Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Developments #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of material are you all thinking of for the construction of this dome that will contain radiation?

Lead?

A huge lead dome?

:waitasec:

In the late 70s I attended a "NO Nukes" rally at the Hollywood Bowl in California. I still have a pin from it around here somewhere. I may get it out and wear it.

this feels like it's all happening in slow motion

I want to scream FIGURE SOMETHING OUT!

all these countries, all these leaders, all these experts and it seems like just a bunch of talking heads DOING NOTHING

this is unbelievably surreal

I agree...we're basically getting all our info from the news...where are our leaders? Where are the world leaders? Why is no one leading?

Anderson Cooper tweeted that they are leaving the area.

The last trip him and his crew were attacked, now they are close to being nuked. Maybe he needs to stick around home for a bit.

After all the dancing around by the power plant officials and the delayed reaction from the Japanese govt, well I am really worried that they still aren't completely forthcoming.

All nuclear talk aside, I would just like to remind everyone that while they pray, remember the doctors and nurses that are working around the clock in the ONLY operating hospital in Sendai. God bless them.

I'm wondering about Shepard Smith now too. He's over there now as well. It amazed me that all the big whig news anchors and reporters high tailed it over there. Now, they just might be high tailing it outta there.

I haven't seen them wearing any protective clothing and wonder why? Not even masks.

Yesterday I read about the man Yamahata, the photographer of Nagasaki who photographed the devastation of those nuclear bombs. He possibly put himself at unknown risk and lived to be 49 when he succumbed to cancer of the duodenum. http://www.fogonazos.es/2007/02/hiroshima-pictures-they-didnt-want-us_05.html

I think we will find than many will now do everything humanitarian they can to help the Japanese people and will think of the danger to themselves as secondary. Like the GI who found the baby which our poster commented as looking like a flower among the thorns. xox

PS: On the radio tonight I heard that many of the reporters are stuck in place as there is no gas for them to travel from site to site. Gas is pretty well gone so they said.

Ok - another thought. (You can tell I'm just sitting here trying to figure out how to help this situation - even if I do come up with some sci-fi ideas)

What about icebergs? Or at least BIG CHUNKS of icebergs? couldn't they drop these chunks into at least the ones with the roofs blown off?

ok ok ok ok I'll shut up

Ok - another thought. (You can tell I'm just sitting here trying to figure out how to help this situation - even if I do come up with some sci-fi ideas)

What about icebergs? Or at least BIG CHUNKS of icebergs? couldn't they drop these chunks into at least the ones with the roofs blown off?

ok ok ok ok I'll shut up

Sounds like a plan to me!

I was thinking about dry ice earlier. But no, that wouldn't work. Dry ice is actually a chemical that would probably interact severely with the fuel rods.

What kind of material are you all thinking of for the construction of this dome that will contain radiation?

Lead?

A huge lead dome?

:waitasec:
Kat, a steel and concrete dome already surrounds the reactor. It's a back up defense in case the 4-8 inch-thick steel shell melts.

(Reuters) - Japan is counting on four to eight inches of super strong steel to prevent the crisis at its stricken nuclear plant from becoming a radioactive disaster.

The steel containment vessel, 60 feet high and 16 feet wide, is the most critical line of defense protecting the outside world from the nuclear core. Most experts are confident the unit can hold, even in the event of a full-scale meltdown...

Beyond that steel shell, only a larger concrete-and-steel containment dome stands between a potentially lethal radioactive mix and the public. Up to 185,000 people have already been evacuated to a 20-kilometer radius.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/14/us-japan-nuclear-analysis-idUSTRE72D8LM20110314

Yup I figured as much bessie but there was chit chat of putting a dome on the reactor(s) so I was just asking them what material they were going to construct if of...

I wasn't being sarcastic, I'm never sarcastic in RL much less on the internet :)

I was just playing along with the thought process for a bit :)

ETA: There is no physical barrier that can be used at this specific point in time...JMHO

Oh yeah! SEE? Due to safety concerns they left and are not live for the second half of his show!

I might have spoken too soon, eh? Really, today they know the true danger and bet the network pulled them out with the breaking news. xox

Hey, I'd wear that badge, lucky you. LOL

ok ok ok ok I'll shut up

Sounds possible...how about this? Last year we were putting up a sign for my store and hy husband told me to just dig a hole, fill it with dry cement, put the sign in then just add water and the cement would set itself. What about dropping heaps of dry cement on the area then water? Would saltwater cause cement to set? Would cement even work to help the situation?

I'll shut up too...

Nevermind, I see there's already a concrete dome in place.

I wish maybe it would rain.... at least that would help to remove any radiation from the air. You guys hold the fort down. I am off to bed, and I really hope for a glimmer of good news tomorrow. My thoughts are with all of the people in Japan...

Sounds possible...how about this? Last year we were putting up a sign for my store and hy husband told me to just dig a hole, fill it with dry cement, put the sign in then just add water and the cement would set itself. What about dropping heaps of dry cement on the area then water? Would saltwater cause cement to set? Would cement even work to help the situation?

I'll shut up too...
That might work - but what about the pressure that would build up before the cement sets? There has to be a way to release at least some of that pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallon