IN - Abigail Williams, 13, & Liberty German, 14, Delphi, 13 Feb 2017 #23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to nitpick, but after Jessie Matthews was apprehended during the Hannah Graham case, I recall LE didn't want people to jump to conclusions about a correlation with Morgan. They were fairly quick to squash rumors. Until there was a true match.
Yuh huh. Exactly. I'm going to find that link for Soulmagnet when of off work TN at 10p. I remember thinking, what are the chances we got lucky enough to solve two crimes...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Michael Stroup interviews Sheriff Tobe Leazenby in a phone interview with regard to the case.

Basically he can not answer many of his questions due to investigation integrity but the latter part of the interview he discusses the suspect (s) "locale" it is a real punch in the gut and totally disheartening.

[video=youtube;K_ISwatrrpY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_ISwatrrpY&t=24s[/video]

Man, it really sounds like this case is going cold.

IIRC, a family member will be answering questions, and will not be speaking to the investigation. I've not seen anything that says LE will be making a statement.

:moo:

LE is going to be there. I don't know if they will make a statement.

They knew from the minute they had the the search warrent returned for Matthews Apartment.
The information about connections we were waiting on was if Randy Taylor could be connected to Morgan or if Jesse Matthews could be connected to Alexis Murphey.
But they withheld that info from the public for awhile.

That photo won't find this man. U can bet you last dollar
he looks nothing like that any more.
I won't be surprised, if they catch the guy, that he looks nothing like the pics that we've been looking at.
Years ago a pic came out in the paper of someone caught on camera of a guy robbing a store. My hubs got a call from his brother saying the guy looked just like him, I even thought it did. When they caught the guy and showed his mug shot I was floored that he looked nothing like the pic we saw. Not because he changed his appearance but because of the pic that was caught on camera.

Yeah it's definitely a ball cap type hat, the bill of the hat has been severely curved/warped by hand. Leads me to believe its an older hat, it takes time and effort to get a hat to shape this way. You have to literally hold the bill of the hat in your hand or hands, it bend it until the two edges touch each other. After doing this several hundred times, it eventually stays this way. I never see a hat this way in the city/suburbs anymore. I drive all over Indiana for my job, sometimes when I stop at rural gas stations, I will still see a ball cap being worn this way. Also there is a certain age that grew up with this trend of bending the ball cap. I'm 34, I remember it being trendy when I was in little league. I would guess the perp between 30-40 based off of this. To some this may seem insignificant or stupid, but I think it is a good clue to look for.

Not wanting to get back in to the hat/no hat theory but I would like to say that the curvy-billed baseball cap is still the rage in the part of rural Mississippi I used to live in and I was just there for a visit not that long ago!

Respectfully I highly doubt that, very highly doubt that. They have declared him their main suspect, they have declared he participated in the murders, they must have evidence that proves that. He's on the FBI's most wanted list, he's not some simple guy walking his dog, he is an (accused) murderer.

I agree. They came out and said they had evidence that he is their suspect. I do find the word "participated" interesting. They never say that. I don't know if they are certain of another individual or if they are trying to keep from being too committed to one theory so they don't overlook something.

Not that this could not have happened on the trail but that bridge should be torn down, i can't imagine what it would cost to make it a safe place to walk. It's not part of the trail from what i can see. Jmo

This is an historic bridge. It's the second highest bridge in Indiana. Actually, it's also part of a proposed trail expansion in Indiana, plus there's a Facebook Page dedicated to saving the bridge..

http://www.cityofdelphi.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=225&Itemid=188

I agree. They came out and said they had evidence that he is their suspect. I do find the word "participated" interesting. They never say that. I don't know if they are certain of another individual or if they are trying to keep from being too committed to one theory so they don't overlook something.

Participated is used because it is not exclusive to one party. To say BG "murdered" would mean he alone committed the act. LE have no idea if there was one person, or 50 people involved.

They'd have to create a trail on its other end too. But they better do SOMETHING before someone's boot becomes the final straw in the rotted wood and they find themselves plummeting 70 feet into a foot of water. I'm shocked there hasn't been accidents by kids goofing off.

It appears to go from city park to the north side of the bridge, it doesn't look like that crossing the bridge is part of it. From what i see any way.

That is true. Just, you watch the presser, you see the pain and emotion on the officers faces. This is tough for them no doubt, 2 young girls murdered. It just has a sense of being a bad one, hearing that adds to that feeling.

Of course there is pain and emotion on their faces. Two young girls were murdered. In my book that's enough reason for someone to be distraught, including seasoned LEOs.

From what I understand there is little violent crime in Carroll County, and there hasn't been a homicide in 15 years, let alone a double child homicide. Maybe a cop in the worst parts of Chicago has grown thick enough skin to just shake that off, but these are LEOs in a low crime rural area, and this happened in a small tight-knit community. I wouldn't interpret their emotions as the crime being particularly horrific or gruesome. As mentioned before, the "stuff nightmares are made of" quote did not come from them. Although finding two girls dead in the woods (no matter their condition or COD) would be plenty to give me nightmares. Maybe I just don't want to imagine what horrors these innocent girls went through...but IMO the fact that they were murdered is bad enough to justify LE's reaction.

PS: The FBI agent that spoke at the press conference did not seem nearly as shaken up as the locals. He very well may have seen crime scenes much worse than the local guys ever have.

