LA - Officer fatally shoots Alton Sterling outside store, Baton Rouge, 2016

Why would it matter? Tenants have full rights to the property, more than the Landlord. I have rental property and I cannot enter unless there is a bona fide emergency that I better be able to damn well prove if there is a dispute. The tenant can also order me, the owner, off the property and I have to go, just as if I order someone off my property at home. Yes, I could then move to evict them, but until they are out of the property that is all I can do about it.

I agree completely. I was responding to this: "Does the tenant have the right to give permission for a protest on private property that doesn't belong to them? Do we know if the landlord gave permission?"

There's a big difference between police protecting themselves and using unnecessary force. I don't condone violence by anyone, including protesters, and the organizers of the protests have said the same.

There are so many people that just will never accept that LE can be in the wrong. When, clearly, they can and, all too often, are.

That statement does not mean that I would in any way condone violence against the police. But until everyone can stop pretending that all cops are perfect, we will never be able to address the problems with them and work to improve it.

There are bad cops. There are bad doctors, accountants and teachers. However, as a general rule, doctors, accountants and teachers are not armed and have no authority to arrest people. That is where the inherent danger lies.

Get rid of the bad cops, Not by violence, but by charging them when they break the law, and then convicting them when the evidence is overwhelming. Honor, appreciate and respect the good cops. It's not that hard.

I would think the good cops would appreciate it in the long run.

Police are not always right but these protests are pretty much over the line...ask yourself if you'd want this stuff in YOUR neighborhood. I'd dang well want a whole bunch of cops on my street. And I'd want them whatever they were protesting, celebrating, whatever.

The right to peaceful assembly is not without restrictions to begin with. Pretty sure no permit would ever be issued for a freeway or in front of a police department so both would be illegal.

There are so many people that just will never accept that LE can be in the wrong. When, clearly, they can and, all too often, are.

That statement does not mean that I would in any way condone violence against the police. But until everyone can stop pretending that all cops are perfect, we will never be able to address the problems with them and work to improve it.

There are bad cops. There are bad doctors, accountants and teachers. However, as a general rule, doctors, accountants and teachers are not armed and have no authority to arrest people. That is where the inherent danger lies.

Get rid of the bad cops, Not by violence, but by charging them when they break the law, and then convicting them when the evidence is overwhelming. Honor, appreciate and respect the good cops. It's not that hard.

I would think the good cops would appreciate it in the long run.

Yes, yes, yes. NOLA published an article last week about the ongoing problems in Baton Rouge. It links to this Associated Press article:

[FONT=&amp]Out-of-state troopers accused Baton Rouge police of harassing black people, illegal searches and unnecessary violence in the days after Hurricane Katrina, according to reports obtained by a Baton Rouge newspaper.

The reports were obtained through a public records lawsuit by The Advocate, which published the results Sunday. State police from New Mexico and Michigan reported the behavior when they pulled 55 of their troopers out after two days of helping local police deal with hurricane evacuees in September 2005.

Troopers described Baton Rouge officers as being loud and rude to African-Americans but polite to whites. It quotes one as saying Baton Rouge officers referred to black people as "animals" that needed to be beaten down. Troopers also reported that officers said they were ordered to make life rough for New Orleans evacuees so they would leave town, the newspaper said.

<snip>

New Mexico state police Maj. Daniel Lopez wrote to the police department in September 2005, laying out the concerns of seven New Mexico troopers and five from Michigan. They included racially motivated enforcement; physically abusing prisoners and the public; and stopping, questioning and searching people without any legal justification.[/FONT]

Imagine the stress a good officer must feel while working in an environment like that and how likely such a department is to attract and retain more good officers. The attitude of the chief of police is so important as Dallas Police Chief David Brown has shown and crime rates have dropped significantly since he took the helm.

Police are not always right but these protests are pretty much over the line...ask yourself if you'd want this stuff in YOUR neighborhood. I'd dang well want a whole bunch of cops on my street. And I'd want them whatever they were protesting, celebrating, whatever.

I have no problems with non-violent protesters. OTOH, I would very much have a problem with aggressive police, in or out of riot gear, in my neighborhood, especially if they were driving an armored personnel carrier and using a sound cannon unless they had a very good reason to, eg, a hostage situation. Protests aren't new to the country and how best for police to respond isn't new either.

The New Black Panthers are just riff-raff, imo. They have a history of being "party crashers". To me they rate on an equivalency scale with some of the neo-nazi groups. The SPLC has them listed as a hate group, I think. Most people don't hang out with them.

With that said, here is a very good piece about Baton Rouge today in The New York Times:

The City Where I Live and Where Alton Sterling Died
By CHRISTOPHER J. TYSON
JULY 11, 2016

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/o...-where-alton-sterling-died.html?smid=tw-share

Baton Rouge, La. — “IF you grew up black in Baton Rouge, La., you know the street corner where Alton B. Sterling lost his life last week. For me, it’s on the other end of the neighborhood in which my father opened his law practice before becoming a judge. It’s down the street from my current church and up the street from where I first started a youth mentoring program. From now on, however, the image of my city includes that of a visibly restrained man being shot at point blank range, then left to bleed to death while members of our police force picked his pockets for a gun.”

“I feel truly blessed to have been born and raised in Baton Rouge and to be bringing up my young children here. I would love to tell you about our rituals around family, food and football. Despite our many virtues, we are a community with a long, troubled racial past. Much of the Baton Rouge we experience today is a direct consequence of that past. We were home to the first organized bus boycott of the civil rights movement and the nation’s longest-running school desegregation case. The latter distinction continues to shape our city in profound ways.

Present-day Baton Rouge is essentially two cities. One is south Baton Rouge: a prosperous and amenity-filled, predominantly white and middle-class network of cul-de-sac neighborhoods and upscale shopping centers. The other is north Baton Rouge: a marginalized and forgotten collection of the city’s older neighborhoods and neglected infrastructure. It is largely poor and black and it is where Mr. Sterling’s life came to a tragic, unnecessary end.”​

I've always heard a person is known by the company they keep.

If you call a protest that throws cement blocks at cops to be 'non violent' then we will have to disagree. No one from Black Lives Matter has indicated that they did not want the Panthers to be there and it sure didn't look like any in the protest disagreed with their march on the police department...

I've always heard a person is known by the company they keep.

If they didn't want the New Black Panther Party there they wouldn't be there, imo. They have come to other protests before so this isn't the first time. They usually show up in full gear with semi-automatic rifles with a bullet strap loaded with bullets across their chest.

With trouble known to erupt right out of the blue without warning and going from peaceful to violent in the recent days I would feel a lot more comfort to see LE in my area in full riot gear and the armored vehicles have never bothered me either. Thank goodness though no one is protesting in our city/county or anywhere close.

I wish some of the Dallas police officers had all been wearing their full riot gear including their protective helmets and maybe if they had had an armored vehicle standing by that night they could have closed in on the mass murderer much sooner using the armored vehicle as protection.

We saw where in the Orlando mass shooting a police helmet is what saved an officer's life when the bullet buried itself in the helmet instead of his skull/brain. If they had been protected like they all should have been then maybe some of the innocent police officers' lives could have been saved in Dallas as well.

At this tense time I believe all police protecting the protestors should all do whatever is necessary to protect themselves from being assaulted or worse. We owe it to our officers to give them the best equipment they need to keep them safe as possible in these very dangerous times they are all facing...............not take that life saving equipment away from them.

I read that one of the officers' that was struck by a rock thrown over one of the overpasses by one of the protestors was critically injured when the rock did major damage to his spine. Just that one uncalled for and senseless act of violence could end the police officer's career.:(

Imo, the police now never know from minute to minute if a protest is going to remain peaceful or erupt into more violence.

My heart goes out to all of them. I don't know how they keep their wits about them when they know they can become targets at anytime. Already we have police officers who have been shot in several states and some even have died since the Dallas massacre just this past Thursday night.

All cops are living in very dangerous times now and even those who aren't cops but are of a particular race are also living in dangerous times. A 44 year old totally innocent white woman was murdered in TN because she happened to be white.

Other than the ones protesting and the police who are protecting them I would try to avoid those areas completely if I lived in any of these areas.

How can they block major highways? How is that legal when ambulances/fire/police and emergency responders need those highways open in case of emergencies which are always happening?

I can't believe anyone is even shaming the police for wearing protective gear anymore. Haven't we learned that they need protection? I mean, we understand that football players need helmets and pads and humans need seat belts, right? I can't imagine being shamed for using life saving gear. That baby should really stop being such a scaredy cat and get out of that infant seat, right?

Protesters on a public sidewalk and on private property with permission, police move in anyway

Here's What It's Actually Like at the #BlackLivesMatter Protests in Baton Rouge Right Now

Multiple sources report that the #BlackLivesMatter protests in Baton Rouge have been very peaceful this week, yet police presence has been excessive and many officers unnecessarily violent. ...

Shot by 22-year-old journalist Elizabeth Thomas, the video depicts a terrifying police barricade closing in on a group of peaceful protesters, before the officers suddenly turn violent and start arresting people out of nowhere. ...

"The protests have been extremely peaceful," Thomas said. "It's funny because until the Dallas shootings, there was minimal police presence at all. I was at a march on Friday at the Triple S Food Mart where Alton Sterling died, and there were no police."

[video=youtube;IwK-E1iC2v8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwK-E1iC2v8[/video]​

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/politic...es-matter-elizabeth-thomas-video-baton-rouge/

There is more to this story. That neighborhood is next to the interstate that the protesters were trying to access. The police were there to block their access and keep them from entering the interstate. They allowed them to protest in that area for several hours. At approximately 7:30 pm they asked the group to disperse. I'm sure not everyone in that subdivision wanted that ruckus and especially after dark imo. Those protesters were in many of the neighboring yards (private property). They didn't access the porch and the house until LE rushed them. When the homeowner came out and said this is private property and they were welcome there, LE backed off. You don't see that in the video.

The Investigators: Store owner sues Baton Rouge police, city for illegal seizure, detainment

http://www.wafb.com/story/32419704/...ge-police-city-for-illegal-seizure-detainment

According to the lawsuit, Muflahi was detained in the back of a BRPD unit for about four hours after Salamoni and Lake told other officers to hold him in custody despite Muflahi only being a witness to the incident. It claims that Muflahi never broke any laws.

Muflahi claims in the lawsuit that after Sterling died, his security system and surveillance was illegally seized without a warrant by Salamoni, Ballard and Cook. The lawsuit also states that Muflahi's cell phone was also confiscated illegally without permission or a warrant which prevented him from being able to call his family or attorney.

There is more to this story. That neighborhood is next to the interstate that the protesters were trying to access. The police were there to block their access and keep them from entering the interstate. They allowed them to protest in that area for several hours. At approximately 7:30 pm they asked the group to disperse. I'm sure not everyone in that subdivision wanted that ruckus and especially after dark imo. Those protesters were in many of the neighboring yards (private property). They didn't access the porch and the house until LE rushed them. When the homeowner came out and said this is private property and they were welcome there, LE backed off. You don't see that in the video.

OMG

What in the world are these protesters trying to prove by getting on the interstate highways? Do they want to be ran over so they can blame the LE for not protecting them?

They should have been at home watching Dr Drew this evening with Dallas Police Chief David Brown speaking. &#128557;&#128557;&#128557;

Also Anderson Cooper had the black surgeon talking about trying to save the 5 LE officers.

Both were heartbreaking, I cried &#128557;

PEOPLE JUST GO HOME AND BE THANKFUL YOU ARE ALIVE &#8252;&#65039;

All JMO &#128046;

RIP Fallen Heroes and other victims &#127801;

The Investigators: Store owner sues Baton Rouge police, city for illegal seizure, detainment

http://www.wafb.com/story/32419704/...ge-police-city-for-illegal-seizure-detainment

According to the lawsuit, Muflahi was detained in the back of a BRPD unit for about four hours after Salamoni and Lake told other officers to hold him in custody despite Muflahi only being a witness to the incident. It claims that Muflahi never broke any laws.

Muflahi claims in the lawsuit that after Sterling died, his security system and surveillance was illegally seized without a warrant by Salamoni, Ballard and Cook. The lawsuit also states that Muflahi's cell phone was also confiscated illegally without permission or a warrant which prevented him from being able to call his family or attorney.

Thanks BBLA &#128512;

I linked the copy of the lawsuit filed by Muflahi, no offense meant but he certainly appears to be on the news as much as the video of Sterling &#129300;

http://wafb.images.worldnow.com/library/68ddf7f4-d236-42c7-8a34-7edb9d8e2326.pdf

JMO &#128046;

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back