GUILTY IN - Mercedes Lain, 11 mos, extreme danger Plymouth, 12 Aug 2021 *3 Arrests, includes parents*

Man charged in death of 11-month-old girl appears in court

A pretrial hearing has been set for Wednesday, September 8th at 9 a.m.

A status conference has been scheduled for Thursday, December 16th at 9 a.m.

The venue for the trial is still in question due to the several counties being involved in the investigation.

FrostedGlass said:
I wonder why she's not eligible?

08/24/2021
Report Filed
Pretrial Release Recommendation - Not Eligible
Filed By:
Marshall County Probation

Maybe because of the line below that one:

08/25/2021
Notice Of Intent To Seek Habitual Offender Status
Notice of Intent to File Habitual
Filed By:
State of Indiana

New motion filed by Tiffany Coburn

08/25/2021
Motion Filed
Motion to Release Defendant to Attend Funeral Services
Filed By:
Coburn, Tiffany Jo
File Stamp:
08/25/2021
Wow, that's unbelievable. Make the memorial and service about you and your heinous actions rather than the poor baby. She must not know how people feel about her, or doesn't care.

Maybe because of the line below that one:

08/25/2021
Notice Of Intent To Seek Habitual Offender Status
Notice of Intent to File Habitual
Filed By:
State of Indiana
Have you seen that happen in other cases?
I tried to look up the definition of habitual offender but there are way too many numbers and letters for my poor old brain to make sense of :eek:

2017 Indiana Code :: TITLE 35. Criminal Law and Procedure :: ARTICLE 50. SENTENCES :: CHAPTER 2. Death Sentence and Sentences for Felonies and Habitual Offenders :: 35-50-2-8. Habitual offenders

Have you seen that happen in other cases?
I tried to look up the definition of habitual offender but there are way too many numbers and letters for my poor old brain to make sense of :eek:

2017 Indiana Code :: TITLE 35. Criminal Law and Procedure :: ARTICLE 50. SENTENCES :: CHAPTER 2. Death Sentence and Sentences for Felonies and Habitual Offenders :: 35-50-2-8. Habitual offenders

I looked it up too! She has been convicted of 2 Level 6 (drug related) felonies (2018 and 2019) and hasn't paid any court costs, filing fees or fines on those convictions either.

eta-Lain also has 2 Level 6 drug related felonies within the same time frame as Coburn plus the 2015 Level 6 Felony Neglect of a Dependent the news reported on and he hasn't paid his court costs, filing fees or fines either so I look for the state to deem him a habitual offender too. You can look up his Indiana prison stays here:
Indiana Offender Database Search

Last edited:
I don't recall Mercedes obituary being posted. Sorry if this is a repeat. She will be laid to rest Friday, August 27. Rest in peace baby girl. I'm sorry everyone failed you. It shouldn't be this way. No child should have to suffer and be thrown away like trash. IMO her "parents" shouldn't be allowed to attend her funeral because if they wouldn't of "needed a break" she would still be here. I think the entire story is bs and they traded her for drugs like Kenneth Lain did to his older child.

Mercedes Christine Lynn Lain - View Obituary & Service Information

Update for KL:

08/25/2021 = Report Filed
Pretrial Release Recommendation - Not Eligible
Filed By: Marshall County Probation
File Stamp: 08/25/2021

08/25/2021 = Motion Filed
Motion to Release Defendant to Attend Funeral Services
Filed By: Lain, Kenneth Robert
File Stamp: 08/25/2021

09/15/2021 = Pretrial Conference
Session: 09/15/2021 9:00 AM, Judicial Officer: Sarber, Matthew E.

11/18/2021 = Status Conference
Session: 11/18/2021 9:00 AM, Judicial Officer: Sarber, Matthew E.

I don't recall Mercedes obituary being posted. Sorry if this is a repeat. She will be laid to rest Friday, August 27. Rest in peace baby girl. I'm sorry everyone failed you. It shouldn't be this way. No child should have to suffer and be thrown away like trash. IMO her "parents" shouldn't be allowed to attend her funeral because if they wouldn't of "needed a break" she would still be here. I think the entire story is bs and they traded her for drugs like Kenneth Lain did to his older child.

"In lieu of flowers memorial contributions may be made to the family".....nice.

I realize that there is probably extended family helping to cover the funeral, but the wording just doesn't come off right. It looks like the was taken down as well.

I don't know what's happening...this ices up my heart to be fair....not for the little one of course but the whole thing....it feels so hypocrite.

I realize that there is probably extended family helping to cover the funeral, but the wording just doesn't come off right. It looks like the ******** was taken down as well.
Oh no no no - so they can buy drugs? Bond out ? I am horrified at these actions - and to take away-again- from the baby? I hope people do not do this- she should have pretty flowers at her service
IMO
ETA copied link from post with obituary

Last edited:

I realize that there is probably extended family helping to cover the funeral, but the wording just doesn't come off right. It looks like the ******** was taken down as well.

Why do you think that? Do you have a link to this?

Why do you think that? Do you have a link to this?

Posted up thread it’s in her obituary
ETA link to obituary

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members