Regarding the serial killer angle (which I'm not entirely sold on) I was reading the Wikipedia article about SKs and found the section on organized/disorganized/mixed classifications to be interesting. If this crime was committed by a lone SK, looking at the various characteristics listed, which classification would you say fits BG?
organized, disorganized, mixed?

I itemized and somewhat paraphrased the section for readability sake: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_killer#Organization

Organized serial killers:
- often plan their crimes methodically
- usually abduct victims, killing them in one place and disposing of them in another.
- often lure the victims with ploys appealing to their sense of sympathy.
- some specifically target prostitutes, who are likely to go voluntarily with a stranger.
- maintains a high degree of control over the crime scene. usually has a solid knowledge of forensic science that enables them to cover their tracks.
- may follow their crimes in the news media carefully and often take pride in their actions, as if it were all a grand project.
- usually have social and other interpersonal skills sufficient to enable them to develop both personal and romantic relationships, friends and lovers and sometimes even attract and maintain a spouse and sustain a family including children.
- in the event of their capture most likely to be described by acquaintances as - kind and unlikely to hurt anyone.
- IQ tend to be near normal range, with a mean of 94.7.
** organized nonsocial offenders tend to be on the higher end of the average, with a mean IQ of 99.2.

Disorganized serial killers:
- usually far more impulsive, often committing their murders with a random weapon available at the time
- usually do not attempt to hide the body.
- likely to be unemployed, a loner, or both, with very few friends.
- often turn out to have a history of mental illness
- modus operandi (M.O.) or lack thereof, is often marked by excessive violence and sometimes necrophilia and/or sexual violence.
- disorganized serial killers have been found to have a slightly lower mean IQ than organized serial killers, at 92.8

* the classification of mixed offender exhibits both organized and disorganized characteristics

If LE had any evidence of TWO perps, they would make that known. They can not definitively state that there was only one because it may come back to haunt them at trial.

LE also can not state that the guy on film IS in fact the murderer or that it is HIS voice on the audio, simply because they do not have a video of him speaking and probably do not have a video of him killing the girls.

As Sheriff Tobe stated, like in poker, you can't show your hand. And we know what a defense attorney will do when trial comes and they attack LE because the evidence points directly to their client.

They are being careful to not make mistakes by stating things in public that can be misconstrued or whipped into a defense later.

"Today's the day" sounds like a motto of optimism and not a hint to the public. Come on y'all, not everything said has a double meaning.

When the Sheriff said the case had a 'twist', it was right after a discussion of the last double homicide in Delphi in the 90's, where the perps were caught quickly. Grandkids killed their grandparents in their own home. The twist is that this is unrelated children being killed in the woods and apparently the normal suspects in the first circle of 'people to rule out' (parents, step-parents, grandparents, friends or any of these folks) are cleared.

I don't know.

However, video of a suspect is not in itself unusual.

Further, "twist" suggests that there's something about the case that's not straight forward. "Twist" implies that the case goes in one direction and then "twists" or turns in another.

SABBM

Well, that's interesting.
As in-- someone possibly local and maybe a person who law enforcement is surprised by ---because this perp isn't normally the type to be under suspicion for murder -- as in a respected member of the community , or a religious type --like a pastor ? Someone who isn't known for lurking the trails for kids to kill ?

Why the "disheartening" remark ?
Almost feel like this is someone LE knows -- but are building their case and so no arrest yet.
Thinking out loud here.

I'm sure that "twist" is being used to describe something outside of the "usual" flow of a crime.

Maybe they found the perps DNA and it matches up with other crimes, but they still have no suspect.

My thinking is that there may be connections to someone prominent and respected or maybe even two sets of DNA from the same family found. Twins? <<==That would be a REAL twist but doubtful.

I really hope since the family said they will be taking and answering media questions, that they ask some good ones. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean they will answer them. Or can answer them. But I hate when these things come around and the media asks the same ol' questions/things we already know the answers to.

I have a real good feeling that they already know who it is and they are building their case....gathering his doom
I hope so.

What throws me are the sheer amount of Billboards the FBI put up nationwide..48? This seems like a good indication that they believe the suspects fled. Perhaps they are part of a larger organized crime. The similarities between these little souls in Delphi and those in Iowa are maybe more than a coincidence. There are meat-packing plants of the same companies near both areas, transient jobs. Enough time to seem local enough to know the layout of a place like Dephi and the walking trials. Same as the case in Iowa. There may be other similar cases across the country that are also similar in nature with 1 victim rather than 2. But the nationwide Billboards are nationwide for a reason.

Has it been confirmed that the imagrs of the suspect are him walking north?
Are the photo/s of the girls (if more then 1 ) of abby walking/headed in the north?
Jmo i don't think the girls ever crossed the whole bridge, i think maybe they took his photo/video because he came from the southern end.

Not that this could not have happened on the trail but that bridge should be torn down, i can't imagine what it would cost to make it a safe place to walk. It's not part of the trail from what i can see. Jmo

This is an historic bridge. It's the second highest bridge in Indiana. Actually, it's also part of a proposed trail expansion in Indiana, plus there's a Facebook Page dedicated to saving the bridge..

Indeed.
"the entire project will cost around $300,000"
"CSX has agreed to donate the bridge and $37,000"
They have applied for a 150k grant from DNR

If that reward is never claimed I wonder if it's possible to donate it to create an Abby and Libby Memorial Walkway.
There has been a heavy effort to save the bridge.

Help save the historic Monon Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members