Found Deceased LA - Mark Bakotic, 21, New Orleans, 30 Dec 2016

My general thoughts about what happened to Mark are this:

- If he didn't live through the night he went missing, I think he likely fell into the river/got into it for some reason (even if that reason was just being intoxicated and behaving strangely)/etc. and accidentally drowned.
- If he DID live through the night he went missing, I think foul play is likely involved.

As far as I'm aware, there is no concrete evidence that he lived through the night. No pictures of him, security footage of him around NOLA in the days after, etc. However, I know some friends and family believe that there were reliable accounts of sightings of him in the days/weeks following because of certain things they said about him -- his mannerisms, his size, saying things to them that Mark would say. I didn't question any of them, obviously, so I can't say whether or not there was leading information when people were being asked if they'd seen him. There's a chance some of them might have seen him on a poster or something or in the news. There's a chance it's wishful thinking. I just don't know, but as I've stated before: I've felt like Mark Sr. is pretty grounded and realistic. When the group was based on Finding Mark, he often warned to be weary of people who said they'd seen Mark unless they "knew him like a brother" and so on. And he definitely believes Mark lived through the night based on people he talked to while walking the streets looking for his son. A large part of me is inclined to believe him. But again, I just don't know.

Also, Mark's mother posted in the Remembering Mark group about an hour ago saying that his case is "still very open." So there's that as well.

Oh man. I've been to all or most of the Audubon places in NOLA: the aquarium, IMAX, zoo, insectarium (my husband ate a Cajun mealworm there blech). For some reason my mind skimmed over the fact that Harrah's is right by the aquarium. He'd have been to the river within a minute running. I stood by the aquarium to watch the boats and then walked up the street to Arby's (which I think is gone now, but that was the fanciest Arby's I've ever seen in my life). I think I took this picture right in that area:

attachment.php
Yep! That's the exact spot. And I'm with you.... too much unknown to call it, either way! Wish the police would release more info.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If the swimming comment is true, then perhaps the drugs he was on altered his perception of the temperature.
Looks like it was pretty cold. Even on drugs going swimming in a river in the wee hours seems strange but then again people on drugs do strange things.
Not sure about the swimming comment, maybe they were just trying to lead the investigation on where they could find him.... IDK.
https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/new-orleans/historic?month=12&year=2016
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 5.50.38 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 5.50.38 PM.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 144
If the swimming comment is true, then perhaps the drugs he was on altered his perception of the temperature.
Looks like it was pretty cold. Even on drugs going swimming in a river in the wee hours seems strange but then again people on drugs do strange things.
Not sure about the swimming comment, maybe they were just trying to lead the investigation on where they could find him.... IDK.
https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/new-orleans/historic?month=12&year=2016
attachment.php
The Mississippi River in New Orleans is absolutely unswimmable. It has multiple currents and you get sucked under immediately. When I was in high school, a guy was on a riverboat dinner cruise. Told his friends to hold his watch and dove in to swim, they were close to shore. He never even came up for a single breath. Cold or hot, no matter. You're a dead duck, if you get in that water.

Maybe this was what I was remembering. Saying he was going to the river. Not going swimming in the river. See post #112

He ran a few blocks away and jumped into a cab, but after traveling a few blocks and repeatedly looking behind him, he asked to get out of the cab saying he was going to the “River”.

Edit - also, my post of #118 had updated info saying he jumped put by harrahs/ hilton riverside. I said then, it sounded like suicide (drug induced paranoia). If he had his clothes on from that night, that is still my strongest theory. He told people he thought he was going to die from the drugs that night.......

You know, the one thing that is really confusing is that no doubt there is video by the riverfront! Between harrahs, the aquarium, the ferry, hilton riverside..... I know that sucker is monitored. Maybe since the family was positive there were sightings, the video was not even reviewed. I don't know.

This case reminds me so much of another similar disappearance several years ago. A Houston executive was attending a conference here in NOLA, had a few drinks on Bourbon St., and disappeared. After about a week or so, it came out that a riverboat employee had seen him trying to climb onto the deck, or onto the gangway. I can't recall the exact details now. At any rate, Texas Equusearch was called in, and divers found his body lodged under a barge. As I recall, there were alleged sightings of him getting into a cab, and in the Bywater. But all along, the man had never left the vicinity of the Quarter and the Riverfront. Who knows what possessed him to venture where he did. I think the same about Mark.

Also, not too many years back, another man, a Jazz Fest visitor, was last seen at the ferry landing in Algiers, and later found in the Mississippi. And these are just a few cases that made the headlines.

Alcohol, drugs, and the draw of the River are a dangerous mix.

You know, the one thing that is really confusing is that no doubt there is video by the riverfront! Between harrahs, the aquarium, the ferry, hilton riverside..... I know that sucker is monitored. Maybe since the family was positive there were sightings, the video was not even reviewed. I don't know.

I think it's more likely that NOPD didn't take the case seriously in the beginning. An intoxicated young man goes missing on NYE? You know how that goes. It's like missing persons at Mardi Gras. The vast majority turn up embarrassed a couple of days later. And no one except family and friends is overly alarmed because it happens so frequently.

It's still hard to believe NOPD wouldn't have reviewed the videos at some point. Perhaps they did, but Marc couldn't be seen among the crowd. Or, he was obscured by the shadows. Or, it was too late, and footage was erased. I dunno. But you make a good point.

I think it's more likely that NOPD didn't take the case seriously in the beginning. An intoxicated young man goes missing on NYE? You know how that goes. It's like missing persons at Mardi Gras. The vast majority turn up embarrassed a couple of days later. And no one except family and friends is overly alarmed because it happens so frequently.

It's still hard to believe NOPD wouldn't have reviewed the videos at some point. Perhaps they did, but Marc couldn't be seen among the crowd. Or, he was obscured by the shadows. Or, it was too late, and footage was erased. I dunno. But you make a good point.
Very true. And as overworked as nopd are, I feel like giving them an out saying the person is probably off using drugs will allow them to put the case on the back burner while other things need to be handled.

I think of his dad so often. Even though the loss is greater than I can ever imagine, I am glad he was found so that part of the tragedy can be over.

Thank you! I guess "Tabloid" in my mind equates to gossip mag levels of reporting, and I couldn't find a legitimate website, just a Facebook page with a lot of complaints about the reporting on it, so I wasn't too sure if it was a real source or not.

(✂️SNIP-SNIP✂️)

An update by The NOLA Tabloid

(✂️SNIP-SNIP✂️)

(✂️ SNIP-SNIP✂️)

Anybody know if The NOLA Tabloid is legitimate reporting or just garbage? :waitasec:

(✂️SNIP-SNIP✂️)

FYI..

NOLA dot Com is their website and “NOLA” stands for New Orleans Louisiana, hence the “N.O.”+”LA”=NOLA

and

The Times Picayune is the longest running printed newspaper here in Louisiana and the NOLA’s website IS the digital version of the Times Picayune Newspaper.

As for that Facebook Page, while I have NOT read it, it sounds to me as if it is a parody/complaint page..sort of like how “the RipOffReport” is all about posting complaints about various businesses, etc. Regardless, still NOT a Tabloid.

The level of journalistic ability (and integrity in some cases), depends wholly upon which reporter is writing the piece, and they do have varying levels of reporting experience from fresh faces just out of journalism school to cantankerous reporters long in the tooth..

and “the Times”, “the Picayune”, “the NOLA website” are all terms for the same newspaper...

There is no “Tabloid” to NOLA.com *chuckles*

It’s not like the Enquirer (sp?) No “Pregnant woman gives birth to giant swamp snake”...NOLA/Times Picayune covers all aspects of local news from Politics/Crime Reports for the Various Parishes (U would call them counties)/to Local Festivals & random stories of general interest or off beat news.

As for news sources there is Action-17, WDSU, WGNO, News Channels, The Times-Picayune, the Advocate (originally was in Baton Rouge Only & known as the Baton Rouge Advocate, but started a New Orleans version, so it is the Advocate+Baton Rouge or New Orleans), otherwise there are other local news channels and more specialized newspapers or periodicals such as City Business (for biz news), the “Gambit” and/or “Antigravity” (for the local “scene” music&what’s happening where..

I just wanted to clear that up...Thanks!

Reached out to the NOLA.com reporter that's been following Mark's case to see if there were any updates available (BBM):

I wish I had some news to share with you on Mark Bakotic’s death, but unfortunately, I recently checked in with the coroner and was told that his cause of death/manner of death remains undetermined. I try to check in with the coroner every once in a while—and maybe I’ll ask NOPD again at some point about his death, but as far as I know, his death has not been classified as a homicide.

I’ve not had luck getting any more info on his death. I know this has to be really hard on his parents.

Reached out to the NOLA.com reporter that's been following Mark's case to see if there were any updates available (BBM):
Thank you!! That reporter did a good job on the story. When I went back and read it again yesterday, I was impressed, all over again :)

I've been following this case closely as I actually had met Mark and know many of his friends. There's still no information on how he died or anything else surrounding the circumstances of his death. As far as I know his family doesn't know how he actually died. Some have speculated foul play. I'm hoping the family and this community can find some answers

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crybaby6
Back