Identified! KS - Lake Shawnee, Human remains in submerged car, Jun'11 - Leonard Jordan

Can someone tell me if Lake Shawnee freezes over in the winter?

I do not know how the Club is used not being from the Topeka area. It would not seem too unlikely a scenario, of someone not familiar with the area, being overserved at a wedding, class reunion or the likes. They get in their car and head off at a high rate of speed down what they think is a road back to the main road, but instead are knocked unconsious upon hitting the water or just can't escape in time once in the water. The red "X" marks where it sounds like they found the car. We have not been told why it is being treated as suspicious. It may be due to wounds apparent on the skeleton, bindings still in place on the remains, or just as a matter of protocol.

SYC_car.jpg

... We have not been told why it is being treated as suspicious. It may be due to wounds apparent on the skeleton, bindings still in place on the remains, or just as a matter of protocol.

... or it could be that the body was in a location other than the driver's seat

I think finding a body in a car submerged in water is pretty suspicious to begin with. not too many innocent explanations for that scenario. sure someone could have fallen asleep behind the wheel and entered the water but you could have murder, suicide, etc.

... or it could be that the body was in a location other than the driver's seat
However, depending on the force the car hit the water and if the person wasn't wearing a seat belt (or was aware enough to undo it but not get out of the car) I can see a combination of the impact and the eventual bloat of the body allowing the body to move around in the car.

I'm interested in why it's classified as suspicious.

However, depending on the force the car hit the water and if the person wasn't wearing a seat belt (or was aware enough to undo it but not get out of the car) I can see a combination of the impact and the eventual bloat of the body allowing the body to move around in the car.

I'm interested in why it's classified as suspicious.

I think it is safe to say that in the early to mid-80's most people did NOT wear seatbelts. with compulsory seatbelt laws I think compliance is now up to 90%. I don't have a link for that just something I think I've read over the years.

Body in Kansas lake identified as 84-year-old Milwaukee man (Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel)
The body found in a submerged car in a Kansas lake has been identified as a Milwaukee man who was 84 years old when he disappeared in 1984.

The Topeka Capital Journal reports that Leonard Jordan, 84, was identified by the Shawnee County Sheriff's Office during a news conference Tuesday.
(more at link above)

Officers ID Milwaukee man found in lake (Topeka Capital-Journal)
---
Maj. Phil Blume said the investigation showed Jordan was an independent man who visited relatives in Topeka and was an avid fisherman. Lake Shawnee was a site Jordan liked to fish.
---
“We knew Leonard Jordan as Uncle Leonard, and his disappearance has always been a mystery to us,” [Willie] Wilkins said. “Though we do not have many details as to the nature of his last days, finally being able to lay his remains to rest will give our family the closure we have been seeking. Our family is very grateful that this day has arrived.”
(more at link above)

Some things about the case are still a bit mysterious.....
---
The Shawnee county Sheriff's Office says Jordan was reported missing to the Topeka Police department in November, 1984, by his sister. But the search for him ended in March, 1986, when family members told his sister that Jordan was alive and well.
---
Authorities believe he died in late September of 1984, but the circumstances surrounding his death are unclear.

"Our understanding is he was here to meet some friends. He was doing some fishing beforehand and that's really the extent of the information we have," says Major Phil Bloom of the Shawnee County Sheriff's Office.

Jordan's cause of death will be classified as "undetermined."

Human remains recovered from Lake Shawnee identified (KTKA)

Some things about the case are still a bit mysterious.....

Human remains recovered from Lake Shawnee identified (KTKA)

from this article:

But the search for him ended in March, 1986, when family members told his sister that Jordan was alive and well.

I looked at the Social SEcurity Death Index and did not see any Leonard Jordans listed as being born in 1900 + - 5 years where the SS# was issued in Wisconsin.

Hmmm. I wonder what happened to all those Social Security checks?

hmmm..i wonder what family members told his sister he was alive?...also was he married?

I'm a little bit confused here.
Fox4 News (Kansas City) this morning stated there would be no charges filed because his killer has since died. I thought this information was a little brief, and they went into no further details. Certainly if this were the case, don't you think we will hear more?

I'm a little bit confused here.
Fox4 News (Kansas City) this morning stated there would be no charges filed because his killer has since died. I thought this information was a little brief, and they went into no further details. Certainly if this were the case, don't you think we will hear more?

Now I'm confused!

I found a link for Fox4 News out of Kansas City. Is this the link you're talking about?

http://www.fox4kc.com/news/wdaf-lak...n-missing-since-1984-20110622,0,3983900.story

There's nothing in this link that talks about someone killing Mr. Jordan.

I am happy that the remains were identified as quickly as they were.

From this article:
http://cjonline.com/news/2011-06-22/officers-id-milwaukee-man-found-lake

Jordan's body was found in the driver's seat, Blume said.

Donald Pojman, deputy district coroner, examined the bones and didn't find signs of trauma to the skeleton, Blume said.

"At this time, we have no reason to believe there is foul play," Blume said.

Jordan's remains have been turned over to a funeral home. He will be buried next to Mary Fizer, "with whom he was very close," Wilkins said.

"Uncle Leonard had planned for his funeral before his disappearance, therefore, all his funeral plans have long been in place," Wilkins said.

Blume said the second car is in deeper water and isn't as accessible as the Jordan car. A specific date hasn't been scheduled to recover that vehicle.

It sounds like this was a terrible accident. It is good for the family that they have some closure and are able to bury his remains.

Seems to me, this type of car would be driven by older folks or the "well -to-do."

Yes, it sure seems you called that one right.

My guess it was likely a tragic accident, a missed turn or even a heart attack or the like before the car went into the water. I'd guess the cancellation of the missing person's report was likely a misunderstanding between relatives who did not love all that close together.

Of course, my opinion would change if they found someone cashing his checks.

Now I'm confused!

I found a link for Fox4 News out of Kansas City. Is this the link you're talking about?

http://www.fox4kc.com/news/wdaf-lak...n-missing-since-1984-20110622,0,3983900.story

There's nothing in this link that talks about someone killing Mr. Jordan.

Mark Alford the news anchor stated on the 6:30AM broadcast of Fox4 News:

"Authorities say there won't be any charges filed in this case. The person responsible for the murder is now deceased. "

I can't find anything in print indicating what I heard the anchor say this morning. This is what he said though.

I don't understand how some family members could tell other family members that their uncle is alive & well when he obviously wasn't. I'm glad they can finally have a funeral & some closure but there's more to this and if I were the family who was told such an extreme lie, I'd be demanding an investigation.

I'm with Lady L. Maybe police/detectives there aren't that famliar with missing persons cases to do a full in depth investigation. I would check to see who's been cashing his ss checks all these years. Doensn't sound right to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back