Jodi Arias TAKES THE STAND #27 *may contain graphic and adult content*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that JM being aggressive in his cross is going to be an issue simply because he has been pretty darned aggressive with every witness so far. He shocked me with the way he went after Flores in such a contentious manner. I have never seen JM before, so I don't know if this is the way he normally is, or that he decided to be aggressive with all of the witnesses as a strategy because he was going to have to be extra forceful with her. I suspect that this is just his style and that the jurors can see that. I've read that he is an expert on trial strategy, so I think he knows what he is doing.

I think he is going to be aggressive with her, and I think that is necessary and appropriate not to treat her like a victim. I think Juan will quickly bring the jury's focus back to the brutality of Travis' death, and he will demand answers from Jodi and challenge her every diversion, inconsistency, and manipulation. I think he will be very deliberate in showing that she will say anything at all to paint herself in a more flattering light -- which includes her dragging Travis' legacy through the mud, after brutally murdering him, to further her own purposes.

Ran across this and just had to post it again. JA is such a lousy liar that I'm sure the other one has giggle fits if she does, (and I bet she does), follow this trial.

Amateur.jpg

Another aspect to consider is whether or not the jurors will have the ability to weigh the evidence and testimony. For example, if Person A and Person B tell diametrically opposed stories, will the jury give them equal weight? That is, will they consider them to be equally important and relevant to the case? Or will the jurors have enough common sense, insight and gut instinct to determine which of those two persons is more likely to be both accurate and truthful, and therefore, give greater weight/importance to that person's testimony?

That is my biggest fear: that the jurors will give equal weight to all testimony heard. :(

I hope the jury has the sense to give actual physical evidence the greatest weight - way more than ANY verbal testimony.
If they do, JA is toast.

Ugh...never tried my mobile device before but decided to wait in the car for hubby to get his haircut. Oh well I can just read then! :)

Sent from my DROID X2

I was wondering about Juan's experience with DP cases, so I did a little research and out of the 103 inmates on death row in Arizona, Juan has successfully prosecuted at least 6 cases, 5 men and 1 woman (Wendi Adriano).

I say at least because I couldn't find a lot of information on a couple of trial.

It is obvious that Juan Martinez is an incredible prosecutor, he's proved that already. But, as we are in the middle of the defense case, with JA on the stand, under direct examination, spewing lies, and dragging Travis' name through the mud... I find that any bit of encouraging information make me feel better.

Juan Martinez knows what he's doing. Just thought I'd share.

:)

The most memorable thing about Bundy's trial (where he was his own attorney) is that he, through a Florida legal loophole, actually got married during it. Literally in the middle of testifying his fiancee became his wife. Talk about crazy.

IIRC there were a couple of outbursts altogether. (Bundy was one of my first 'pet' cases. I believe in going full throttle, can't ya tell? ;)) I found a youtube clip of one but if memory serves when the first jury came back with a guilty verdict there was another. :waitasec: It's been awhile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FLQV-cUKOg

Like JA, Bundy was baptized into the Mormon church. I think he met a Mormon woman and then converted because of her. I might have read that in Ann Rule's book.

" Sometime during the year he lived in Utah he was baptized into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, although he was not an active participant in services and ignored most church restrictions.[101][102] (When asked his religious preference after his arrest, Bundy answered "Methodist", the religion of his childhood.[103])"

Source: Wiki Ted Bundy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was wondering about Juan's experience with DP cases, so I did a little research and out of the 103 inmates on death row in Arizona, Juan has successfully prosecuted at least 6 cases, 5 men and 1 woman (Wendi Adriano).

I say at least because I couldn't find a lot of information on a couple of trial.

It is obvious that Juan Martinez is an incredible prosecutor, he's proved that already. But, as we are in the middle of the defense case, with JA on the stand, under direct examination, spewing lies, and dragging Travis' name through the mud... I find that any bit of encouraging information make me feel better.

I came across some statistics about his trial record the other day, and I believe that he has only once lost a case.

I think he is going to be aggressive with her, and I think that is necessary and appropriate not to treat her like a victim. I think Juan will quickly bring the jury's focus back to the brutality of Travis' death, and he will demand answers from Jodi and challenge her every diversion, inconsistency, and manipulation. I think he will be very deliberate in showing that she will say anything at all to paint herself in a more flattering light -- which includes her dragging Travis' legacy through the mud, after brutally murdering him, to further her own purposes.

I asked this before but I've been in and out today, so here it goes. Can Jodi invoke the fifth once Juan starts to cross examine her? Or can she use it for certain questions only?

I think what people can't understand is that someone who is on an executive level selling legal insurance should know enough to contact his attorney before heading to court to give his testimony. It is obvious he is lying or he would not have asked the judge if he could plead the fifth. Gus lied and got caught. I'm sure his attorney advised him not to return to the State of Arizona and stick with a phone call, only. Oh, and to tell the truth this time. Isn't he due to testify in an evidentiary meeting on the 13th? jmo

Exactly, LambChop! It just seems like someone who makes a living selling the benefits of having a lawyer on hand when they need one, would 1) certainly have such insurance themselves and 2) avail themselves of legal advice when finding themselves involved in a high-profile murder case!

I just find this aspect of this case very funny. And not really a good endorsement of PPL in general, the whole MLM aspect aside.

Another aspect to consider is whether or not the jurors will have the ability to weigh the evidence and testimony. For example, if Person A and Person B tell diametrically opposed stories, will the jury give them equal weight? That is, will they consider them to be equally important and relevant to the case? Or will the jurors have enough common sense, insight and gut instinct to determine which of those two persons is more likely to be both accurate and truthful, and therefore, give greater weight/importance to that person's testimony?

That is my biggest fear: that the jurors will give equal weight to all testimony heard. :(

Nah...I wouldn't sweati it. IMO this jury seems to be on track. At least they seem to get it..meaning...exactly what the defense is and what the REAL story is. Fatal attraction.

Sheeba, did you see the whole trial? Could you give us your impressions of Juan's approach to cross examining this guy?

I just saw a snippet, but he seemed pretty low-key, not as aggressive as he has seemed with some of the other witnesses.

I think he is low key at times and not at other times if he is wanting to stress a point.

He was very nice to Lisa and Darryl Brewer also.

He is an amazing Prosecutor. One of the best Ive ever seen.

imo

BBM I wonder what they knew/thought about TA made them question themselves in the first place. I would have hoped they would have told Nurmi there was no way he was correct, defend TA. They sound rather timid to not have immediately called Nurmi on his BS. IMHO, they should have know that there are good attorneys and bad attorneys, they are in the attorney business PPL! (snark)

They initially believed it because they never imagined that an attorney would lie to them about something so serious. Nurmi was speaking with authority, as someone privy to expert and forensic information. I think most people would have initially believed it, just because of the way it was presented to them -- even so, they apparently expressed extreme shock over the information.

I wouldn't say they are really in the attorney business. I doubt they have any contact with the attorneys in the PPL network. (Yes, I did not your snark :) )

I asked this before but I've been in and out today, so here it goes. Can Jodi invoke the fifth once Juan starts to cross examine her? Or can she use it for certain questions only?

Nope, she's in it all the way now. She has waived her 5th Amendment privilege.

I can't wait. This is how I picture things.

I agree, I read news articles about the Wendi A trial and the Doug G trial and they report JM "grilled". So I don't see his style changing.

I am absolutely appalled by this.

She is threatening that if the State does not give her a plea deal she will drag the victim's name and asscoiates through the mud (COLLATERAL DAMAGE??!!).

What a .

Death Penalty :please:

Did you notice who wrote that, Linda?
Sorry to be harping on Nurmi, but without attorneys willing to cross the ethical line as he seems to be, this sort of testimony would not be allowed.
He threatened it in his plea, and is following through since the state would not "comply" to his "blackmail".
I'm sorry - it just infuriates me.

So far Juan has made every defense witness into a state witness. The one witness more important to Juan than anyone is cross examining JA. I think he has been devising his strategy for some months now and he will also destroy JAs credibility. I am sure he has gone up against a lot of sociopaths in the many years he has tried defendants.

Sociopaths love to talk and Juan likes for them to do just that.

Wendi Adriano was on the stand for 9 days. She also tried to blame her victim claiming self defense and abuse. As we know it did not work. All it got her was a ticket to death row.

IMO

I am absolutely appalled by this.

She is threatening that if the State does not give her a plea deal she will drag the victim's name and asscoiates through the mud (COLLATERAL DAMAGE??!!).

What a .

Death Penalty :please:

Is that attachment for real. I am not even half through it and have found a huge typo that I have a hard time believing made it through proofing.

now that she is going to go w/ this defense - he really has to be very hard on her now?? and i wonder if that is why martinez held back so much evidence because he knew she was going to make these allegations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993