JLM: Other Possible Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a female and I regularly carry 50 pound sacks of feed. I do not lift weights or anything and I can carry those sacks. I would guess that an average man has at least four times the upper body strength that I do.

I think there's some subjectivity at play here. Compare: my husband's 6', extremely fit. I'm 130lbs. He can pick me up, sure, but he can't carry me very far. If I were either fighting or limp, he'd drop me. Just another data point...but many men couldn't carry a 120lb person very far, particularly if the person is uncooperative. (See also subjective discussions of height that took place on some of these threads...I think of my husband as "average" height, because the men in my family are all 6'2" or more).

JM's capacity to carry a 120lb person is less subjective, IMO. He could restrain and haul just about any average-sized woman out there.

I think there's some subjectivity at play here. Compare: my husband's 6', extremely fit. I'm 130lbs. He can pick me up, sure, but he can't carry me very far. If I were either fighting or limp, he'd drop me. Just another data point...but many men couldn't carry a 120lb person very far, particularly if the person is uncooperative. (See also subjective discussions of height that took place on some of these threads...I think of my husband as "average" height, because the men in my family are all 6'2" or more).

JM's capacity to carry a 120lb person is less subjective, IMO. He could restrain and haul just about any average-sized woman out there.

I also think we need to factor in the level of desperation and absolute necessity a person covering up a murder has vs. just a guy carrying his wife around for the heck of it.

I bet most of us could find a way to move a body if we had to.

MH -> Fairfax victim

Spooked, the suspect fled, leaving behind crucial DNA evidence in the blood and skin under his victim's fingernails.
This DNA connected the attacker to the[sic] , who disappeared during an October 2009 Metallica concert at the John Paul Jones Arena in Charlottesville. But after over five years of feeding that skin and blood evidence through state and national DNA databases, police have yet to find an exact match.
According to the FBI, DNA evidence linked the Harrington case to a 2005 sexual assault in Fairfax City.

JLM-> HG

"Last week, the arrest of Jesse L. Matthew Jr., 32, of Charlottesville, Va., provided a significant break in this case with a new forensic link for state police investigators to pursue. There is a still a great deal of work to be done in regards to this investigation and we appreciate the public’s patience as we move forward."

Geller declined to comment beyond her statement, but a law enforcement source with knowledge of the investigation confirmed to The Times-Dispatch that the DNA was a match.

http://patch.com/virginia/fairfaxci...a-fairfax-rape-and-mor84c9a34d12#.VCm-AxZWXKc

http://m.timesdispatch.com/news/sta...a06-40f1-54cb-82a9-ff393f930b89.html?mode=jqm

No official confirmation that DNA is the link between JLM and HG, so that remains to be seen.

Please continue discussing MH and the Fairfax victim in the appropriate thread linked here.
JLM: Morgan Harrington/Fairfax Rape Victim - *Forensic Link* to MH

You're just wonderful - I forgot about the fingernails and my DNA Google just gurgled.
This is why I love links that accompany posts - they help my fat head put things together.

Thanks for all you do!

:blowkiss:

Well, that's a done deal. I had no doubt he was involved with the FFX rape and Morgan Harrington.

I'm sure the FFX victim feels some relief to know her rapist is no longer walking the streets. And, maybe the Harringtons will feel some peace knowing there will be some justice for their daughter.

FWIW, with the reports we have seen about JM "throwing" women over his shoulder (I picture this as a sort of fireman's carry, basically), I don't think it's too far fetched to think that he likely carried Morgan out to the field similarly. If not, there are many ways it could have happened. Heck, he could have dragged her, and I'm sorry to be so blunt :( that would account for some of the damage to her body...

I'm not sure on the timeline, but it's possible he was driving a cab at that time, which would have been the perfect opportunity in so many ways.

I just had sort of an awful thought.
I read somewhere on one of the HG threads that the 2002 alleged rape victim dropped out of school, and then perhaps went to another country (was from another country?). Sorry, I have no link.

If this is true, is there any way of knowing that she is still safe and alive somewhere?? :(

MH's necklace and camera were not found with her body.

It's possible that LE discovered a piece of evidence tying JLM to MH when they searched his vehicle and car.

Calico, stated in another thread that LE asked the public to look for specific articles of clothing that Hannah was wearing the night she disappeared but they did not mention the jewelry she was wearing.

Perhaps we should consider the possibility that JLM kept souvenirs when looking at him as a suspect in other cases.

Are there other cases that fit where the body was discovered but jewelry was not recovered. MH was still wearing her signet ring when her remains were found. Her mother valued the ring at roughly $800 dollars. Significant street value IMO.

We're going to need a check made of vehicle registrations for Jesse Matthew. Is this possible?

Heidi Childs and David Meltzer were murdered on the same date, August 26th!

[Heidi Childs and David Meltzer were murdered on the same date, August 26th! Foxfire posted information on an attempted abduction that occurred August 26th of a different year to which Mountain Misst responded. That part of the post did not copy. So sorry :) ]

Is it actually DNA that ties 3 victims?

A "forensic link" ties him to Morgan Harrington. They have not said whether or not that ties him to the Fairfax rape.

This is what worries me. That there's more than just him involved.

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/loc...-jesse-matthew-to-morgan-harrington/16426569/

Virginia State Police confirmed the forensic link and released the following statement Monday:

For the past five years, the Virginia State Police has been aggressively pursuing the investigation into the disappearance and death of 20-year-old Morgan D. Harrington of Roanoke, Va. Last week, the arrest of Jesse L. Matthew Jr., 32, of Charlottesville, Va., provided a significant break in this case with a new forensic link for state police investigators to pursue. There is a still a great deal of work to be done in regards to this investigation and we appreciate the public's patience as we move forward.
Anyone with new information concerning the Harrington investigation is encouraged to contact the Virginia State Police at 434-352-3467 or the Jefferson Area Crime Stoppers at 434-977-4000.

Article from the DM about possible other victims (including Morgan)

" ...... a source with detailed knowledge of Matthew’s background alerted MailOnline to a likely link with Morgan’s disappearance as soon as he was charged with Hannah Graham’s abduction. Speaking to MailOnline the source said: ‘After Morgan disappeared LJ [Matthew] started growing his hair and shaved off his beard. I mentioned to him that he looked like the man in the sketch [of a suspect issued by police following Morgan’s disappearance]. It was the spitting image of him. He didn’t reply, he just said “oh”, which was unusual. He normally always had something to say. Even friends from elementary school said he looked like the man in the sketch. At the time when the incident happened he had a beard and short hair. And he was a lot darker then.But he grew his hair out and shaved his beard off. He had his hair twisted. And then he grew it out into dreads and he wore it in a pony tail."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Jesse-Matthew-coped-raped-murdered-2009.html

Actually, following up on my own thought...
I wonder if the woman in 2002 decided not to press charges because JM threatened to kill her.

I read somewhere on one of the HG threads that the 2002 alleged rape victim dropped out of school, and then perhaps went to another country (was from another country?). Sorry, I have no link.

If this is true, is there any way of knowing that she is still safe and alive somewhere?? :(

That's really sad to me. Why didn't any of these people call the police?

Article from the DM about possible other victims (including Morgan)

" ...... a source with detailed knowledge of Matthew’s background alerted MailOnline to a likely link with Morgan’s disappearance as soon as he was charged with Hannah Graham’s abduction. Speaking to MailOnline the source said: ‘After Morgan disappeared LJ [Matthew] started growing his hair and shaved off his beard. I mentioned to him that he looked like the man in the sketch [of a suspect issued by police following Morgan’s disappearance]. It was the spitting image of him. He didn’t reply, he just said “oh”, which was unusual. He normally always had something to say. Even friends from elementary school said he looked like the man in the sketch. At the time when the incident happened he had a beard and short hair. And he was a lot darker then.But he grew his hair out and shaved his beard off. He had his hair twisted. And then he grew it out into dreads and he wore it in a pony tail."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Jesse-Matthew-coped-raped-murdered-2009.html

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but I wonder if JM has relatives in Indiana? These cases seem so much like Lauren Spierer? Is it possible that JM didn't actually stop committing crimes for 5 years but somehow perhaps moved to another state temporarily or went on vacation.

I think you might be confusing the LU student/rape incident with the Fairfax rape victim who was attacked as she walked home from a grocery store at night. It was the Fairfax victim who was from another country. Two different people.

A "forensic link" ties him to Morgan Harrington. They have not said whether or not that ties him to the Fairfax rape.

I've been wondering about this, too. It made me think that they had evidence of MH's possessions and/or DNA somewhere on JM's belongings or in his car/apartment. I know other folks have mentioned her missing necklace. (I'm actually convinced they searched JM's car based on some item of HG's visible in plain sight inside--her shoes or watch, perhaps. Speculating here, but I think he's a souvenir collector--the Pantera shirt gives me the shivers.)

I'd be thrilled to hear it confirmed that they've got a solid DNA link between these three cases.

Has anyone looked for unsolved rapes, murders, missing in the Newport News/Virginia Beach area during '03?

I am a female and I regularly carry 50 pound sacks of feed. I do not lift weights or anything and I can carry those sacks. I would guess that an average man has at least four times the upper body strength that I do.

In college I weighed 135 pounds and my boyfriend at the time liked to pick me up and swing me over his shoulder and twirl me around.

I am just baffled how anyone can reach the conclusion that one man could not have carried a 120 pound load, defensive lineman or not.

I would have to agree with you there. He's a big dude, and there's also something to be said for the strength one acquires when surged with adrenaline. As sick and sad as it is to say, he was probably full of adrenaline after he did what he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea