GUILTY KS - Evan Brewer, 3, Wichita, 6 July 2017

I checked Sedgwick County court Cases for today...nothing under Bodine at all. I wonder if a plea deal is in the works for him too? Will check again tomorrow....see everyone when WS is back up!

Thanks MsJosie! I don't have any updates either.... :thinking:

Maybe there IS a plea deal going on.... :dunno:

CanineEnviousAmericankestrel.gif

Up thread to see if there is any news on this "supposed" trial.... I have not found anything.

TIA!

CanineEnviousAmericankestrel.gif

Up thread to see if there is any news on this "supposed" trial.... I have not found anything.

TIA!

Still no updates. In chatting with a friend, they said maybe the last trial, Sesmas, who was just found guilty, kept the DA too busy to start Evans trial. The DA in the Glass case, said he was busy and could not respond in the Emily Glass case, so maybe it is the same. Three high profile cases hitting at the same time is too much to get things done right. Maybe we will hear something soon. IMO we will hear the Glass case first as there probably will be no trial, just releases of autopsy, suicide notes, etc. Evans case will be a trial which will take more time. Will keep watching got any information.

Thanks for keeping an eye out for this one MsJosie!

Today is June 26, 2018.....still no update on Evans case.

Just for anyone’s info....both Miranda Miller and Stephen Bodine are still in Sedgwick County Jail per the current Jail inmate Search

Ssc.sedgwickcounty.org Then go to current inmate search. Put LAST name first.

Last edited:
Can't get into Sedgwick County site....

Also in my notes I have trial starts sometime in October. Miller took a plea deal on 4/16/18 and will testify again Bodine.

Can't get into Sedgwick County site....

Also in my notes I have trial starts sometime in October. Miller took a plea deal on 4/16/18 and will testify again Bodine.
Thanks Niner I have not seen this.

Maybe someone can get a "date" for this - as I don't have one.

Sometime in October:
*Trial set to begin (@ 9am CT) - KS – Evan Brewer (3) (July 7, 2017; found encased in concrete Sept. 2, 2017) – only for *Stephen M. Bodine (40) (BF) indicted (12/5/17) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder & 1 count of felony child abuse & 1 count of aggravated child endangerment & 1 count of aggravated kidnapping. Indicted (11/7/17) with 1 count of aggravated assault & interference with parental custody & criminal damage to property (against Evan’s father); plead not guilty; $500K bond.
5/30/18: Trial was delayed from 5/20/18.
*Miranda R. Miller (36) “mom” charged (11/7/17) with aggravated interference with child custody; on 12/5/17 charged with 1st degree murder & felony child abuse; plead not guilty. $500K bond.
4/16/18 update Miller took plea deal – plead guilty to 2nd degree murder, aggravated kidnapping, abuse & aggravate endangerment of child. Will testify against Bodine. No sentencing date available.

Evan Brewer's father speaks out after learning new details in son's death

If this link works....May 21, 2018 was the date to go to trial. I cannot find anything on it.

I searched FB...all pages are no longer available.

I find nothing even in the docket for the next month on Stephen Bodine.

Could he have settled without going to court? Evan Brewer is the past mayor of Wichita. A very nice man. Maybe the family accepted a quiet deal....I do not know if that is possible. I will keep searching.

Ah Ha!

Friday, October 12th:
*Motion to Limine plus (@ 9am CT) - KS – Evan Brewer (3) (July 7, 2017; found encased in concrete Sept. 2, 2017) – only for *Stephen M. Bodine (40) (BF) indicted (12/5/17) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder & 1 count of felony child abuse & 1 count of aggravated child endangerment & 1 count of aggravated kidnapping. Indicted (11/7/17) with 1 count of aggravated assault & interference with parental custody & criminal damage to property (against Evan’s father); plead not guilty; $500K bond.
5/30/18: Trial was delayed from 5/20/18. Motions hearing 10/12.
*Miranda R. Miller (36) “mom” charged (11/7/17) with aggravated interference with child custody; on 12/5/17 charged with 1st degree murder & felony child abuse; plead not guilty. $500K bond.
4/16/18 update Miller took plea deal – plead guilty to 2nd degree murder, aggravated kidnapping, abuse & aggravate endangerment of child. Will testify against Bodine. No sentencing date available.

