Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #94

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
Have followed this case closely for 2 years but haven’t posted much.
My humble opinion is 100% today that LE knows who the killer is. I feel no doubt whatsoever. Just my opinion.
My question is... if, hypothetically... LE knows who the killer is and knew at the press conference... why the press conference? Do they need more to convict? Do they want a confession so it’s an easier case to prosecute? Do they want the killer to sweat it out? Is it as simple as that? If they do indeed have DNA, wouldn’t a match prove the case? I know it’s been discussed but would love to hear some more thoughts on this.
My opinion is... something happened to point them in a different direction that began with the car parked at the abandoned building. That led to reviewing other sketches. But the biggest thing I cannot quite figure out is if indeed they know who it is (which I am certain of, IMO) why the press conference? Why isn’t he under arrest?

In terms of mannerisms in the video footage of the suspect, to me it looks like the BG is walking with his thumbs hooked in his front pockets with fingers curled inwards to the palms. There's just too much skin showing for the idea that he's got his hands in his pockets to ward off the chill or to look non-threatening. I even think it's possible that his left forefinger is extended. I do think he's skinnier than he appears on the footage, the bulky ill-fitting clothing is altering his physique.

I am leaning towards him being a member of the local community who is well-respected and with an association with a church in the area. I think he's college age and possibly lives close to campus but has family and work ties which bring him back to Delphi on occasion. I think he's familiar with the hiking trail due to previous youth activities. I think psychological stresses caused him to lash out, but that he's managed to remain high functioning to a degree that enables him to 'hide' this other more disturbing side. I do think that those closest to him probably do know or suspect but are in heavy denial. They may have given him an alibi which is why the sketch which is more accurate never got released in the beginning. They probably think that turning him now in will only ruin more lives.

I believe he did participate in the volunteer search for the girls on the 14th, for obvious reasons. LE may be particularly upset because of this, knowing that they interacted with him while he played concerned citizen.

I think the car parked at the old CPS building is a vital clue to linking this guy to the murders and that LE have identified him but still need more corroboration and evidence to make a case for conviction. I wouldn't be surprised if the alibi is still a sticking point and that's why they need more sightings of him with that car or near it.

I'm really surprised by all the posters who think the suspect's speech sounds "authoritative," "commanding" or "assertive." Granted it doesn't sound coaxing or pleading, but I perceive it only as conversational. "Guys, down the hill" sounds like a declarative statement, not even spoken as a command. He sounds like he could be answering the question, "Which way do we go?" Of course, I don't believe that's what actually happened.

After a career in teaching and raising kids, I've had the opportunity to hear a lot of teachers, principals, coaches and parents assertively direct children and teens, and to me, the guy in the recording didn't sound like them. I don't know what others are hearing that I am not.

Another puzzling thing to me is the number of posters who think that a person in his twenties isn't normally going to be able to sound "mature" or "authoratative." Most people by their late teens or twenties have learned both how to manipulate their voice and to do simple register switching. So, IMO, it would not be very hard for a young man to do either. A person raised with younger siblings or dogs is likely to have had a lot of practice at giving commands by the time he is in his late teens or twenties. However, that life experience "practice" isn't necessary to learning how to manipulate the voice or switch register.

In other words, I don't find the suspect's speech authoratative or his voice indicative of a man in his forties or fifties. MOO.

Totally respect your opinion.

I havnt had a career in teaching so have not spent as much time around the amount of children/teens that you will have so your opinion does make some sense to me but I don't agree fully (though I do in part).

But then it's a discussion thread so we are going to have differing opinions, but like I said totally respect yours.

Just hope there is an arrest soon it has been way too long.

Hi all,
My humble opinion is 100% today that LE knows who the killer is. I feel no doubt whatsoever. Just my opinion.
My question is... if, hypothetically... LE knows who the killer is and knew at the press conference... why the press conference? Do they need more to convict? Do they want a confession so it’s an easier case to prosecute? Do they want the killer to sweat it out? Is it as simple as that? If they do indeed have DNA, wouldn’t a match prove the case? I know it’s been discussed but would love to hear some more thoughts on this.
My opinion is... something happened to point them in a different direction that began with the car parked at the abandoned building. That led to reviewing other sketches. But the biggest thing I cannot quite figure out is if indeed they know who it is (which I am certain of, IMO) why the press conference? Why isn’t he under arrest?

Suppose they have a suspect. My hunch would be they've been tipped off about him in the past, I think likely in the recent past.

We have a sketch from July of '17 which is no longer associated with the case. I think LE sat on the fact that the old/original sketch is not of the killer, for a long time, now. They just didn't want to tip their hand, while continuing the investigation, figuring BG would have his guard down some. Maybe even rattle BG's cage a little with the sketch released last Monday.

I think BG is a relatively young, and possibly an inexperienced killer. I was picturing someone who would be a lot older, and who has killed before, maybe in different states. Young definitely fits now, too, I think because of the walking involved, wading across the creek, being out in the chilly temps, the speed of the crimes, etc.

JMO

I had not realized that they had confirmed the first sketch is redundant.

I wonder who the hell that was then as it’s not related to the crime why wouldn’t they of come forward?

I also said the two sketches bore no resemblance to each other so I’m glad that’s been cleared up even if I hadn’t read about it until now.

I just wanted to address an assumption that's been going around here since the recent press conference. There was talk of the family walking out angrily before/at the beginning of it. But I've been going over a lot of footage of the April 22 PC and Libby's mother (and supporters) and Libby's grandmother Becky (and supporters) were there throughout and did not walk out.

Here is an example of news footage which shows them about 3 and a half mins into the briefing:

I found a video of the entire briefing on FB (non news source) which shows them still there after 6:40 mins. If any of the family had walked out at any stage, they would have had to walk past this person who was filming due to the positioning of the exits. There's no evidence they did.

So can we treat that "walked out in a huff" stuff as a rumor to be taken with a huge grain of salt?

My theory:
I believe (always have) that the motive for the murders was that one of the girls knew something about the killer, something that she possibly had threatened to tell, and that the consequences for the killer would be a catastrophe to him and his life.

I also believe that the killer chose a MO that should make the murders look like a different kind of murder than it actually was, like feks. a lust murder and/or a sexual motivated murder.

Do we know how they came up with the first drawing as if it was one witness giving them details on bridge guy it’s suspicious as all get out that it now bears no resemblance to the second drawing.

IMO

Hi all,
My opinion is they lack critical evidence to convict even “if” they know his identity; I’m still thinking that BG left little evidence at scene; they may be trying smoke him out by having someone who knows him step up to help corroborate that he told them etc; IIRC there’s a huge $ reward on the table, I’m shocked that hasn’t triggered the lead LE needs.

There doesn't appear to be any backpack straps showing on the front of his jacket like you would expect to see though.
If he is carrying something resembling an army duffle (carried on one shoulder), I don’t see how we could distinguish a dark strap on the left side of his body, which is very shaded. I definitely agree that I don’t see a strap on his right shoulder.

I apologise if this has been mentioned already, I'm still wading through thread #92 but just wanted to put my thoughts out there. Thank you so much to the poster who recommended the podcast Infamous Indy who did an episode on the Delphi murders and did a great interview with Kelsi German, Libby's sister. It was very informative and really went into details about the searching up until they were found.
Something she said which stood out to me ( around the 17.19 minute mark) was on the 13th, while that were out searching
" they got a few calls that the girls were at the middle school gym, that they were at the high school, there were like games going on I guess that day, so they thought that's where they were, so we went to look"
"Was that within walking distance?"
"Absolutely not, it was wierd to think that people would think they were there because nobody picked them up"

Now I'm sure the most likely reason is people weren't too worried at that point and were just trying to be helpful and suggest that's where they might have gone but it did occur to me that maybe someone was trying to throw them off track, create time and distance from the girls being found, buy them time, or seem like a concerned member of the community. It ties in with the feeling its someone close to one of the families, or even known to the girls.

After the PC, I like many others have a very good feeling that they are close to an arrest and just need more information to build a strong case. I can't stop thinking about how emotional Sgt Carter was and that something has to have come to their attention to change the course of their investigation so drastically!

Final thought is what an amazingly courageous young lady Kelsi is to be such a strong advocate for her sister and Abby. I have so much respect for her and pray there is a resolution to the case soon so there is justice for Libby and Abby and their families.

My opinion is they lack critical evidence to convict even “if” they know his identity; I’m still thinking that BG left little evidence at scene; they may be trying smoke him out by having someone who knows him step up to help corroborate that he told them etc; IIRC there’s a huge $ reward on the table, I’m shocked that hasn’t triggered the lead LE needs.
I think LE knows exactly who BG is. But, I think he must have a large enough precense in and around the community, that someone is heavily protecting him somehow (false alibi?). It could be LE knows this and knows who the protector is, or it could be that they don't know. Either way, they are trying to flush out one of the two, or both. However, and for whatever reason, the reward money isn't important enough to the protector(s) to turn BG in. It could be driven by fear, or denial, or some of both.

LE has painted a picture that BG acted alone, but what if he didn't? What if an accomplice somehow assisted BG and is protecting him/herself as well as BG. I feel the old saying "blood is thicker than water" may apply here and that his protection is being provided by one or more family members.

If there is an accomplice, family or not, perhaps the 2 sketches are different because of there being 2 participants. I wonder if LE thought sketch #1 was the killer, and is actually a protector. The turning point and release of sketch #2 could be due to LE obtaining info that sketch #2 is the actual killer.
JMO

Last edited:
As I have been hypothysizing since Monday: moo. Mid twenties highly educated man who is embedded in religious community and known to LE as having ties to many people in Delphi. History of severe mental illness such as major depression with psychotic features.
Snipped. I now agree that he could be in his early to mid-twenties, but I'm not convinced that he would have a history of mental illness. He could be working as a pastor or youth pastor or could be a seminary student. If there is a religious connection as implied at the press conference, he could have weird ideas about sex being evil which might have led him to the crime. He might blame women for his sexual urges that he believes interfere with his calling if he believes he was "called" to be a pastor. Abby and Libby might have represented a temptation that he wanted to eliminate. If the girls were left in or near water, that could be meant to symbolize baptism/rebirth as opposed to being an attempt to get rid of DNA.

I thought that originally too. But it could easily be a younger persons voice especially the 'guy's bit, but the voice sounds confident and assertive so if someone younger I think someone used to public speaking and probably more confident at speaking than the average young person.
Again, your description sounds like someone who is trained as a pastor or who has a father or other family member who is a pastor and has therefore had opportunities to speak in front of a congregation.

I had this theory that if you were to convert each frame of the bridge guy video to 32 bit, then align, reduce opacity, and layer these in Photoshop it would give you a clearer image of the suspect. And, it worked.

The video stills create so many artifacts that we see hair, a mustache, sagging jowls, a bulbous nose. But, when the layers are lined up, the "real pixels" are magnified while the false pixels are canceled out. The reason for converting the stills to 32 bits is to allow the artifacts to essentially get lost in the other color channels.

The biggest mistake of this investigation was releasing those stills. They create a false concept of what this perpetrator actually looks like. In reality, he looks much closer to the more recent sketch. I know we can't release modified versions of the images so I'm not doing that now. But, I will be contacting ISP next week to see if they can duplicate this independently.

This is fantastic!

I have wondered if the release of the new-to-us sketch had anything to do with better technology, especially with the advances that have been made in digital photography and imaging in the last couple of years.

If that turns out to be the case, I can only imagine the emotions one would feel with the realization that they already had a sketch of him that they didn't use.

I’m new to this case and WS but have been reading about this tragic case. I have a question about the location the bodies were found. Someone posted a map the indicated they were found on the opposite side of the creek from where the apparent abduction took place.
If this is true, would someone have been able to wade the creek in February?
If BG carried/dragged bodies across the creek, did he the hike back up hill and cross bridge? Or could he have returned to car by walking along the creek?
Sorry if this has been discussed previously, just trying to think about possibilities.

Many have speculated that BG is some highly respected local official, someone well known etc.

I don’t believe this to be the case

I find it likely that superintendent Carter meant hiding in plain sight. As in a local, nothing more

I think it’s more likely very few people know this guy, I think he likely lives an insignificant existence. Remedial job etc. no college, if he did go to college he likely dropped out.

Many of these types of killers are very impulsive and as such never follow through with things they commit to in their own daily lives

This attack was brazen and I believe a local who is well known wouldn’t of taken that chance.

Plus I think it’s highly likely BG has social interaction issues and a volatile temper. Many of these types do

I had this theory that if you were to convert each frame of the bridge guy video to 32 bit, then align, reduce opacity, and layer these in Photoshop it would give you a clearer image of the suspect. And, it worked.

The video stills create so many artifacts that we see hair, a mustache, sagging jowls, a bulbous nose. But, when the layers are lined up, the "real pixels" are magnified while the false pixels are canceled out. The reason for converting the stills to 32 bits is to allow the artifacts to essentially get lost in the other color channels.

The biggest mistake of this investigation was releasing those stills. They create a false concept of what this perpetrator actually looks like. In reality, he looks much closer to the more recent sketch. I know we can't release modified versions of the images so I'm not doing that now. But, I will be contacting ISP next week to see if they can duplicate this independently.

meanlittlemonkey Fantastic work ! Can't wait to see the image you have improved .
I wonder how come the police/other technical institutions, have not been able to do that same improvement ?

I just wanted to address an assumption that's been going around here since the recent press conference. There was talk of the family walking out angrily before/at the beginning of it. But I've been going over a lot of footage of the April 22 PC and Libby's mother (and supporters) and Libby's grandmother Becky (and supporters) were there throughout and did not walk out.

Here is an example of news footage which shows them about 3 and a half mins into the briefing:

I found a video of the entire briefing on FB (non news source) which shows them still there after 6:40 mins. If any of the family had walked out at any stage, they would have had to walk past this person who was filming due to the positioning of the exits. There's no evidence they did.

So can we treat that "walked out in a huff" stuff as a rumor to be taken with a huge grain of salt?

Excellent find! Thank you so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member