KY KY - Williamstown, Grant Co, off KY 22 W of Dry Ridge, WhtMale 25-39, UP86, GSW, Hands Cut Off, In Tobacco Barn, Ext Dental Wk "Perfect Smile", Apr'89

Facially that's about as close a match as you're going to get.

Of course we've seen spot-on facial matches that turned out to be wrong...and the schrapnel would almost certainly have been noticed.
I agree it would have most likely been noticed but would it have been disclosed in Mr. Coolaid's profile? You know...maybe LE holding cards close to their chest for a quick ID or investigative purposes? But so much else still doesn't fit like his age. It's sure got me wondering, though.

@MadMcGoo have you researched any about Ernest? There's a 3-year lapse between his disappearance from WV and Mr. Coolaid's death. The resemblance is similar (imo) and their description matches somewhat, except age, hair color, and shrapnel in Ernest's back. It's unlikely this is a match but every time I see a post of yours, I see Ernest in your avatar. :oops::)

3254DMWV - Ernest Stanley Slavik
ESSlavik.jpg
Original
M8611002.jpg

mpDetails
Eta - better quality pic and link.
Oh wow! :eek: I agree, he looks eerily similar to my thumbnail! From their chins, foreheads, and hairlines to their “crooked” noses! Very strong resemblance. I have not seen Ernest before now so thank you for mentioning him.

The age is quite a bit off but we’ve seen crazier things. I think, for me, it comes down to the shrapnel. But like you said, they could be withholding that information in the case someone does recognize him. Evidently he was in the Marines too. I’m not familiar with how it works, and Doe Network says he has no identifiers available for comparison, but I’d imagine the military would have had some sort of fingerprints on him? Maybe they were lost somewhere along the way.

He might be worth calling directly into the LE agency since DDP is currently working on his case. Good find! I will certainly not be forgetting William’s face now! Thank you :)

Grant Co John Doe 1989 - DNA Doe Project Cases
Kentucky State Police
Regina Wells, DNA Database Supervisor
502-564-5230

Oh wow! :eek: I agree, he looks eerily similar to my thumbnail! From their chins, foreheads, and hairlines to their “crooked” noses! Very strong resemblance. I have not seen Ernest before now so thank you for mentioning him.

The age is quite a bit off but we’ve seen crazier things. I think, for me, it comes down to the shrapnel. But like you said, they could be withholding that information in the case someone does recognize him. Evidently he was in the Marines too. I’m not familiar with how it works, and Doe Network says he has no identifiers available for comparison, but I’d imagine the military would have had some sort of fingerprints on him? Maybe they were lost somewhere along the way.

He might be worth calling directly into the LE agency since DDP is currently working on his case. Good find! I will certainly not be forgetting William’s face now! Thank you :)

Grant Co John Doe 1989 - DNA Doe Project Cases
Kentucky State Police
Regina Wells, DNA Database Supervisor
502-564-5230

I'd seen him some time ago but assumed you all had too so I was reluctant to post about him. I'm not sure why I didn't do so earlier but now I'm glad I did. :):oops:

I spoke with Regina Wells @ KSP a few moments ago and gave to her Ernest's info. I mentioned he didn't match GCJD on age and other stats. I told her about the shrapnel and his military background. Of course, like any good investigator, she gave no indication whether that info was significant or not. ;) She said she'd check into it and will get back to me if she needs more info. Thanks for the contact info. As I told her, it may lead nowhere but at least I'll be able to sleep knowing he's been submitted. Let's cross our fingers for Ernest to be returned to his loved ones.

I'd seen him some time ago but assumed you all had too so I was reluctant to post about him. I'm not sure why I didn't do so earlier but now I'm glad I did. :):oops:

I spoke with Regina Wells @ KSP a few moments ago and gave to her Ernest's info. I mentioned he didn't match GCJD on age and other stats. I told her about the shrapnel and his military background. Of course, like any good investigator, she gave no indication whether that info was significant or not. ;) She said she'd check into it and will get back to me if she needs more info. Thanks for the contact info. As I told her, it may lead nowhere but at least I'll be able to sleep knowing he's been submitted. Let's cross our fingers for Ernest to be returned to his loved ones.
I know you’ll keep us updated! Thank you so much for calling it in and for bringing Ernest to our attention! :)

KSP Post 6 Partners With DNA Doe Project – kentuckystatepolice.org

Dry Ridge, KY (February 24, 2020) Kentucky State Police is partnering with DNA Doe Project to help identify a unidentified victim involved from a homicide in 1989. The DNA Doe Project is an all-volunteer organization that uses genetic genealogy to identify unidentified people by searching DNA databases for common ancestors. If any member of the community has any information involving this case, please contact Kentucky State Police at 859-428-1212.

More information can be found here: https://dnadoeproject.org/case/grant-co-john-doe-1989/

Last Media Update:

Dry Ridge, KY (July 28, 2016) Using technology provided by the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUS), Kentucky State Police Post 6 recently obtained a digitally enhanced photo of an unidentified male who was victim to a homicide that occurred in 1989. On April 9, 1989, the body of an white male, approximately 20-30 years old, 6 feet, 4 inches tall, weighing approximately 220 pounds was located in a tobacco barn on KY HWY 22 in Grant County, KY. The body was partially decomposed and both hands had been severed off. The investigation determined that the homicide had occurred elsewhere, at an unknown location. KSP Post 6 hopes this enhanced photo will aid in identifying the homicide victim which will further the investigation of his murder. Anyone with information is asked to contact Kentucky State Police, Post 6 at 859-428-1212.

(editors notes: Image is the digitally enhanced photo of unidentified male victim.)

2-24-2020_Doe-Project-300x300.jpg

Cold case gets new life as KSP partners with DNA Doe Project

GRANT COUNTY, Ky. (WKRC) - Thirty-one years have come and gone with no answers, but Kentucky State Police want to know who the man with no hands is. The unidentified man was found dead with his hands cut off in a tobacco barn near Dry Ridge in 1989.

Back in 2017, his body was exhumed.

“He deserves to go back home. His family deserves to know where he is. He was buried in a pauper's grave with no headstone,” said Trooper Joseph Filiatreau in 2017.

Back in 2017, DNA was taken and entered into a federal database, but since then, genealogy sites like 23andMe and Ancestry have emerged. That's why KSP is taking a closer look.

“Technology has come so far, and it makes our job easier. Bottom of the line is we want to solve these cases and bring justice where justice is served,” said KSP Trooper Cory Elliott.

The DNA Doe Project will now build a family tree in hopes of tracking down relatives of the John Doe.

“It is a very peculiar case and just an odd case. Just the whole circumstances around it, and that's why it's been so difficult for us to make headway,” said Elliott.

Police have previously thought this case may be connected to the mob. Besides a digitally enhanced picture, police don't have much to go on since the hands were removed. That’s why they're hoping new DNA technology will be the break they need in the case.

“It seems like as we get technological advances, some of these old cases -- we may, in fact, solve more of these,” said Elliott.

The John Doe is described as being 25 years old to 30-something, about 6-feet-5-inches and 220 pounds. The man also had extensive dental work. Police also say he has a unique head since the back of his head is very flat.

If you have any information that might help identify him, call Kentucky State Police at 859-428-1212.

DDP's FB page says this case is now in bioinformatics, their website appears not to have been updated as still says he is in testing.
Oh! Thanks for updating!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back