Last edited:
Here's what I got from the pages:

Motion in Limine.
Motion for admission of evidence pursuant to K.S.A. 60-455. State's Motion requesting jury to view evidence pursuant to K.S.A. 22-3418.
Motion for Jackson v. Denno hearing.
Motion to suppress all pre-miranda statements, ante mortem photos, to limit photo evidence.
State's 2nd motion to endorse.
Change of venue.

Johnston, who represents Evan’s biological father and Anthony’s grandparents, says she has been inundated with calls from Kansans frustrated by their dealings with the department. Most are grandparents or parents trying to intervene on behalf of children they believe have suffered abuse.

State officials eventually acknowledged that agency personnel made mistakes in handling the cases of both Evan and Anthony – even falsifying records in Evan’s case. As a result, changes were made, including requiring more training for employees and dismissing personnel in the Wichita office.

But frustration with the agency remains high among critics, including lawmakers. Johnston is among those calling for drastic changes. She says the current system, in which the department and law enforcement agencies both take part in investigations, creates a lack of accountability. She thinks a drastic fix is needed – namely, taking what she calls the “worthless” Department for Children and Families out of the equation.

“I think law enforcement needs to have the full legal responsibility for the investigation of child abuse,” she says. “We need one chef in the kitchen.”
Quick fixes unlikely for DCF’s efforts to protect Kansas children from deadly abuse | KLC Journal

According to the court site - page 5 here:

http://www.dc18.org/courtscheduling/cratty/crattytomorrow.pdf

Criminal Jury Trial is starting TODAY!!!

Monday, October 15th:
*Trial set to begin (@ 9am CT) - KS – Evan Brewer (3) (July 7, 2017; found encased in concrete Sept. 2, 2017) – *Stephen M. Bodine (40) (BF) indicted (12/5/17) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder & 1 count of felony child abuse & 1 count of aggravated child endangerment & 1 count of aggravated kidnapping. Indicted (11/7/17) with 1 count of aggravated assault & interference with parental custody & criminal damage to property (against Evan’s father); plead not guilty; $500K bond.

10/12/18 Update: Motion hearing 10/12: Motion in Limine. Motion for admission of evidence pursuant to K.S.A. 60-455. State's Moiton requesting jury to view evidence pursuant to K.S.A. 22-3418. Motion for Jackson v. Denno hearing. Motion to suppress all pre-miranda statements, ante mortem photos, to limit photo evidence. State's 2nd motion to endorse. Change of venue.

10/15/18 Update: Court site says trial starts 10/15.

Sorry I'm so late in getting it posted here - totally forgot to look up my every.day.court. list! :(

According to the court site - page 5 here:

http://www.dc18.org/courtscheduling/cratty/crattytomorrow.pdf

Criminal Jury Trial is starting TODAY!!!

Monday, October 15th:
*Trial set to begin (@ 9am CT) - KS – Evan Brewer (3) (July 7, 2017; found encased in concrete Sept. 2, 2017) – *Stephen M. Bodine (40) (BF) indicted (12/5/17) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder & 1 count of felony child abuse & 1 count of aggravated child endangerment & 1 count of aggravated kidnapping. Indicted (11/7/17) with 1 count of aggravated assault & interference with parental custody & criminal damage to property (against Evan’s father); plead not guilty; $500K bond.

10/12/18 Update: Motion hearing 10/12: Motion in Limine. Motion for admission of evidence pursuant to K.S.A. 60-455. State's Moiton requesting jury to view evidence pursuant to K.S.A. 22-3418. Motion for Jackson v. Denno hearing. Motion to suppress all pre-miranda statements, ante mortem photos, to limit photo evidence. State's 2nd motion to endorse. Change of venue.

10/15/18 Update: Court site says trial starts 10/15.

Sorry I'm so late in getting it posted here - totally forgot to look up my every.day.court. list! :(

Thanks Niner...now did the trial really start?! I am looking.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back