Imperfect Justice-Prosecuting Casey Anthony by Jeff Ashton

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a prosecutor's going to write a book about a major case that they lost, like this one, I'd just rather they didn't churn it out so quickly. I don't think it's possible to completely digest what happened and why this soon after the verdict. I think a better and more accurate book could be written a year from now, or longer.

But then, that wouldn't capitalize on the Anthony frenzy right now, and that's the bottom line ($$$) that matters with books like this. I would guess the publisher said something like, "Yes, we'll pay you a lot of money for this book but only if it comes out before the end of this year; if it comes out a year from now, you'll make much less because we'll make much less."

I thought Ashton was conducting himself professionally and admirably after the trial from what I saw of him in interviews, but now I'm thinking that he's still very bitter about this case (Hurricane Jose comment a good example). I don't think that's a good frame of mind to be in if you're writing a book. Of course, he's not really writing it by himself, so perhaps the end result might not be as bad as it could have been if he was penning it all by himself.

If a prosecutor's going to write a book about a major case that they lost, like this one, I'd just rather they didn't churn it out so quickly. I don't think it's possible to completely digest what happened and why this soon after the verdict. I think a better and more accurate book could be written a year from now, or longer.

But then, that wouldn't capitalize on the Anthony frenzy right now, and that's the bottom line ($$$) that matters with books like this. I would guess the publisher said something like, "Yes, we'll pay you a lot of money for this book but only if it comes out before the end of this year; if it comes out a year from now, you'll make much less because we'll make much less."

I thought Ashton was conducting himself professionally and admirably after the trial from what I saw of him in interviews, but now I'm thinking that he's still very bitter about this case (Hurricane Jose comment a good example). I don't think that's a good frame of mind to be in if you're writing a book. Of course, he's not really writing it by himself, so perhaps the end result might not be as bad as it could have been if he was penning it all by himself.
Respect.

Given that there's a ghost on this book - (can't recall the name, it's mentioned in this thread) and given publishing timelines, this book has been in the pipeline a while. I suspect very little was written post verdict. I also don't think this is going to be a point by point rehash of the case, but rather more of a personal experience piece. The law is by nature adversarial - and while I understand your disappointment somewhat, I don't think Defense Attys are the only ones allowed on the rigorous and passionate platform. MHO

Of anyone's opinion, behind the scenes knowledge, and personal experience in this case . . . I would trust JA to describe truthfully the events that unfolded from his point of view . . . followed up with forensics. I would personally purchase this book and read it with interest and look for confirmation in the wealth of information here at this board. Personally, I feel I spent a great deal of time in my life invested in this case and if JA can fill in the blanks for me. . . it could give me peace and understanding. I cannot change what has already happened, but I can strive to learn from it and use that knowledge in the future to somehow, someway, sometime, help a child.

I need more closure in this case and if purchasing and reading JA's book helps with that . . . then I am for that. Chose your own coping mechanisms with coming to terms with this case . . . for me, I look forward to this book.

I'm not sure what the point of this is - many of the posters at WS are looking forward to this brilliant prosecutor's book and his version of the trial.Regardless of the jury verdict in this particular trial, JA will always be a winner in my eyes. :woot:

If Baez chooses to "write" one, then we can all get together and comment on that also.:floorlaugh:

ITA. And oh will we be commenting. Just because Baez "won" doesn't mean we have to like it or respect it. Yeah, he's got his win, but what at cost? It's shallow like Baez to be on his side just because he won. Wow, three years of this case boiled down to that. Not only is that grossly unfair, but it's a slap in the face to all of the people who actually were on Caylee's side and stood up for her. I guess they mean nothing now because the case was lost? I don't think so. Casey and her DT get no more respect from me because of a one in a freaking million verdict. Yeah, they won, and look how well that victory is playing out for them. I wouldn't want a win like that for anything in the world. A win doesn't wash the slate clean or automatically make a person look good or be good. I don't see any halo over Casey's head or the DT's head now just because they won.

And court cases shouldn't be about wins anyway. That's sports and competitions. Court cases should be about doing what's right and coming up with a right and just verdict. This verdict wasn't right or just, not in the least.

ITA. And oh will we be commenting. Just because Baez "won" doesn't mean we have to like it or respect it. Yeah, he's got his win, but what at cost? It's shallow like Baez to be on his side just because he won. Wow, three years of this case boiled down to that. Not only is that grossly unfair, but it's a slap in the face to all of the people who actually were on Caylee's side and stood up for her. I guess they mean nothing now because the case was lost? I don't think so. Casey and her DT get no more respect from me because of a one in a freaking million verdict. Yeah, they won, and look how well that victory is playing out for them. I wouldn't want a win like that for anything in the world. A win doesn't wash the slate clean or automatically make a person look good or be good. I don't see any halo over Casey's head or the DT's head now just because they won.

And court cases shouldn't be about wins anyway. That's sports and competitions. Court cases should be about doing what's right and coming up with a right and just verdict. This verdict wasn't right or just, not in the least.

Aedrys . . . I will share some of the most sage wisdom I ever received from a mentor regarding family court decisions regarding children. "It is a court of Law, Not a court of Justice". It is not perfect . . .but it is the best we have. Now to bring this post back to the topic at hand . . .

After reflecting back on the trial and JA's style of "storytelling" vs. JB's style is much more intriguing to me. I do admit I was rivited to JB's opening statements and didn't want to take a break when he asked, nor did I want him to stop. However, JB never connected the dots for me (from point A to point B) . . . ie: how did the limp wet Caylee get from George to KC to the woods? What was the reason so much chloroform was found in KC's trunk? How is "ugly coping" related to someone who has deemed to not have any mental health disorders or presenting diagnosis?

JA connected the dots for me and didn't leave me feeling frustrated and angry like JB did. Just comparing and contrasting the two personalities . . . I really do believe I would enjoy reading JA's version more than JB (should he write a book) and I would trust JA's version to be more truthful.

Respect.

Given that there's a ghost on this book - (can't recall the name, it's mentioned in this thread) and given publishing timelines, this book has been in the pipeline a while. I suspect very little was written post verdict. I also don't think this is going to be a point by point rehash of the case, but rather more of a personal experience piece. The law is by nature adversarial - and while I understand your disappointment somewhat, I don't think Defense Attys are the only ones allowed on the rigorous and passionate platform. MHO

Oh, I absolutely think that prosecutors are as entitled as anyone to that rigourous and passionate platform. Definitely.

I'm just not impressed with books like this, written by the losing side either during a trial or so quickly after it. I know that Ashton's fans are welcoming it with open arms and I would expect that; I am considering this book from a completely different mindset than most here have.

Oh, I absolutely think that prosecutors are as entitled as anyone to that rigourous and passionate platform. Definitely.

I'm just not impressed with books like this, written by the losing side either during a trial or so quickly after it. I know that Ashton's fans are welcoming it with open arms and I would expect that; I am considering this book from a completely different mindset than most here have.

Would your opinion be any different if it had been written by a member of the DT? Not being snarky. Is it the quick publishing date what's bothering you the most or the losing side part?

(and i really do get where you are coming from so far...)

Would your opinion be any different if it had been written by a member of the DT? Not being snarky. Is it the quick publishing date what's bothering you the most or the losing side part?

(and i really do get where you are coming from so far...)

My opinion would be the same no matter which lawyer it was, defense or prosecution. The quick publication to capitalize on the public's interest in this case is a big part of it; I think that cheapens the book and brings it down to tabloid-level. The proposed cover (and I hope it changes, but doubt it) doesn't help. It looks more like a tacky true-crime mass market paperback than what it should have been--a serious look at a case by one of the key participants. The fact that the book's about this one case rather than a true memoir or recap of a long career is another factor. 250 pages just is not enough to say much of anything; I think, though, that it would have taken more time to come up with something better and the publisher and writer(s) couldn't risk missing out sales by delaying the book.

If someone on the defense team came out with a book right now, I'd think the same thing. I don't think they're any more able to take an objective look at their performance and at the case right now than a prosecutor is. The winner runs the risk of gloating too much and the loser runs the risk of playing the blame-game too much and sounding like a whiner.

My opinion would be the same no matter which lawyer it was, defense or prosecution. The quick publication to capitalize on the public's interest in this case is a big part of it; I think that cheapens the book and brings it down to tabloid-level. The proposed cover (and I hope it changes, but doubt it) doesn't help. It looks more like a tacky true-crime mass market paperback than what it should have been--a serious look at a case by one of the key participants. The fact that the book's about this one case rather than a true memoir or recap of a long career is another factor. 250 pages just is not enough to say much of anything; I think, though, that it would have taken more time to come up with something better and the publisher and writer(s) couldn't risk missing out sales by delaying the book.

If someone on the defense team came out with a book right now, I'd think the same thing. I don't think they're any more able to take an objective look at their performance and at the case right now than a prosecutor is.

