IN - Abigail Williams, 13, & Liberty German, 14, Delphi, 13 Feb 2017 #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning.

That statement didn't make sense (to me) then and looking back it still doesn't.

It makes sense to me only because it's familiar - it seems like LE has said this in most cases I've followed even though in at least two it seemed way off and the public was potentially at risk. So I don't know what it's actually supposed to mean.

That property was searched Thursday evening, so before the Sunday flurry of activity.

Officers served the search warrant beginning sometime between 6:30 and 7 p.m. Feb. 16 at a residence in the 11000 block of West Bicycle Bridge Road, according to Indiana State Police Sgt. Kim Riley.
http://www.pharostribune.com/news/local_news/article_c2c520d2-f4ac-11e6-9d31-0bfd4dd16b49.html

"There's nobody that's been arrested at this time," he said.
http://www.wthr.com/article/search-...ly-farm-in-connection-with-two-murdered-teens

Sorry to respond to my own post, but just wanted to point out the 'at this time' phrase, which was also used in RL's case. I think it is meaningless really, and simply covers LE in case something new comes up at which time there may be an arrest, or more suspicion, or whatever. jmo

It was *super* complicated, and *way* over my head, and even after hearing expert testimony, it still left lots of questions, and I think even when there are answers, the answers are not always the same (ie I believe service with some providers is different from service with other providers, such as what the provider might be able to recoup in the way of texts). Also, something about whether texts are saved to the actual phone or to the sim card makes a difference. In the case I was following, police were able to see communications between the various parties, however that was once the numbers were *known*. I'm not sure if they can just ask for a printout of all the phone numbers in the area at a specific time. I don't think they can. And the way the info from the phones is retrieved, is all interscattered, so it takes a real expert to decipher things. Also, about the pinging, it isn't straight forward either. I will try to find some kind of record from the testimony to show what kind of things they were saying.

Found this article from 2014 titled "What Your Cell Phone Can Tell Police" FWIW>> http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/what-your-cell-phone-cant-tell-the-police

I have read the arrests and court cases for the last couple of years in Carroll County as well as some of the surrounding and I believe they are inundated with crime associated with gangs, drug dealing and drug use. Theft, burglary, impaired driving, busting multiple people every day with drugs. Small towns, county sheriffs, how big could their force be? Then the appeals courts put them right back out. They need an overhaul of their judges and prosecutors.

One thing that surprised me about working with feds is there were always budgetary constraints, and things often had to be kicked all the way back to Washington D.C. to get permission to dip into the coffers. There was lots of frustration with the LE I worked with over budgets or even supervisors signing off on a particular aspect of their cases they wanted to pursue. IMO

I have this need for updates. Am I the only one? I hate "I feel" statements but.....I feel like they asked the public for help, so I think people just naturally expect some kind of update. There are a lot of people who have put quite a bit of manpower hours into printing off the flyers and putting them up all over Indiana. I know we are not owed anything, but hearing something, even if it's they are still waiting for evidence to come back, X more search warrants were issued, 300 more tips were called in.....etc.........

Can I just say how glad I am about what everyone is discussing today! Going back to the beginning a lot of us are noticing things we made not have early on- knowing what (little) we know now. I feel this is much more productive than going on and on about alcoholism, artifacts and fanny packs. Good thoughts and info everyone!! JMO

I believe it is possible to obtain a 'tower dump' which could provide details of phones on a particular tower in a particular time frame. I am no expert but have seen it mentioned. Perhaps we have some cell phone experts on the forum who could clarify this for us?
Among the things that they can do from a cell tower (or multiple cell towers) dump is (over a specified period of time):

Determine the globally unique identifier IMSI of every phone that was in contact with that tower(s).
Determine the phone provider for each phone.
Determine the name of the subscriber name and billing address for contract phones.
Determine where and when the phone SIM was activated to allow access to the phone network - for contract and non-contract phones.
Determine all roaming phones.
Determine all phones that had their numbers forwarded to another number.
Determine all phones that were having calls forwarded to them from another number.
Determine the location (approximately) of each of those phones at every instance of contact with the tower.
Determine all phones that were moving, including those that moved into the area, stopped, and started moving again.
Determine all phones that were passing through the area. That is, kept moving along a road/highway without stopping.
Determine all phones connected to the tower but never moved.
Determine the time and location of the phone anytime a phone transmitted/received data, sent/received messages, made/received any calls (even if unanswered) while connected to that tower.

Definitely a good source of opinions and information like the media thread at WS, but I meant news reports and interviews with principals in the case such as LE as the case was unfolding. Even after a month I've confused a lot of details because there is just so much to absorb. Something I may have missed like a verbatim statement from LE maybe takes a different turn on second or third listen, too. I didn't recall anyone saying FBI had ruled out a SK until watching an early report last night. MOO

Right you are. What I meant was that I was looking through the old threads for news links as they appeared on the WS threads, sort of giving me a timeline of LE announcements and MSM reports, because I know everyone here was right on top of the latest news with links and videos.

No, not reading anything in the threads at all - my head would surely explode!

Does anyone remember who posted the photo of the LE vehicles that were, I believe, parked on the opposite side of the creek from where Abby and Libby were found? I'd like to read more about that. TIA

Definitely a good source of opinions and information like the media thread at WS, but I meant news reports and interviews with principals in the case such as LE as the case was unfolding. Even after a month I've confused a lot of details because there is just so much to absorb. Something I may have missed like a verbatim statement from LE maybe takes a different turn on second or third listen, too. I didn't recall anyone saying FBI had ruled out a SK until watching an early report last night. MOO
Sorry I have somehow missed the FBI ruling out a SK. Have you a link or have I misunderstood you ?

@ ImnoSherlock

A couple of times now you have posted near the end of a thread saying you have applied some filters and can see something interesting but you still haven't posted despite being asked. Do you have anything? If so please could you post it early in the thread if you want comments? TIA.

Yes ImnoSherlock, please post what you have found, it might be just the thing I need to turn someone in.

Can I just say how glad I am about what everyone is discussing today! Going back to the beginning a lot of us are noticing things we made not have early on- knowing what (little) we know now. I feel this is much more productive than going on and on about alcoholism, artifacts and fanny packs. Good thoughts and info everyone!! JMO

Thanks to Bemused for posting links to those videos last night! It was like hitting a reset button! :back:

Among the things that they can do from a cell tower (or multiple cell towers) dump is (over a specified period of time):

Determine the globally unique identifier IMSI of every phone that was in contact with that tower(s).
Determine the phone provider for each phone.
Determine the name of the subscriber name and billing address for contract phones.
Determine where and when the phone SIM was activated to allow access to the phone network - for contract and non-contract phones.
Determine all roaming phones.
Determine all phones that had their numbers forwarded to another number.
Determine all phones that were having calls forwarded to them from another number.
Determine the location (approximately) of each of those phones at every instance of contact with the tower.
Determine all phones that were moving, including those that moved into the area, stopped, and started moving again.
Determine all phones that were passing through the area. That is, kept moving along a road/highway without stopping.
Determine all phones connected to the tower but never moved.
Determine the time and location of the phone anytime a phone transmitted/received data, sent/received messages, made/received any calls (even if unanswered) while connected to that tower.
Let's hope they have done that and would that be FBI or ISP or someone else who actually does that?

I posted this last night because I'd never seen it.

Another interesting report wrt what the reporter says the FBI said in the early days, paraphrase: No evidence of SK or related crimes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LOb8cJ2RW_M

I like that this news report presented one version of the BG audio with pauses added in (roughly 1:20 in the video). I always found the original continuous loop (with no break) to be overwhelming. The pause gives your brain a second to ingest the sample.

Thanks to Bemused for posting links to those videos last night! It was like hitting a reset button! :back:

I try to only view MSM videos of news reports and interviews rather than watching unrelated people who give their opinions or interpretation. That way even if the media have made a mistake it's probably going to be corrected at some stage. I see a sidebar to my right with related videos and usually follow those rather than trying to search on keywords in YouTube.

Does anyone remember who posted the photo of the LE vehicles that were, I believe, parked on the opposite side of the creek from where Abby and Libby were found? I'd like to read more about that. TIA
That would have been ocgrad that posted a screencap of that from the RTV6 helicopter video. I don't know that anything at all was reported about that particular activity by the media.

Let's hope they have done that and would that be FBI or ISP or someone else who actually does that?
The FBI can obtain the information quicker than local LE. So that is the likely route taken in this case. That is because ATT's center for processing phone activity and cell tower records is co-located with the FBI in Tampa, FL and for Verizon co-located in Vienna, VA.

Just wondering if anyone knows if the pics we have of BG are from Libby zooming IN on him (which would seem to indicate she was purposely trying to capture him) or if LE found him tiny on her phone in the background and LE zoomed him out/enlarged him (which would seem to indicate he was just randomly in the background). I know there is a comment that Libby started filming a confrontation or something like that but I think if we could answer this it might clear things up at leat a tiny bit.

MOO

That would have been ocgrad that posted a screencap of that from the RTV6 helicopter video. I don't know that anything at all was reported about that particular activity by the media.

It seems reasonable to assume there was something that LE found important. Maybe broken branches, tracks, discarded or dropped evidence? MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike