JLM: What Do We Know About Him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a really interesting statement. I know some have described him as sweet, gentle, etc.
But I've wondered about the description of his behavior that night; the sweating, the boundary issues, etc. Did something "change" physically for him each time he raped and murdered, which got worse each time; then, as you put it, this was his "cracking" point?

Not something that can ever be answered, but just struck me.

Loss of control - the tumultuous swing between violence and contriteness. It was when I read the article about the altercation Matthew had with the Charlottesville lawyer in 2009 (see quote below) - the anger and swift act of violence (the pendulum swings) followed by complete remorse. In my mind......2 people lived in Jesse Matthew's head and this is why some saw the "teddy bear" and others saw the monster.

per http://wvtf.org/post/charlottesville-journalist-sheds-light-jesse-matthew

"Wilke contends that no sooner had the violence ended that his aggressor suddenly became contrite and remorseful. And Matthew returned the phone and drove him to the hospital, where, Wilke says, he received two stitches to close a cut on the inside of his lip.

Matthew allegedly told Wilke that he had been feeling angry about getting stiffed by two fares that night and that he was sorry for what he'd done."

JM held down a job, had roommates, coached football, and went about his daily life as a "gentle giant". Amazing that a person can commit such horrific crimes and hide in plain sight.

When JM saw HG and immediately changed direction to follow her I think he may have had intentions of flirting with her and trying to get her to to engage sexually with him, but he may not at the outset intended on committing a crime ending in murder. He allowed himself to be seen with HG by many people because he wasn't initially intending on harming her. I think he is the type of offender that 'snaps'. Rape is more about power and control than it is about sex. He got enraged.
Yes, I believe that may be the case. It makes no sense any other way.

Yeah, I unfortunately know what the rapists want when they rape... not sex, it's all about power and control.

Loss of control - the tumultuous swing between violence and contriteness. It was when I read the article about the altercation Matthew had with the Charlottesville lawyer in 2009 (see quote below) - the anger and swift act of violence (the pendulum swings) followed by complete remorse. In my mind......2 people lived in Jesse Matthew's head and this is why some saw the "teddy bear" and others saw the monster.

per http://wvtf.org/post/charlottesville-journalist-sheds-light-jesse-matthew

"Wilke contends that no sooner had the violence ended that his aggressor suddenly became contrite and remorseful. And Matthew returned the phone and drove him to the hospital, where, Wilke says, he received two stitches to close a cut on the inside of his lip.

Matthew allegedly told Wilke that he had been feeling angry about getting stiffed by two fares that night and that he was sorry for what he'd done."

Wait, Matthew drove the guy to the hospital? That's scary. I think that lawyer is lucky to be alive. Matthew was probably thinking of a way to get rid of him during the ride to the hospital.

Ted Bundy didn't have a type.

Look at some of the high profile serial killers...they don't look very scary.

Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, Son of Sam, and now JLM.... wolves in sheep's clothing. Nice enough to be friendly and take a woman's guard off, then when it's time.. completely change into a monster.

Yes, I believe that may be the case. It makes no sense any other way.

Yeah, I unfortunately know what the rapists want when they rape... not sex, it's all about power and control.

I personally think that he was probably always looking for someone to prey on and who better than a vulnerable, trusting, drunk, young girl. I think he had murder on his mind thats what serial killers do.

He probably didn't intend to kill any of them, but when they rejected him....he became violent.

Ted Bundy didn't have a type.

Sort of. They were all young and white. As to JLM, even if his type was "really tall" well that would be a poorly thought-out type since most women are not all that tall. I am 5'10" and I rarely see women my height or taller. I think JLM just liked any woman or girl who was "available" to him.

I personally think that he was probably always looking for someone to prey on and who better than a vulnerable, trusting, drunk, young girl. I think he had murder on his mind thats what serial killers do.

I do too. We know he had graduated to murder when he killed Morgan and once they elevate to doing this they want to keep doing it.

I think he had intentions all along to rape and kill her when he abducted Hannah

Based on his reported lack of intelligence, I'll bet they find Hanna within a 5 mile radius of Anchorage Farm.

I wonder if JLM could have used his trip to TX to dispose of any potential "trophies" from previous attacks, if there were any. Hypothetically speaking, let's say I committed multiple crimes but was only visibly linked through eye witnesses/video/etc. as a potential suspect in one of them. If LE started circling around me and I thought I was going down for it, I'd want to limit their scope to just that one crime.

(My first post, so please accept my apologies if I made any green-behind-the-ears errors.)

This is a really interesting statement. I know some have described him as sweet, gentle, etc.
But I've wondered about the description of his behavior that night; the sweating, the boundary issues, etc. Did something "change" physically for him each time he raped and murdered, which got worse each time; then, as you put it, this was his "cracking" point?

Not something that can ever be answered, but just struck me.

for what it's worth and JIMO. I don't think he necessarily cracked. I think he was just doing what he does although probably less carefully and he just got caught. I think in the past he has just been lucky, and also it is just really hard to solve crime where the victim and the offender have no real link at all. Most murders are solved in part by looking for who would benefit the most and who was closest to the victim.

He probably didn't intend to kill any of them, but when they rejected him....he became violent.

I think he did. I think he took great pleasure beating them to death.

Brutal rapes had become boring to him. IMO

He wanted even more power and control over his victims.

IMO

Knowing what we now know about JM, it really creeps me out that he worked as a patient transporter at a hospital. :(

Knowing what we now know about JM, it really creeps me out that he worked as a patient transporter at a hospital. :(

Was literally about to post the exact same thing! Something about sick people/people going into surgery- the vulnerability of their state- that is just awful to think about here. Maybe he liked being in that position. Where there were vulnerable people around him...

I wonder if JLM could have used his trip to TX to dispose of any potential "trophies" from previous attacks, if there were any. Hypothetically speaking, let's say I committed multiple crimes but was only visibly linked through eye witnesses/video/etc. as a potential suspect in one of them. If LE started circling around me and I thought I was going down for it, I'd want to limit their scope to just that one crime.

(My first post, so please accept my apologies if I made any green-behind-the-ears errors.)

:wagon: to Websleuths, caveat!

I'm glad you've joined us! :wave:

Look at some of the high profile serial killers...they don't look very scary.

Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, Son of Sam, and now JLM.... wolves in sheep's clothing. Nice enough to be friendly and take a woman's guard off, then when it's time.. completely change into a monster.

My personal fave was the I-5 killer, Randy Woodfield. I for sure would've been one of his victims had I lived during his reign of terror and in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cheyenne1060