GUILTY KY - Savannah Spurlock, 22, left 'The Other Bar' with 2 men, Richmond, 4 Jan 2019 #7 *Arrest*

I'm glad he plead guilty. 50 years is a long time. If he is alive for parole he might have other charges collected from inside prison. I think this is the best outcome. No one has to hear his excuses or lies about Savannah. It spares her family and her kids from letting him tarnish her memory.

Fortunately, being eligible for parole and actually getting out are two different things.

I have no doubt that Savannah's family and as well as her beautiful children will voice their disgust of the defendant and his crime at any parole hearing in the next 10, 20, 30 years, etc.

MOO

I agree that the difference between eligible and obtaining parole are two different things. But, I am a bit furious that this family might have to go back to the parole board again and again to fight for his continued incarceration. Her twins were just weeks old when she was killed. This means they will be at a hearing at age 11-12 and through their lives to keep this piece of trash in the prison system.

I agree with CherryMeg as well that it makes it so the killer can't talk garbage about the Spurlock family or Savannah. It does save pain.

Fortunately, being eligible for parole and actually getting out are two different things.

I have no doubt that Savannah's family and as well as her beautiful children will voice their disgust of the defendant and his crime at any parole hearing in the next 10, 20, 30 years, etc.

MOO
I hate for the family to have to go through that each time, although I'm sure they will endure for Savannah's sake.

I'm glad he plead guilty. 50 years is a long time. If he is alive for parole he might have other charges collected from inside prison. I think this is the best outcome. No one has to hear his excuses or lies about Savannah. It spares her family and her kids from letting him tarnish her memory.

You make some very good points @cherrymeg. I think this killer will very likely collect more demerits in prison that might impede his eligibility.

After reading your comment, I also looked up parole regulations for KY and it's possible that killer Sparkes will only have one hearing where the board can decide the inmate will "serve out" i.e., parole is denied and the decision is final. The inmate must serve the remainder of his or her sentence.

Also, it appears that Sparkes being eligible for a parole hearing after serving 20% of his sentence is based on his plea agreement and not statute.

I'm comfortable believing that he's never leaving prison.

How Does Parole Work in Kentucky? | Baldani Law Group

Last edited:
You make some very good points @cherrymeg. I think this killer will very likely collect more demerits in prison that might impede his eligibility.

After reading your comment, I also looked up parole regulations for KY and it's possible that killer Sparkes will only have one hearing where the board can decide the inmate will "serve out" i.e., parole is denied and the decision is final. The inmate must serve the remainder of his or her sentence.

Also, it appears that Sparkes being eligible for a parole hearing after serving 20% of his sentence is based on his plea agreement and not statute.

I'm comfortable believing that he's never leaving prison.

How Does Parole Work in Kentucky? | Baldani Law Group

Thank you for posting that. Ten years can give him plenty of time to get in trouble in prison. Pleading to 50 years with the possibility of parole in 10 makes some sense but 50 is a higher number than you would see if it was accidental. Burying a woman on your parents property isn't something you can do accidentally. The prosecution must have had people like witnesses, family members that may have been unwitting accomplices, past behavior, forensics and maybe more. I was worried this would go to trial at some point after however long a delay Covid could cause and it would become about her life. People judged her for being a young mom who had just had twins and not custody or not being home with them or her other two. Women that go to a strange man's home after being at a bar especially if they are mothers are often judged if they go missing or get murdered. There has been victim blaming since Savannah didn't come home that morning. A trial could have played on that sentiment. I'm surprised they didn't. I'm beyond happy that Sparks made a deal. It makes me wonder what they had against him.
Did his parents pay for his lawyer? I know the dad had one when he contacted the police about finding or smelling her body. I thought Sparks had a public defender at first. The parole board won't have to see him for 10 years. Savannah's family won't all be obligated to go. His own family could speak against him. Infractions in prison would be looked at. The crime itself wouldn't be forgotten. Ten years sounds like a short time but that also might weigh into the decision of the board. Twenty years of being a perfect inmate might it seem like you atoned for the murder you committed. Ten years doesn't prove change it doesn't nearly touch what was stolen from Savannah and her family. Her twins will be 11 or 12 then. They don't have to be present for that to be brought up. I hope and think he won't be making parole. Fingers crossed.

Thursday, Dec. 17th:
*Sentencing Hearing (@ am ET) - KY – Savannah Marie Spurlock (22) (Jan. 4, 2019, missing-left “The Other Bar’ in Lexington; found July 10, 2019 @ Fall Lick Rd residence, buried on suspect’s parents’ property) – *David Sparks (23/now 25) arrested (7/11/19), indicted & charged (8/28/19) with murder (while manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life, he wantonly engaged in conduct which created a grave risk of death to her and thereby caused her death) & charged (7/11/19) & arraigned (7/11/19) with tampering with evidence & abuse of a corpse. Plead not guilty. $500K cash bond.
*Indicted & charged (8/28/19) & arraigned (9/6/19) with murder. Plead not guilty. Held on $500K cash bond.
Court information from 1/19/19 thru 8/28/19 reference post #102 here:
Found Deceased - KY - Savannah Spurlock, 22, left 'The Other Bar' with 2 men, Richmond, 4 Jan 2019 #7 *Arrest*

9/6/19 Update: Sparks formally entered a plea of not guilty to all charges Friday at an arraignment hearing. Next hearing on 11/1. Sparks is expected to be back in court on Nov. 1, but [attorney Erica] Roland said that due to the volume of evidence, the hearing could be delayed. Sparks is being held in the Lincoln County jail. Judge Hunter Daugherty said at Friday’s arraignment that since Sparks could not afford an attorney, he would continue to be represented by a public defender.
11/1/19 Update: The hearing for Friday was in Garrard County. Sparks was not in court. The hearing was pushed back 60 days to Jan. 3, 2020. Defense attorneys say they need more time to look at the evidence in the case.
1/3/20 Update: The Commonwealth asked for a 60-day continuance or delay in the case. The judge granted the request, meaning Sparks' next court date is on Mar. 6. 3/4/20: Status hearing has been rescheduled for 4/3.
4/2/20 Update: Due to coronavirus Status hearing has been cancelled. Kentucky courts shut down until at least May 31. Hearing continued on 7/17/20. 7/17/20 Update: Status hearing has been cancelled.
12/1/20 Update: Sparks has plead guilty to charges of murder, tampering with physical evidence & abuse of a corpse. The plea deal agrees to a 50-year prison sentence for murder, plus another five for tampering & one year for abuse of a corpse. According to court documents, those charges will run concurrent. Sparks would be eligible parole after serving 20% of his recommended 50-year sentence. Judge Hunter Daugherty accepted Sparks change of plea. Sentencing hearing on 12/17/20.

Man sentenced to 50 years for murder of young Kentucky mother | Daily Mail Online

"Garrard Circuit Judge Hunter Daugherty handed down the sentence recommended by Commonwealth's Attorney Andy Sims during a short virtual hearing.

Sims said the sentence was at the high end of what Sparks could have faced if the case went to trial."

"'We didn't have proof beyond a reasonable doubt of any aggravating circumstances,' Sims told Courier Journal.

'So, because we didn't have any aggravators, we couldn't seek the three highest penalties in the commonwealth, which are death, life without the possibility of parole or life without the possibility of parole until the defendant serves at least 25 years. Sparks will be eligible for parole after serving 20 years of his sentence."

Man sentenced to 50 years for murder of young Kentucky mother | Daily Mail Online

"Garrard Circuit Judge Hunter Daugherty handed down the sentence recommended by Commonwealth's Attorney Andy Sims during a short virtual hearing.

Sims said the sentence was at the high end of what Sparks could have faced if the case went to trial."

"'We didn't have proof beyond a reasonable doubt of any aggravating circumstances,' Sims told Courier Journal.

'So, because we didn't have any aggravators, we couldn't seek the three highest penalties in the commonwealth, which are death, life without the possibility of parole or life without the possibility of parole until the defendant serves at least 25 years. Sparks will be eligible for parole after serving 20 years of his sentence."

If the sentence was at the high end of what he would have faced with a court trial, is the guilty plea basically a confession and show of remorse? Was he protecting his family members? Or I am missing a reason to plead guilty vs a trial when those three harshest penalties are off the table? For whatever reason, I am glad he did and hope he serves all of those 50 yrs.

Some new info from her FB page.

We had an extremely helpful meeting with Andy Sims and Detective Scott from Richmond PD. They answered every question we asked, giving us a much more peaceful feeling after the short sentencing that provided no new information.

Investigators do not know how or why David killed Savannah. Her autopsy came back inconclusive all those months ago. They have their speculations, but only David can provide the answer. We know he did this alone.

Those are the only details we would like to provide for now.

If the sentence was at the high end of what he would have faced with a court trial, is the guilty plea basically a confession and show of remorse? Was he protecting his family members? Or I am missing a reason to plead guilty vs a trial when those three harshest penalties are off the table? For whatever reason, I am glad he did and hope he serves all of those 50 yrs.

He did not show any remorse today. Through a trial, the highest sentence he could get was life w possible parole at 20. He could also file appeals. Because they couldn’t prove aggravating circumstances, that would be the highest. 50 was the next “best” option. Thank u all here for your support. His face popping up on the zoom camera was truly soul shaking. My only speculation is that he was protecting his family from having to testify. Or he figured he’d parol in 20. We will fight hard to prevent that.

He did not show any remorse today. Through a trial, the highest sentence he could get was life w possible parole at 20. He could also file appeals. Because they couldn’t prove aggravating circumstances, that would be the highest. 50 was the next “best” option. Thank u all here for your support. His face popping up on the zoom camera was truly soul shaking. My only speculation is that he was protecting his family from having to testify. Or he figured he’d parol in 20. We will fight hard to prevent that.

Oh, @MarieWS, I can’t imagine what you and your family and friends have gone through to get to this point. Thank you for your strength and for sharing Savannah with us and keeping us updated as her case has proceeded through the justice system.

I hope you and your folks will find some measure of peace in the days to come.

One benefit to him pleading, in my opinion, is her sons not hearing or reading the drama of a trial years down the road. Those boys will have to learn enough horror about this as it is.

I recognize every criminal deserves a good defense but not at the expense of the victim. Savannah did absolutely nothing to deserve this monster snuffing out her life. From the very beginning I've often wondered if this was a hate crime and should have been prosecuted as such. Maybe LE did factor that in, we will never know.

The reason I say this is my experience with white men being horribly demeaning to white women who date a man of another race, or ethnic origin. I have seen it first hand and been disgusted at what comes out of the mouths of these men. Perhaps that was his motive, to punish Savannah or maybe she rebuffed him. Maybe the motive will come out in time.

May your soul rest in peace Savannah, watch over your precious babies and send love and light to your family and friends.

Nope. I don't believe there was any show of remorse here as true remorse would have given up SS's body months ago, and also not hid her remains on his parent's property.

I believe Sparks entered the plea deal for the best he could get which was 5 years off eligibility to appear before a parole board. (Statute says 25 yrs and Sparks received 20 yrs before eligible). Sparks is sorry that he was caught -- and/or that his father called authorities. I believe he probably didn't want the jury to see his own parents testify what they suspected or uncovered. He's a coward!

Sparks is an animal who did not value the life of a young mother. I doubt prison will be kind to him. Unlike many inmates that kill their partners, he killed a stranger to him. A beautiful woman that likely died trying to make it back to her children.

MOO

Thank you MarieWS. You have been a blessing to us and my heart goes out to you.

Sparks sentenced to 50 years for murder of Savannah Spurlock

It wasn't a normal courtroom proceeding. Due to COVID-19, the judge sentenced Sparks virtually through Zoom with Spurlock's family
watching it on a laptop from the commonwealth's attorney's office.

Attachments

• 121720.on.zoom.JPG
    121720.on.zoom.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 16

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members