Kyron's backpack

I'm curious about why the Oregonlive article states he dropped off his backpack, but "Gates would not comment on statements by a family member and others that Kyron's backpack and coat were found in his second-floor classroom" (links in posts above.)

Sorry I don't jump in much but I was just curious about the backpack, as maybe they are not confirming where it is for other reasons?

From the looks of his project, that couldn't have been in his backpack... have they recovered the large plastic bag I assume it was wrapped in to protect it from the chilly damp weather?

ETA: Sorry, I realized that was O/T and completely off the top of my head. Random mental wanderings - a sad occupational hazard of mine.

Just adding to the chorus, I am positive I read his backpack was in the classroom in some thread posted earlier.

Just adding to the chorus, I am positive I read his backpack was in the classroom in some thread posted earlier.

It has definitely been discussed - in I thought it was fact till about 2 hours ago! But it seems LE hasn't confirmed that either. Hence the frustration encountered here at times. Seems obvious they were left in the classroom - all in this thread have brought up amazing points indicating items were left, I agree, or we would have seen pictures of his coat and backback released to further look for him.

Point is, for whatever reason, in a press conference, LE said no comment to even that. Thoughts? Or has there been an update since that article that says they were left in the classroom?

It would be interesting to know if there was a lunch packed in his backpack.

oh this made me sick. IDK why, but even thinking how premeditated this might have been. oh man

I live north of Portland - and I can attest to how wet & chilly it's been here. Heck - I'm STILL wearing a jacket & putting the heat on in the house, and tomorrow is summer solstice!

A friend of mine says he's lived in Oregon 30 years and never saw such weather like we are having! And then he said that Mark Twain once said that the mildest winter he ever spent was summer in Oregon. LOL

That's a good point.

It depends, however, on how the school handles lunches. Someone here has linked to a pdf of the school handbook, so the info may be in there. I can't remember where the post is so I can link to it, but I think it was recent.

At the schools in the two towns in different states that our family has lived in recently, students could bring their lunch, pay cash for lunch, or their parents could pay in advance and the students would charge lunch against that amount.

So neither lunch money nor lunch may have been necessary.

I read in one of Terri's emails that Kyron left his coat & backpack in school. I wonder if that's correct. I don't understand how he could have left them there if Terri took him. I assumed if she was guilty that she told him he had a doctor's appointment or some other thing. But surely he would have taken his backpack & coat with him. Leaving those objects at the school suggests that he had no intention of leaving the school. Also did the teacher not notice these were left at the school when the other kids left? If these objects were not left in the school then that would certainly suggest he was taken by Terri, as he would hardly run & get them to leave with a stranger. Sorry if this question already been answered, I came rather late to reading about this case.

kyron_horman19_540x405.jpg

http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-504083_162-10003676-19.html?tag=page

They appear to be at the back of the room.

I assume the teacher either didn't notice if Kyron left his backpack or maybe it wasn't uncommon for there to be backpacks and jackets to be left behind. I know my kids were great at that.
Also, as far as him leaving without his backpack he may have been told he would be back soon so he should leave them there.

They arrived sometime after the school opened about 8 a.m., went to his classroom, dropped off his coat and backpack and he showed his stepmother his exhibit, "The Red-Eyed Tree Frog."

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/details_emerge_about_the_day_k.html

according to e-mails written by Horman and obtained first by KATU News.

“The teacher thought I said I was going to take Kyron with Kitty for a doctor’s appt.,” she wrote on June 5, 2010. “I said I was going to look at other exhibits - how do you mess that up? His coat and backpack were still at school. I left the school at 9 and he was seen with a man ‘chaperone’ and 2 girls after I left. There were no men on the chaperone list. That and it was highly chaotic - had to been 300 people running around - no coordination ...”

http://www.katu.com/news/local/100323934.html

The way it seems to me is that if his backpack was really found at school, that could easily mean that Terri told him they were just going to leave for a little while and then he would be returning to school.

It's not hard to imagine her saying something like, just slip out the back door and get in the truck...we're going home for a few minutes to so you can put on a different shirt (or any reason...) and then we'll be right back.

I've always wanted to believe that Kyron's disappearance had something to do with a moment of rage, etc...but, when I think of his backpack & jacket left behind...it now makes me think more & more of premeditation.

I also would be interested to know the "contents" of his backpack. I wonder if there was anything in there or not in there (say a lunch) which have given LE any clues as to premeditation.

They arrived sometime after the school opened about 8 a.m., went to his classroom, dropped off his coat and backpack and he showed his stepmother his exhibit, "The Red-Eyed Tree Frog."

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/details_emerge_about_the_day_k.html

according to e-mails written by Horman and obtained first by KATU News.

“The teacher thought I said I was going to take Kyron with Kitty for a doctor’s appt.,” she wrote on June 5, 2010. “I said I was going to look at other exhibits - how do you mess that up? His coat and backpack were still at school. I left the school at 9 and he was seen with a man ‘chaperone’ and 2 girls after I left. There were no men on the chaperone list. That and it was highly chaotic - had to been 300 people running around - no coordination ...”

http://www.katu.com/news/local/100323934.html

More alibi creating and setting up Skyline as the patsy: Leave the backpack at school. Say there was an unidentified man. IMNSHO

FR: I considered this as well, but felt that someone who planned everything so well would definitely have packed a lunch for him. (unless he usually bought his lunch?)

that would be interesting to know if he normally packed a lunch everyday or if he bought it daily, or alternated. The only significant gleaning that would be helpful though IMO, is if he normally packed a lunch every day AND there was no lunch in his back pack that day. That would definitely show premeditation (of course TH would just say she "forgot" to put it in that day because of all the chaos, surely). I wish we did know these answers though.

Kaine also confirmed in one of the Friday interviews that Kyron left his backpack and coat at school.

Not sure if he took his lunch daily but he did have a new lunch box on the way

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20399962,00.html

"Kaine and Terri, Kyron's stepmom, also ordered a Toy Story 3 lunch box, timed to arrive at their blue wood-framed house in the community of Skyline Ridge, outside Portland, Ore., around the film's June 18 opening. The lunch box arrived on schedule, but Kyron, 7-who has been missing since June 4-was not there to receive it. "I cried when it showed up," says Kaine Horman, 36, holding the colorful lunch box."To have that show up with him not here, it was just devastating."

Not sure if he took his lunch daily but he did have a new lunch box on the way

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20399962,00.html

"Kaine and Terri, Kyron's stepmom, also ordered a Toy Story 3 lunch box, timed to arrive at their blue wood-framed house in the community of Skyline Ridge, outside Portland, Ore., around the film's June 18 opening. The lunch box arrived on schedule, but Kyron, 7-who has been missing since June 4-was not there to receive it. "I cried when it showed up," says Kaine Horman, 36, holding the colorful lunch box."To have that show up with him not here, it was just devastating."

That is just so sad! :(

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes