Found Deceased KS - Marilane Carter, 36, Overland Park, enroute to Birmingham, 1 Aug, call from Memphis, 2 Aug 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for sharing @MemPat! If we weren’t in the midst of a pandemic I would say let’s meet for coffee and discuss further! I believe you mentioned you live in Germantown as well. What a small world.

I sure enjoy “working” with this fine WS group!

I’ve been thinking this morning, going back over recent articles. One thing I would like to know and would clear things up somewhat...if MC made “concerning statements” as they initially stated, what exactly were those statements?

Re: the families next steps - as laid out in the most recent FB post on “find Marilane” I think the crop duster idea is a good one. Or any thorough air search. You don’t realize how agricultural the area is until you travel in that arkansas/Mississippi delta area. And immediately outside of west Memphis, it’s all agricultural areas with the exception of to the immediate west - which would be the city of Memphis. I would think this would be another place where her car could be “in plain sight”.

A little detour here about the problems that could arise from a pastor's wife converting ...

I was raised Southern Baptist. My husband, Missionary Baptist. He's been a licensed MB preacher for 25 years or so. We "changed" denominations 6 years ago and are currently Church of God, in which he is ordained as a pastor.

The main issue that, IMO, would cause the greatest problem is, the church board, deacons and congregation would see her conversion as him being unable to keep his house in order, therefore unable to lead a church. There's a difference in your kids going off the rails - also known as PK Syndrome: Preacher's Kid Syndrome - and your wife converting to a faith practice that is quite different. That would constitute a "house divided" or unequally yoked. It would divide the pastor's attentions in a way that being the shepherd of a flock would not be given the full attention that was needed. Once the church board/deacons/elders met to discuss, there would be an offer of some sort, likely, made, whereas he could have a leave of absence to figure it out. Should they divorce, it would then likely be discussed as to whether the divorce is under biblical terms and that could decide whether or not he kept his pastor position at the church. Then you get into remarriage and that's where it could get hairy, but that's another conversation for another day.
I haven't done any research into what flavor their church is or what their governing regulations are. I have no idea if they're a fringe/charismatic/other flavor or run-of-the-mill.

At any rate, had anyone in the church found out, that would certainly be cause for the family to circle the wagons and present a particular narrative as to what happened. I'm leaning toward no one knowing but getting close to knowing, since there haven't been any community interviews or articles with one of the church members or someone in the "know" having spoken publicly … which I find VERY strange. There's always that one person who speaks to the media, loud and clear.

this is all very interesting insight. Thanks so much for sharing!

i am going to throw out a theory, so it's pure speculation from my brainstorming on this case. moo.

what if marilane's "mental illness" had everything to do with her converting to catholicism, and her husband and family both agreed to have her committed. (is that possible to do to a family member at her age?) AC is the one who booked the plane ticket home for her, and her family was going to pick her up and get her to the hospital he and her family had chosen. he insisted she go to an out- of -town facility due to his job and any shame that would bring on their family, and her family was on board with this idea. (could also explain all the phone calls searching for mental health facilities- it could have been adam calling.) marilane was tired of the pressure and looking for a way out, but felt ganged up on by her husband + family. so when AC and the kids went to bed, she ran. she pulled over at the hotel to get her bearings and rest for a few, and try to decide what to do. but she realized AC was tracking her card, and decided to keep on her journey, and didn't want him to find her. she had a suitcase in the car bc this was planned. (could also explain all the missing time, if she did NOT want to get closer to her family, and was on the road trying to figure out where to go. this could also explain why she hung up on her mom and AC, and got rid of her phone. this could also explain the silence from family, and the unsettling plea from AC, and the feeling he's not telling the whole truth.)

only thing i come to after all of that is where is she now? where is her car? (it WOULD mean she's hopefully alive though!)

@swedeheart I've also absolutely believed the family/husband could easily believe her convert and interest in Catholicism would be indicative (in their interpretation) of a “mental illness”.

Well....I am from the South(Alabama), have lived in the South my entire life ( in 4 different Southern states), and that's really not true in most areas down here. It may have been true 40-50 years ago, and maybe still is in evangelical sects, but most Southern Baptists just don't care that much, especially those under 50. I know lots of Catholics ( my SIL for one, my nieces and nephews also) who married Baptists, Methodists, Jews and even a few Hindus mixed in. It just isn't an issue with most people.

Small southern town here as well and I totally agree with your post! But apparently no one else wants to hear it! Lol, oh well.

Last edited:
Appears as if the RC church from Leawood, Ky St Michaels has communicated with a reporter in regards to the RCIA process. They confirm completion of RCIA and being baptized into full Communion means the person has joined the Catholic Church.

They go onto say they won’t give out private information on whether or not someone is a parishioner of the church...

One more thought this mid-day...why hasn’t their been an organized volunteer search in the area she was last seen on land? I had mentioned yesterday the large SBC presence here locally in Memphis. You would think the members of that church (the pastor is president of the SBC) would want to contribute in finding a SBC pastor’s wife. This is just one group I could potentially see as contributors to the cause. I wish the family would speak to the press to garner more attention! MOO!

The search by LE was weeks ago now performed on the ground via 4 wheeler. The area below the bridge is large and extends all the way from the MS river to the levee system of West Memphis. JMO!

A little detour here about the problems that could arise from a pastor's wife converting ...

I was raised Southern Baptist. My husband, Missionary Baptist. He's been a licensed MB preacher for 25 years or so. We "changed" denominations 6 years ago and are currently Church of God, in which he is ordained as a pastor.

The main issue that, IMO, would cause the greatest problem is, the church board, deacons and congregation would see her conversion as him being unable to keep his house in order, therefore unable to lead a church. There's a difference in your kids going off the rails - also known as PK Syndrome: Preacher's Kid Syndrome - and your wife converting to a faith practice that is quite different. That would constitute a "house divided" or unequally yoked. It would divide the pastor's attentions in a way that being the shepherd of a flock would not be given the full attention that was needed. Once the church board/deacons/elders met to discuss, there would be an offer of some sort, likely, made, whereas he could have a leave of absence to figure it out. Should they divorce, it would then likely be discussed as to whether the divorce is under biblical terms and that could decide whether or not he kept his pastor position at the church. Then you get into remarriage and that's where it could get hairy, but that's another conversation for another day.
I haven't done any research into what flavor their church is or what their governing regulations are. I have no idea if they're a fringe/charismatic/other flavor or run-of-the-mill.

At any rate, had anyone in the church found out, that would certainly be cause for the family to circle the wagons and present a particular narrative as to what happened. I'm leaning toward no one knowing but getting close to knowing, since there haven't been any community interviews or articles with one of the church members or someone in the "know" having spoken publicly … which I find VERY strange. There's always that one person who speaks to the media, loud and clear.

Interesting point about the "unequal yoking". A hypothetical thought...maybe to prevent a potential problem within the church one would seek an outside position with the Southern Baptist Association or be offered a position. Maybe this would be a reason to keep the conversion on the down low. JMO

i am going to throw out a theory, so it's pure speculation from my brainstorming on this case. moo.

what if marilane's "mental illness" had everything to do with her converting to catholicism, and her husband and family both agreed to have her committed. (is that possible to do to a family member at her age?) AC is the one who booked the plane ticket home for her, and her family was going to pick her up and get her to the hospital he and her family had chosen. he insisted she go to an out- of -town facility due to his job and any shame that would bring on their family, and her family was on board with this idea. (could also explain all the phone calls searching for mental health facilities- it could have been adam calling.) marilane was tired of the pressure and looking for a way out, but felt ganged up on by her husband + family. so when AC and the kids went to bed, she ran. she pulled over at the hotel to get her bearings and rest for a few, and try to decide what to do. but she realized AC was tracking her card, and decided to keep on her journey, and didn't want him to find her. she had a suitcase in the car bc this was planned. (could also explain all the missing time, if she did NOT want to get closer to her family, and was on the road trying to figure out where to go. this could also explain why she hung up on her mom and AC, and got rid of her phone. this could also explain the silence from family, and the unsettling plea from AC, and the feeling he's not telling the whole truth.)

only thing i come to after all of that is where is she now? where is her car? (it WOULD mean she's hopefully alive though!)
snipped:
Carter's car, a gray 2011 GMC Acadia, is also missing, but the detective said he's been told it would be difficult to get a vehicle into the river and, if one did, they believe there would be definite signs of one going in.

Carter's mother said that when she talked to her, part-way through the trip, she described being disoriented and kept getting lost during her trip to Alabama.

"Nobody has figured out exactly why she wanted to leave that night and what got into her mind on wanting to go," Larsen said. "I've spoken with the family -- husband, mother, brother-in-law -- and I think they all knew that she wanted to seek mental help, but I don't think they knew to the extent to which she was in crisis."
Detective gives update on Marilane Carter's disappearance: Brief hotel stop was 'very strange'

Investigators know she left Overland Park, a suburb of Kansas City, the night of Aug. 1, and stopped at a hotel in West Plains, Mo., where she stayed for two hours and 20 minutes.
---
----------
interesting they say it could be difficult to get into the river with her vehicle but where could it be?
Also, Mom says she was disoriented - what was happening to cause this?
hmmm
JMO

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I just re-watched the video of her leaving the hotel again. That white car is very odd and appears to quickly jump out and wave their arms in the air as to get her attention. What would cause the driver of the white car to get out of their vehicle in the middle of a turn lane and wave down a passing car? This is really puzzling to me.

I am only halfway through this thread so apologies if this has been cleared up but I feel the need to add my .02

Many posters here are saying it’s “impossible” and “unheard of” that a Baptist pastor’s wife would convert to Roman Catholicism.

Well, I am the daughter of a Pentecostal minister and converted to Roman Catholicism—not for a spouse, but just because of a change in my beliefs.

I know many, many evangelical converts to Catholicism that include pastors’ and missionaries’ kids. It’s neither impossible nor unheard of. It’s much more likely that she did convert than it is likely that someone else has the same name as her in a small town, or that it was a typo (??) that happened to be her name. <modsnip>

ETA: I should also add that Kansas City and Overland Park are the American epicenters of “traditional Catholicism” and it would not surprise me one bit if she had a friend or acquaintance who introduced her to their beliefs.

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
I am only halfway through this thread so apologies if this has been cleared up but I feel the need to add my .02

Many posters here are saying it’s “impossible” and “unheard of” that a Baptist pastor’s wife would convert to Roman Catholicism.

Well, I am the daughter of a Pentecostal minister and converted to Roman Catholicism—not for a spouse, but just because of a change in my beliefs.

I know many, many evangelical converts to Catholicism that include pastors’ and missionaries’ kids. It’s neither impossible nor unheard of. It’s much more likely that she did convert than it is likely that someone else has the same name as her in a small town, or that it was a typo (??) that happened to be her name. <modsnip>

ETA: I should also add that Kansas City and Overland Park are the American epicenters of “traditional Catholicism” and it would not surprise me one bit if she had a friend or acquaintance who introduced her to their beliefs.

JMO

With all due respect, I don't believe anyone here said it's impossible or unheard of, for the wife of a Baptist pastor to convert to Roman Catholicism. Speaking for myself only, I have said that it's extraordinarily rare, and that is based entirely on my own subjective experience. <modsnip: quoted post was modsnipped>

We all bring different experiences to the forum and to the cases we discuss, and that's a very good thing.

jmo

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I just re-watched the video of her leaving the hotel again. That white car is very odd and appears to quickly jump out and wave their arms in the air as to get her attention. What would cause the driver of the white car to get out of their vehicle in the middle of a turn lane and wave down a passing car? This is really puzzling to me.

If you have the time - relook at this. I wanted to say someone brought this up originally as well. About 10 seconds remaining into the video a car leaves the route which would take it directly in front of and past Marilanes car. Instead it pulls off that road, takes a quick turn behind her and then along side her in the turning lane.

it is odd. Maybe she was being followed. Maybe a reason as to why she had to leave the hotel abruptly.

Any others thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member