KY KY - Falmouth, WhtHispMale 25-45, UP81, Hanged, Prior Skull Reconstruction, Disfigured Face, Rosary Beads, Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Scapular, Jul’96

MadMcGoo

Staff member
Reaction score
Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP81
Male, Caucasian/Hispanic
2A641F95-7F07-4295-B106-B58A9F0D46D7.jpeg645BE56B-ADB6-4924-ACE4-57D76C8AE354.jpeg
B02D276B-7D34-444C-A678-2DA10539CB99.jpeg3D430BC1-DD34-4967-8ED6-0BB986898E9F.jpeg
Date of Discovery: July 1, 1996
Location of Discovery: Falmouth, Pendleton County, Kentucky
Estimated PMI: Months
Remains: Mummified

Estimated Age: 25-45 years old
Height: 5'6 to 5'9
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Black, fine, wavy hair, approx 3 inches long; Mustache, goatee with sparse beard at angle of mandible.
Eye Color: Unknown

Distinguishing Marks/Features
He sustained trauma to his face from 3 months - 2 years prior to his death. His face had been surgically reconstructed with plates and screws through the skull (Synthes 2.0 plates with screws to repair comminuted LeFort 3 fracture). Because of the surgery, it is believed he had facial scars and possibly some disfigurement. He also might have had a crooked nose.

Jewelry
Rosary of black beads, clear beads and white plastic medallion; necklace of black-patched woven fabric. Necklace tied in a simple knot, bearing stylized renditions of heraldry, scapular
. He could have been a Roman Catholic.

Circumstances of Discovery
The victim was located in rural Falmouth, Kentucky on July 1, 1996. A teenager walking his dog found the nude body hanging by the neck, from a woven wire over a tree, over a dry creekbed, in a heavily wooded area.

Dentals: Available; No previous dental work, missing a front left tooth
Fingerprints: Available (AFIS)
DNA: Available (FBI NMPDD)

Investigating Agencies
-Kentucky State Police in Dry Ridge (606) 428-1212
-Kentucky Medical Examiner's Office
Amy Burrows-Beckham (502) 489-5209 or (502) 852-5587
Agency Case Number: FA-1996-25
NCIC Case Number: U860003942

Sources
NamUs
The Doe Network
Kentucky State Police

LeFort III fractures result in craniofacial disjunction. This is the highest level LeFort fracture and essentially separates the maxilla from the skull base.

LeFort fractures most frequently result from high-speed deceleration crashes in which the midface or maxilla strike a stationary object (dashboard, pavement). These injuries may also be produced by striking the face with a rigid object (tire iron, baseball bat). Forces directed at the midface from straight on tend to cause LeFort I and II fractures. If the force is directed slightly downward a LeFort III fracture more frequently results

Airway patency must be addressed promptly. If the airway is compromised or associated injuries dictate the need for assisted ventilation the best way to secure an airway is with a nasotracheal intubation over a flexible bronchoscope or with a tracheostomy. If the patient has associated mandible fractures, oral airway competence may be tenuous (if not at the time of admission then likely in several hours) and plans for a tracheostomy should be made. The patient will likely need a tracheostomy for definitive treatment in any case.

Titanium and vitallium plates and screws are not removed. Stainless steel plates and screws, very rarely used, should be removed after 6 to 12 months.
———————————————
Patients with Le Fort III injuries are often admitted to hospital unconscious and intubated. Special attention has to be paid to foreign bodies such as teeth or tooth fragments obstructing the airways.
———————————————
Lateral view of face may demonstrate “dish face” deformity, in which the central structures of the face “cave in”.
———————————————
Le Fort III — Tenderness and separation at frontozygomatic suture, lengthening of face, depression of ocular levels (enophthalmos), hooding of eyes, and tilting of occlusal plane, an imaginary curved plane between the edges of the incisors and the tips of the posterior teeth. As a result, there is gagging on the side of injury.

This poor guy! He undoubtedly was in an extraordinary amount of pain for a portion of his lifetime. From whatever caused this trauma at least. The areas of impact (I guess is the correct term) and severity of damage make me wonder what in the world caused to have left him with only one missing tooth?!

Someone would have remembered operating on him. There are countless people I can think of that would have met him from the time he sustained this injury through the minute he left the place where this procedure was performed. Not even including any other minute of his life. Very tragic.

I know that some sources state that this may have been a suicide. Which, given the circumstances, I can understand. But why would he be nude? I’m guessing his clothing could have worn away in the elements and whatnot, but I’d think the cloth ‘necklace’ might have done the same? I don’t know.

Odd question but do you think that there is an ID/serial# on those plates? Reason I ask is because many times there is, but I don’t know when doctors/hospitals started doing that.
To be honest, I’m not sure. If I had to guess I’d say the hardware was probably sold or distributed to hospitals in “lots” with lot numbers. Maybe those numbers were imprinted on the pieces and the lots could be traced. As far as each individual plate and screw, I would think they probably could not be traced to a specific patient. I’d be surprised if detailed records were ever even kept or retained in either case.

Again, that’s just my guess. lol. I’ve found something on Synthes plates and screws but I’m not sure if it’s exactly what was used. I’m just using it as a visual guide as I’m researching...
Synthes 2.0 mm Mandible Locking Plate System

The image of the surgical reconstruction of the skull is heartbreaking. Poor guy. I wonder if his disfigurement was such that he became depressed/suicidal. I know that even having an illness severe enough to spend time in the ICU can predispose one to a mood disorder.

Oh @annemc2 it’s so very heartbreaking. :( I had to go back read the description again after seeing the image. It looks like a jigsaw puzzle someone put back together ... I thought maybe in order to create a reconstruction it was done after he was discovered. Even at the high end of the estimated age range he was still young and I can’t imagine what emotional trauma something like this would cause. I surely hope we can help him get his name back!

I’m not sure which case is more heartbreaking, the missing or the unidentified. I’m also not sure how this match can be possible but not entirely convinced it’s not. If not Bobby, I’m guessing someone matching his description (with more teeth) is who we’re looking for?
30D6B288-6C27-4FDE-BF7E-DC62B7A3A8E0.jpeg 1D716FE9-A6E6-4CF9-8291-A085ADDA21CB.jpeg 42C892A5-05E0-4F0C-AC44-34CB7660CDC7.jpeg 8F0C6BEA-3356-4221-82CD-1569F2D92022.jpeg
NamUs

Robert Wayne “Bobby” McCullar (1955-Unknown) -...

The Doe Network: Case File 1219DMTX

FWIW, I tried overlaying the images of Bobby with that of the skeleton...IMO they are very similar

O
I’m not sure which case is more heartbreaking, the missing or the unidentified. I’m also not sure how this match can be possible but not entirely convinced it’s not. If not Bobby, I’m guessing someone matching his description (with more teeth) is who we’re looking for?
View attachment 226263 View attachment 226264 View attachment 226265 View attachment 226266
NamUs

Robert Wayne “Bobby” McCullar (1955-Unknown) -...

The Doe Network: Case File 1219DMTX

FWIW, I tried overlaying the images of Bobby with that of the skeleton...IMO they are very similar

Poor man :( you’re right Bobby’s story is extremely sad. I do see what you mean by his facial structure.

another thought is that I have had patients that have had epilepsy and they have had similar damage to the face from severe seizures and falling so they had to have plates in place to reconstruct.
Also, Another thought is prior car accident. And then there is the possibility John Doe could have been jumped, my little brother was jumped a few years ago and his teeth and face got really messed up, mostly in the cheek/eyes area and got some of his teeth broken. Luckily he didn’t need the facial reconstruction. I try to lean away from that possibility cuz I hate knowing humans are so cruel to others.

To be honest, I’m not sure. If I had to guess I’d say the hardware was probably sold or distributed to hospitals in “lots” with lot numbers. Maybe those numbers were imprinted on the pieces and the lots could be traced. As far as each individual plate and screw, I would think they probably could not be traced to a specific patient. I’d be surprised if detailed records were ever even kept or retained in either case.

Again, that’s just my guess. lol. I’ve found something on Synthes plates and screws but I’m not sure if it’s exactly what was used. I’m just using it as a visual guide as I’m researching...
Synthes 2.0 mm Mandible Locking Plate System

dentures usually have the initials of owner and serial numbers on them, that’s what made me think of that and then the bigger plates usually do the same for when/if they have to change plates or for ID purposes. But like I said I don’t know when that started, I believe for dentures it’s been like that for quite awhile and that’s how they have been able to make some positive IDs on Does. Just throwing out some thoughts.
Everyone deserves to have their names back.

The image of the surgical reconstruction of the skull is heartbreaking. Poor guy. I wonder if his disfigurement was such that he became depressed/suicidal. I know that even having an illness severe enough to spend time in the ICU can predispose one to a mood disorder.

that’s been the case many times :( depression is horrible.
I seen that “may be Roman Catholic” as well, my thoughts on that is that if he were to have committed suicide I’m not sure he would have been nude doing so, my family is old school Roman Catholic, kind of strict, but everyone is different. In Rebecca Z (can’t spell her last name) it appeared that she committed suicide but she was nude and her family has no doubt in their minds that she wouldn’t have committed suicide like that etc, that’s a long case for a different day tho. Just thought that the way John Doe was found was really strange, but psychosis can really do a number on a person and make them do things they normally wouldn’t.

dentures usually have the initials of owner and serial numbers on them, that’s what made me think of that and then the bigger plates usually do the same for when/if they have to change plates or for ID purposes. But like I said I don’t know when that started, I believe for dentures it’s been like that for quite awhile and that’s how they have been able to make some positive IDs on Does. Just throwing out some thoughts.
Everyone deserves to have their names back.
I agree! He definitely needs his name back.

I never know about tracking things like this...it’s always the stuff I think should definitely be traceable that’s not and vice versa. I didn’t even know that much about dentures! Now I do. :)

I was actually imagining something more like what happened with your brother (glad he made it through without having to have such extensive work done!) than anything else. Reading the information about this particular fracture and the part about a baseball bat or crowbar causing something similar...that’s about what I was thinking. Then I saw Bobby and it dawned on me that there are quite a few ways someone could end up with these injuries.

But yes, it’s a cold reality imagining the inhumane possibilities.

eta: I was thinking the exact same thing about the reference to Roman Catholicism...

I agree! He definitely needs his name back.

I never know about tracking things like this...it’s always the stuff I think should definitely be traceable that’s not and vice versa. I didn’t even know that much about dentures! Now I do. :)

I was actually imagining something more like what happened with your brother (glad he made it through without having to have such extensive work done!) than anything else. Reading the information about this particular fracture and the part about a baseball bat or crowbar causing something similar...that’s about what I was thinking. Then I saw Bobby and it dawned on me that there are quite a few ways someone could end up with these injuries.

But yes, it’s a cold reality imagining the inhumane possibilities.

eta: I was thinking the exact same thing about the reference to Roman Catholicism...

When my fiancé had to get dentures (his side of the family have severe teeth issues, his brother even grew in some of his teeth upside down, She was using very heavily when pregnant then refused them health and dental care :( so their teeth just got worse and worse over time) so when I got him on health insurance the first thing i did was get him set up for dentures and during that process the dentist was explaining the identification numbers on the dentures. I believe even some dental implants -usually bridges- have it too.
when my very close friend and neighbor had her knee replaced it was the same with the ID. I thought it was really interesting because I’ve never known all of that.
as for my brother, he runs in a tough crowd.. I worry all the time about his safety because he feels he can lip off to all the wrong people, when his accident happened he was pulled over because a cop seen him driving all over the road with blood all over the outside of car and when he got to him my brothers face was completely swollen, his eyes were bloody and he couldn’t see, teeth broken, ribs broken, it was bad. He didn’t even know the people who did it either. It’s a scary world. My family had to keep my kids away from him because he looked horrifying and very disfigured for quite awhile. It scared them.
The injuries to John Does face is very similar, a crowbar or bat can do extensive damage, the 90’s were the “brass knuckles era”, those alone can completely turn your skull into nothing. They also think that John Doe was deceased for months before being found. I’m seriously doubting suicide (imo). Is there a neighborhood near the wooded area he was found?
I wonder if anyone contacted any hospitals or surgeons after he was found to see if anyone had extensive facial reconstruction within those past few years?
Someone had to have been missing him!

Ok, thinking out loud....
Discovered 1 July 1996
Estimated PMI 4-10 weeks (1 month to 2 1/2 months) so let’s say he died about 1 May 1996
(I’m factoring in weather conditions, etc. assuming they weren’t already)
For about 2 months this man hung in that tree.
Ok, May 1996 and it’s estimated the facial trauma occurred 3 months to 2 years prior to death.
Now we’re looking at between May 1994 and February 1996. During some point between those dates (give or take) he endured a significant physical trauma. Followed by surgery, recovery, follow up, complications, etc.

There is no doubt, I don’t think, that he would have required follow up care, prescription medications, removal or certain devices, readjustments, changes of dressing... something during that time.

If he was in a MVC it should have been in the paper but I’ve seen awful accidents that didn’t receive a bit of media attention. Same thing with an aggravated assault. I’d expect more for that to see the pages of a paper than a MVC. Maybe there are court records if someone was charged.

Now, in the case of someone like Bobby, who seems like he was no stranger to accidents, it might be harder for the general public to trace anyone back to those type of incidents. Especially when it comes to anyone in a mental health facility or care center or the system as a whole.

I’m on the fence about it being a suicide. I’m leaning towards it not but it’s hard to tell. It’s especially frustrating that I didn’t find a single article about even the discovery of his body much less any follow up reports. So I couldn’t begin to pinpoint where he was found. It would be helpful to know though! (I think there’s a map whiz around here somewhere ;) @carbuff )

It’s sad to think about really. This is one case I’d love to see CarlK take on! I’ve seen and read about the first ‘skull-to-recon’ case he did (I can’t remember now which one it was - white female is all I can recall at the moment) and it was so fascinating to me! I think this would not only be a constructive challenge for him, but an enormous step in possibly identifying our guy!

IMO, FWIW

I suggested our guy on Joel Mark Wells’ thread...is anyone more familiar with Mark’s case? I found a few good links, one including several family members exchanging comments on a community forum, but didn’t see anything about him having facial reconstruction surgery. His photos though, in my opinion, look as though he had some disfigurement of his face. That could be from the angle of the photos?
2FE8D2CF-7B4A-4C69-B51C-A602CFBC9735.jpeg DBF50D65-4D67-4DC6-BB64-FD73DC57642E.jpeg 41DFC14F-CD28-41C1-A516-820D31B978DB.jpeg

KY - KY - Joel Wells, 21, Hazard, 15 Jan 1994

I suggested our guy on Joel Mark Wells’ thread...is anyone more familiar with Mark’s case? I found a few good links, one including several family members exchanging comments on a community forum, but didn’t see anything about him having facial reconstruction surgery. His photos though, in my opinion, look as though he had some disfigurement of his face. That could be from the angle of the photos?
View attachment 231182 View attachment 231183 View attachment 231184

KY - KY - Joel Wells, 21, Hazard, 15 Jan 1994

I think he has a pronounced jaw, not really disfigured, but looking at his teeth then his jaw it looks like he’s got a possible overbite which when pics are taken stand out more. I’m still reading up on Joel’s case atm so hopefully more clues will pop up

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtandSims4
Back