LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tap Tap Tap... still waiting on Mickey to come home..

So damn tired of all the bad people in this world taking our children. I dont care what she was doing on her ride that night! Nobody had the right to take her. Bring her back!!

Rant off. Grrr.

YES! I would like to know who it was that texted her. If it was a friend, you'd think they would have come forward already. I know that cell phone companies don't have what is said in a text, but they do have the number the text came from, since that is on the bill. Has LE looked into this yet?
They can get the verbage if need be I believe. Takes more time and effort as phone companies are hard to deal it at times. jmo and jme. I am sure they are all over those records.

Here's what makes sense to me about the phone getting shut off that night/early the next morning. She had a backpack with her. I'm sure that the perp went through her stuff, got her ID, any credit cards, cash, cell phone and pulled the battery out. Paranoia I'd suspect. Or he heard the phone ring and it started mania in his head. Dump the bike, lose the backpack, throw it in some random water drain or where ever. I know there are old coonasses that go to Whiskey Bay everyday. They are old and fishing is their life. That bike was not dumped the same night she was snatched. It was done late Friday night/early Saturday morning my best guess

I meant, it wouldn't have sat for a week without someone noticing it. Even if the grass was tall, there is no way a week passed without someone noticing that bike. It was put there shortly before getting discovered.

About the phone, MS could have turned the power off so there would be no record of where she was headed?! I'm not blaming the victim, but just trying to look at this objectively using the experience I have had raising two daughters that were he.. on wheels!

Shelly, there are other ways to help. Look for the car/trucks. Spread the word. Keep your eyes open!

Yeah there are lots of ways for people who cant participate in the searches to help.

However I must advise people to NOT go staking out neighborhoods and follow people around sleuthinh them. Ive been seeing this a lot lately while I sit on surveillance. I am licensed by the state to do so. If you arent, then it is against the law. And mainly, its because it can be very dangerous.

OT, but I just gotta ask: Do any of you Louisiana people remember a band named:
ANISETTE! Thanks.

I'm going to work up a new poster now for the car - a better one. I'll post it when I'm done.

I've been following this thread for a while so I know that you've done a ton of amazing sleuthing for Mickey. I do want to say though that you may want to take down the posters ASAP you posted that describes the car as a Cadillac. That could confuse people since it's actually an Olds they should be looking for, right? Also, I'd like to make one minor suggestion for the new posters - tags of paper at the bottom of poster/paper (like when people are trying to sell something) that provides the number to the tipline. That way, if someone knows something, they can just rip off a tag with the number - makes it easy peasy. I'm hoping that the police have already identified this car and have talked to the person. So much valuable time has passed already!!

Why does everyone always assumes a man did it? Why not a woman? or a man with a woman? A man could use another woman as bait to attract another woman over. It's been done before. I see it all the time going down at nightclubs.

Mickey most likely would of trusted a woman or a couple (man & woman) to drive her home or to the hospital more so than a single man if she was offered a ride or her bike was accidentally hit.

YES! I would like to know who it was that texted her. If it was a friend, you'd think they would have come forward already. I know that cell phone companies don't have what is said in a text, but they do have the number the text came from, since that is on the bill. Has LE looked into this yet?

Yes, LE checked out and verified Mickey's phone usage. They haven't said what the text was, or who it was from.

Folks, I just narrowed the car down a bit MORE:

It's a 1977-'84 Oldsmobile 98 Regency or Regency Brougham.

The reason I cannot narrow it down further is the body damage at the right-rear wheel well.

Had there been no damage, that car looks like a '77-'79, because in '80 they extended a large skirt over part of the rear wheel. BUT, if the skirt is missing, it could be up to an '84

But those are the years the cops need to search - 1977-1984. It's definitely one of those.

Has anyone asked LE if they want posters of the car put up?

I once told one of my sons that I was going to completely lose it if he answered me just one more time with, yeah whatever.

That kid looked me in the eye and said "Whatever, Mom! sheesh, you don't have to go all crazy!"

Lol

Sweet Revenge: I now use that term when I feel the need on my 40 something daughter. Yes, Revenge is sweet!

I've been following this thread for a while so I know that you've done a ton of amazing sleuthing for Mickey. I do want to say though that you may want to take down the posters ASAP you posted that describes the car as a Cadillac. That could confuse people since it's actually an Olds they should be looking for, right? Also, I'd like to make one minor suggestion for the new posters - tags of paper at the bottom of poster/paper (like when people are trying to sell something) that provides the number to the tipline. That way, if someone knows something, they can just rip off a tag with the number - makes it easy peasy. I'm hoping that the police have already identified this car and have talked to the person. So much valuable time has passed already!!

Yes, I'm going to do that.

But I DID list the car on the poster as a Caddy OR an Olds 98 - so they could still be doing some good.

Yeah there are lots of ways for people who cant participate in the searches to help.

However I must advise people to NOT go staking out neighborhoods and follow people around sleuthinh them. Ive been seeing this a lot lately while I sit on surveillance. I am licensed by the state to do so. If you arent, then it is against the law. And mainly, its because it can be very dangerous.

But on a side note, it is pretty funny to see a bunch of cars sitting around that obviously dont belong, and then as soon as a white truck passes theres a parade of vehicles following it. :D

Why does everyone always assumes a man did it? Why not a woman? or a man with a woman? A man could use another woman as bait to attract another woman over. It's been done before. I see it all the time going down at nightclubs.

Mickey most likely would of trusted a woman or a couple (man & woman) to drive her home or to the hospital more so than a single man if she was offered a ride or her bike was accidentally hit.

Melissa Jenkins was abducted by a couple. In fact, it was the wife of the man who called her to lure her out of the house.

Great idea about the tags. It'll take me a little while on Photoshop, but I'm pretty quick with it.

What bothers me a lot is how the public is being told to look for an "'80s-'90s" 4-door."

That car is NO WAY a '90s car.

It's a '70s-'80s car!!

They can't be putting out a wrong description to the public if they want to find that car!

I have been reading this since the beginning, as I am 5'3" 115#s and have been riding my bike in this exact area for the last 14 years!! I've lived in Lafayette all of my life and know it like the back of my hand. I have left the area of Ryan street MANY times (especially when I was Mickey's age) after having either been at a "show" or work. If I needed to leave downtown and get to the Saint Streets or Congress near Cajun Field, I would go down St. John and cross University AT THE LIGHT!! Not only is Parkside dark and creepy at night, it's a blind and ruthless curve on University and not where you'd want to be on a bike at night. Also, if you crossed there, you end up with a BIG empty (at night) school and a coulee. So, after crossing University, I would ride just past the city hall/Consolidated gov. building, and as crazy as it seems, I'd cross through that back parking lot (which is employee parking) and hop on to Azalea right there. I'd cross St. Mary and continue on and generally I'd take Saint Patrick over to the top of Parkside, which is almost to the Cajun Dome, where I could then get on Congress. I know it seems like a detour, but it's really not, and it's a great way to avoid the drunks on the road AND the dark deserted Coliseum Rd. If I were going to take Johnston, I would have continued up St. Landry to St. Julien, and hit Johnston there. I didn't really ride on Johnston then, because there were no "bike lanes" at the time. I'm not sure if LE has Mickey on the other camera on St. Landry, or not, but I've been thinking the whole time that she's not on those cameras, because she skips over to Azalea. Does the Consolidated gov/ City Hall only have cameras in the front of their building? It seems like they'd have one on the backside too, where employee parking is. Also, this is a little strange, but my husband and I stopped at Whiskey Bay on Friday afternoon with our boys on the way back from Baton Rouge to hike. Seriously. It's beautiful. It's a wildlife management area. There are tons of migratory birds. There are alligators. All kinds of awesome things that little boys love. I mentioned to my husband while we were there, that I wished I had flyers with me and how shocked I was that there was not ONE!!! ANYWHERE!! Trust me, I was looking. I was also looking for any sign of Mickey. None. There were boats that I was sure were looking, but most were just guys fishing. If we're ever on our way back from Baton Rouge around sunset, we always stop there to watch it. That area is not a "dumping ground". There is a fair amount of trash etc. right off of the interstate, but all in all it's pretty. It's not where I'd go alone, as my iphone won't work on the trails, and I'd never go at night. (mainly bc of wildlife AND BUGS!!!) so...

Not true. I think a vegan on WS earlier said vegans can eat the Fresca bean burritos and some other stuff. Seems to be that anything with beans ordered with no cheese would be ok- nachos (no meat) and bean burritos, pintos, etc.

Good to know. I haven't been to Taco Bell in over a decade and I was just stating what I read/heard about Brettly. Obviously, the reporting was inaccurate regarding vegan options at Taco Bell.

I'm new to this case. I've been trying to catch up and read the older threads but I haven't found where M was before she left. Was she at someone's house? A friend's? Why was she out so late? Was she headed home? Did she routinely ride her bike that late at night? Does she have a boyfriend?

Sorry so many questions, I just want to get caught up. TIA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
esig