KY KY - Andrea Knabel, 36, mother of two, Audubon Park, Louisville, 13 Aug 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
They could be dividing up the group.. some searching new cut and palatka.. the spots where she was possibly seen and then also iroquois park.
I've only been to iroquois a handful of times and didn't come close to going thru it all. I've always been told to not go there alone.

They could, but she specifically stated for volunteers to dress for searching in woods. Palatka and new cut both border Iroquois, and have roads off of them that go into the park.

They mentioned bringing flash lights and needing to go early. That makes me wonder if maybe they think she’s sleeping out there and wanting to get into the area before she has a chance to wake up.

Eh, all of Louisville is known for drugs now lol. It’s gotten bad. It does sound like they’re actually searching the park area and not just new cut rd
That makes me so sad. Not just about Louisville, but for how destructive and widespread drugs are. Makes me so sad.

Sorry to go OT....but what a waste (literally) that we have so many addicts in our country. Such suffering that we've basically just watch happen.

Again, this is not specifically about the case.

;(

jmo

I was able to drive the neighborhood yesterday evening around 6PM, and drove specifically down Fincastle Rd. three times. I was actually off on where I thought this subdivision was when I looked on a map, I definitely consider this area Camp Taylor and I lived in this exact neighborhood (I was on the opposite side but still only a 1 minute drive from Fincastle Rd.) about 7 years ago. I also lived right near Iroquois Park for two years just a few years ago and frequented the park the entire time I lived within walking distance.

This is all JMO and local experience and knowledge:
Fincastle Rd. is a unique street for the neighborhood, most of the residences in Camp Taylor are single family without shared walls. Fincastle seems to be apartments or condos that are rented, but some may be personally owned. There were several families and kids/teens out walking and they seemed to be walking to places rather than just hanging out (like the park or convenient store). The vehicles were pretty standard, some expensive and newer/some damaged and older, but nothing extreme one way or the other.

Going towards Poplar Level, which is the way Andrea was supposedly walking, there is a sidewalk and street lights only on the left side. The street lights were spread out so that there would be patches of darkness between them when walking. The residences are close to the street though, so any exterior house lights would provide some mild light to the sidewalk as well. The street is entirely street-parking from what I could see and vehicles lined both sides up and down almost entirely.

I did not notice any shady or sketchy characters, or anyone who seemed to be loitering, on drugs, or looking for drugs. It seemed like a pretty nice/active street.

When I lived in Camp Taylor I felt perfectly safe walking around the area at night (reminder it was 7-8 years ago). One example would be when my cat got out and I would walk around after work and at night calling for him and looking for him. I felt comfortable doing this on my own and some neighbors would always offer to keep an eye out. One person called out to me aggressively from their window about "why are you on my property," but when I told them my cat was lost they offered to help as well. My neighbors were always looking out and would bring my packages in so they didn't get stolen. I really enjoyed that area.

Poplar Level Rd. is a different story somewhat. I would not have wanted to walk on Poplar Level at night. Not even that it's a dangerous area for crime or violence at all, but that it's a somewhat windy road with a high speed limit and several bars, and Louisville IMO has a lot of car accidents involving pedestrians. And as I said before, it is a main enough road that any and all types of characters could be driving down it.

As far as the Iroquois Park area that maybe being searched today, the residents in that area are generally a slightly lower income and the crime is slightly higher. When I lived over there I did not always feel safe walking around at night. I only went to the park after dark if I had my 80lb pit bull with me LOL. I would not feel comfortable jogging the loop even with another girl friend or two. Crime doesn't actually happen often in the park or on the loop anymore, in fact it's been years since I have heard of any, but you can look at the situation and know that it is not a smart idea to go in there alone.

The loop has street lights, but outside of the walkway (which also has a driving road adjoining it for much of the loop), it is pure pitch black wooded area. The park is vast and the houses are far away when you are on the walking paths and the loop of the park.

I have walked the loop so many times in daylight and it is always crowded, busy, and a beautiful walk. I have also gone off-trail to mushroom hunt. I have never seen any evidence of homeless persons or camps within the park. But it is huge and I have not covered anywhere near the whole area. A person could totally find space to camp out in there, but between the bugs, the heat, and the quiet darkness, I can't imagine Andrea ever doing it.

As a side note it reached 100 degrees in Louisville yesterday and it is projected to hit 98 degrees today. I hope the searches started early to avoid the mid-day heat and I hope wherever Andrea is that she is okay and safe.

I was able to drive the neighborhood yesterday evening around 6PM, and drove specifically down Fincastle Rd. three times. I was actually off on where I thought this subdivision was when I looked on a map, I definitely consider this area Camp Taylor and I lived in this exact neighborhood (I was on the opposite side but still only a 1 minute drive from Fincastle Rd.) about 7 years ago. I also lived right near Iroquois Park for two years just a few years ago and frequented the park the entire time I lived within walking distance.

This is all JMO and local experience and knowledge:
Fincastle Rd. is a unique street for the neighborhood, most of the residences in Camp Taylor are single family without shared walls. Fincastle seems to be apartments or condos that are rented, but some may be personally owned. There were several families and kids/teens out walking and they seemed to be walking to places rather than just hanging out (like the park or convenient store). The vehicles were pretty standard, some expensive and newer/some damaged and older, but nothing extreme one way or the other.

Going towards Poplar Level, which is the way Andrea was supposedly walking, there is a sidewalk and street lights only on the left side. The street lights were spread out so that there would be patches of darkness between them when walking. The residences are close to the street though, so any exterior house lights would provide some mild light to the sidewalk as well. The street is entirely street-parking from what I could see and vehicles lined both sides up and down almost entirely.

I did not notice any shady or sketchy characters, or anyone who seemed to be loitering, on drugs, or looking for drugs. It seemed like a pretty nice/active street.

When I lived in Camp Taylor I felt perfectly safe walking around the area at night (reminder it was 7-8 years ago). One example would be when my cat got out and I would walk around after work and at night calling for him and looking for him. I felt comfortable doing this on my own and some neighbors would always offer to keep an eye out. One person called out to me aggressively from their window about "why are you on my property," but when I told them my cat was lost they offered to help as well. My neighbors were always looking out and would bring my packages in so they didn't get stolen. I really enjoyed that area.

Poplar Level Rd. is a different story somewhat. I would not have wanted to walk on Poplar Level at night. Not even that it's a dangerous area for crime or violence at all, but that it's a somewhat windy road with a high speed limit and several bars, and Louisville IMO has a lot of car accidents involving pedestrians. And as I said before, it is a main enough road that any and all types of characters could be driving down it.

As far as the Iroquois Park area that maybe being searched today, the residents in that area are generally a slightly lower income and the crime is slightly higher. When I lived over there I did not always feel safe walking around at night. I only went to the park after dark if I had my 80lb pit bull with me LOL. I would not feel comfortable jogging the loop even with another girl friend or two. Crime doesn't actually happen often in the park or on the loop anymore, in fact it's been years since I have heard of any, but you can look at the situation and know that it is not a smart idea to go in there alone.

The loop has street lights, but outside of the walkway (which also has a driving road adjoining it for much of the loop), it is pure pitch black wooded area. The park is vast and the houses are far away when you are on the walking paths and the loop of the park.

I have walked the loop so many times in daylight and it is always crowded, busy, and a beautiful walk. I have also gone off-trail to mushroom hunt. I have never seen any evidence of homeless persons or camps within the park. But it is huge and I have not covered anywhere near the whole area. A person could totally find space to camp out in there, but between the bugs, the heat, and the quiet darkness, I can't imagine Andrea ever doing it.

As a side note it reached 100 degrees in Louisville yesterday and it is projected to hit 98 degrees today. I hope the searches started early to avoid the mid-day heat and I hope wherever Andrea is that she is okay and safe.
Awesome local info. Thank you!

Where are you, Andrea?!

I took a lot of pictures (like 60) so apologies in advance.
I drove Redwood to Belmar and turned left onto Fincastle. I then followed Fincastle towards Poplar Level. I turned right onto Poplar Level and headed back towards the 264/65 Interstate area.

The pictures start just after turning on to Fincastle and follow that route.

Attachments

• IMG_1789.JPG
    IMG_1789.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1790.JPG
    IMG_1790.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1791.JPG
    IMG_1791.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1792.JPG
    IMG_1792.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1793.JPG
    IMG_1793.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1794.JPG
    IMG_1794.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1795.JPG
    IMG_1795.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1796.JPG
    IMG_1796.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1797.JPG
    IMG_1797.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1798.JPG
    IMG_1798.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 45
Pictures continue; these 10 are along Fincastle

Attachments

• IMG_1799.JPG
    IMG_1799.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1800.JPG
    IMG_1800.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1801.JPG
    IMG_1801.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1802.JPG
    IMG_1802.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1803.JPG
    IMG_1803.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1804.JPG
    IMG_1804.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1805.JPG
    IMG_1805.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1806.JPG
    IMG_1806.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1807.JPG
    IMG_1807.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1808.JPG
    IMG_1808.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 24
These 10 are the last part of Fincastle, ending with the Fire Station on the right.

Attachments

• IMG_1809.JPG
    IMG_1809.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1810.JPG
    IMG_1810.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1811.JPG
    IMG_1811.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1812.JPG
    IMG_1812.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1813.JPG
    IMG_1813.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1814.JPG
    IMG_1814.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1815.JPG
    IMG_1815.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1816.JPG
    IMG_1816.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1817.JPG
    IMG_1817.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1818.JPG
    IMG_1818.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 21
These 10 were around Fincastle and Poplar. The first few show the area before turning off of Fincastle, then I turned right and they continue showing Poplar Level heading towards the interstate.

Attachments

• IMG_1819.JPG
    IMG_1819.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1820.JPG
    IMG_1820.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1821.JPG
    IMG_1821.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1822.JPG
    IMG_1822.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1823.JPG
    IMG_1823.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1824.JPG
    IMG_1824.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1825.JPG
    IMG_1825.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1826.JPG
    IMG_1826.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1827.JPG
    IMG_1827.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1828.JPG
    IMG_1828.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 19
This is on the way to the Interstate from Poplar Level continuing the same route from above. I stopped taking pictures at the Pastoral Center on this lap, but I looped back around to try and get pictures showing the flyers on Poplar Level. Those will follow.

Attachments

• IMG_1829.JPG
    IMG_1829.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1832.JPG
    IMG_1832.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1833.JPG
    IMG_1833.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1834.JPG
    IMG_1834.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 22
This is on my second lap, starting at Poplar Level and Belmar, again heading towards the interstate. I noticed a few flyers on the poles on the right hand side.

Attachments

• IMG_1837.JPG
    IMG_1837.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1839.JPG
    IMG_1839.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1840.JPG
    IMG_1840.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1841.JPG
    IMG_1841.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1842.JPG
    IMG_1842.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1843.JPG
    IMG_1843.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1844.JPG
    IMG_1844.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1845.JPG
    IMG_1845.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1846.JPG
    IMG_1846.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1847.JPG
    IMG_1847.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 10
These continue down Poplar to the interstate entrance. Flyers may be visible.

This is the last of the photos I took yesterday. I will try to make it to the area after sunset at some point this week to see the area at night.

Attachments

• IMG_1848.JPG
    IMG_1848.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1849.JPG
    IMG_1849.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1850.JPG
    IMG_1850.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1851.JPG
    IMG_1851.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1852.JPG
    IMG_1852.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1853.JPG
    IMG_1853.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1854.JPG
    IMG_1854.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 22
@Hraefn - liking wasn't enough. Thank you oodles for your time and your posts and your local insight - so very helpful! I'm sure we will all be waiting to hear how to search goes. May there be good news as a result, and may everyone stay safe, physically and emotionally - searching and all that it entails can be really difficult for some.

I didn't know that! I also like the book - now I have to re-read it to catch what I missed.

:)

Most of it is in the imagery and not outright named like Camp Taylor. There are probably a lot of articles about it online though if you want to check it out. I remember reading that he frequented the seelbach during his stay in Louisville and that was used for Tom and Daisy’s wedding and there is some speculation that Cherokee triangle is used for Daisy’s childhood home. Those are the two bigger ones I can think of off the top of my head. Sorry, completely off topic!

A "thank you" post for the volunteers and those who donated snacks and drinks was posted on the Finding Andrea facebook page. A couple of hours later there was a post that many Louisville locals do not know about this case, and requesting people to invite their friends to the page.

A "thank you" post for the volunteers and those who donated snacks and drinks was posted on the Finding Andrea facebook page. A couple of hours later there was a post that many Louisville locals do not know about this case, and requesting people to invite their friends to the page.

The news coverage of Andrea has definitely died down around here.
People are also taking down her flyers around town. Sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasonleblanc061975@gmail.