GUILTY IN - Skylea Carmack, 10, Gas City, Grant County, 31 Aug 2019 *stepmom arrested* *appeal filed 2022*

Very few photos of Skylea on step-thing's FB.
There's a FB photo I think it's Skylea sleeping on a stuffed chair, with a gushing post by AC.
Again AC doesn't mention Skyleas' name-- but the gist of the post seems to all about AC and what a tremendous job she's doing as a parent and step parent.
Actually I couldn't find anywhere in AC's FB where Skylea's name was mentioned. Unless I missed it. :(

Amanda Carmack
June 14, 2017 ·

"....This girl has been working hard to help me try and get some order in this house. I've never had the privilege of parenting another's child before.
There are many times when it's stressful but more times where we get to bond.
She's been through some things and she still is going through something that's tough emotionally. She's growing and learning in this new life. The best I can do is teach her and love her as my own. In reality, that's all she really needs. All she really wants.

I sometimes cry for her because I understand the pain of wanting to be with someone you love even though they keep hurting you.
I feel like God gave me her so that she could see what a Mother's love is really like. I will do everything in my power to ensure that she knows she is truly loved and cared for...."

Emph. mine

This text is with a photo of I believe to be Skylea at 8 years old.
The first bolded... she needed an 8 year old to help restore 'order' in that house ?
W.T.F. was going on at that home ?

2nd bolded is somewhat telling.
Is AC referring to her own abuse of this child or trying to place blame on Skylea's bio mom ?

"see what a Mother's love is really like..."

Yes, AC really showed her.
A true witch with a "B".

Last edited:
I prefer this picture, I feel it is more humbling.
Thanks for this, @unicorns&rainbows

Looking at the first charge... starvation might have been a factor. "neglect resulting in..."

The last, blurry photos of Skylea look like she's thinner.
And the third charge sounds like she may have been beaten as well as strangled.

I feel for the jury who will have to view the horrifying photos ; the handiwork of this monster.

Police say there was a “conglomerate of evidence" that led them to arrest Amanda Carmack in connection with the death of her stepdaughter, 10-year-old Skylea Carmack

BREAKING: Body of missing Gas City girl found in shed behind home; stepmom accused of strangling her

FOX59 News on Twitter

The body of 10-year-old Skylea Carmack was found inside a plastic trash bag, hidden inside a shed behind her Gas City home.

FOX59 News on Twitter

Police believe Skylea Carmack was killed between 4:30 p.m. and 6 p.m. on Saturday. Amanda Carmack reported her missing at 9 p.m.

FOX59 News on Twitter

Police say they previously searched the home, but they were looking for a little girl. They had no reason to believe at that time that her body was hidden.

FOX59 News on Twitter

ISP Sgt. Tony Slocum: “We're devastated. We're sad. We're glad the person who allegedly committed the crime is in custody.”

FOX59 News on Twitter

“I can’t wrap my mind on why you would kill a 10-year-old child… If you find yourself in that state of anger, step away. Do whatever you can to regain your composure… It’s just mind-boggling to me that anyone could injure and kill a 10-year-old,” Slocum.

FOX59 News on Twitter

Hopefully the police will learn from this one “weren’t looking for a body” she should have been found days ago (similar to the missing little boy found in a car by home. Get a glass marker and x the empty cars that are checked)
They obviously had reason to remove the other children (when?) so they might have wanted to look for a body at that point.
I think this might be the thread i just can’t continue to follow

Last edited:
Thanks for this, @unicorns&rainbows

Looking at the first charge... starvation might have been a factor. "neglect resulting in..."

The last, blurry photos of Skylea look like she's thinner.
And the third charge sounds like she may have been beaten as well as strangled.

I feel for the jury who will have to view the horrifying photos ; the handiwork of this monster.
I would imagine the interviews with CPS were pretty telling.

After doing more digging step mom had 3 bio children. 2 girls and the youngest boy. Not sure where the girls' father is but the boy's dad is deceased as of Aug last year. He was approx. 35 and cause of death is unknown.

Skylea was the daughter of Kevin Carmack and Staycee.

The other 3 children in the home were step mom's brother's children. Both of them have issues with drugs and are in and out of jail frequently.

So not only was Skylea the only "lone wolf" without a pack in her corner, she was the only child not blood related to Amanda aka the stepmother.

I would imagine the interviews with CPS were pretty telling.

After doing more digging step mom had 3 bio children. 2 girls and the youngest boy. Not sure where the girls' father is but the boy's dad is deceased as of Aug last year. He was approx. 35 and cause of death is unknown.

Skylea was the daughter of Kevin Carmack and Staycee.

The other 3 children in the home were step mom's brother's children. Both of them have issues with drugs and are in and out of jail frequently.

So not only was Skylea the only "lone wolf" without a pack in her corner, she was the only child not blood related to Amanda aka the stepmother.

Talk about an “Evil Stepmother.”

That girl never had a chance.

Someone mentioned upthread that Skylea's photo with the freckles (the only really recent clear one ) reminded them of Zahra Baker.
I concur.

Skylea will now have Zahra, Lucas, Gabriel, Adrian and so many others to love her.
But she and all of them deserved to live.

I have to wonder about Skylea's dad.
Yes, he was away at work for long periods of time.
But did he not see that Skylea was afraid of this woman ?

How can others not pick up on this type of thing. It is clear on her FB that she seemed pretty harsh with at least one of the children. How do friends and family not pick up on this stuff? Am I just too observant?

No, you aren't "too observant", you're just observant through a different lens than the friends and family related to her. I was a DCS caseworker one county over from Grant and was in the area often. These communities have a very different perception of red flags/concerning behavior, etc. Many have extensive experience with DCS and having your children removed or being investigated is a very normal and even expected experience for many of these families. So I'd hazard a guess that her concerning behavior was just plain not concerning to those around her. It's very, very sad, and unfortunately not the first time the accepted cycle of abuse has resulted in what should have been a preventable fatality.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back