Identified! KS - Lake Shawnee, Human remains in submerged car, Jun'11 - Leonard Jordan

Discussion in 'Identified!' started by JDuMo, Jun 12, 2011.

1. JDuMo

JDuMo Member

http://www.ksnt.com/news/local/story/Human-remains-found-in-Lake-Shawnee/auhLxn8gl06Jylg5Y74jeA.cspx

Shawnee Heights fire, Shawnee County Park Police and Deputies with the Shawnee County Sheriff's Office are still on the scene investigating. Detectives along with a coroner are sifting through the car lifted out of the lake near the Shawnee Yacht club around 1 P.M. Deputies say the car appears to have been submerged for an extended amount of time, and contains the remains of at least one human adult.
    <modsnip article>

2. Loading...

3. JDuMo

JDuMo Member

Another article: http://cjonline.com/news/2011-06-11/body-found-car-pulled-lake-shawnee#.TfU3x1uU1XY

A vehicle containing the remains of at least one person was pulled Saturday from Lake Shawnee, where it appeared the car had been submerged for an extended period of time, authorities said.

Shawnee County sheriff's Lt. Phil Higdon said Shawnee County coroners had been able to verify at least one set of adult human remains as of 7:30 p.m. The person's gender couldn't immediately be determined, he said.

The case, Higdon said, was being investigated as "suspicious in nature."

Described as an older model Oldsmobile, the vehicle emerged from the murky depths of the lake about 1 p.m. Crews began going through the vehicle, Higdon said, and discovered what appeared to be human remains.

<Mod Snip article>

4. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

5. CarlK90245

CarlK90245 UID Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I see only two persons listed missing from Shawnee KS. One is a 5-year old child (Jackie Dene Hay).

The other is Tabitha Diane Brewer
    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/brewer_tabitha.html
    [​IMG]

She looks pretty doubtful though. I don't see, given the circumstances of her disappearance, how she would end up in a lake in a car with Wisconsin plates.

6. TripleA

TripleA New Member

7. TripleA

TripleA New Member

8. norest4thewicked

norest4thewicked Karma is a beautiful thing ~

So sad....I used to live there. I imagine that the vehicle held a person from Wisconsin. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds....

9. raeann

raeann Well-Known Member

I also used to live there just a few miles away, and had a co-worker who lived at this lake area, so I have been there many times. While the area is not difficult to reach from I 70 which is a major east/west traffic route, it is not an area that one would just happen upon either. As you can tell from the map there is a roadway that encircles the lake, but a limited number of access points to and from that road. Most of the homes were somewhat upscale back in the 80's when I lived in the area. Many new home sites were being built in the area at that time, so a large number of construction workers and delivery people would have been in and out of the area besides just residents and guests.

jmo

10. TripleA

TripleA New Member

I was actually considering that there may be stolen plates on the vehicle, so I didn't want to rule anyone out based on the plate alone.

11. norest4thewicked

Yes...anything is possible.

12. Slynderella

Slynderella New Member

possible Wisconson Plates.... here is the link.. just fyi...

http://cjonline.com/news/2011-06-11/body-found-car-pulled-lake-shawnee

A vehicle containing the remains of at least one person was pulled Saturday from Lake Shawnee, where it appeared the car had been submerged for an extended period of time, authorities said.

Shawnee County sheriff's Lt. Phil Higdon said Shawnee County coroners had been able to verify at least one set of adult human remains as of 7:30 p.m. The person's gender couldn't immediately be determined, he said.

<modsnip>

Described as an older model Oldsmobile, the vehicle emerged from the murky depths of the lake about 1 p.m. <modsnip>

"It's pretty difficult because there's so much mud and silt that's in the vehicle," Higdon said.

<modsnip>

The car had been discovered a few months ago by the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks. <modsnip>

The car was pulled from the lake near an area where a paved road leads from the Shawnee Yacht Club parking lot to the edge of the lake.

13. little726

little726 New Member

14. norest4thewicked

15. tatertot

tatertot Member

The article JDuMo linked to has a photo of the car, and although the vehicle is in bad shape and the view of it is obscured by the police tape, there's a section of the grille sitting below the bumper. A few Oldsmobile models that appear to have this type of grille are certain generations of the 98, the Cutlass Supreme and the Vista Cruiser.

16. Carolyn H.

Carolyn H. New Member

Although the paint is missing from portions of the car, from the news video, the car appears to be white or light gray or perhaps silver, 4 doors.

17. CarlK90245

I think the car is much older than that. It looks to me like a mid-70's model.

This 1975 Oldsmobile Cutlass S-442 is the only model that I can find with a remotely similar rear-side window.

[​IMG]

It may not be this exact model, but it is close. The wheel wells are shaped the same as well.

18. cocomod

cocomod Well-Known Member

Good sleuthing!

Looking through this list, the following do not fit for the following reasons:

19. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Car in lake last registered 27 years ago (Topeka Capital-Journal)
    more at Capital-Journal link above

20. CarlK90245

They described the car as a mid-70's Oldsmobile 98 Regency, possibly 1974.

Here's a 1975 Oldsmobile 98 Regency

[​IMG]

21. CarlK90245

This is a long-shot, but I'm wondering if this might be either Paula Godfrey or Lisa Stasi.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/godfrey_paula.html
    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/stasi_lisa.html

Paula and Lisa were last seen in the state of Kansas and dissappeared in 1984 and 1985, respectively. Their killer, John Edward Robinson, had connections to the Chicago area and gave Lisa's daughter to his brother in Chicago. Since Chicago is adjacent to the state of Wisconsin, that might be the Wisconsin connection. Perhaps he obtained the car there, and brought it down to Kansas City.

ETA: Perhaps it's both. There is supposedly another car that they have not yet pulled out of the lake.