Katie Holmes gives Suri "adult" candy

BBM - I think that's a bit of a stretch and painting with a pretty broad brush in regards to those of us who didn't find this "wiener candy incident" to be a big deal. Just because Suri saw a cartoon penis on a box of candy doesn't mean she has bad parents or that she's exposed to *advertiser censored*. I personally don't even like Tom & Katie but I highly doubt they're putting their daughter in harm's way.

But it's not just a box of candy. That picture a few posts up shows they were standing in an adult section. There are adult items on shelves. There is an item less than a foot from the child's head that has the word c*ck on it in red writing. I have a HUGE problem with that.

If you look really close at this picture, I'm not so sure you can use "good mom"!

There are several items on the shelf that are sexual in nature.
WHY are they standing at it????
WHY?

ETA: At 5 I'm sure she can read. At least read basic words. That white box hanging down has the "other word for rooster" written on it in big red letters!

Hi Kimberly! Sorry for the confusion - I forget people can't read sarcasm even when the words are in italics.

IMO a good mom had no need to have a very young kid out for dessert at midnight, bedtime or not and stopping to chat in front of a sexual - candy display was not appropriate either (had there just been some odd box of penis Jujube's I would feel differently). That display is not PG13. Although I doubt it would cause any lasting damage, it was obvious Katie was not paying attention.

I really need to invest in a sarcasm alert button.

Hi Kimberly! Sorry for the confusion - I forget people can't read sarcasm even when the words are in italics.

IMO a good mom had no need to have a very young kid out for dessert at midnight, bedtime or not and stopping to chat in front of a sexual - candy display was not appropriate either (had there just been some odd box of penis Jujube's I would feel differently). That display is not PG13. Although I doubt it would cause any lasting damage, it was obvious Katie was not paying attention.

I really need to invest in a sarcasm alert button.

No worries!

I don't think it's that she wasn't paying attention. She would had to have been blind not to see what was right in front of her face.

Now the guy holding Suri's stuffed toys looks like he was really into it! :smile:

What kind of store is she in, with a young child, that would even sell that kind of thing?

It's an "upscale" cafe called Serendipity 3.

snipped

The Serendipity 3 pooled their entire fortunes of three hundred dollars and staked a claim to a tiny principality in the basement of a tenement on East Fifty-Eighth Street.

It was New York’s first coffee house boutique. The first Tiffany lampshaded meeting place since the days of Diamond Jim Brady. Serendipity had come into the world four tables, sixteen chairs and a towering espresso machine strong. In no time, [patrons out numbered the facilities. Nightly the line formed, stretching around the block and under the old Third Avenue El.

http://www.serendipity3.com/history.htm

I know that the store Spencer's has adult-type things in it. I would not take my child into Spencer's, but there's no law against it.

Unless she's been abused, what does a five year old know about penises? Maybe she's seen her father naked and seen him pee, but most children aren't going to equate the naked body with sex -- they know nothing about sex.

And where I'm from "I love *advertiser censored*" is seen on T-shirts and bumper stickers everywhere -- if the owner happens to be a Gamecocks fan. It's all relative and I'm sure meaningless to the little girl.

Would these gummy candies be less offensive?
http://www.joeydevilla.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/gummi_lighthouses.jpg

How about these, which are made for children?
http://www.joeydevilla.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/hannah_montana_gummies.jpg

BBM - I think that's a bit of a stretch and painting with a pretty broad brush in regards to those of us who didn't find this "wiener candy incident" to be a big deal. Just because Suri saw a cartoon penis on a box of candy doesn't mean she has bad parents or that she's exposed to *advertiser censored*. I personally don't even like Tom & Katie but I highly doubt they're putting their daughter in harm's way.

I was referring to an earlier post that said something to the effect of, this incident will not harm Suri" [picking up a box of anatomically shaped gummies]. In the broad spectrum of things, no, this one incident probably isn't. But if those "little" things don't bug the parents, what things do? Where do they draw the line?

While my "watching *advertiser censored* together" may seem a bit far-fetched, I was using an example from the other end of the spectrum (penis-shaped gummies = little end of the spectrum, watching *advertiser censored* at home = big end of the spectrum).

I hope I'm being more clear!

It reminds me of the "boiling the frog" allegory:

The boiling frog story is generally told in a metaphorical context, with the upshot being that people should make themselves aware of gradual change lest they suffer eventual undesirable consequences.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog[/ame]

When I first saw the picture of Suri with the wiener gummies, I was horrified. I was under the impression that they were out in public and had brought them along with her. But after hearing the full story, I think it's funny. Surely she had NO idea they were penis candies. How is that going to tramatize her? It appears Katie laughed and then put the candies back. Big whoop-dee-doo. As others have stated, I'm sure glad I don't have cameras following me around while I'm parenting!

(above bbm)
I think the fact that is alarming some people is that she would even be browsing around a store like that with her child. Would you take a child to a strip club where they might "see" inappropriate things, or would you not, because that would be....inappropriate?

(above bbm)
I think the fact that is alarming some people is that she would even be browsing around a store like that with her child. Would you take a child to a strip club where they might "see" inappropriate things, or would you not, because that would be....inappropriate?

I think there is a bit of a mis concept about this place.....it is pretty much just a fancy ice cream parlor that also serves burgers, salads and sandwiches. There are a few shelves of candies and treats and coffee mugs etc.....the usual gift shop kind of things for the most part. I have been to the one outside of Caesar's in Las Vegas and it is a very pink place that a little girl would love. Even there in Vegas, I don't remember seeing any of this sort of thing, so it is not at all an unsavory place for a child. While I am not a particular fan of Tom Cruise or Katie---I don't think taking the child there after an evening out at a show or movie or whatever is any real error on their part. Link to Serendipity 3 below:

http://www.serendipity3.com/main.htm

I think there is a bit of a mis concept about this place.....it is pretty much just a fancy ice cream parlor that also serves burgers, salads and sandwiches. There are a few shelves of candies and treats and coffee mugs etc.....the usual gift shop kind of things for the most part. I have been to the one outside of Caesar's in Las Vegas and it is a very pink place that a little girl would love. Even there in Vegas, I don't remember seeing any of this sort of thing, so it is not at all an unsavory place for a child. While I am not a particular fan of Tom Cruise or Katie---I don't think taking the child there after an evening out at a show or movie or whatever is any real error on their part. Link to Serendipity 3 below:

Thanks for the info. As I stated early on, I've never been to this place, and have no idea what type of place it is. Still, I think it is a bad choice on the store management's part to sell adult-oriented gifts in an otherwise "family" establishment.

A word of caution to anyone who might want to indulge in the famous frozen hot chocolate dessert at Serendipty 3. Check out the health department cards first. You couldn't pay me to eat there and yet everyday there are people lined up. Not to mention most of the people lined up are there because they saw it on You've Got Mail or on S-x (sorry - at work) in the City.

But the photo upthread shows several shelves of adult themed items. Blow it up and read some of the packages. They are all within 2 feet of the 5 year old.

Tacky and inappropriate IMO.

I want to know what sort of restaurant or cafe` stocks adult toys on their shelves in the entryway of their restaurant/cafe??

Not a place I would take my kid if I knew ahead of time that those items would be on such open display in an area I must wander through in order to reach my seat.

But I do not know Katie and Tom. We don't travel in the same circles so I can't say whether as a mother Katie expected to encounter those items or whether she was surprised to be in that position.

My thoughts kind of mirrored yours. What kind of "good mom" holds her daughter while perusing shelves of adult sex toys? And sure, Suri wouldn't be traumatized by holding a box of gummy penis' (peni? Is that plural?), but it's what else she's being exposed to in her life, if this is no big deal to mom. If this is no "big thing," then what else isn't a "big thing?" Watching *advertiser censored* together as a family, sharing a big bowl of popcorn?

All due respect, but, imho, leaping from a curious toddler snatching a candied item off a shelf to the family watching *advertiser censored* together with popcorn is a stretch that doesn't even make sense.

But it's not just a box of candy. That picture a few posts up shows they were standing in an adult section. There are adult items on shelves. There is an item less than a foot from the child's head that has the word c*ck on it in red writing. I have a HUGE problem with that.

Perhaps they should take all her farm books away too - Lord knows there might be *advertiser censored* lurking in those!

Perhaps they should take all her farm books away too - Lord knows there might be *advertiser censored* lurking in those!

If you think it's appropriate that's your opinion.
I find it very tacky and very inappropriate.

(above bbm)

Serendipity isn't a strip club and Hopeful already admitted she brought penis shaped straws into her toddler's environment! We can't keep all sketchy content out of our children's lives - sometimes it really is okay just to chuckle at the things kids do. It's okay not to judge every parent who has a child through them a curve ball as a bad parent.

If you think it's appropriate that's your opinion.
I find it very tacky and very inappropriate.

Honestly, K - I don't know what's funnier - a little girl grabbing penis gummies or the outrage that her innocent desire for more candy has spawned!

To me, appropriate doesn't even enter into the discussion.

All due respect, but, imho, leaping from a curious toddler snatching a candied item off a shelf to the family watching *advertiser censored* together with popcorn is a stretch that doesn't even make sense.

You probably missed my post (#46, page 2), that explained my reasons for the "stretch", so that it makes more sense. :)

Serendipity isn't a strip club and Hopeful already admitted she brought penis shaped straws into her toddler's environment! We can't keep all sketchy content out of our children's lives - sometimes it really is okay just to chuckle at the things kids do. It's okay not to judge every parent who has a child through them a curve ball as a bad parent.

I wasn't implying it was a strip club. I think you missed my point.

Honestly, K - I don't know what's funnier - a little girl grabbing penis gummies or the outrage that her innocent desire for more candy has spawned!

To me, appropriate doesn't even enter into the discussion.

See, to me, it's not all about the candy. It's about the store they were in with a 5 year old with sexually themed items on shelves right in front of her.
It's beyond inappropriate to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal
Back