Found Deceased IN - Alice 'Anita' Oswald, 77, Terre Haute, 9 Nov 2017 - *ARREST*

wow, private lake on gated property.

So glad she has been found and LE will work the case. I hope there is justice, whatever that may look like, for Anita.

bumping for this woman. Someone knows something and there is sure to be an interesting story behind this.... why people do what they do, I don't get it.

You think they'd have an ID on the remains by now. Dental records....something!

You think they'd have an ID on the remains by now. Dental records....something!
As long as there is an arrest!

I am sure they know. I wondered who tipped them to where the car was found?
Also, the connection to her known dissapearance at the time and the fire?

As long as there is an arrest!

I am sure they know. I wondered who tipped them to where the car was found?
Also, the connection to her known dissapearance at the time and the fire?

Found deceased [emoji20]: http://www.wthitv.com/content/news/...-be-missing-Terre-Haute-woman--471649114.html

Vigo County Coroner Dr. Susan Amos confirms with News 10 that the female has been positively identified as missing Terre Haute woman Alice ‘Anita’ Oswald.

Oswald was reported missing in early November of 2017. She was last seen in her Honda CRV at a heating and cooling business on Maple Avenue.

She was going to meet a repair technician at a home on 2nd Avenue, but Oswald never showed.

Her home at the corner of 24th and 2nd Avenue in Terre Haute is also an active arson investigation. A passerby spotted the fire, which happened a few days after Oswald disappeared.

Oswald's vehicle was located on Jan. 5 in a body of water in eastern Vigo County. Inside the vehicle police say there was a white female.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found deceased [emoji20]: http://www.wthitv.com/content/news/...-be-missing-Terre-Haute-woman--471649114.html

Vigo County Coroner Dr. Susan Amos confirms with News 10 that the female has been positively identified as missing Terre Haute woman Alice ‘Anita’ Oswald.

Oswald was reported missing in early November of 2017. She was last seen in her Honda CRV at a heating and cooling business on Maple Avenue.

She was going to meet a repair technician at a home on 2nd Avenue, but Oswald never showed.

Her home at the corner of 24th and 2nd Avenue in Terre Haute is also an active arson investigation. A passerby spotted the fire, which happened a few days after Oswald disappeared.

Oswald's vehicle was located on Jan. 5 in a body of water in eastern Vigo County. Inside the vehicle police say there was a white female.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RIP Anita :rose:

Now who did this to you? #JusticeforAnita

[h=1]Friends react to update in Oswald murder case: "Now we know"[/h]
The positive identification of Oswald's body is devastating but Laubert adds there is some closure now.

"Okay, now we know it's her. Let's find who did it and let's get this case moving. I hope they have a ton of evidence on this person and I want to sit in the courtroom while they're being tried."
Laubert says she knows that Oswald "absolutely" fought her attacker. According to her, Oswald also carried a gun.
"Anita didn't do anything to deserve what she got."
Memories are all the remain for Laubert now.
"I just remember her laughter. I remember we'd just have the silliest times just talking and the dogs were there. I remember her laughing, but boy I sure remember her giving somebody the business on the phone when they wanted to dump an animal."

Laubert and other members of the board at Harmony Haven have worked to move animals before closing the shelter. Laubert has said Oswald would be upset the sanctuary is closing but says now she hopes Anita would be proud of their efforts.
http://www.wthitv.com/content/news/...Oswald-murder-case-Now-we-know-471707504.html

Hopefully they have gotten video/evidence that will lead to justice for Anita-

I keep thinking she may have encountered someone in the parking lot at the ac/heating business on the way to meet the repairman. Moo

Police canvassed areas near Oswald’s rental properties in the 1600 and 2300 blocks of Second Avenue and near her residence. Detectives also collected video from businesses and residences along the routes of all the locations involved.

Shortly before 1 a.m. Nov. 13, a fire damaged Oswald’s home in the 2300 block of Second Avenue, where she lived alone. Police and fire officials have not commented on the possible relationship between Oswald's disappearance and the fire at her home.

http://www.tribstar.com/news/corone...cle_b8757dd4-0522-11e8-b733-cfc7d6bc0eb9.html

I just keep thinking...either video or a tip led them to search that frozen body of water for Anita.
Whoever put her there...hoped that she wouldn't be found until the spring thaw.
Hoping to hear of an arrest soon!

This makes me sick. Recently, in the Dothan, AL area, a 77 year old woman who also ran an animal sanctuary died in a house fire, trying to save the animals housed there. All Breeds Rescue functioned a lot like Alice's rescue did.

[h=1]Friends react to update in Oswald murder case: "Now we know"[/h]
http://www.wthitv.com/content/news/...Oswald-murder-case-Now-we-know-471707504.html
Video and comments at link, also...
d0c1b50f49f0c8df9efe43640407fea2.jpg

I cannot explain it, but I was just thinking of Anita this morning, so I Googled her name and found a new article that was published within the last 24 hours. Hopefully, the evidence will help bring justice to Anita and her family:

“POLICE SUBMIT DNA EVIDENCE FOR TESTING IN OSWALD INVESTIGATION

Terre Haute Police confirmed to News 10 they've submitted DNA evidence for testing in the Anita Oswald investigation.

“Police Chief John Plasse would not elaborate what types of evidence the department sent.

He's also not sure just how long it will take to receive results from the testing.

[SBM]

If you have any information on her death, call Crime Stoppers at 812-238-STOP.“

http://www.wthitv.com/content/news/...esting-in-Oswald-investigation-479428693.html

Thanks for finding this, IMHO. This is encouraging news! No telling how long results will take, it could be months before we have more answers.

Suspect Announced in Alice Oswald's Murder

"...THPD has issued an arrest warrant for Kenneth Pitts for charges of murder, burglary, altering the scene of a death, arson and obstruction of justice....

Terre Haute Police also issued an arrest warrant and a search warrant for Teresa M. Pitts for charges of assisting a criminal and obstruction of justice.
On Tuesday, Teresa Pitts was located in Clay County and arrested....

Alice Anita Oswald went missing back on November 9th, 2017. Days later, her home was set on fire.

Oswald's body was found inside her car back in January. The car was discovered in a frozen pond in southeastern Vigo County."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"...THPD has issued an arrest warrant for Kenneth Pitts for charges of murder, burglary, altering the scene of a death, arson and obstruction of justice....

Terre Haute Police also issued an arrest warrant and a search warrant for Teresa M. Pitts for charges of assisting a criminal and obstruction of justice.

Alice Anita Oswald went missing back on November 9th, 2017. Days later, her home was set on fire.

Oswald's body was found inside her car back in January. The car was discovered in a frozen pond in southeastern Vigo County."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
teresa%20pitts_1527089968516.jpg_43261328_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

kenneth%20pitts%204_1527088853370.jpg_43259156_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

kenneth%20pitts%203_1527088828797.jpg_43259155_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

newest photo of him Sept 2017

Quite the pair! He is on the run. Well if that doesn't have the red flashing "guilty of something" flag waving all over the place! Doesn't say how they came upon Alice as their victim. Eager to hear how this ends.

I'd like to see some resolution to this crime. I do question as to whether the THPD is up to the task though. It's going to take the public's help, I think.

Thank you for sharing, YESorNO. Very happy to hear this. Pitts sounds like a very dangerous man, and I hope that he is caught as soon as possible.

The article below is from two days ago; it is very lengthy but has lots of good information, including a prior connection between Anita and Pitts and his extensive criminal history:

“[SBM]

Suspect shot?

Since soon after Oswald was reported missing by her daughter on Nov. 10, 2017, court records show, police have been seeking Pitts for questioning. One person told police Kenny Pitts tried to rob Oswald, who shot him in the face. Pitts then killed Oswald, the person said, and his sister Teresa ‘helped get rid of the body.’

Police located and talked to Teresa Pitts on Nov. 30, 2017, and at that time she denied knowing what happened to Oswald or her brother.

Court documents show another person, however, told police in January that Teresa Pitts asked for help to nurse Kenny Pitts, who had a gunshot wound to his face. The person who nursed Pitts said he claimed he had been shot by members of the Diablos motorcycle gang, with whom he had past conflicts.

Police again talked to Teresa Pitts in March, and she said at that time her brother had a wound to his face and she believed he had been shot by the Diablos. Police did not arrest her at that time.

Wanted man

Kenny Pitts has been wanted on an outstanding probation revocation warrant from Vigo Superior Court 6 Court since November 2017.

[SBM]

Keen said police believe people may be assisting Pitts with transportation, money and shelter. Anyone providing assistance to Pitts also faces potential criminal charges, Keen said.

[SBM]

Other arrests are possible as the Oswald investigation continues, he said.

Intense investigation

Keen said police have dedicated a lot of time to the investigation of the Oswald homicide.

Her house was damaged in an intentionally set fire on Nov. 13. Police interviewed neighbors and others about Oswald’s disappearance and the fire.

Investigators determined that Oswald was last seen on the afternoon of Nov. 9 when she went to a heating and cooling business on Maple Avenue to order work on one of her rental properties.

Oswald left the business about 4:38 p.m., intending to meet the service technician at a house on Second Avenue. She never arrived, the technician reported.

No one reported being in contact with Oswald after that, and her daughter reported her missing when she failed to show up for work the next day.

The arson at her house increases suspicion of foul play, and prompted a Silver Alert that provided information about Oswald as a missing person in need of medication for a heart condition.

Police located Oswald’s missing vehicle in the lake in January after Indiana conservation officers reported vehicle tracks leading into a lake near the intersection of Tabertown Road and Moyer Drive.

That lake is located about 6.4 miles from a rural, 3-acre property on Dearborn Street owned by Kenny Pitts. Police noted in their report it took only seven minutes to drive from the Pitts property to the lake, which is ‘barely visible from the road and would have to be someone familiar with the area to know the lake was there.’

Prior connection

Pitts has a prior connection with Oswald.

He was arrested in connection with the theft of $100,000 from her Second Avenue home on Jan. 20, 2017.

According to a probable cause affidavit filed in Vigo Superior Court 6 on Feb. 2, 2017, city police saw Pitts with Michael Harvey, 28, on the day Oswald’s house was burglarized.

Police were looking for Harvey on outstanding warrants at the time, and they had received information that Harvey and Pitts were together in a red Pontiac Firebird.

An officer saw Pitts and another person in that car near 14th Street and Lafayette Avenue on the afternoon of Jan. 20. When officers found the car parked nearby on Grand Avenue, they also found Pitts and talked to him.

At the time, Pitts had $3,000 in $100 bills in his pants pocket, police reported. Pitts said he had just sold a vehicle and that is how he acquired the money, the court record said. Pitts was released at that time.

[SBM]

Earlier that day, police had received a report from Oswald about a burglary to her home on Second Avenue. She told police someone broke in through a back door of her house between 10 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. and took $100,000 in cash. The money had been bundled in bank money bands.

[SBM]

Pitts’ arrests

Pitts was booked into the Vigo County Jail on Jan. 27, 2017, on the theft charge connected to the Oswald burglary. He was released the same day on his own recognizance.

[SBM]

But, Pitts was later arrested in September 2017 on charges of intimidation with a deadly weapon, criminal recklessness with a deadly weapon, pointing a firearm and criminal recklessness in an unrelated incident.

He was arrested Sept. 22, 2017, and released from jail Sept. 26 in connection with that incident, during which he smashed a car windshield with a splitting maul.

The arrest warrants issued for Pitts in November are connected to three pending criminal cases filed against him.” (All BBM)

Police: Kenny Pitts sought in Oswald homicide

Kudos to LE for the way they have handled the investigation and their tenacity. It sounds like they will have a very good case against the suspects.

Justice for Anita and her family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back