Thanks - I thought that was where you were coming from - and I totally get that. I suspect and hope there will be a more contemplative book down the line. For whatever reason what comes to mind is the flurry of books post enron-scandel - some good, some not so good each one with a little different point of view. I didn't read or buy the "mommy's little girl" book for the very same reasons you cite. I think my particular interest in this one derives from one of the very same reasons I became and continued to be interested in this particular case - the inner workings of the law and the court system. We've got no such thing as open records in my neck of the woods - I found the inner workings of the machine fascinating (along with my heartbreak over the cause). I learned more about the law and the workings of the court system in three years than I could even imagine. So the point of view of someone inside that machine interests me greatly. As always, the proof will be in the pudding.

Thank you for answering my questions. (and as somebody said yesterday - your avi is muy cool)

BFMD

I would much rather read a book from the winning attorney than the losing one. I wonder if he will touch on the subject of how much his head shaking, eye rolling and snickering probably hurt the prosecution and influenced the jurors.
Well, given that the jury went with the defense - complete with Casey mouthing comments, Mason snickering and blustering, constant sidebars and Baez's meandering questions and 'cutting the cheese' - I'd guess the jurors weren't actually bothered by excessive and distracting shenanigans.

FYI..Nancy G just said on HLN all her money from Dancing is going to The National Foundation of Missing & Exploited Children...

All I can tell you is that his actions totally turned me "off". He was practically
"high-fiving" it as he walked into the courtroom to hear the verdict only to find out they'd lost. And then he was on the first plane to NYC to be on TV (which was probably pre-arranged thinking he would be the victor). IMO, he was seeing dollar signs from the very beginning. I thought the other two prosecutors did an excellent job.

Rock Stars have fans. Sports Teams have fans.
I take exception to the term and consider it demeaning ,but expect that was the intent.

Jeff Ashton worked for the people of the State of FL.He had a stellar professional career. He doesn't have fans,he has citizens who are grateful for the passion he put into his job,the tireless hours he worked,the character he was able to maintain ,even when faced with an unethical opponent .
I thank him for his work on Caylee's case. He's the kind of person I would want working for me. Regardless of the outcome ,he always did the right thing. That counts for a lot more than being able to say "I won".

The best part about Casey's aquittal is that JB ,CM and the Anthony's are now stuck with her on the outside. They weren't counting on that .

All I can tell you is that his actions totally turned me "off". He was practically
"high-fiving" it as he walked into the courtroom to hear the verdict only to find out they'd lost. And then he was on the first plane to NYC to be on TV (which was probably pre-arranged thinking he would be the victor). IMO, he was seeing dollar signs from the very beginning. I thought the other two prosecutors did an excellent job.

..i'm sure baez and cheney had seats on that same plane--------they all "made the media rounds" at the same time..it's that "instant" world we live in, everyone wanted the reactions to the verdict immediatley.

..ashton's Today Show appearance was pre-arranged, the 1st thing mattL said to him was "thank you for honouring your committment to being here this morning, regardless of the outcome..."

..the "bookers" at the OCCourthouse probably had them all lined up before the ink was dry on the verdict forms, that's just the way it is.

"high-fiving" it as he walked into the courtroom to hear the verdict
only to find out they'd lost. And then he was on the first plane to NYC to be on TV (which was probably pre-arranged thinking he would be the victor). IMO, he was seeing dollar signs from the very beginning. I thought the other two prosecutors did an excellent job.

Interesting. How did you feel about Baez actually double-gunning at the camera while waiting for the verdict, and being on tv all the preceding years?

I would much rather read a book from the winning attorney than the losing one. I wonder if he will touch on the subject of how much his head shaking, eye rolling and snickering probably hurt the prosecution and influenced the jurors.

I guess it depends on what you mean by winning. Telling lies and slandering innocent people so a mother could get away with killing her baby isn't really a winner. Very much a loser by most peoples standards.JMO.

BBM. I agree. However ...

There is winning and there is 'winning' at any cost via every trick. Sleaze?

I would much rather read about someone who is a consumate professional, who is ethical, plays by the rules, did not use and manipulate the media both before and during the trial (JB, AL, LKB) and played fast and loose with the truth to victimize others and the system.

I would never want to read a book from any member of the FCA DT and especially not CM or JB. They are not someone to admire, to learn from their brilliance (?) or, ever use them as a baseline standard. Quite the opposite!

I hope she dances better than she reports. :crazy:

I'll be waiting for the cha-cha-cha - (fullstop) Bombshell! as a routine...
Actually that would work better in a conga line...:innocent:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member