IN IN - Paul Raymond Harrod, adult, may have been using false identity, Hamilton County, 27 Nov 1992

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM

What does this stepson remember? Kids can be observant & intuitive. He may have useful breadcrumbs. Did Mr. Harrod follow a specific college or professional team? Like Mexican restaurants, or pizza, or ???

(I wanna call this guy FPRH. Just sayin'.)

Not likely to get into the Family History Center this week to use their Ancestry subscription.

JMHO YMMV
Just came here and thinking maybe one more try to get more info and photos from the present wife would be in order by the detective? And maybe from the stepson? I assume no further kids. Too bad no DNA :) Oops, sorry, I just read Laughing post mentioned asking stepson already. Y'all are way ahead of the game, per usual :)

Jumping off of this post- I would say some answers might be in Ohio. The internet was still new, so I couldn't have been able to look this child's name, date of birth and death, etc, unless he was living in the area at that time, and either read about this child's obituary and waited to use his identity later, or he went through cemeteries looking for a child that passed away within a few years and managed to get ID made with the information he gathered about this child- name, DOB, etc. In order for this man to have found that information out- the parents' names especially, he would either have to have read an obituary locally or went to the town hall and got a death certificate to get this information. None of this was online back in 87, as the internet was brand new- I know, as I worked as a travel agent back then- and there was no way to get any information about anyone online back then.

If I were LE, I would look into Ohio more- was there anyone resembling this man that went missing? Did this happen to another woman who reported a husband missing? Were there any armed robberies back then? Home break ins? Murders? Children missing or adults missing other than this man?

As someone mentioned above, he could have been a bigamist, but even back then, a lot of them kept their names, as it was easier to hide then- today, people still remain hidden, but it takes a lot of work and planning to try that, as your name and photos can be blasted all over social media now, if you pull a stunt like this.

What doesn't make sense to me is the wife not reporting his missing sooner. Several months went by, and she decided to report him? Did they have a child or children together?

No question, he was still alive when he sold his car in Colorado. There are so many places this man could have hidden and no one would have known. Are there any ranches and farms close by in the area that he sold his car? Many times, ranch and farm hands were paid under the table and given a small cottage to live on. After he sold his car, he may have taken on a new identity- used his old identity to sell the car, while already using a new one while working as a hire hand on a ranch or a farm. It was so easy to do back then, as again, no one could look for you online to track you down or post your photo.

Ohio and Colorado, in my opinion, is where I would start posting his photos on social media outlets. Those photos are pretty decent ones- they aren't blurry and you can see his face clearly. Someone out there knows who this man is.

Now, reasons why he might be on the run, so to speak:

1. he's a bigamist and his, er, other wife was close to finding him
2. he owed money to someone- drugs, gambling debts. I wonder if his wife could tell us any of his habits while they were together- did he do drugs, did he gamble, was he a drinker, how was he financially- did he go from job to job or not work at all, did he work under the table at a job while with her, was he responsible paying his bills.
3. of course, we could go down the route that he was a sex offender or murdered someone.
4. he could have robbed a store or a bank- did he own any guns? Was he into hunting?

Back then, there were no cell phones, either, so he could have kept in touch with his own family or friends back home, by calling from a pay phone miles away from where he was living with his wife.

Did she ever hear him talk to his own family or friends from the past? Did she ever meet any of them? I doubt that she did, he probably told her that he was an only child with no aunts and uncles or cousins, and that his parents and grandparents were deceased. That line was often used by people like this guy, when new love interests hook up with them.

I would start in Ohio. As I said above, there was no internet, there were no cell phones. He was there at some point to find a child's grave or obituary- which was only local news- not like today, where obituaries are posted online.

Wow, very thorough list of points and questions about this man! Good job! I do have one question as I'm new to this case. How do we know for sure it was him who sold the car?

I was also wondering about the car sale in Colorado. Does Colorado still have the paper records from the sale? Whose signature is on the ownership transfer papers? If it was signed by "Paul Raymond Harrod," does the signature match any of his previous signatures? Is there an address listed?

The VIN on the car indicates it was more than likely a repossession that at some point was sold in CO. (more than likely not by "Paul". The dealership no longer has records. - Emelia Mancione - SM Dir. GlacePR - On Toni's blog post on the case there is a post entitled "Geo Metro..." ➡➡➡ The Invisible Man

I was also wondering about the car sale in Colorado. Does Colorado still have the paper records from the sale? Whose signature is on the ownership transfer papers? If it was signed by "Paul Raymond Harrod," does the signature match any of his previous signatures? Is there an address listed?
Good question! But I see now that others are way ahead of us and have determined the car dealership is no more.

Good question! But I see now that others are way ahead of us and have determined the car dealership is no more.

Remember, Toni dubbed this case "The Invisible Man" and for good reason. A TON of "Paul's" after leaving Indiana is a dead end. Any documents, tracking, etc helping to show where he may have gone ALWAYS end up unavailable bc of technology at time going digital and non-important documents purged and of course "Paul's" own luck he seems to have with documents not being available etc. His past is the real key and/or someone recognizing him from some point in their life. - EM - GlacePr

d
Remember, Toni dubbed this case "The Invisible Man" and for good reason. A TON of "Paul's" after leaving Indiana is a dead end. Any documents, tracking, etc helping to show where he may have gone ALWAYS end up unavailable bc of technology at time going digital and non-important documents purged and of course "Paul's" own luck he seems to have with documents not being available etc. His past is the real key and/or someone recognizing him from some point in their life. - EM - GlacePr
It is possible he still attended the high school he said he went to, if he was going under his original name or another name back then. I wonder if anyone has looked at any school photos/yearly albums from the time? (if they even had them back then). Which school was it by the way?

I’m wondering if he could have worked at the Cedarville Ohio Hospital as a Hospital Custodian during the time the child died.

The Lead Det @CyresAres1 on the case has what Toni calls a "more than plausible theory". His theory is that "Paul" could have been working in the elderly home that the child's father retired/died at. - EM

d

It is possible he still attended the high school he said he went to, if he was going under his original name or another name back then. I wonder if anyone has looked at any school photos/yearly albums from the time? (if they even had them back then). Which school was it by the way?

The HS has no record of him but the high school he listed was in Yonkers New York which many times Toni has said "you don't reference Yonkers New York unless you're really from New York. whether he went to that high school or not he still at least knew that area Google wasn't around" - just trying to answer as many questions as I have time to help speed everyone along. - EM

If you go to Case Search - MyCase and type Paul R. Harrod there was a small claims court case against him filled on 7/13/1994 by Midwest Credit Service Inc. (a collection agency?) and an address in Sheridan is listed for him, turned out to be a bad address. The case was dismissed on 6/11/1997, most likely because he was not located.

Note: There's a different Paul R. Harrod with a speeding case from 1998 and an address in Kentucky.
I wonder if the small claims case was to do with the car he had, as it was apparently sold in 1994 too.

The HS has no record of him but the high school he listed was in Yonkers New York which many times Toni has said "you don't reference Yonkers New York unless you're really from New York. whether he went to that high school or not he still at least knew that area Google wasn't around" - just trying to answer as many questions as I have time to help speed everyone along. - EM
OIC, thanks for the recap!

Wow, very thorough list of points and questions about this man! Good job! I do have one question as I'm new to this case. How do we know for sure it was him who sold the car?
So the VIN (vehicle identification number) can be traced state by state. Definitely his vehicle, not sure how it got to Denver or how it ended up at the auto auction though. Records are non existent because of age of case.

You have to meet the wife to understand that. She is willing to help me in any way, to my face. But as soon as I leave, she buries her head in the sand hopes this all will go away. She stated she thought he would come back, when he failed to, she wanted to forget all about him. She allegedly discovered he had another social from a GMAC investigator who was looking for the vehicle he left in.
Had another 'social'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member