Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Developments #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kat the link about the iodine has other info about what to do and how to protect yourself. I don't think there is anything else you can "take" to combat the rest of the things. You just have to protect yourself from high levels. But again, we don't know what levels might or might NOT come this way............

I agree teh.

I'm not purchasing any of it but if someone else does that's their business and none of mine. I said before I would take the meds or give the meds to my kids when the military docs tell me to and not before. Again just me.

I do think that if anyone gets enough exposure to warrant a dosage of the meds then they also need to keep in mind that the meds are only going to save their thyroid. That exposure carries a lot more consequences. A lot more.

I have been watching news here. Still no elevation or spikes---just thought I would post that for those on west coast. All good here so far :)

Jetting out to other side of island---high winds today--I'll drive real slow :)

from reuters twitter

analysis: Japan nuclear crisis reaches new levels

U.S. Calls Radiation ‘Extremely High’ and Urges Deeper Caution in Japan

Excerpt:
WASHINGTON — The chairman of the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission gave a significantly bleaker appraisal of the threat posed by Japan’s nuclear crisis than the Japanese government, saying on Wednesday that the damage at one crippled reactor was much more serious than Japanese officials had acknowledged and advising Americans to evacuate a wider area around the plant than the perimeter established by Japan.
The announcement marked a new and ominous chapter in the five-day long effort by Japanese engineers to bring four side-by-side reactors under control after their cooling systems were knocked out by an earthquake and tsunami last Friday. It also suggested a serious split between Washington and Tokyo, after American officials concluded that the Japanese warnings were insufficient, and that, deliberately or not, they had understated the potential threat of what is taking place inside the nuclear facility.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/17/world/asia/17nuclear.html

I've been pondering the "return of power" to this plant that "they" have talked about today. C'mon - LQQK at those new pictures. At least two of these buildings are nothing but twisted metal and concrete - do any of you really think that IF they do restore power that anything is going to work (or come online) in either of these buildings?

From what I have read and talking with that pharmacist yesterday, these iodide pills won't do much. Yes, they will help your thyroid. But they do much better for children because their thyroids are still growing. The rest of your body and the amount of exposure is still going to be there and these pills won't do squat for that.

I think people are putting too much "faith" into these pills. It isn't going to matter if you are exposure to high levels for any length of time.

What worries me is the food chain. Even if this "cloud" doesn't get to our west coast - some of it will be absorbed into the clouds and then released by the water cycle. This will put it into the ground which our veggies and fruit are grown, which the cows, chickens and such eat and then, we, in turn eat them. That's what is bothering me.

BBM: Me too :(

Multi vitamins contain both potassium and iodine (usually at 100% of DV), are they not adequate if taken in larger dosages to equal the levels of iodine needed????

The operator of the quake-damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant says it is trying to install new power lines to reactivate its cooling systems in a desperate effort to stop the ongoing radioactive leakage.

Tokyo Electric Power Company says it wants to start the work to install the new lines as early as Thursday morning.

The top priority at the moment is restoring the functions of the cooling systems now that radiation is continuing to leak from the plant.

Tokyo Power Electric Company says it is considering laying new power lines into the plant directly from cables of another power company. The company says it hopes to reactivate the cooling systems by connecting the cables to a makeshift switchboard and using them as an emergency power source for the systems.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/mar/16/japan-nuclear-crisis-tsunami-aftermath-live

What did I read? That those spent fuel rods are supposed to be under 30 ft. of water? I don't think spraying a hose is going to do it. jmo

Can we get a good source that explains how Potassium iodide and tincture of iodine are used to protect the thyroid from cancer, how much radiation exposure is required before this method is used and when the human body is exposed to those levels of radiation what are the consequences for all other organs in the human body besides the thyroid?

I think that's really important to understand. I don't know the answers.

Because, if we get enough radiation exposure to require dosages then it is also important to understand that you may be able to save your thyroid from becoming cancerous but you will have other organs that will have had the same level of exposure and those will be impacted as well and as much more than likely.

KWIM?

I think basically you can save your thyroid but what about the rest of your body? What about your/children's reproductive organs? Just a thought....

