Is Caylee Already Scared Here?

She looks like any normal 2 year old would in an unfamiliar place with lots of strangers around. To me, it looks like she's thinking, "Okay, I have to put in my time being cozy with this old man but I'm not liking it. Oh - I get it, if I give him the hug and kiss, I can get down." And she did.

I must be hanging around the wrong play groups because 2 -3 -4 year olds that I know do not sit still for over a minute, especially if in a place like a ALF visiting someone who she had not seen in a while..I find it as strange as Caylee sleeping in with KC till 9-10-11 am..most 2-3-4 year olds do not sleep in like that and if they do it is a rare occasion or they are coming down with something..
I'm a stay at home mom for now and I co - sleep and my 3 year old never sleeps past 7:30..ever..
JMO:):)

I disagree. Most 2 year olds would be very inquisitive and want to explore their surroundings. I don't believe children that young are aware of people's age.

It's not the age of the people in the home. How many of them are in wheelchairs, hooked up to oxygen, etc. Hospitals and nursing homes are very scary to kids. Even some adults are very uncomfortable in those settings.

It looks more like curiosity and concentration to me...judging by the way she keeps putting her head down, it looks like she is listening to GGPA's heartbeat.

ITA

I can remember being very young and sitting on my Grandpa's lap while the "adults" talked. I loved to listen to his voice when he talked and I had my head on his chest. (It sounds really different that way...)

I think she was just fascinated with this new discovery - probably didn't sit still very long on anyone else's lap or perhaps had not heard the depth of a man's voice that way. She is exploring here - not scared. Intense concentration - she even snuggles her ear back to his chest after looking away for a bit.

JMO

I don't think she looks scared. She gives him a hug and kiss, bless her heart. :blowkiss:

Honestly, the way she was so still with her head on ggpa's chest and the way her eyes were moving, it appeared to me she was listening intently to something. Probably the sound/vibration of his humming (you are my sunshine) and maybe even the lub dub of his heartbeat. Interesting sounds and sensations, soothing to a child.

In any case, that vid is sooo bittersweet. Makes me smile and tear up at the same time.

But, if she had been being abused by her mother, couldn't she be looking around to make sure Casey isn't there? In all of the other pictures I've seen of her, she looks so outgoing and happy.

But, if she had been being abused by her mother, couldn't she be looking around to make sure Casey isn't there? In all of the other pictures I've seen of her, she looks so outgoing and happy.

I doubt it. I just think it is what it is.

When I first saw the still picture of Caylee with her great-grandpa, I thought she looked really scared. But now that they show the video, I think she is listening to her great-grandpa's heartbeat! :)

Well, I keep thinking about how she had been drug around for a month to who knows where and with whom and this was a brief respite for her and she was afraid her mother was going to walk in and take her back to the nomadic life. I also thought she might still be slightly sedated.

After watching again, it may be the vibrations of GGPA singing rather than his heartbeat that she is concentrating on.

Yup that's what I saw too .

I can't watch that video again , I just break down . My mom use to sing us that song when we were little, she's gone now . I also worked for a number of years in a nursing home . I had a favorite little Polish lady that spoke broken English but she sang that song word for word many times a day . Her name was Elizabeth and so was my Mom's .

After watching it when it was first posted from KC's myspace videos , seeing Caylee sitting on G.Grampa's lap singing that same song knowing Caylee's gone now too upset me for days .

I got the impression that she was uncomfortable with the noises in the room, and with her enviroment. She kept looking at grandma who had the camera. She became more comfortable when papa starting to sing/hum to her. She either "knew" he was frail/fragile, or she simply didn't know him well. But because grandma was happy, she would obey. She had to be prompted to give him a hug and kiss, but once she decided to go for it, she didn't hesitate but I think that's because she "knew" that after the hug and kiss she could get down. It did seem ritual to her that once you got your hug and kiss, it was time to get down. In the nurse Karen A. interview, Caylee reacted, and responded exactly the same way. SP the ggp said Caylee hadn't been there for awhile.

I persoanlly believe children should never be prompted to be hugged, kissed, or held by anyone, more than once. If they hesitate at all, I feel their feelings should be respected in matters such as this. When someone wants their child to "give me a hug or kiss" and the child hesitates, and is reprompted. I always say, "That's ok, you don't have to do that," and scuff their hair, or touch their shoulder, or just get down to their level and reach out and offer to shake their hand. Some parents think they are teaching their kids to be polite I guess, but I sure wouldn't want to be forced to be held, hugged, or kissed by someone I didn't know.

IMHO she and ggp feel some sadness. They might not know for sure why or where it's coming from, but it's in their eyes. I don't believe she (or ggp) is scared just sad....I've been a nurse for 30 plus years and have also worked geriactrics and can say some of her behavior (sitting close and quietly) is normal. Nursing homes can be scary with all the hustle/bustle and old ppl around ... but it's the eyes that tell the tale. She and ggp feel a great deal of sadness here while he sings you are my sunshine, please don't take my sunshine away....
first post here ... got caught up in this like everyone else....maybe too caught up at times I think....
My heart aches for this sweet innocent baby.

I think it is tramatic for little kids to be at nursing homes. They see probably for the first time in there lives a bunch of elderly people who can't take care of themselves. Suffering from strokes & diseases the elderly love small kids & the visits.

I worked in a nursing home for many yrs & seen the same look on many kids faces.

Welcome AfterSunset!

Hugs to you Irish (((((IrishSweetOne)))))

Salem

In the beginning it did kind of seem she was tired or not into what was going on, but if you keep watching, her body is relaxed against him and she is intently listening to him sing to her.

When I realized what he was singing, my heart had a big ole tug put on it. It is a song (you are my sunshine) often mistaken for a love song, when it is a sad song about losing someone.

Judging from his difficulty with words when he was singing
"You Are My Sunshine" - was that heartbreakingly sweet or what? - and knowing he has had a stroke, I'm guessing he had a lot of difficulty talking. That's probably why he's so thin too. Stroke victims have a lot of trouble swallowing.

His speech may have been a little scary for her, even if she was used to it.

She looks completely normal for a 2 yr old sitting on her great grandpa's lap especially considering the surroundings. My son is almost 2 and he gets that same look and behavior when hes being shy and in a strange place. She was also being cuddly and affectionate with him, I dont see anything odd about her at all. Others have said kids her age would be running around and not sitting still but thats not true, as I said, my son behaves the same way she did, he is outgoing as heck at home but when we're out somewhere different, around alot of people or around people he doesnt know extremely well, he sits close with me or his dad and acts a little leary.

I was just looking at the Video of Caylee with her Great-Grandfather on Father's Day and, to me, she looks scared in this video. Does anyone think that she has already been traumatized at this point? She has such an apprehensive look in her eyes when she's looking around that it haunts me.

I am with you. The first time I saw the video, Caylee did not look comfortable. In the background I can hear someone telling her what
to do. She looks like she is trying to please some adult. Looking for
direction on how she is suppose to act.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab