Jury Selection Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lord have mercy on his soul. I can't believe there are 10 women! Lordy, Lordy! As a woman, I wouldn't have an ounce of sympathy for the killer. Do I think the men will? Probably not - but their brains are completely different animals (and I'm not saying that in a bad way). Are the 2 men there for the swing votes? Not saying that I think they would vote NOT guilty, but if I had to pick between a man and a woman, I think the man would give a swing vote first KWIM?

IMHO he's toast anyway I look at it.

MOO

Mel

I was so shocked when I heard that there was 10 women on the jury. I am interested in their ages. I just cannot believe that defense decided upon these jurors, I would think they would want something more even.

Shoot, I posted this information on another thread. I checked before I posted and didn't see this thread. Can a MOD please combine the 2 threads? TIA

I was so shocked when I heard that there was 10 women on the jury. I am interested in their ages. I just cannot believe that defense decided upon these jurors, I would think they would want something more even.

I'm also surprised unless the defense was left with no choice by dismissing others they found less suitable; in other words, ran out of preemptive strikes. :waitasec:

Oh my gosh... How did that happen? I read that article and saw 10 men and two women with 4 men alternates???

Am I losing my mind or was that article corrected after I saw it?

I wondered what on earth anyone could be thinking by putting 10 men on the jury, i.e. was it a way to protect women from seeing the photos?

Now I can see that it is 10 women and two men, I'm so embarassed!

Either way, WHAT are they thinking with so many women? Do they think these women will stay away from the death penalty? Hmmm....what on earth are they thinking. Is there some type of statistic that women are less inclined to give "death?"

PS. MOD?? oh Dear Modster? Do you have the text of my first message on this? I see that it has been deleted. I would like to see if the quote from the article said "10 women" (I quoted from the article). If it did, my mind completely turned the word "women" into "men."

I too am stunned by the ratio of women to men on the jury. It seems extremely counter-intuitive on the defense's part. Half-joking here, but is it possible they think CC is such a "stud" and a "ladies man" that he will win over the female jurors??!!! :sick:

(Sorry, that was nauseating to type, but given Chris's obvious narcissism I had to throw it out there!)

This article at StLtoday mentioned that while women will likely empathize especially with the victims in this case, they might also be less likely to avoid the death penalty... Not sure I 100% agree with that assessment, but there it is FWIW. :waitasec:

It also mentioned that the prosecution used 10 peremptory challenges and the defense 16.

Also very surprising that one juror had a son who was murdered. Could the defense be trying to nudge him toward a plea? "We did the best we could, Chris, but look at this jury, you don't stand a chance? We're not miracle workers you know."

(PS--Wrinkles, I can't access your original message but maybe panthera or Kimster will be able to help out.)

hmm.I didn't think about that. I do believe women are less inclined to hand down the death penalty. I have no fact to back that up, but IMHO, I don't particularly care for the death penalty. However in this case, I would probably have no problemo!

MOO

Mel

Could the defense be trying to nudge him toward a plea? "We did the best we could, Chris, but look at this jury, you don't stand a chance? We're not miracle workers you know."

Excellent point, ynot, and I hope you're right. I must admit I never thought about the fact that his attorneys might be urging him to take a plea and he was holding out. All along I've been assuming that they were as arrogant and slimy as he is, but it would be awfully difficult for them to be as stupid!

Well, I know there are good arguments to be made that he wouldn't take a plea, and maybe he is too stubborn/narcissistic to do so... But between the evidence, and the makeup of the jury, his team has got to be feeling a little nervous!

interesting take on the women dominated jury in that his defense team may be trying to mitigate the punishment to life in prison and may be conceding the fact that a conviction is probable.
-
No plea is likely if you ask me--a plea gets him life--he can hope that the prosecution bungles their case and he walks...even with a death sentence, it's likely to never be carried out-a trial carries better odds for him at this point (small as they may be!)

This article at StLtoday mentioned that while women will likely empathize especially with the victims in this case, they might also be less likely to avoid the death penalty... Not sure I 100% agree with that assessment, but there it is FWIW. :waitasec:

It also mentioned that the prosecution used 10 peremptory challenges and the defense 16.

Also very surprising that one juror had a son who was murdered. Could the defense be trying to nudge him toward a plea? "We did the best we could, Chris, but look at this jury, you don't stand a chance? We're not miracle workers you know."

(PS--Wrinkles, I can't access your original message but maybe panthera or Kimster will be able to help out.)
Good thoughts about the possible defense strategy, knowing they're not going to get a not guilty verdict but hoping all they have is to spare him the DP. MOO

Oh my gosh... How did that happen? I read that article and saw 10 men and two women with 4 men alternates???

Am I losing my mind or was that article corrected after I saw it?

I wondered what on earth anyone could be thinking by putting 10 men on the jury, i.e. was it a way to protect women from seeing the photos?

Now I can see that it is 10 women and two men, I'm so embarassed!

Either way, WHAT are they thinking with so many women? Do they think these women will stay away from the death penalty? Hmmm....what on earth are they thinking. Is there some type of statistic that women are less inclined to give "death?"

PS. MOD?? oh Dear Modster? Do you have the text of my first message on this? I see that it has been deleted. I would like to see if the quote from the article said "10 women" (I quoted from the article). If it did, my mind completely turned the word "women" into "men."
The link you provided in post #3 of this thread is still valid. It states 10 women and 2 men. :)

http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=255228

(I just edited your original post #3 to reflect the correction!)

Hiya All,

I thought I posted this yesterday...musta been a bad brain day :( At anyrate, I can't find a post including what I meant to add for discussion AND I wonder if it might help explain some of the thinking with choosing 10 women and 2 men. Well, that might be aside from, maybe, the defense using all of its peremptory challenges before it got to the 11th and 12th jurors? Maybe the defense had hoped to pick "all women" but didn't have any more peremptory challenges?

From this article by Chris Hayes, Fox2Now:

>>Coleman stands trial April 25th, accused of strangling his wife and kids to be with his mistress. Jurors include a woman who told the Court her son was murdered and a student who said her Aunt was murdered. Both cases remain unsolved, but the women are convinced they could keep an open mind. One woman even said that if police catch her son's killer, she would not want to see him sentenced to death. <<

Hmmm... So there is a juror whose son was murdered but even in the event that her son's killer was tried, she wouldn't want that killer sentenced to death? Is that the "woman" referenced in the last sentence of the above quote? Does that not sound like a HUGELY strong statement against the death penalty? On the other hand, if the son was killed by a motorist who hit them and ran, and it was determined that the son was inebriated and in the middle of the road (as in having been in the road inebriated many times before), well maybe there might be a thought of "We couldn't keep him out of the road, it isn't right to do a hit and run, but he was in the road all the time." I could think of a flock of scenarios like the latter where someone might say, "He was killed, but the circumstances seem to point to someone defending themselves or a mere accident."

Well maybe this isn't a strong statement/conviction against the death penalty, but rather a reflection on the circumstances of how the son was killed? OR, maybe this person would not consider the death penalty for someone who kills only one person? Or maybe they would consider it depending upon the totality of things involved in the murders? One way or another, this sounds a bit troubling that this person made that statement yet they were found to be someone who could consider the death penalty?

Yo! Chris...are you reading? Were you or any of the other reporters on your team around when they were interviewing the above prospective juror? How might a juror who seemed to be making a statement against the death penalty make it onto the jury? Can you or ANYONE that was there explain what the juror might have said that could have permitted both teams of attorneys to consider that she could keep an open mind about a death penalty sentence.

And about peremptory challenges...

Ummm...Nick Pistor, you reading? What's up with the "number" or "counting" on peremptory challenges? (see below) And -- anyone -- while we're at it, how come I can't find any articles that make the number of peremptory challenges permitted in a criminal trial in Illinois clear?

From this St. Louis Today article:

>>The prosecution and defense each has 14 peremptory challenges, the legal term for the right to reject a jury candidate without explanation. They had not used any through Wednesday.<<

Yeesh, what's the "16" in the following? From St. Louis Today article (Pistor):

>>That was the group winnowed to 12 jurors and four alternates on Tuesday. Prosecutors used 10 peremptory challenges to weed out jurors; the defense used 16.<<

So, if they have 14 peremptory challenges, how could they used 16? Or did they have 16 and used 16, or they had 14 and used 14?

Hmmm this issue of peremptory challenge, is it consitutional, what is the actual number allowed in picking a jury for a criminal case in the state of Illinois? I haven't been able to get any answer on this. Can anyone else?

From a wikipedia page (on "peremptory challenge" -- I won't give the URL as it posts funny in here):

>>All jurisdictions in the United States have some form of peremptory challenges. In the United States, the use of peremptory challenges by criminal prosecutors to remove persons from a cognizable group (i.e., of one race, ethnicity, or gender) based on that group characteristic has been ruled to be unconstitutional in Batson v. Kentucky, 476 U.S. 79 (1986). "Batson challenge" is a term now used to refer to the act of arguing for the invalidity of a trial on the basis that peremptory challenges during jury selection resulted in the exclusion of a cognizable group.

Batson's authority has also recently been reinforced in a pair of 2005 decisions, Miller-El v. Dretke, 545 U.S. 231 (2005), and Johnson v. California, 545 U.S. 162 (2005). Furthermore, in 2009 the United States Supreme Court found in a unanimous opinion in Rivera v. Illinois that "there is no freestanding constitutional right to peremptory challenges," even when a court was mistaken in applying Batson.<<

Oh... I was digging for info today and came across something mildly/ridiculously entertaining (if it didn't make you sick.) There is someone (I'll stop there) who is putting out videos on the web about the case (commentary type). I guess that someone figures that Lintz (sp?) was set up and there is some kind of conspiracy surrounding this trial. i.e. that maybe the judge and jury have been bought to get CC off. The video maker is a, well, uh...well let's just say the someone has polka dot painted fingernails (black and white) and mentions several times, "This dog don't hunt" and figures some people might not know what that means. UGH! They're coming out of the woodwork...

Hiya Panthera,

Funny...as in odd... I have seen pages posted on news sites be "rewritten" or "edited" and the editor not mention the editing. I was going to try to find a cached version of the page, but figured the cache would have been updated. I'll chalk it off as me losing my marbles. Thanks for the edits. :)

Hiya Panthera,

Funny...as in odd... I have seen pages posted on news sites be "rewritten" or "edited" and the editor not mention the editing. I was going to try to find a cached version of the page, but figured the cache would have been updated. I'll chalk it off as me losing my marbles. Thanks for the edits. :)

For all the very useful information you've provided, it's the least I could do. :)

The woman who wouldn't want the death penalty in her son's murder..... perhaps when she sees the pictures of the children and Sheri, and then sees the x-rated videos of Chris and Tara, she just might change her mind!

The woman who wouldn't want the death penalty in her son's murder..... perhaps when she sees the pictures of the children and Sheri, and then sees the x-rated videos of Chris and Tara, she just might change her mind!

OMG, the thought of those videos makes me wonder even more why the defense would want so many women on the jury. I know that "cyber-sex" and infidelty are commonplace these days, etc. etc., but aren't women in general likely to be disgusted by this, or at the very least find it pathetic? I mean, I can see a jury of men thinking, "Poor sap, I understand those urges," or possibly even "Wow, Tara's hot!" :)sick:), but aren't those videos going to completely alienate all but the most liberal and sympathetic of females?
Why on earth would he and his lawyers want a bunch of women watching that hot mess??

Again, it makes me wonder if CC thinks he is just so sexy that no woman can possibly resist him! (Gag!!!)

OMG, the thought of those videos makes me wonder even more why the defense would want so many women on the jury. I know that "cyber-sex" and infidelty are commonplace these days, etc. etc., but aren't women in general likely to be disgusted by this, or at the very least find it pathetic? I mean, I can see a jury of men thinking, "Poor sap, I understand those urges," or possibly even "Wow, Tara's hot!" :)sick:), but aren't those videos going to completely alienate all but the most liberal and sympathetic of females?
Why on earth would he and his lawyers want a bunch of women watching that hot mess??

Again, it makes me wonder if CC thinks he is just so sexy that no woman can possibly resist him! (Gag!!!)

LOL! He will soon find out that whether the women think he's sexy is not the question - the important question is whether his roomies find him sexy.

I have to wonder if some of the questions on the questionnaire were "Have you participated in an extramarital affair?", "Have you ever sexted?", "Have you ever made an x-rated video of yourself and your girlfriend/boyfriend?", and "Do you enjoy x-rated videos?" It's gonna take a strong stomach to sit through the videos and pictures in this trial. Chris's parents will be so proud. Wonder if it will make Chris squirm a little?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa