Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #138

Status
Not open for further replies.
... ...Close your eyes and listen to the voice and concentrate on the words as 2 parts. The 1st bit is the “Guys”, the 2nd bit is “Down the hill”. Don’t link them in your head. It’s 2 parts. [... ...] the “Guys” bit was to ensure Abby and Libby’s full attention.
It indicated that he was about to say something important to them specifically.... I think the “Guys” bit may have been released to try to reinforce the fact that BG may not be the somewhat overweight older man we all had in our heads.

Your description of the differing functions of the two different parts of the BG spoken record--one to command attention, one indicating directions--makes perfect sense to me. It sounds obvious once somebody says it but i hadn't considered it. I *have* considered why the audio was released in two parts, at different times, and the police made a point of saying the two statements were made by the same man. Why "guys" was held back at first seemed puzzling (I have a LOT of unanswered questions about this tragic case), but fitting it to clue us to the change in police sketches--that also makes sense. Thanks! --ken

"hey you guys" is the most common usage..or "come on guys"...or "guys! you have to be kidding me"...or "you guys want pizza or mickey d's?" or "you guys are so...." hey guys, what's up...?

I mean really we say this every two seconds around here...mOO
I guess he was trying to be short and direct with them to get control and yet at the same time, tried to sound “friendly” to get them to comply. IMO

I dont think that at all.
JMO but here where I live we always say "GUYS" even referring to a group of girls.

We all see things differently but I think it was just BG referencing to the girls (plural)
And I’ve been in meetings with ten professionals sitting around a table and referred to the group as “you guys”. lol
Just rolls of the tongue when speaking to a group. IMO

When I first heard the recording, “guys” (friendly), “down the hill” (authoritative), I thought… this is someone who has experience with groups of teens/kids. Like a teacher, coach, assistant coach, youth pastor, bus driver, etc. He seemed comfortable addressing them & experienced directing them. Jmo.

Same inevitable question. I posted a link in the thread about the arson fire in Denver about the path it took the police to identify the masked suspects. In that case, the photo of the car involved was very early shown to public. Not to say that they (the police) requested all data from the phone towers, eliminated people who lived in the vicinity, and matched the movements of the phone to those of the car, but they were more open with the public. In four months, they had their suspects.

What prevents ISP from being equally open? Denver case is in court now.

When I first heard the recording, “guys” (friendly), “down the hill” (authoritative), I thought… this is someone who has experience with groups of teens/kids. Like a teacher, coach, assistant coach, youth pastor, bus driver, etc. He seemed comfortable addressing them & experienced directing them. Jmo.
Yes. The use of the word guys signifies nothing. It's all about how he says it.

Yes. The use of the word guys signifies nothing. It's all about how he says it.

And maybe why and where. I'm not convinced it was on Libby's video. I think it's possible it was someone searching for them leaving a voice mail on her phone (that was then recovered) and LE dubbed it in there to let him know they are on to him. Just a theory.

And maybe why and where. I'm not convinced it was on Libby's video. I think it's possible it was someone searching for them leaving a voice mail on her phone (that was then recovered) and LE dubbed it in there to let him know they are on to him. Just a theory.
I'm sorry, but I see no substantive support for that theory. Frankly, I don't think LE's on to anyone.

The “Guys” bit was released at the same time as the new (old) sketch and a short video of him walking.

LIBERTY GERMAN | Federal Bureau of Investigation

Close your eyes and listen to the voice and concentrate on the words as 2 parts. The 1st bit is the “Guys”, the 2nd bit is “Down the hill”. Don’t link them in your head. It’s 2 parts.

I think the “Guys” bit sounds like a younger voice and it’s clearer. The “Down the hill” bit is deeper, gruffer and mumbled. It’s not as clear.

If you are, for whatever reason trying to hide your identity, changing your voice is really useful. I’m female and when I try to say “Guys, down the hill”, in a different voice, the “Guys” bit is higher in pitch and harder to change. The “down the hill” bit is easier to alter and easier still if you have a scarf round your neck and speak into that.

The “Guys” bit was to ensure Abby and Libby’s full attention.
It indicated that he was about to say something important to them specifically. We all use words in this way, like ‘guys’, ‘hey’, ‘right’ etc. He’d need to be looking directly at them, with eye contact. The “Down the hill” bit could be backed up with gestures, he didn’t have to be so clear in his speech.

So, part of the voice sounds younger and it’s released at the same time a sketch of a younger person is released. I think the “Guys” bit may have been released to try to reinforce the fact that BG may not be the somewhat overweight older man we all had in our heads.

What about mimicking an accent? Is Midwestern consonant-, or vowel-based? What sounds change more?

It might be so that “guys” simply has fewer sounds and he pronounces it “in an ordinary way”, and “down the hill” sounds more Midwestern because it is a longer phrase?

Same inevitable question. I posted a link in the thread about the arson fire in Denver about the path it took the police to identify the masked suspects. In that case, the photo of the car involved was very early shown to public. Not to say that they (the police) requested all data from the phone towers, eliminated people who lived in the vicinity, and matched the movements of the phone to those of the car, but they were more open with the public. In four months, they had their suspects.

What prevents ISP from being equally open? Denver case is in court now.

There was nothing stopping ISP from being more open with information early on or now. It was a huge mistake on their part. Any claims they made about “jeopardizing the investigation” were rendered invalid at least three years ago.
My opinion is that not releasing more information is the number one reason this case remains unsolved today and I fear it might be too late now.

What about mimicking an accent? Is Midwestern consonant-, or vowel-based? What sounds change more?

It might be so that “guys” simply has fewer sounds and he pronounces it “in an ordinary way”, and “down the hill” sounds more Midwestern because it is a longer phrase?
A BG, who ie. spent years of his life in 2 different (or more) US federal states, may have no problem to change his accent, even unintentionally.

The “Guys” bit was released at the same time as the new (old) sketch and a short video of him walking.

LIBERTY GERMAN | Federal Bureau of Investigation

Close your eyes and listen to the voice and concentrate on the words as 2 parts. The 1st bit is the “Guys”, the 2nd bit is “Down the hill”. Don’t link them in your head. It’s 2 parts.

I think the “Guys” bit sounds like a younger voice and it’s clearer. The “Down the hill” bit is deeper, gruffer and mumbled. It’s not as clear.

If you are, for whatever reason trying to hide your identity, changing your voice is really useful. I’m female and when I try to say “Guys, down the hill”, in a different voice, the “Guys” bit is higher in pitch and harder to change. The “down the hill” bit is easier to alter and easier still if you have a scarf round your neck and speak into that.

The “Guys” bit was to ensure Abby and Libby’s full attention.
It indicated that he was about to say something important to them specifically. We all use words in this way, like ‘guys’, ‘hey’, ‘right’ etc. He’d need to be looking directly at them, with eye contact. The “Down the hill” bit could be backed up with gestures, he didn’t have to be so clear in his speech.

So, part of the voice sounds younger and it’s released at the same time a sketch of a younger person is released. I think the “Guys” bit may have been released to try to reinforce the fact that BG may not be the somewhat overweight older man we all had in our heads.
Crime Watch Daily visits Delphi to join manhunt for Indiana girls' murderer
"Hopefully somebody recognizes that voice," said Slocum. "It sounds like he's a little exasperated, like he told them before to do it."

I can't hear the differences in part 1= "guys" and part 2= "down the hill", and I can't hear, whether BG's voice sounds "exasperated". :( Doesn't mean, you aren't right!

There was nothing stopping ISP from being more open with information early on or now. It was a huge mistake on their part. Any claims they made about “jeopardizing the investigation” were rendered invalid at least three years ago.
My opinion is that not releasing more information is the number one reason this case remains unsolved today and I fear it might be too late now.

I am positive it is too late. For whatever reason, LE involved in solving the case did not want to share the information with the public.

There should have been more honesty and transparency, and not only because of justice for the girls and their families.

ISP, and all involved owe it to all unjustly accused in the court of public opinion.

<modsnip>

The video with voice should have been released immediately, IMO while this was fresh in everyone’s mind. To wait and ask people to think back was a mistake. In the moment, peeps close to BG may have noticed odd behaviour, missed work, appts missed etc.

I think it was a lost opportunity.

The different sketches still leave me scratching my head. I’ve never been able to reconcile the two different sketches. I CANT UNSEE the original sketch.

They need to put something else out there if they want our help. They need to jog memories. Right now there is only apathy.

On the other side of the coin, maybe they do know who it is but can’t prove it. No need to tell us because they know.

I can’t help but think that some terrible blunders have been made and the investigation may not recover. I honestly think they need fresh eyes on this.

MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
Crime Watch Daily visits Delphi to join manhunt for Indiana girls' murderer
"Hopefully somebody recognizes that voice," said Slocum. "It sounds like he's a little exasperated, like he told them before to do it."

I can't hear the differences in part 1= "guys" and part 2= "down the hill", and I can't hear, whether BG's voice sounds "exasperated". :( Doesn't mean, you aren't right!

I hadn’t seen this article and I definitely don’t hear exasperation. Libby and Abby are young teenagers, alone in an extremely vulnerable position, in the middle of nowhere. It appears no-one saw them, so presumably they saw no-one else. This guy comes lumbering across the bridge, which I assume was their planned route back to the meeting point. If I was Libby or Abby and this man told me to do something, when there appears to be no alternative way to escape, I’d do what I was told, straight away. I’d worry he would throw us off the bridge if we made him angry. If he was exasperated, surely he’d shout? He isn’t shouting.

100 percent agree. The other thing I can't get over is how aggressively they prosecuted RL. I get that he broke the law, but they also actually made a statement in an interview with a local newspaper or station that they would arrest people or investigate if they found evidence of unrelated wrongdoing, which I think was a big mistake in getting tips. If I had minor crimes or used drugs or some thing, no way would I even risk talking to police even if I knew something once they said that. I might be hesitant even to submit an anonymous tip thinking they could track me down.

It's probably way too late to encourage people to submit tips and say that they don't care about anything else that they've done, but it certainly couldn't hurt.

<modsnip>

The video with voice should have been released immediately, IMO while this was fresh in everyone’s mind. To wait and ask people to think back was a mistake. In the moment, peeps close to BG may have noticed odd behaviour, missed work, appts missed etc.

I think it was a lost opportunity.

The different sketches still leave me scratching my head. I’ve never been able to reconcile the two different sketches. I CANT UNSEE the original sketch.

They need to put something else out there if they want our help. They need to jog memories. Right now there is only apathy.

On the other side of the coin, maybe they do know who it is but can’t prove it. No need to tell us because they know.

I can’t help but think that some terrible blunders have been made and the investigation may not recover. I honestly think they need fresh eyes on this.

MOO

I completely agree especially that “terrible blunders” have been made.
It is mind boggling to me that LE still refuses to release anymore information. That strategy has been proven ineffective and wrong after five years. Surely they can see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500