Israel - Palestinian militants launch massive attack, 7 Oct 2023 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course talk to their family, friends, therapists and anyone else,I would think It's much better for them to talk than not.
I was referring to them talking to the media about the atrocities they experienced and/or saw and the media spreading it worldwide when negotiations are ongoing.
My concern is for the held hostages.

If the IDF resumes the bombing they will end up in pieces just like the Palestinians. This doesn't look like it will end well and stirring the pot doesn't benefit negotiations. In my opinion the two factions can't make or keep agreement anyway. I dread seeing what happens next...JMO

I don't think this is the typical tit for tat. I think Israel is done. I think and agree Hamas and all the other little terrorists hiding in the Gaza strip need to be completely destroyed. Gaza needs be a demilitarized for awhile.

I can't believe anybody thought this was a little quick scrimmage. No, this is the end for Hamas. That's why Israel begged the civilians to evacuate. I'm willing to bet it gets a lot worse before it gets any better.
I agree. Israel has made it clear that their goal is to eradicate Hamas, and that’s very messy business, unfortunately. They warned about this before they launched the invasion, as some people have short memories.

“Portions of the video contained images that were apparently filmed using GoPro-style cameras that were mounted on the terrorists’ heads. I still find it so traumatic that I can only recall fragments. The faces of two dead babies. One lay dead in crib. Was that a footprint of a man’s boot on the baby’s white onesie? The other was on the floor, arms by his side, peaceful. I thought the baby was alive until a man shoved a long metal rod into the infant’s eye socket. I recoiled in my seat.”

I've seen heaps of articles and photos of released Israeli's celebrating their release.
That Palestinian 14 year old boy should be treated the same way.

In my opinion.

Shouldn't he also have the right to a joyous reunion with his family.

And I don't mean one hidden away.

If the IDF resumes the bombing they will end up in pieces just like the Palestinians. This doesn't look like it will end well and stirring the pot doesn't benefit negotiations. In my opinion the two factions can't make or keep agreement anyway. I dread seeing what happens next...JMO
I'm in total agreement.

1m ago

White House says Israel must avoid 'further displacement' of Palestinians in southern Gaza - reports​

The Biden administration has told Israel that it must work to avoid “significant further displacement” of Palestinian civilians in southern Gaza if it renews its ground campaign after the current pause in fighting, the AP news agency reported senior US officials as saying on Tuesday.

Separately, White House national security council spokesperson John Kirby said the Israelis had been receptive when US officials have raised the issue.

The White House, seeking to avoid more large-scale civilian casualties or mass displacement like that seen before the current temporary pause in the fighting, underscored to the Israelis that they must operate with far greater precision in southern Gaza than they did in the north, said officials who briefed reporters on condition of anonymity, according to AP.

The White House has begun to put greater pressure on Israel that the manner of the coming campaign must be “carefully thought through,” AP reports.

Kirby, told reporters separately, “Now you have an added population of hundreds of thousands more in the south that you didn’t have before [the Israelis] moved into Gaza City.”

“And so it’s even all that more of an added burden on Israel to make sure … that they have properly accounted for … the extra innocent life that is now in south Gaza.”

Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu has made clear that Israeli Defense Forces will eventually restart military operations after the conclusion of the current, temporary ceasefire.

President Joe Biden has said he would like to see the pause – which has also allowed a surge of much-needed humanitarian aid to get into Gaza – continue as long as feasible.

42 min ago

14-year-old freed Palestinian prisoner recounts being in Israeli detention during October 7 attacks​

From CNN's Niamh Kennedy

A 14-year-old Palestinian prisoner who was released Tuesday from Israeli custody recounted his experience as a detainee when the October 7 attacks occurred.

"On the first day (of the war), we heard women being beaten, there was repression and violence," Ahmad Slaimah told journalists about that day.

Ahmad said prisoners were provided with two meals a day but said this "wasn't enough" food and many "slept hungry." He criticized the poor communication between prison staff and prisoners.

According to data gathered by CNN from the Palestinian Prisoner's Society and the Israeli prison authority, the Israel Prison Service, Ahmad had been held under detention but never sentenced for a crime.

The young boy's father, Nayef Slaimah, told journalists that he is grateful for his son's release after he lost all contact with him after October 7.

"When Ahmad was in prison, we couldn’t visit him,” his father said.

CNN has asked the Israeli Prison Service about Ahmad's claims.

I've seen heaps of articles and photos of released Israeli's celebrating their release.
That Palestinian 14 year old boy should be treated the same way.

In my opinion.

Shouldn't he also have the right to a joyous reunion with his family.

And I don't mean one hidden away.
There are differences between kidnapped hostages and prisoners released from prison after committing crimes.

The reunions in Israel have been families rejoicing.

Some of the joyous reunions in Gaza have ended with large crowds waving Hamas flags and with the returning prisoner yelling into a microphone their death threats and violent chats.

