Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #138

Status
Not open for further replies.
It couldn't hurt for LE on Delphi murders to compare similarities with the Evansdale murders. There are a few things that are very similar. Here are things that stood out to me. The killer has not been caught. The fact that there's two girls similar in looks and age. They have never made public the cause of death in the Evansdale muders.

... I can't hear the differences in part 1= "guys" and part 2= "down the hill", and I can't hear, whether BG's voice sounds "exasperated". :( Doesn't mean, you aren't right!

Your understanding of context and connotation in English is MUCH better than mine is in German. :-> (I'm guessing that perhaps "FromGermany1" indicates that you are a non-native speaker of English?) As Judge and Ozoner noted, to a native speaker of standard US English, "guys" is inflected upward at the end, as if hinting slightly at it being a question from someone in authority. As in: "Guys? You need to pay attention." It calls for the attention of the girls, but it is (IMO) a question by its inflection, and a bit of a command by its tone. One often hears this upward-inflection that makes a statement sound like a question in pre-adult girls, though in their case, the question-sound indicates deference to authority, unlike BG's question-sound.

Then the "DTH" speech is in an authoritative voice, to my ear. I don't hear "exasperated" in the "DTH" tone as much as I hear a voice establishing control over others, with an imperative quality. This difference in interpretation is obviously VERY subjective. Most of us agree on how to interpret tone of voice most of the time in most situations--but there's a lot of variability in it.

So to me and in my own opinion only, the tone of "Guys" means 'Listen, and I'm not joking around, OK?' And then in "DTH" the speaker sounds to me that he expects to be obeyed, but isn't being harsh about it--to me it sounds very much in control, not really "exasperated." That's my own reading of it; your mileage may vary.

I'm not trying to overelaborate this; it just did not consciously occur to me that the two parts of the BG audio are so different in tone. It sounds obvious once it is pointed out, but I didn't hear it before. It might well not be noticed by someone who isn't a native speaker of English.

VERY interesting observations; this theme is stretching my brain--and very usefully, too.

Given that the Delphi case might be tainted by association, and that Doug Carter clearly executes poor judgment by continuing to meet with a retired official whose name is mentioned in conjunction with a nation-wise scandal related to sexual abuse of over a hundred teenagers, and Delphi case is related to murder and possibly, abuse of two teenagers, I feel the public has the right to demand more transparency about the Delphi case from DC.

<modsnip>

The video with voice should have been released immediately, IMO while this was fresh in everyone’s mind. To wait and ask people to think back was a mistake. In the moment, peeps close to BG may have noticed odd behaviour, missed work, appts missed etc.

I think it was a lost opportunity.

The different sketches still leave me scratching my head. I’ve never been able to reconcile the two different sketches. I CANT UNSEE the original sketch.

They need to put something else out there if they want our help. They need to jog memories. Right now there is only apathy.

On the other side of the coin, maybe they do know who it is but can’t prove it. No need to tell us because they know.

I can’t help but think that some terrible blunders have been made and the investigation may not recover. I honestly think they need fresh eyes on this.

MOO
As far as profiling goes, it os my understanding that this perpetrator, based on findings on the crime scene, would go back to his normal routine as if nothing ever happened. MOO

"hey you guys" is the most common usage..or "come on guys"...or "guys! you have to be kidding me"...or "you guys want pizza or mickey d's?" or "you guys are so...." hey guys, what's up...?

I mean really we say this every two seconds around here...mOO
I suppose it holds a different meaning or sense of what was being said to me. Where I grew up it was ALWAYS "Ya'll". "Guys" was something I don't ever recall hearing back then.

100 percent agree. The other thing I can't get over is how aggressively they prosecuted RL. I get that he broke the law, but they also actually made a statement in an interview with a local newspaper or station that they would arrest people or investigate if they found evidence of unrelated wrongdoing, which I think was a big mistake in getting tips. If I had minor crimes or used drugs or some thing, no way would I even risk talking to police even if I knew something once they said that. I might be hesitant even to submit an anonymous tip thinking they could track me down.

It's probably way too late to encourage people to submit tips and say that they don't care about anything else that they've done, but it certainly couldn't hurt.
I always thought the same thing. Why state that when you want tips??? Of course, this was within the first month or two of the investigation and I believe all of us thought this was going to be solved in short order. LE may have even believed that to be the case. Hindsight being 20-20 I wonder if there aren't those in LE that now believe that statement was an error.

I'm not trying to overelaborate this; it just did not consciously occur to me that the two parts of the BG audio are so different in tone. It sounds obvious once it is pointed out, but I didn't hear it before. It might well not be noticed by someone who isn't a native speaker of English.

VERY interesting observations; this theme is stretching my brain--and very usefully, too.

Thank you!

I’d listened to these words what felt like hundreds of times before I listened again and decided to close my eyes to see if I could get more from it. Once I separated the 2 parts of ‘Guys’ and ‘DTH’, it just seemed clear to me that they are very different.

I thought people might think I was clutching at straws, so I’m relieved that it’s not just me who hears the difference. Maybe because I’m English, I could get past the accent and concentrate more on the tone. I had no expectations or assumptions based on the accent and perhaps that helped me to hear things in a different way?

I am of the opinion that they know who it is. It's someone in the neighborhood, someone high up and they don't have the evidence. But still being tight lipped they will never have the evidence

Someone in that area IMHO did this. And police know who it is

This person also knows what evidence they have Possibly why they set up a new center and will have strict rules on the eyes on

Given that the Delphi case might be tainted by association, and that Doug Carter clearly executes poor judgment by continuing to meet with a retired official whose name is mentioned in conjunction with a nation-wise scandal related to sexual abuse of over a hundred teenagers, and Delphi case is related to murder and possibly, abuse of two teenagers, I feel the public has the right to demand more transparency about the Delphi case from DC.
Both of these individuals were appointed to their positions, and neither are civil service positions. Nobody, and I mean nobody, gets appointed to any non civil service government job without somebody sprinkling what is referred to as "holy water" on them.

Said holy water usually limits termination options, as well.

I think that is as far as I can go w/o crossing the TOS line.

Both of these individuals were appointed to their positions, and neither are civil service positions. Nobody, and I mean nobody, gets appointed to any non civil service government job without somebody sprinkling what is referred to as "holy water" on them.

Said holy water usually limits termination options, as well.

I think that is as far as I can go w/o crossing the TOS line.

Thank you for explaining it to me. All these news came out as a complete surprise yesterday, and I think I got even more disappointed about the whole case. Towards the evening, I actually looked at it from a different perspective (how 90% of anyone's job is eaten up by bureaucracy and paperwork). Wish them luck in the case, if ever...

Should we stop innuendos when discussing Indiana officials? Their morals are all over the world now ((
FBI chief who ignored Larry Nassar claims is seen enjoying retirement

He oversaw the Delphi case. And one of them, JA or DC, said they are still meeting monthly to discuss it?

Wow!

The mishandling of the Nassar case was shocking to say the least. I hadn't realized until now that the same FBI office was involved in both cases, but of course, USA Gymnastics is headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Your post generated a few questions/thoughts.

- did they announce Indiana murders on Illinois TV?

RSBM

I'm in IL and distinctly remember both reading about and watching coverage of the Delphi murders the week they happened - I think it was actually the very next day. In fact, I remember initially reading about two girls going missing from a walking/hiking trail (those always stick out to me because I hike so much), so that would have had to have been released early in the day on the 14th before bodies had been located.

In terms of how people were dressed, according to this: Weather in February 2017 in Delphi, Indiana, USA, the high that day was 45 degrees but that was at noon. It was probably slightly cooler than that a couple hours later as the sun was going lower. It also said there was a slight breeze at 9 mph. Although the sun helps, the sun's angle isn't as powerful in the winter. I live in the Midwest and would personally still have a jacket/coat on if going out in the 40s even if it was sunny. I would be cold in just a lightweight sweater or something like that.

I also know that in the Midwest, after it's been super cold, the 40s and sunny feels nice and you may want to underdress because you are so sick of wearing a coat! I think that, coupled with style reasons, may be why the girls didn't want to bring/wear coats. As an adult, I just want to be comfortable and am over dressing for style lol. Just me personally, I don't feel BG looks overdressed. Now, I'm not saying he doesn't have something concealed under his coat and he may have worn it to also conceal something, but I don't feel he would stick out like a sore thumb for being overdressed is what I'm saying. MOO

As far as profiling goes, it os my understanding that this perpetrator, based on findings on the crime scene, would go back to his normal routine as if nothing ever happened. MOO
And further: I think, he always went back to his routine immediately. (Not his first rodeo, as US people say.) Maybe, some people had suspicions, but he dispelled their ( unspoken!) doubts in his own manner and with 99% persuasiveness and a lot of charme and "lovely" wild boyishness incl. "happiness" (which can deceive). IMO

Last edited:
I suppose it holds a different meaning or sense of what was being said to me. Where I grew up it was ALWAYS "Ya'll". "Guys" was something I don't ever recall hearing back then.

Definitely regionalisms. My father was a farmboy from Pennsylvania who spoke German at home growing up. My mother was a farmgirl from Mississippi. A standard greeting in our cross-cultural household was "wie gehts, y'all?"

... in the Midwest, after it's been super cold, the 40s and sunny feels nice and you may want to underdress because you are so sick of wearing a coat! I think that, coupled with style reasons, may be why the girls didn't want to bring/wear coats. ... I'm not saying he doesn't have something concealed under his coat and he may have worn it to also conceal something, but I don't feel he would stick out like a sore thumb for being overdressed is what I'm saying. MOO

Good point! Teen girls often seem to pick style over comfort when choosing clothes. And I think you're right that BG would probably not have looked out of place with a jacket plus whatever plus the hat/hoodie, even if he were using them for disguise and concealment.

Our temps here in North Carolina lately have been from the low-fourties (F) in the morning to maybe low-60s by midafternoon. In the mornings I work outside in a t-shirt under a light cotton shortsleeve button-up, unbuttoned, cargo shorts, and sneakers. ("Sneaker," actually--my prosthetic foot doesn't ever complain about being cold.) ;-) I remember being in Lincoln Nebraska for a January, two dozen years ago, and when the temp got above freezing, the students would be out in t-shirts and shorts, basking and playing in the sun. :)

It couldn't hurt for LE on Delphi murders to compare similarities with the Evansdale murders. There are a few things that are very similar. Here are things that stood out to me. The killer has not been caught. The fact that there's two girls similar in looks and age. They have never made public the cause of death in the Evansdale muders.
sorry but they are far from being similar in age and looks
children vs young teens ( with libby possible to pass for a senior teen in looks )

I think just Midwesterners :)
After a long, cold winter, 50 degrees F and sunny feels positively summer-like! MOO

This is exactly what happened. The first episode of the Down the Hill podcast is titled "Don't forget your coat". According to the show the grandmother and the sister told them they should wear something warmer. I believe the sister even went back into the house and grabbed sweaters for them just in case. At their age and with the day off they where pumped about the weather and just wanted to enjoy it. BG might have been out there for quite awhile looking for his opportunity. Could it be that he was overdressed because he had went on the hunt before he knew how the weather was going to turn out that day? Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500