obviously had been cleaned, but he probably missed some things. I also think it is possible that he described to the informant some of what he did, and they may have been able to find her blood/DNA on something(s) he described using to torture/kill her.

You're right. IF he only described doing things in conversations with TEB/the jail informant, he could always claim he was lying and just engaging in fantasy talk; trying to impress them. This is probably why at first (June 30th) they said that they believed she was dead, but only charged him with kidnapping. After doing more forensic testing and investigating -probably based on what he told TEB and the informant- they were probably able to find her DNA on things he described using or in places where he described doing things. This would be enough to prove he actually did what he described doing , thus allowing them to upgrade the charge to kidnapping resulting in death.

Prosecutors have given the defense over 500 pages of blood and DNA test results, and have an FBI biologist on their list of expert witnesses to testify about blood testing results. I doubt it is 500 pages of test results showing everything tested is negative. If they are charging him with her death, I'm sure some of the things tested must have come up positive. My speculation would be that they found her blood in his apartment. It obviously had been cleaned, but he probably missed some things. I also think it is possible that he described to the informant some of what he did, and they may have been able to find her blood/DNA on something(s) he described using to torture/kill her.

You're right. IF he only described doing things in conversations with TEB/the jail informant, he could always claim he was lying and just engaging in fantasy talk; trying to impress them. This is probably why at first (June 30th) they said that they believed she was dead, but only charged him with kidnapping. After doing more forensic testing and investigating -probably based on what he told TEB and the informant- they were probably able to find her DNA on things he described using or in places where he described doing things. This would be enough to prove he actually did what he described doing , thus allowing them to upgrade the charge to kidnapping resulting in death.

meanwhile, from a breaking news tweet:
[FONT=&amp]"Government submits proposed trial date in the case for missing U of I Scholar Yingying Zhang. October 16, 2018. The defense has until midnight to file their proposed date."

[/FONT]

meanwhile, from a breaking news tweet:
[FONT=&amp]"Government submits proposed trial date in the case for missing U of I Scholar Yingying Zhang. October 16, 2018. The defense has until midnight to file their proposed date."

[/FONT]

Got a link? HAven't seen anything yet......

Got a link? HAven't seen anything yet......
It was from the local Fox News station, so might check there first.

edit: odd... checking several local news sources only see Jacqueline Francis of Fox reporting thus far on Twitter, but she has usually had things right on this case, so assume others will follow?

it’s probably a somewhat moot point, but Illinois does not have the death penalty. It was abolished in 2011. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/06/illinois-death-penalty-bill_n_6820030.html

this is an interesting article about convictions with no body:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/diane-dimond/no-body-murder-cases_b_137791.html

And a former lawyer has studied “No body” cases and their outcomes (some were death penalty cases) , if anyone is interested. http://www.nobodymurdercases.com/no_body2.pdf

this is an abc7 report I did not see when it was released on January 18
http://abc7chicago.com/feds-plant-two-secret-informants-in-u-of-i-murder-case/2953416/

News to me was that his g/f made 7 recordings in total.
News to me too was that the other informant spent an hour a day with BC in order to elicit information.

Quite interesting ... I did not know about the second informant, nor so many recordings by the GF. Thanks for this info.

it’s probably a somewhat moot point, but Illinois does not have the death penalty. It was abolished in 2011. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/06/illinois-death-penalty-bill_n_6820030.html

this is an interesting article about convictions with no body:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/diane-dimond/no-body-murder-cases_b_137791.html

And a former lawyer has studied “No body” cases and their outcomes (some were death penalty cases) , if anyone is interested. http://www.nobodymurdercases.com/no_body2.pdf

Quite interesting ... I did not know about the second informant, nor so many recordings by the GF. Thanks for this info.

Kidnapping is a federal offense that opens up the possibility of death penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member