Basically, from what I understand, the thyroid would absorb the good iodine and not allow the bad radioactive be absorbed. ? I have no clue on what would happen to the rest of the body or if the body could be affected by the rise in regular iodine consumption...kidneys for example.
???

Multi vitamins contain both potassium and iodine (usually at 100% of DV), are they not adequate if taken in larger dosages to equal the levels of iodine needed????

er, NO. Vitamins can be dangerous when you take to many of them. Not a good idea. Some vitamins have lethal levels. I'm not a Dr., nor do I play one on tee vee, but I know vitamins can be poison.

I would like to challenge all WS'ers to go back and listen and watch Mr. Jaczko as he answers the questions directed to him during this interview. Using your analytical skills and hinky meter, I would ask you, just how forth coming you really believe he is being?

The operator of the quake-damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant says it is trying to install new power lines to reactivate its cooling systems in a desperate effort to stop the ongoing radioactive leakage.

Tokyo Electric Power Company says it wants to start the work to install the new lines as early as Thursday morning.

The top priority at the moment is restoring the functions of the cooling systems now that radiation is continuing to leak from the plant.

Tokyo Power Electric Company says it is considering laying new power lines into the plant directly from cables of another power company. The company says it hopes to reactivate the cooling systems by connecting the cables to a makeshift switchboard and using them as an emergency power source for the systems.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/mar/16/japan-nuclear-crisis-tsunami-aftermath-live
You have got to be kidding me!!!! They are going to try to "steal" power from the other plant? Really? Like stretching a big ole extension cord. WTH happens if they do this and then throw the switch and all hello breaks loose and the other plant now looses power?

This is utterly ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and very scary - who are these people?)

I've been pondering the "return of power" to this plant that "they" have talked about today. C'mon - LQQK at those new pictures. At least two of these buildings are nothing but twisted metal and concrete - do any of you really think that IF they do restore power that anything is going to work (or come online) in either of these buildings?

I did hear (hearsay) one of the issues with bringing the plant back on-line is the set up of their grid. The north and south grids do not interconnect. It also appears to me they have one power company. (I could be wrong, I did not research the companies.)

IF they could restore power, the pumps to get water into the reactors should be underground and the outer shell of the buildings and the mangled metal and concrete should not be an issue.

John King, CNN, interviewing one of the nuclear dudes (forgive me, didn't catch his name or his title but he has worked on these same reactors and has been interviewed before), he says the situation is at Chernobyl level right now. Hopefully someone else was watching and is able to give the guy's name.

I did hear (hearsay) one of the issues with bringing the plant back on-line is the set up of their grid. The north and south grids do not interconnect. It also appears to me they have one power company. (I could be wrong, I did not research the companies.)

IF they could restore power, the pumps to get water into the reactors should be underground and the outer shell of the buildings and the mangled metal and concrete should not be an issue.
Maybe not for the power but the actual "spigots" that the water flows out of have got to be mangled and certainly NOT pointing or directed into the ponds or wherever.

I think all the "restoring power" talk is just that - hot air talk.

I would like to challenge all WS'ers to go back and listen and watch Mr. Jaczko as he answers the questions directed to him during this interview. Using your analytical skills and hinky meter, I would ask you, just how forth coming you really believe he is being?

I don't believe any of "they" are being truthful, but what else we got? I figure the truth lies between "don't worry, be happy" and "OMG! WTF!"

Off topic:

Anyone remember mixing idodine with mineral oil to sunbathe? Or was that meruchrome? (spelling off on both ahah)

Headed out to target to exchange some drapes. I'll check back on updates ---thanks to everyone for keeping this the best source of info on the net! :)

OMG,you read my mind!! I was just going to post that.

What did I read? That those spent fuel rods are supposed to be under 30 ft. of water? I don't think spraying a hose is going to do it. jmo

Yeppers, 30 feet above the top of the rods... And, the way the plants are built, the only way the water can escape the pool is if there is a breach in the wall of the pond.

No source documents for this...

It was baby oil and iodine.......I used to be a sun worshiper. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname