Still Missing KY - Crystal Rogers, 35, Bluegrass Parkway, 3 July 2015 #4 *arrest in 2023*

I remember that, too. And it seems that they were never able to get their hands on that vehicle because it had been destroyed, or they just could never locate it. (IMO -- I may be totally wrong about this!)
The truck they used for the murder was given to Billy Wagners niece. Jake confessed to this and told investigators where to find it. But no, investigators did not find it themselves.

The truck they used for the murder was given to Billy Wagners niece. Jake confessed to this and told investigators where to find it. But no, investigators did not find it themselves.
Oh, I was talking about Brooks Houck's grandmother's vehicle (some sort of a white sedan, if I recall correctly).

Updates from WHAS11

Live Updates​

1:50 p.m.
Judge has asked for time to read documents. Will discuss the written order on Houck's bond later. Court has been dismissed.
WHAS11 will provide more information once that becomes available.

1:46 p.m.
Sherry Ballard's eyes filled with tears as they mentioned Tommy Ballard, her husband.
View attachment 451665
1:41 p.m.
The judge said he is very concerned for the safety of the witnesses.
He said his office is also investigating the murder of Tommy Ballard which they believe will be linked.
Young said they purchased a gun from Nick Houck and are currently testing it. They believe that was the weapon used to kill Tommy Ballard, Crystal's father who was mysteriously murdered a year after her disappearance.

1:37 p.m.
Prosecutor Shane Young said Houck does have a loving, supportive family. "I completely agree, they've been supportive."
Grand jury proceedings are secret. In this matter, Young said Houck's sister, brother, mother, brother-in-law, and mother's boyfriend secretly brought in recorders and recorded the grand jury.
"I've been practicing for 28 years and have never heard of that!" he said.
Young is alleging Houck's family violated Kentucky law when they illegally recorded grand jury proceedings.
Young said Brooks Houck showed his sister how to run the same recorder in July 2015, the same month Crystal Rogers was murdered. He said they wanted to get their story straight.

1:23 p.m.
Brooks Houck is appearing in court today from the Hardin County Detention Center.

1:20 p.m.
Media is watching the arraignment from the jury box.

1:17 p.m.
Crystal's mom and daughter sit stoic in the front row as they listen to Houck's attorney ask for a reduced bond.

1:10 p.m.
Now the court is hearing the defense's motion to reduce bond. Butler wants the $10 million cash bond reduced to $500,000. He said in his 28 years of practice, he has never heard of a bond even close to that.
Houck's constitutional rights are being violated with this bond, Butler said.

1:09 p.m.
The next court date scheduled for Feb. 8, 2024, at 1 p.m. for pre-trial.
1:08 p.m.
Pre-trial is set for February to see if discovery is complete and they are ready for the actual trial.
Shan Young said he would be ready for a trial in the summer of 2024, but Defense attorney Brian Butler said "there is no way Mr. Houck can get a fair trial in 2024."
Butler said he plans to make a motion to try this case in another county.
1:02 p.m.
Houck has pleaded not guilty to all charges.
Special Prosecutor Shane Young said the discovery is going to be "over a terabyte" of evidence. Prosecutors estimate there is thousands of documents of evidence in this case.

View attachment 451662

View attachment 451660

View attachment 451659
Is the prosecution alleging that virtually every living member of Houck's family secretly and illegally recorded the GJ proceedings?! If so, they might not want to pool funds to pony up his bail. They might need it for themselves!

Also, am I reading it correctly that someone from the state was able to purchase a gun from Nick Houck, the gun believed used in the murder of TB?? TIA

This is nearly as bad the Wagner family in Ohio!!

Last edited:
And what a coward. A change of venue? So this grown man needs a change of venue because of how much publicity this case had gotten.. how about Crystals mom living in that town after not only her daughter was killed, but her husband.. she didn't run and hide. She has stood strong and stayed there where not only Brooks, but his entire family can be in the grocery store or any other place Sheri might go. She didn't leave when she of all people had every reason to be afraid and leave the area after what has happened.. now HE wants to move the trial out of the area.. boy I swear.. I don't have words. I'll just say we stand with you Ms. Sherry Ballard. What was done in the dark is going to be brought to light no matter where the trial is located.
Amen and well said!

Also, am I reading it correctly that someone from the state was able to purchase a gun from Houck, the gun believed used in the murder of TB?? TIA

RSBM

That's what it sounds like... the state purchased the gun from Nick Houck who was using a fake name. Interesting they were able to determine the seller was actually NH.

'Still dependent on testing to be certain though. But, it was rather fun watching the prosecution throw all this out there.

RSBM

That's what it sounds like... the state purchased the gun from Nick Houck who was using a fake name. Interesting they were able to determine the seller was actually NH.

'Still dependent on testing to be certain though. But, it was rather fun watching the prosecution throw all this out there.
You're right! That sure is jaw-dropping!! I'm so glad he did (pending ballistics), but what in the Sam Hill would possess NH to be so stupid as to sell the murder weapon? (Hope I didn't offend, but stupid is the best I could come up with at the moment.)

You're right! That sure is jaw-dropping!! I'm so glad he did (pending ballistics), but what in the Sam Hill would possess NH to be so stupid as to sell the murder weapon? (Hope I didn't offend, but stupid is the best I could come up with at the moment.)

It's entirely possible he is that stupid (imo)... they've been almost untouchable for 8 years.

Brooks Houck's family is accused of secretly recording grand jury proceedings. Here's why they won't be charged for it.

Geoghegan said he subpoenaed the Houck family within two weeks of Rogers' disappearance back in 2015 and interviewed members of the Houck family. He said, at the time, there was no reason to believe they had recorded the grand jury proceedings. Geoghegan said when the FBI searched Houck's mother Rosemary's farm years later, it found the recordings in a jacket in a closet.

But there are still no charges, and there won't be, because it's been too long and the statute of limitations has passed, according to Nelson County Commonwealth's Attorney Terry Geoghegan.

Geoghegan said if the recordings were discovered in 2015, the Houcks could have been charged with contempt of court. It's a misdemeanor with a fine of up to $1,000 and a year in jail, but misdemeanors can only be prosecuted within one year of the crime, so Geoghegan said too much time has passed to charge anyone now.

He said investigators had already ordered testing on the bullets and were focused on the murder and possible kidnapping of Rogers, so they decided not to pursue the misdemeanor and there were statute of limitations concerns too.

Last edited:
Is the prosecution alleging that virtually every living member of Houck's family secretly and illegally recorded the GJ proceedings?! If so, they might not want to pool funds to pony up his bail. They might need it for themselves!

Also, am I reading it correctly that someone from the state was able to purchase a gun from Nick Houck, the gun believed used in the murder of TB?? TIA

This is nearly as bad the Wagner family in Ohio!!
Yes, someone posed undercover IIRC and bought the gun which they believe killed Crystal's father. I'm so happy to see BH arrested and I expect to see some other H's possibly arrested as well.

The grandmother took the 5th at the GJ trial.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74
Back