Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Developments #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish maybe it would rain.... at least that would help to remove any radiation from the air. You guys hold the fort down. I am off to bed, and I really hope for a glimmer of good news tomorrow. My thoughts are with all of the people in Japan...

It is supposed to rain/snow. Will that help?

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/47590.html

eta: Here's the answer to that--

t a shelter in Sendai, workers told CBS News that everyone must avoid Tuesday's rain, as it carries nuclear radiation. Low-level radioactive wind from the nuclear reactor in Fukushima could reach Tokyo within 10 hours, based on current winds, the French embassy says. Radiation at up to 9 times the normal level was briefly detected in Kanagawa near Tokyo.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503543_162-20043127-503543.html

Hi Peliman, If there is a radioactive cloud do you think it will follow the path f the Tsunami, east to Hawaii first and then the west coast of North America?

Hi Scandi,

(Speculation only) Everything depends on a number of factors, amount of radiation released, wind speed, altitude, direction, humidity, precipitation, time. Rain really knocks the fallout/radiation down to earth. I could always be wrong but I think the chances of Hawaii or the US seeing contamination are remote/very slim.

With no one manning the reactors it is just in God's hands now as to what happens IMO. I hope all life is a safe distance away, and what, west. Is 30 kilometers about 20 miles? Ta

If everything works as planned the reactor core vessel will keep major radiation inside even after a melt down. If not, contamination could be much higher. If I remember right, Chernobyl was isolated by helicopter drops of concrete from the air. I'm thinking this maybe used to control reactor #4. I'm thinking reactor #4 is the one causing radiation problems, the one with the fire and used fuel.

There are still workers working on cool downs but if they all left, the containment vessels hopefully will not rupture. I'm not clear on the status, architecture of #4.

JMO

It's midnight here and I wish I could sleep, but I feel guilty...I know that my bed is warm and dry, my children are all safe, well fed, healthy and accounted for, I will have breakfast in the morning and the school bus will pick up my son as my roommate and boyfrined drive off to work. The news will show the horror stories next to the funny stories about kittens in trees, and I will laugh at the funny stories, and my biggest concern in some moments will be that homework will get a low grade.

We have it so darn easy, and yet, days ago, we were complaining about gas prices and how we might have to pay more for milk...We are spoiled rotten.

Supposedly rain is bad.. it further disperses the radiation that is in the air......

"This rain contained large amounts of radioactive soot and dust, thus contaminating areas far from the hypocenter. It is said that fish died in ponds and rivers, and people who drank well water suffered from diarrhea for about 3 months. After the explosion, high levels of residual radiation remained on the ground for an extended period. Many who did not directly experience the bomb were affected."

Graphic pic at the link..
http://www.hiroshima-spirit.jp/en/museum/morgue_w17.html

:eek: Thought I would check the USGS website for up to the minute earthquake reports, and there has been an earthquake in Uganda in the last hour. It was a 5.0 on the richter scale, which isn't all that big, but I don't recall ever seeing an earthquake in Uganda before. I check that site all the time because earthquakes fascinate me. I had been trying to discuss the cluster of Arkansas earthquakes with my husband for the last 3 weeks. Arkansas is still having a lot of little earthquakes that are tightly clustered north of Little Rock. I don't think we have seen the last of whatever is going on.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/

Yes, rain would be bad, as I undersatnd it, because of the water cycle. The radiation in the air woul dbe forced to the ground, some would be spread farther by the impact of that water, more woul dbe sucked up into the clouds when the rain evaporated, and then deposited further on down the line than if it just settled "naturally". IM(nonscientific)O.

I think that if I lived in Tokyo that I would be taking very active and aggressive steps to leave the country. These poor, poor people----it just keeps getting worse and worse.

blogs.forbes.com

I really liked dancer of the drudonim much better.

Hi I. b., What was with me - all those typos with 'd's'. That was a good comment on your part tho and I do agree with you. xox

Yes, rain would be bad, as I undersatnd it, because of the water cycle. The radiation in the air woul dbe forced to the ground, some would be spread farther by the impact of that water, more woul dbe sucked up into the clouds when the rain evaporated, and then deposited further on down the line than if it just settled "naturally". IM(nonscientific)O.

Hi Not my kids, I thought the forcast in N Japan was for snow showers. It is quite cold there.

I think that if I lived in Tokyo that I would be taking very active and aggressive steps to leave the country. These poor, poor people----it just keeps getting worse and worse.

blogs.forbes.com

Welcome to Websleuths! :welcome:

I'm sorry your link isn't working!

:eek: Thought I would check the USGS website for up to the minute earthquake reports, and there has been an earthquake in Uganda in the last hour. It was a 5.0 on the richter scale, which isn't all that big, but I don't recall ever seeing an earthquake in Uganda before. I check that site all the time because earthquakes fascinate me. I had been trying to discuss the cluster of Arkansas earthquakes with my husband for the last 3 weeks. Arkansas is still having a lot of little earthquakes that are tightly clustered north of Little Rock. I don't think we have seen the last of whatever is going on.

Wow, that does look out of place. I use this as my home page...don't think I've ever seen that.

Wait, isn't there a volcano around there... off to look.

eta: Fort Portal Field is practically right there... [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_volcanoes_in_Uganda[/ame]

Hmmm

Yup I figured as much bessie but there was chit chat of putting a dome on the reactor(s) so I was just asking them what material they were going to construct if of...

I wasn't being sarcastic, I'm never sarcastic in RL much less on the internet :)

I was just playing along with the thought process for a bit :)

ETA: There is no physical barrier that can be used at this specific point in time...JMHO
Oh, I knew you weren't being sarcastic, Kat. :) You're right. Nothing will contain the radiation now. If I understand the situation correctly, the existing barriers at No. 2 were damaged in an explosion this morning, and it has been abandoned. A full meltdown is now a possibility, with the greatest risk being a steam explosion. Even if it were possible to encase the reactor in a dome now, another explosion would destroy it.

A good article at the link:

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2011/03/new_york_times_reports_that_nu.html

Four more days until the 'super moon'... I might go to the grocery store and stock up tomorrow. For real.

Not (too) near an ocean, not on an earthquake fault, not in midwest tornado territory, not very close to a nuclear reactor... but right smack dab near Washington DC -- a huge terrorist target. Wonder if this super moon will affect people? :(

"This rain contained large amounts of radioactive soot and dust, thus contaminating areas far from the hypocenter. It is said that fish died in ponds and rivers, and people who drank well water suffered from diarrhea for about 3 months. After the explosion, high levels of residual radiation remained on the ground for an extended period. Many who did not directly experience the bomb were affected."

Graphic pic at the link..
http://www.hiroshima-spirit.jp/en/museum/morgue_w17.html

I suppose it's a choice, rain knocking radiation to the earth or more radiation in the atmosphere moving across the globe. Personally I hope it's all absorbed in the pacific ocean than a human population.

It's midnight here and I wish I could sleep, but I feel guilty...I know that my bed is warm and dry, my children are all safe, well fed, healthy and accounted for, I will have breakfast in the morning and the school bus will pick up my son as my roommate and boyfrined drive off to work. The news will show the horror stories next to the funny stories about kittens in trees, and I will laugh at the funny stories, and my biggest concern in some moments will be that homework will get a low grade.

We have it so darn easy, and yet, days ago, we were complaining about gas prices and how we might have to pay more for milk...We are spoiled rotten.

Yes we are NMK. If anyone ever has the chance to live outside of the USA in a country that has disadvantaged people or those that live in poverty (not poverty by USA standards but poverty by 3rd world standards) it will be impossible to not almost fall on our knees in gratitude.

Japan is industrialized to the extent and level that the USA is (I had to explain that to my children that this isn't like the Philippines or Sri Lanka) so it is the same as if all of these tragic sets of circimstances had happened in NYC to NYers.

I also will go so far as to say that we aren't getting good solid info out of Japan right now because a catastrophy of epic proportions just happened (anihilation status) and it does take time to regroup and get rescue efforts underway.

From what I can tell they can't even get major rescue efforts underway with this latest tragedy unfolding with the power plants.

Makes me so very sad :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members