One thing I’ve not understood is why Egypt has a blockade against allowing Palestinians in to their country? Or why no other Arab country will accept them. I get Palestinians not wanting to leave their home but everything I’ve read says no one else will take them en masse so that the civilians can leave even if temporarily.

42 min ago

14-year-old freed Palestinian prisoner recounts being in Israeli detention during October 7 attacks​

From CNN's Niamh Kennedy

A 14-year-old Palestinian prisoner who was released Tuesday from Israeli custody recounted his experience as a detainee when the October 7 attacks occurred.

"On the first day (of the war), we heard women being beaten, there was repression and violence," Ahmad Slaimah told journalists about that day.

Ahmad said prisoners were provided with two meals a day but said this "wasn't enough" food and many "slept hungry." He criticized the poor communication between prison staff and prisoners.

According to data gathered by CNN from the Palestinian Prisoner's Society and the Israeli prison authority, the Israel Prison Service, Ahmad had been held under detention but never sentenced for a crime.

The young boy's father, Nayef Slaimah, told journalists that he is grateful for his son's release after he lost all contact with him after October 7.

"When Ahmad was in prison, we couldn’t visit him,” his father said.

CNN has asked the Israeli Prison Service about Ahmad's claims.

I wonder if he was friends with this released prisoner?

One thing I’ve not understood is why Egypt has a blockade against allowing Palestinians in to their country? Or why no other Arab country will accept them. I get Palestinians not wanting to leave their home but everything I’ve read says no one else will take them en masse so that the civilians can leave even if temporarily.

This is a short answer, but plenty of info in the linked article and plenty more articles if you search google

Their refusal is rooted in fear that Israel wants to force a permanent expulsion of Palestinians into their countries and nullify Palestinian demands for statehood.El-Sissi also said a mass exodus would risk bringing militants into Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula, from where they might launch attacks on Israel, endangering the two countries’ 40-year-old peace treaty.

There are differences between kidnapped hostages and prisoners released from prison after committing crimes.

The reunions in Israel have been families rejoicing.

Some of the joyous reunions in Gaza have ended with large crowds waving Hamas flags and with the returning prisoner yelling into a microphone their death threats and violent chats.
In Israel one doesn't need to even prosecuted for a crime to be held indefinitely.
Informative descriptions on how Israel imprisons Palestinian youths and adults.

snip:

'What is administrative detention?'​

'There are 1,264 Palestinian administrative detainees, which means that they are held indefinitely behind bars without facing trial or any charges. This practice, a remnant of the British Mandate era, can be extended indefinitely based on “secret evidence”, meaning that a detainee can spend months if not years in prison without being charged.

While Israel says the procedure allows authorities to hold suspects while continuing to gather evidence, critics and rights groups say the system is widely abused and denies due process.'

Why are so many Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails?​

Al Jazeera
https://www.aljazeera.com › news › 2023/10 › why-a...

Oct 8, 2023 — At least 700 Palestinian children under the age of 18 from the occupied West Bank are prosecuted every year through Israeli military courts ...

Are you saying Iran does not support Hamas with weapons and training?
They clearly supported Hamas with weapons. I dont know about training. Clearly possible. But, its hard to get people in and out of Gaza. And, most Iranians dont speak Arabic.

Thinking the Iranian training support might have been more indirect. Perhaps training select people in Iran on how to manufacture various weapons? Or. "train the trainer" in regards to use?

But.... giving training and weapons does not mean that Iran has day to day control over Hamas.

They clearly supported Hamas with weapons. I dont know about training. Clearly possible. But, its hard to get people in and out of Gaza. And, most Iranians dont speak Arabic.

Thinking the Iranian training support might have been more indirect. Perhaps training select people in Iran on how to manufacture various weapons? Or. "train the trainer" in regards to use?

But.... giving training and weapons does not mean that Iran has day to day control over Hamas.
So only limited influence? I'm not sure.

In my opinion if Iran cut off all support to Hamas it would greatly help in neutralizing their ability to kill and injure innocent people. And that includes Palestinians.

JMO.

In Israel one doesn't need to even prosecuted for a crime to be held indefinitely.
Informative descriptions on how Israel imprisons Palestinian youths and adults.

snip:

'What is administrative detention?'​

'There are 1,264 Palestinian administrative detainees, which means that they are held indefinitely behind bars without facing trial or any charges. This practice, a remnant of the British Mandate era, can be extended indefinitely based on “secret evidence”, meaning that a detainee can spend months if not years in prison without being charged.

While Israel says the procedure allows authorities to hold suspects while continuing to gather evidence, critics and rights groups say the system is widely abused and denies due process.'

Why are so many Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails?

Al Jazeera
https://www.aljazeera.com › news › 2023/10 › why-a...

Oct 8, 2023 — At least 700 Palestinian children under the age of 18 from the occupied West Bank are prosecuted every year through Israeli military courts ...
No offense, but grabbing a microphone and yelling death threats doesn't strike me as the most productive or intelligent thing to do, upon release from the enemy's prison. js

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz