Found Deceased KY - Savannah Spurlock, 22, left 'The Other Bar' with 2 men, Richmond, 4 Jan 2019 #6 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just caught up with this case - went through the MSM & timeline thread (big thanks to all who worked so hard on that, especially @oviedo and @Seattle1) as well as reading this latest thread from scratch. Phew!

A couple of things.

I too have felt the undercurrent in this thread mentioned by others earlier, and it has made me extremely uncomfortable. Whilst it is within TOS to speculate as to what may have come to pass that night - and DS’ attendant potential guilt or innocence - I am sure we can all agree on one thing here, and that is Savannah is indisputably a victim of crime(s). Please let us try to be mindful of that, and respectful in our posts.

(Also, if you see a TOS violation, report instead of responding: it saves mods work in clean up.)

I’ve seen some theories regarding accidental death/death from natural causes, and subsequent fear/panic on DS’s part leading to a cover up, concealing the body etc.

JMHO, I have tried in vain to reason this out, but it is just too much of a stretch for me. For me, if he is truly innocent of any culpability in her death, then I can’t understand why he wouldn’t report this to the authorities. Surely an autopsy would clear him of any wrongdoing - if not the initial assessment by responding paramedics? Concealment of a body seems like a mighty big risk in comparison. Perhaps I am being naive, but if I honestly try to put myself in that situation, and imagine how I would behave, then I think that if I awoke to find somebody unconscious/seemingly deceased on my property, I would trust LE to help me (and more importantly the unconscious party/decedent) over framing me for a crime. Overridingly, I think my first thoughts would be in conflict as to whether I should attempt the recovery position &/or resuscitation first, or whether I call an ambulance first (probably the latter while multi tasking with the former). I don’t think that disposal of the body of the (seemingly) deceased is something that would even cross my mind. Further, I am not a qualified medical professional, and so couldn’t be confident in my own assessment as to whether the person was truly deceased. I could not live with myself if I inadvertently caused the death of another by failing to act (ie by calling an ambulance).

O/T I also noticed a lot of critique re the Daily Mail earlier in this thread. I just wanted to reassure everyone that the Daily Mail isn’t generally considered a trusted news source over here either :p - and (as a bit of light relief) is sometimes jokingly referred to as “The Daily Fail” (in reference to its many misquotes, questionable ‘facts’, frequent retractions etc).

It was in the Garrard County Central Record today that Savannah’s case will be heard on September 4.

@MarieWS I just wanted to send you my very best wishes and big hugs from over here in the UK. I cannot imagine the pain and anguish you and your family must be going through. I have so much respect for you advocating for Savannah here, some posts and MSM articles must make for exceptionally difficult reading. She seemed like a beautiful soul, and it breaks my heart to know that four young children have lost their mummy. My thoughts are with you all x

BBM

I'm pretty sure he would need to be indicted before waiving his right to a speedy trial. At this point he isn't even facing a trial until the Grand Jury would hand down an indictment. The prosecutor has 60-days to present the case to the Grand Jury.
JMO

It's only been 45 days from his arrest date as of today. The GJ for Sept will most likely meet around the 11th of Sept.

However, iirc, the prosecutor has 60 days to put the case in the hands of the Grand Jury. DS was charged with a felony. Unlike other states, I don't think that Ky has a statute of limitations on felonies, which means a Grand Jury could consider this case, after the prosecutor hands it to them, whenever they wish (30, 60, 90 days, out, etc...).

It's only been 45 days from his arrest date as of today. The GJ for Sept will most likely meet around the 11th of Sept.

However, iirc, the prosecutor has 60 days to put the case in the hands of the Grand Jury. DS was charged with a felony. Unlike other states, I don't think that Ky has a statute of limitations on felonies, which means a Grand Jury could consider this case, after the prosecutor hands it to them, whenever they wish (30, 60, 90 days, out, etc...).
So, they could keep him in jail for ever?

The preliminary hearing must take place within 10 days of the arrest if the accused is being held in custody, 20 days if not. The prosecution has 60 days from the preliminary hearing to present the case to a Grand Jury.

Not sure on what day the preliminary hearing was held, but the 60 days would start then. Looking at news articles I believe the preliminary hearing was on the 15th of July. That would make the latest the prosecution could present the case to the Grand Jury the 13th of September. If the case is not heard by the Grand Jury within 60 days the accused can file a motion asking to be released from custody.

Statute of limitations has to do with how long after a crime has been committed, new charges can be filed for that crime. Most states do not have a limit on murder and other more serious offenses. If they did, cold cases involving unsolved murders and such would go unsolved simply because there would be no point investigating a case in which charges could never be filed.

Just want to clarify for those who may have missed her posts @MarieWS Did state earlier that hearing was July 15th. GJ did not hear the case August 14th as previously scheduled. They were told GJ had to hear case 60 days from July 15th hearing and as of today it is scheduled to be heard September 4th.

So, they could keep him in jail for ever?

They can keep him a long time. He's probably got a public defender, too. They typically won't even talk to them about their case, after initial meeting, until they are indicted. Hopefully his case will go before the GJ as was stated in the newspaper but if they want to hold it over, for another session, I do believe they can. This is not unheard of in our state, unless the laws have recently changed. I may be reading this wrong but I know of at least two folks, in on felonies, who have gone over the sixty days, and were NOT released.

Kentucky Revised Statutes

Title 50. KENTUCKY PENAL CODE

Chapter 500. GENERAL PROVISIONS
Current through 2014 Ky. Acts ch. 4
§ 500.050. Time limitations

(1) Except as otherwise expressly provided, the prosecution of a felony is not subject to a period of limitation and may be commenced at any time.

(2) Except as otherwise expressly provided, the prosecution of an offense other than a felony must be commenced within one (1) year after it is committed.

(3) For a misdemeanor offense under KRS Chapter 510 when the victim is under the age of eighteen (18) at the time of the offense, the prosecution of the offense shall be commenced within five (5) years after the victim attains the age of eighteen (18) years.

(4) For purposes of this section, an offense is committed either when every element occurs, or if a legislative purpose to prohibit a continuing course of conduct plainly appears, at the time when the course of conduct or the defendant's complicity therein is terminated.

Cite as KRS 500.050

That’s just about how long they can be charged after the crime occurs. It is not referencing how long they can be held without being indicted.

He hasn't seen the GJ yet but probably will in September? Is there any chance his bail status will change or that he could be released pending a trial? Does being turned in by your family that you lived with effect those decisions ?

@Joe Friday - you are correct on the date - here's what I have in my notes:

7/11/19 Update: Plead not guilty & appointed a public defender. Preliminary hearing on 7/15.
7/15/19 Update: Judge Bill Oliver found probably cause after a Kentucky State Police detective’s testimony. The case was waived to a grand jury, & Sparks is being held without bond. The judge said his bond will be reviewed. After hearing testimony Monday, Garrard District Judge Bill Oliver found probable cause to send the case before the grand jury, which is expected to meet Wednesday and could return an indictment Friday, 7/19.
7/19/19 Update: Judge orders gag order on case. Sparks’ case will be heard by the Garrard County grand jury on August 14. The grand jury will return indictments on August 16.
8/13/19 Update: The Grand Jury will not be hearing Savannah’s case on 8/14. Has been put to Grand Jury on 9/4. Could return indictment on 9/6.

A little bit of a random question.

DS is being held in one of the most overcrowded jails in the state (207% capacity) that was just featured in an article about KY huge overcrowding problem. Would his "notoriety" give him a private cell or would he be treated the same? The conditions are appalling in most KY county jails!

Re; DS and Grand Jury;

I apologize, to all, for any confusion I may have caused about this Grand Jury topic.

The individuals of whom I spoke, are awaiting their cases to be put before the Federal Grand Jury. They have been incarcerated for over a year now, and and their cases have not yet been seen by the FGJ. The ole brain got a bit scrambled between the two. :confused:

My apologies for any confusion.

He hasn't seen the GJ yet but probably will in September? Is there any chance his bail status will change or that he could be released pending a trial? Does being turned in by your family that you lived with effect those decisions ?

They could definitely ask for bail. I don’t know if his family turning him in would have any effect on the decision. I don’t think it would. Whoever bails him out will essentially be responsible for him showing up to his court dates though.

A little bit of a random question.

DS is being held in one of the most overcrowded jails in the state (207% capacity) that was just featured in an article about KY huge overcrowding problem. Would his "notoriety" give him a private cell or would he be treated the same? The conditions are appalling in most KY county jails!

I’m not sure how many private cells they have in the jail he’s at. I would imagine he’s in a pod with a bunch of other guys.

I was just thinking of Daron Wints trial this am with all the discussion about DS possibly not being the sole person responsible. Great example of how it doesn’t matter if He is the only one or others were involved. He can still be found guilty of the crimes he will eventually stand trial for wether he is the only one charged or not. A lot of people believed Wints had company yet he is the only one who was ever charged, stood trial, and thankfully found guilty. Didn’t follow that case here on WS but did follow it as it hit very close to home for me.
That Wints case was brutal, man. I followed it from the very beginning, when the firemen found the family. I have no idea why it stays with me, but I think of it often. Maybe because of PS condition...he was so young. I was terrified DW would somehow go free. The fact that he didn’t gives me hope for many other cases.

I can’t imagine DS getting off completely free. After some cases in FL, I always worry that people clearly responsible will beat the charges. I have great faith in the American justice system, when it works as it is supposed to. All jmo.

Marissa just released an episode about Savannah on her “The Vanished” podcast.

Savannah Spurlock — The Vanished Podcast

The Vanished Podcast did an excellent job with Savannah’s story. The only detail that is incorrect is that they say the parents’ home was searched in Feb and April. The Price Ct. home was the home searched in April, not the Fall Lick Home.

If the supposed video existed and it showed Savannah being sexually assaulted by one or more of the men, the only reason I can think of why charges wouldn't have been filed by now is LE is awaiting DNA testing results to give them more evidence because the video in itself is not enough evidence to charge any of the three with a crime. If this is the case and if no DNA of the three men is obtainable from Savannah's body because none exists or the amount of time has degraded the DNA then chances are no charges will be filed. I think enough time has gone by now that if LE had evidence that Savannah was sexually assaulted, charges would have been filed by now.

You have to remember according to what was reported about the video it was said Savannah was preforming a sex act on each of the three men and not the other way around for lack of better words without being too graphic. So it's very possible the video doesn't show Savannah being sexually assaulted. IMO unless the video clearly shows Savannah being forced to do something against her will, there likely is not enough evidence from just the video to file charges. I highly doubt the video would have been shown to coworkers in the following days if it showed Savannah being forced to do anything. IMO that video was shown at work in a more or less a trophy or bragging sort of way to show their coworkers what a girl they picked up in a bar did Saturday night after they took her home. Sad but true this sort of thing goes on. The mentality is 'get a picture of this because the guys will never believe it'. Did Savannah agree to being video taped, we don't know. Did Savannah agree to do what was being video taped, we don't know. Do we even know if the video tape exists, we don't know.

There is a Youtube video of the women being interviewed who was supposedly the women who gave the information about the video that was taken that morning and then showed to coworkers if anyone wants to go seek it out. I will not post a link to the video here because it's not from a MSM source. Do I have any reason to believe the women would be lying about the video. No.

JMO

It actually doesn’t say that Savannah was doing any thing to the three men. This is the exact excerpt from the article

'They all took advantage of a drunk girl that night and then the other two left her alone with Sparks.

'They took cell phone video of her. The guys were showing it around at work. She was so drunk she couldn't speak, it was like she couldn't speak English.

Please stop suggesting that anyone, no matter who, if they perform a sex act then they got what was coming. If a poster is aggravating you ease put that poster on ignore.
Thank you.

I seriously doubt he has a private cell at Lincoln (unless it's the hole). They are full up as it stands.

Yeh I don’t even know if they have something like that in smaller jails. I was just reading something the other day about over crowding in Kentucky jails. The state average is at 121% so i would think most of them wouldn’t be able to give that space up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa