LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just spoke to the tip line. They asked me to e-mail all the info about the car to a specific detective. Let me go dark here for awhile to do the Photoshop work,

BBL

I'm new to this case. I've been trying to catch up and read the older threads but I haven't found where M was before she left. Was she at someone's house? A friend's? Why was she out so late? Was she headed home? Did she routinely ride her bike that late at night? Does she have a boyfriend?

Sorry so many questions, I just want to get caught up. TIA!

Hey, welcome, Google "Mickey Shunick" and read some of the news stories. The questions you are asking are the basic ones that have been out in public since the beginning and it'll be quicker for you to get up to speed that way.

I'm new to this case. I've been trying to catch up and read the older threads but I haven't found where M was before she left. Was she at someone's house? A friend's? Why was she out so late? Was she headed home? Did she routinely ride her bike that late at night? Does she have a boyfriend?

Sorry so many questions, I just want to get caught up. TIA!

she was at a male friend of her's
yes she normally rode her bike that late.
She was headed home.

I have been reading this since the beginning, as I am 5'3" 115#s and have been riding my bike in this exact area for the last 14 years!! I've lived in Lafayette all of my life and know it like the back of my hand. I have left the area of Ryan street MANY times (especially when I was Mickey's age) after having either been at a "show" or work. If I needed to leave downtown and get to the Saint Streets or Congress near Cajun Field, I would go down St. John and cross University AT THE LIGHT!! Not only is Parkside dark and creepy at night, it's a blind and ruthless curve on University and not where you'd want to be on a bike at night. Also, if you crossed there, you end up with a BIG empty (at night) school and a coulee. So, after crossing University, I would ride just past the city hall/Consolidated gov. building, and as crazy as it seems, I'd cross through that back parking lot (which is employee parking) and hop on to Azalea right there. I'd cross St. Mary and continue on and generally I'd take Saint Patrick over to the top of Parkside, which is almost to the Cajun Dome, where I could then get on Congress. I know it seems like a detour, but it's really not, and it's a great way to avoid the drunks on the road AND the dark deserted Coliseum Rd. If I were going to take Johnston, I would have continued up St. Landry to St. Julien, and hit Johnston there. I didn't really ride on Johnston then, because there were no "bike lanes" at the time. I'm not sure if LE has Mickey on the other camera on St. Landry, or not, but I've been thinking the whole time that she's not on those cameras, because she skips over to Azalea. Does the Consolidated gov/ City Hall only have cameras in the front of their building? It seems like they'd have one on the backside too, where employee parking is. Also, this is a little strange, but my husband and I stopped at Whiskey Bay on Friday afternoon with our boys on the way back from Baton Rouge to hike. Seriously. It's beautiful. It's a wildlife management area. There are tons of migratory birds. There are alligators. All kinds of awesome things that little boys love. I mentioned to my husband while we were there, that I wished I had flyers with me and how shocked I was that there was not ONE!!! ANYWHERE!! Trust me, I was looking. I was also looking for any sign of Mickey. None. There were boats that I was sure were looking, but most were just guys fishing. If we're ever on our way back from Baton Rouge around sunset, we always stop there to watch it. That area is not a "dumping ground". There is a fair amount of trash etc. right off of the interstate, but all in all it's pretty. It's not where I'd go alone, as my iphone won't work on the trails, and I'd never go at night. (mainly bc of wildlife AND BUGS!!!) so...

Welcome to websleuths! These posts by locals are wonderful. Thank you to all who are helping. I'm far away on the west coast and these descriptive posts are great.

:wagon::Welcome1:

I have been reading this since the beginning, as I am 5'3" 115#s and have been riding my bike in this exact area for the last 14 years!! I've lived in Lafayette all of my life and know it like the back of my hand. I have left the area of Ryan street MANY times (especially when I was Mickey's age) after having either been at a "show" or work. If I needed to leave downtown and get to the Saint Streets or Congress near Cajun Field, I would go down St. John and cross University AT THE LIGHT!! Not only is Parkside dark and creepy at night, it's a blind and ruthless curve on University and not where you'd want to be on a bike at night. Also, if you crossed there, you end up with a BIG empty (at night) school and a coulee. So, after crossing University, I would ride just past the city hall/Consolidated gov. building, and as crazy as it seems, I'd cross through that back parking lot (which is employee parking) and hop on to Azalea right there. I'd cross St. Mary and continue on and generally I'd take Saint Patrick over to the top of Parkside, which is almost to the Cajun Dome, where I could then get on Congress. I know it seems like a detour, but it's really not, and it's a great way to avoid the drunks on the road AND the dark deserted Coliseum Rd. If I were going to take Johnston, I would have continued up St. Landry to St. Julien, and hit Johnston there. I didn't really ride on Johnston then, because there were no "bike lanes" at the time. I'm not sure if LE has Mickey on the other camera on St. Landry, or not, but I've been thinking the whole time that she's not on those cameras, because she skips over to Azalea. Does the Consolidated gov/ City Hall only have cameras in the front of their building? It seems like they'd have one on the backside too, where employee parking is. Also, this is a little strange, but my husband and I stopped at Whiskey Bay on Friday afternoon with our boys on the way back from Baton Rouge to hike. Seriously. It's beautiful. It's a wildlife management area. There are tons of migratory birds. There are alligators. All kinds of awesome things that little boys love. I mentioned to my husband while we were there, that I wished I had flyers with me and how shocked I was that there was not ONE!!! ANYWHERE!! Trust me, I was looking. I was also looking for any sign of Mickey. None. There were boats that I was sure were looking, but most were just guys fishing. If we're ever on our way back from Baton Rouge around sunset, we always stop there to watch it. That area is not a "dumping ground". There is a fair amount of trash etc. right off of the interstate, but all in all it's pretty. It's not where I'd go alone, as my iphone won't work on the trails, and I'd never go at night. (mainly bc of wildlife AND BUGS!!!) so...

I also wondered if she cut through to Azalea but people kept saying that she wouldn't have done that because Azalea is very dark and not a very safe neighborhood. Would you agree? I wonder if the perp was able to get her while she was riding through the city hall parking lot, and that's why the people driving the Olds didn't see anything.

Why does everyone always assumes a man did it? Why not a woman? or a man with a woman? A man could use another woman as bait to attract another woman over. It's been done before. I see it all the time going down at nightclubs.

Mickey most likely would of trusted a woman or a couple (man & woman) to drive her home or to the hospital more so than a single man if she was offered a ride or her bike was accidentally hit.

You make a very good point. I've thought about the xgf of BW. Not accusing her at all, but all bases should be covered. Didn't BW say she was a friend of MS before...and that's how he met her? Then in the "inaudible" long interview, didn't BW say that her and Mickey were estranged now? I just can't get past the thought that someone did not want her moving to NO...or with BW. They were going to proceed with the move the 1st of June right? Were classes already over for the summer when she went missing?

How many females do we have in gangs over the past two decades..........

There you have it. I think the flyer was posted by the news media for "effect" while filming the scene.

Take classes.....please. The unfortunate fact about mace, taser or a gun...is if you don't have it in your hand and someone comes from behind or grabs you before you can reach it...it does no good..or they may be able to take a weapon from you and use it on you. My mother always told me to have a shotgun in the house because you couldn't miss and could fire before they got close.....only to make *dang* sure they had stepped over the threshold first. LOL

I'd think self defense, just to get loose and run is the best, but I guess each person may react differently. I don't think I'd scream..because I'd be too busy trying to fight and hurt, but who knows how I would react if it actually happened....... might begin screaming FIRE repeatedly. ???

I didn't like riding my bike in traffic...and I loved to trail run before it became really popular...and did so alone. It really, really, really pizzes me off when a case like this hits.....because your freedom to do those things have been taken away. It was my way (alone) of letting off steam and getting rid of stress; taking in God's creations....and I really couldn't do that with a partner insinc. :furious:

respectfully BBM.....

Do we have the same mother? LOL!

While we wait on more info, at least Mickey's disappearance has opened a dialogue about ways for women to protect and empower themselves.

moo

wm

I also wondered if she cut through to Azalea but people kept saying that she wouldn't have done that because Azalea is very dark and not a very safe neighborhood. Would you agree? I wonder if the perp was able to get her while she was riding through the city hall parking lot, and that's why the people driving the Olds didn't see anything.

This makes me think of my original post where my theory landed that the truck waited for her to show up in the St. Streets via University. I think the guy might have made a left into the St. Streets, where he would be able to slow down and wait if need be without oncoming traffic. University is parallel to St. Mary, but St. Mary is less busy at that time of night, and a bit darker too.

What would be the good reason for withholding more evidence from the public?

To protect the integrity of the investigation. To not tip a person of interest off that LE may have evidence against them. To protect the victim, and maybe to protect the victim's family.

Any or all of those a excellent reasons for withholding evidence from the public.

I was searching on I-10 and whiskey bay bridge wed or thursday and there was nothing in the area. we were at night so all we could do was toss flyers on the ground to let people know we had been there. we bushwacked and tossed flyers; maybe the fisherman picked those up. hopefully...

Do you think the bike was dropped off after Friday?

I agree with everything you have written. The only question I have is if this "Professional" had a legit reason for omitting certain searchers from future searches, it sure would have been nice of then to give the omitted parties a reason. Feeling do get hurt when emotions are riding high. I would think that after a person spent days in the field searching, if told not to "ever" return they would be pulled aside and given the courtesy of a reason. IMHO

Other than being in poor shape for hiking, or it being recognized that its taking a financial/emotional toll I cannot think of any reason to turn a person away. But that is just me.... Thank you for you input...:)

The other reason I can think of is that searchers may be speaking out of turn about evidence that has or has not been recovered. That is another reason why someone would be asked NOT to return. I'm not saying anyone is doing that, I'm just saying it's a valid concern.

JMO, IMO, :moo:, and all other disclaimers....

To protect the integrity of the investigation. To not tip a person of interest off that LE may have evidence against them. To protect the victim, and maybe to protect the victim's family.

Any or all of those a excellent reasons for withholding evidence from the public.

Precisely this.

I'm going to work up a new poster now for the car - a better one. I'll post it when I'm done.

Yay! I was just about to ask you to do that!
I think we really need an updated missing poster with pics of Mickey and the car (and maybe the trucks too, but people seem to know more about this)

YES! I would like to know who it was that texted her. If it was a friend, you'd think they would have come forward already. I know that cell phone companies don't have what is said in a text, but they do have the number the text came from, since that is on the bill. Has LE looked into this yet?

All phone companies have dedicated departments that can itemize a user's records including duration, carrier codes, cell tower pinged and caller information etc. -- it's quite detailed down to the split second. LE makes requests of this nature all the time and most certainly they would have had those specifics by the middle of last week.

Could someone have sent a text to Mickey from a pre-paid "phantom" phone and would it be virtually untraceable? If this Unsub was on the periphery of Mickey's life he could have her phone number (from school, bike club, horse activities) and might have been watching her and was possibly jealous of all her close-knit university friends and their activities (ergo BW's stolen bike).

A text could have simply said, "Are you on your way home?" and that may have prompted her to leave right after eating with BW. I keep hearing BW's comment in my head (paraphrasing here) -- "I don't think YOU realize what YOU'VE done and what a special person this is".

I doff my hat to you car buffs and your brilliant collaboration last night. Well done!

What bothers me a lot is how the public is being told to look for an "'80s-'90s" 4-door."

That car is NO WAY a '90s car.

It's a '70s-'80s car!!

They can't be putting out a wrong description to the public if they want to find that car!

Unless someone is into cars, it would be better for them to memorize the image of the car rather than focus on it's year of make. You could maybe circle the make where it appears on the car on the poster....add 911 to that tag too. jmo

Okay, I think I've got the (very) basics down. Did B say if she was intoxicated at all after being out that night?

That's what I thought when I saw the videos and news reports of everyone wanting to help find Mickey. Seemed to me like some people were only showing up for free food...

Some people seemed to be just standing around eating chips and what not, not really doing anything. How is that helping?

Well...some people are stationed at headquarters, signing in volunteers, helping people to unload things out of vehicles, others are in search parties but waiting for the team to head out, some have just gotten back from searches, some are waiting there for various reasons, such as planning to meet with someone else who has just picked up the newest flyers from being printed, etc. There are always lots of people "hanging" around but I don't think anyone is just there for the free food. If so, what nerve!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Findhim