Found Deceased IN - Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #157

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replying to my own post here cuz I’m so curious if anyone else knows what I’m talking about with “deadvoice” & hears it in the BG audio & the bit of RA audio that’s out there (… and Sinatra haha, just to try to illustrate what I mean)

To describe, it’s like a flatness & dullness so acute that it sounds like the speaker is so bored he might not even bother to make it to the end of the sentence

Not the he really feels bored of course, it’s just a speaking style … “deadvoice”

Anyone else familiar with deadvoice?
I've listened to the clip available and for me, it's so short and garbled (as is the "guys, down the hill"), it's impossible to tell if it's the same voice. I'm not even convinced a voice expert could make a distinction based on what's available. But, that's jmo.

Replying to my own post here cuz I’m so curious if anyone else knows what I’m talking about with “deadvoice” & hears it in the BG audio & the bit of RA audio that’s out there (… and Sinatra haha, just to try to illustrate what I mean)

To describe, it’s like a flatness & dullness so acute that it sounds like the speaker is so bored he might not even bother to make it to the end of the sentence

Not the he really feels bored of course, it’s just a speaking style … “deadvoice”

Anyone else familiar with deadvoice?
Nope. I even listened to some Ol' Blue Eyes' songs to try to hear out what you're talking about as I'd like to understand what you're describing.

For me, his voice raises a bit on the word hill. Like how you end a sentence that's a question. It doesn't sound monotonal to me (not saying that's what you mean by deadvoice). When I say 'Down the hill' out loud, I drop the word hill (the opposite of my voice raising for a question). Maybe it's different accents in different parts of the country? Maybe if I grew up in Indiana I'd raise the word hill like he does. Maybe I should seek out vids of LE saying Down the hill so I can hear their intonation of that phrase.

I agree. And I was completely shot to pieces when I said the same thing at the time of RA’s arrest.
We shot you to pieces?? Lol! You’re still here :)

The difference in these two cases is Morin was arrested within a year. Easy target as he was the next door neighbour, a bit of an odd soul and LE got tunnel vision and worse. From Google:

“An inquiry culminating in the Kaufman Report into Morin's case also uncovered evidence of police and prosecutorial misconduct, and of misrepresentation of forensic evidence by the Ontario Centre of Forensic Sciences.”

After all the twists and turns in the last almost six years, I just HAVE to believe they’ve got the goods on RA to be confident enough to make the arrest. I can’t imagine they would risk going into this with a weak case. Doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll get a conviction as these things can and do go sideways sometimes regardless of the evidence. JMHO

MOO Carroll County Prosecutor
McLeland passed the bar in 2010 and began a practice that year in Delphi. In 2012 he ran (lost the election) for the Carroll Circuit Court Judge position. He has been an attorney for 12 years, and for the last 5, he has been a prosecutor. As far as his being the elected Carroll County Prosecutor since 2018, I don't see that he has had high-profile cases and I'm not finding any murder prosecutions in that county.
I'm beginning to suspect that the sealing request is coming from some specific investigators and the families having his ear. Even DC said a release would not harm the case. MOO

The defense seems to be much more experienced as attorneys.

According to the article:

"McLeland is the former attorney for the County Commissioners, serves as the Deer Creek Township legal counsel and works for the county as one of several public defenders".

MOO

McLeland passed the bar in 2010 and began a practice that year in Delphi. In 2012 he ran (lost the election) for the Carroll Circuit Court Judge position. He has been an attorney for 12 years, and for the last 5, he has been a prosecutor. As far as his being the elected Carroll County Prosecutor since 2018, I don't see that he has had high-profile cases and I'm not finding any murder prosecutions in that county.
I'm beginning to suspect that the sealing request is coming from some specific investigators and the families having his ear. Even DC said a release would not harm the case. MOO

"McLeland is the former attorney for the County Commissioners, serves as the Deer Creek Township legal counsel and works for the county as one of several public defenders".

MOO
Murder prosecutions: This happened last summer; they were sentenced this year.

Tyrone Leftridge 08C01-2106-F2-000005 Flora 45 yrs
Jennifer Dean 08C01-2107-MR-000002 Flora 60 yrs
Shianne Brooks-Brown 08C01-2106-MR-000001 Flora awaiting trial

MOO

I'm a bit surprised they haven't looked at bringing in a special prosecutor for this case, especially given the (seemingly very able and experienced) new judge. It's going to be an absolute wringer for whomever leads.

OTOH, I confess to a bit of lingering trauma from the Morphew case prosecution / bungle, so maybe he'll do just fine.

Technical question here— RA’s lawyers have not seen all the evidence the prosecution has yet, correct? That evidence will come out during the process of discovery.

So, does this mean RA’s lawyers will have seen the search warrant and results of the search yet, or is that part of discovery?

I know this is a basic question, just want to make sure I understand correctly!

Thanks for your help!

“We’ll see what the evidence looks like,” Baldwin said. “But the PCA, the probable cause affidavit, we are not impressed.”

I don't know what they have in common. We have no idea whatsoever why RA was searched and then arrested. That seems like an illogical leap to me based on very little evidence other than a defense attorney doing what all defense attorney's do.
I would caveat that by saying that defense attorneys rarely say on a murder charge that the case is so weak that their client should be released on their own recognise (with no bail). That's a gutsy play that runs the risk of damaging their credibility with the judge if it's frivolous

Technical question here— RA’s lawyers have not seen all the evidence the prosecution has yet, correct? That evidence will come out during the process of discovery.

So, does this mean RA’s lawyers will have seen the search warrant and results of the search yet, or is that part of discovery?

Thanks for your help!

“We’ll see what the evidence looks like,” Baldwin said. “But the PCA, the probable cause affidavit, we are not impressed.”

That is my understanding..
A judge signed the AA.
Must have had some strong evidence for that to have occurred.

Murder prosecutions: This happened last summer; they were sentenced this year.

Tyrone Leftridge 08C01-2106-F2-000005 Flora 45 yrs
Jennifer Dean 08C01-2107-MR-000002 Flora 60 yrs
Shianne Brooks-Brown 08C01-2106-MR-000001 Flora awaiting trial
Thanks, I remember this but it didn't show up searching for murders in Carroll County. MOO only but it was easily solved and there were plea agreements. No trials
He wasn't the only prosecutor on the case,

Shane Michael Evans
Attorney address
Chief Deputy Prosecuting Attorney

Last edited:
Many of us have followed this case for more than 5 years and I often thought that they would never catch the killer after it was not solved after the first 3 or 4 years.

I am very happy that they have now arrested the alleged perpetrator RA and I honestly don't think they would have taken this step without having solid evidence.

We really don't need to know every little detail of what happened to the girls or what type of creepy stuff they know about RA.

For me, I am just glad that this guy is off the streets as he may have done something similar again to other innocent young girls.

Thanks for your help!

I believe the accused will have received an inventory of items removed

Discovery is where they really see the detail of the evidence against him

Thanks for your help!

Discovery is a process and it's always too slow for the defense and too fast for the prosecution. The prosecution is supposed to work in good faith to turn over all evidence to the defense, including exculpatory material. In practice you may get easy things first - like the search warrants, evidence lists - and access to test results and the actual evidence later. The defense often complains the material is not coming fast enough and they can file motions seeking discovery that they believe/know the prosecution has and isn't providing. Sometimes the judge will get involved helping the parties to set schedules and deadlines to move things along.

At this point I doubt the defense has received anything except the PCA and the PC for the SWs at his house. RA likely received the list of evidence seized.

I believe the accused will have received an inventory of items removed

Discovery is where they really see the detail of the evidence against him
Correct. It's usually on the search warrant but who knows ... proescutors often makes mistakes, as they did -- and the judge did -- with the sealing of the PC

Nope. I even listened to some Ol' Blue Eyes' songs to try to hear out what you're talking about as I'd like to understand what you're describing.

For me, his voice raises a bit on the word hill. Like how you end a sentence that's a question. It doesn't sound monotonal to me (not saying that's what you mean by deadvoice). When I say 'Down the hill' out loud, I drop the word hill (the opposite of my voice raising for a question). Maybe it's different accents in different parts of the country? Maybe if I grew up in Indiana I'd raise the word hill like he does. Maybe I should seek out vids of LE saying Down the hill so I can hear their intonation of that phrase.
Nope I’ve lived in Indiana for some time I drop down on hill also

Nope I’ve lived in Indiana for some time I drop down on hill also
OK, that's VERY interesting to me. And a bit odd that he doesn't drop it it. Was he saying "Down the hill" more like a question? Things that make you go hmmmm....

Thanks, I remember this but it didn't show up searching for murders in Carroll County. MOO only but it was easily solved and there were plea agreements. No trials
He wasn't the only prosecutor on the case,

Shane Michael Evans
Attorney address
Chief Deputy Prosecuting Attorney
Leftridge got the plea, Jennifer Dean went to trial for 8 days.

To me, it's very careful and very intentional language. Those specific words were chosen on purpose to make the point they wanted to make, that RA is directly involved in the murder of those sweet girls. Based on what they charged him with, I do believe they are confident they have at least one of the people responsible. I honestly don't find anything alarming about the language of that statement.

jmo
(and as an O/T aside, every time I see your nickname I say it in my head, lol)
I agree that the words are chosen carefully. I also don't think it's alarming.

But I do think it's revealing of the type of evidence they have. At this point I think it's very likely they have evidence that places RA at the scene, but they don't have strong evidence that he was the actual killer.

That's reflected in the DA's choice of language in this press release ("involved in the murders of Libby and Abby" instead of "murdered Libby and Abby") and it's reflected in the actual charges against Allen. Felony murder is exactly the charge you'd expect for someone involved in a murder kidnapping who didn't commit the actual murder, whereas intentional murder & an additional kidnapping charge is what you'd expect for the actual killer in that scenario. And no, felony murder is not a more serious charge than intentional murder. You get the aggravating factor either way as long as a kidnapping happened.

Now, I don't think that necessarily means that Allen wasn't the actual killer. It's all about what the DA can prove, and he may just not feel confident that they prove that Allen committed the murders himself, even though they believe he did. If that's the case, felony murder is 100% the safer charge.

I do think what we're seeing from the prosecution speaks to a certain lack of clarity of exactly how the crime happened though. But that may not end up being legally important. If they have rock solid evidence that RA was there when it happened, it will be hard for him to avoid a conviction IMO.

WE ARE GOING LATER TONIGHT AT 11:00 PM EASTERN ON WEBSLEUTHS YOUTUBE LIVE!
HAPPY THANKSGIVING
We will have a Delphi update and lets discuss your Thanksgiving stories
Love ya,
Tricia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics