KS - Adolfo & Deborah Gomez for child endangerment, Lawrence, 2012

The DA said the good Samaritan who called 911 deserves a lot of credit.

"The fact that a member of the public brought it to the attention of police is something we appreciate. It reminds people to always be vigilant. I think, in this modern age, you can go about your business not paying attention to what's going on around you, but it's critical (that you do)," McCabria said.
link

Deborah Gomez’s attorney says his client was in a difficult relationship with her husband and trying to separate.

“She was every much a victim as the children. She did everything she could,” attorney Angela Keck said.

But the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services says its agents have investigated the couple in the past for allegations of neglect.

“He was the disciplinarian. The mother more or less let the father do that, and we would hear them yelling at the kids – and the kids crying,” Ochoa said.

Ochoa said Adolfo Gomez did not work, and Deborah Gomez worked for a construction company during the summer – but otherwise depended on grants and help from charities.
link

A Douglas County judge Thursday scheduled an Aug. 10 preliminary hearing for two suburban Chicago parents whose children were found bound and blindfolded earlier this month outside the Walmart in west Lawrence.

Keck said Thursday she would have a mechanic examine the vehicle next week.
link

:waitasec:

Oh bless! If they all talk like you there, I'm on my way!
lol, that's very un-Lawrencian, actually, more of a southwestern-Kansas-near-the-Oklahoma-border "brogue." Lawrence is a university city and thus full of poseurs, though I do love it so. Eastern Kansas accents tend to be flat like a field of wheat after a hailstorm, and slightly nasal. My own is actually southeastern-Kansas-near-the-Oklahoma-border-but-informed-by-having-read-a-preponderance-of-British-literature-over-the-years - like a field of wheat after a hailstorm, but with a putting on of airs.

link

"The fact that a member of the public brought it to the attention of police is something we appreciate. It reminds people to always be vigilant. I think, in this modern age, you can go about your business not paying attention to what's going on around you, but it's critical (that you do)," McCabria said.

I can't imagine someone NOT calling!!

I can't imagine someone NOT calling!!

That's because you're an involved, compassionate person.

It's amazing how often people choose the "not my bizness" "it'd just be a big headache for me" approach to non reporting. :(

My mother in law is convinced the world is ending on July 24th. Glad to see she's in good company with other nutjobs. Jeeze.

That's because you're an involved, compassionate person.

It's amazing how often people choose the "not my bizness" "it'd just be a big headache for me" approach to non reporting. :(

I believe it but I just don't get it. How many cases have we read here where the neighbors come forward after it's too late? My town is so full of nosy people-if anyone here encountered a scene like this one at Walmart there would be multiple calls. People here LOVE to call CPS, sometimes that's good but not always.

Officers testify about finding bound, blindfolded children at Lawrence Walmart

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2012/aug/10/officers-testify-about-finding-bound-blindfolded-c/

A Lawrence police officer testified Friday morning that he saw an Illinois woman with a baseball bat, two rolls of duct tape and two tarps inside a shopping cart as two of her young children were found bound and blindfolded in June outside in a Lawrence Walmart’s parking lot.

Officer James Miller’s testimony at Friday’s preliminary hearing for two suburban Chicago parents who face child abuse and child endangerment charges provided a few more details on a case that has received national attention...........

Police used a Taser twice to subdue Gomez because the first time one of the prongs missed his body. Officers eventually pulled him from the vehicle. The three older children were scared and appeared to be praying with the 7-year-old girl inside the vehicle as police tried to subdue Adolfo Gomez.

The officers also testified about the conditions inside the Suburban, saying they thought they saw bottles of urine and a cooler full of urine in and around the vehicle along with food and water.

Lisa Wilcox, a police evidence technician, said most of the vehicle’s windows were covered with cloth and other items, so it was difficult to see inside. The vehicle smelled of a combination of a portable toilet and a Dumpster, she said, because of the amount of rotting food, trash and other items inside, including apparent bottles of urine and containers for soiled diapers.

More at link....

Wow. That sounds like they might've been about to kill and dispose of the two.

Glad they're both still in jail.

Yes, it sounds even more sinister than it originally seemed. How awful! And thank God they were found!!

Yes, it sounds even more sinister than it originally seemed. How awful! And thank God they were found!!

It seems you are right, these children were in danger:

Police: Bound kids said their family feared demons

http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...org>&news_id=19044266&src=most_popular_viewed

LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) — A child whose brother and sister were found bound and blindfolded in a Walmart parking lot in Kansas told an investigator that the family believed her younger siblings and their Illinois home was possessed by demons, a police officer testified Tuesday.............

Fowler testified that one of the older children told him the younger siblings had been tied up because the family believed that "demons had overtaken their bodies." He said the child told him that duct tape was placed over their eyes to protect them from demons.

The older daughter said they were going to attempt to cast the demons out the younger children but did not say how they planned to do that.

He said the daughter told him "if the demons were to die (the children) would die also."..........

Thank goodness for this brave woman that called the police:

The family members stopped in Lawrence and were in the Walmart parking lot when Linda Baranski, 64, called police...........

Baranski said Adolfo Gomez then caught her eye and appeared angry when he motioned for her to leave.

"He motioned in a kind of angry way as if to say get out of here," Baranski said. She said she then pulled into a parking spot and called the police.

More at link....

http://fox4kc.com/2012/08/14/parents-who-duct-taped-children-did-so-because-they-were-demon-possessed/?hpt=ju_bn5

LAWRENCE, Kan. — Two parents who admittedly duct taped their children inside an SUV in a Walmart parking lot said they did so because they were “demon possessed.”

A police officer testified in court that the couple’s 12-year-old daughter said her two youngest siblings, ages seven and five, were occasionally tied up with their faces and eyes covered with duct tape to keep the demons out.

Adolfo Gomez, 52, and Deborah M. Gomez, 43, were arrested June 13 in a Walmart parking lot in Lawrence, Kan., after a customer saw two children bound with tape. They have been charged with two counts of child abuse and five counts of child endangerment.

During Tuesday’s preliminary hearing, the court learned the couple had sold most of their belongings and left their suburban Chicago home because, “a darkness was coming over the house,” and the house was possessed by demons. Police said the family left Chicago and were headed to Arizona where their oldest son attends college. On their way to Arizona, the Gomez family broke down in Lawrence and were temporarily living in their SUV in the Walmart parking lot.

At the time of their arrest, police said they were forced to tase Adolfo Gomez three times. His wife, Deborah Gomez, was found shopping inside Walmart. Inside her cart police found a baseball bat, two rolls of duct tape and two tarps.

During the police interview, officers asked Adolfo if he was under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Adolfo, according to police, said he had not used acid in over 30 days and said he had not had any alcohol because his wife threatened to leave him if he did. He also told police he hadn’t slept for nine days.

During the preliminary hearing, the court also learned the couple was regular listeners of Steve Quayle, a conspiracy theorist, who, according to his website, believes the world is coming to an end. In the introduction to his 2003 book, Genetic Armageddon: Todays Technology — Tomorrows Monsters (sic), Quayle says, “It is safe to say that most those reading this book will live to see this terrifying future, and may know the sorrow of seeing loved ones herded into death camps, and of seeing mankind ground into powder under the metal and clawed feet of amoral supermen. This future will make the mass genocide’s of the 20th Century pale by comparison.

The foundation for fulfilling this nightmare are already in place, and as will be detailed in this book, fully entrenched in government and business. There is no “if” to whether or not these things will be put into motion. They are already unfolding and will continue to fruition if not stopped immediately. “

The Gomez’s youngest children, ages 15, 13, 12, 7 and 5, are now protective custody. They will be back in court on Thursday, August 16.

:what:

What's kind of weird about this - wait, there's a lot weird about this anyway; I should say, Another thing that's kind of weird about this demon thing is that the WalMart in question is in northwest Lawrence, and thus only about eight miles from a place called Stull, a small town whose cemetery is, for some reason, considered by goth types and general fans of the occult to be one of the several "gateways to hell," and is associated with various urban legends involving the Devil, demons, that sort of thing.

The old church by the cemetery was torn down in 2002 as it was a magnet for seances, possibly animal sacrifices, and, certainly, for vandals.

Anyway, Stull has an international reputation for those who believe in such tales o' the demonic.

I wonder if the parents knew this, and it influenced their actions in the Walmart lot. (Of course, they appear to have been batsh/t insane even before leaving Illinois.) Certainly quite the coincidence if they didn't know.

BONUS: YouTube link to Urge Overkill's song "Stull," referred to at the Wiki link above

30 months and a year of probation? Wow. Clearly the children are somewhat disposable in this case.

Picture if you will these two nutjobs pulling two strangers off of the street, duct taping them over their eyes and binding them. Picture these strangers being forced to urinate in bottles, and stay in a vehicle with rotting food and old soiled diapers.

What might the charges be and the sentences be I wonder? Why is it any less for a biological child?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2
Back