LA LA - Renita Menzies, 52, Lacombe, 5 Oct 2010

I can relate, my father died in a trailer fire in 1971 and to this day we have never gotten any idea of what happened. The case went from suicide, homicide, to accidental. I fear this family will never find out what happened. To the family and friends, so sorry for your pain.

I'm sorry for your loss, too, Lera.

It's hard for the people who are left behind, but I guess sometimes there aren't answers.

A leased car is not the same as a rented car.
You're absolutely right. Thank you for pointing that out. It makes a big difference when considering motive and state of mind. News articles have reported both rental car and leased car, and I should've asked is she could clear that up for us. But I typed very quickly, hoping tinydancer would answer before she signed off.

I can relate, my father died in a trailer fire in 1971 and to this day we have never gotten any idea of what happened. The case went from suicide, homicide, to accidental. I fear this family will never find out what happened. To the family and friends, so sorry for your pain.
I am so sorry, Lera. I've lost two dear ones to suicide. Even though both left notes, there was still a lot of doubt in the beginning, especially in my brother's case. The sudden death of a loved one is always hard to accept, a hundred times so when it's suicide. I still have a niggling bit of doubt about my brother, but for the most part, I've accepted both deaths. I can't imagine never having a resolution.

This article is from October 8th but it hasn't been posted yet. Some interesting statements:

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2010/10/suicide_may_explain_death_in_f.html

Suicide may explain death in fiery car, St. Tammany Parish Sheriff Jack Strain says

"Investigators with the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office are leaning toward suicide as the most likely explanation for a body found in a burning car in Lacombe on Tuesday night, Sheriff Jack Strain said...."

and

"...."There is nothing to indicate, no type of evidence that would indicate a murder, " he said. "But certainly, murderers are clever individuals and they do things to cover their tracks. We will wait for a final determination from the coroner's office to make our final decisions....."

more at link (also some interesting comments)

Have we heard a final determination by the coroner?

Talked to an acquaintance of mine who is a retired LEO. He said that if that place is a dump area, she could have parked over almost anything explosive or flammable -- leaves, paper, old paint rags, an aerosol can, somebody's old cigarette lighter. He says the design of newer cars, with the fuel pump in the fuel tank, actually make it more likely a car will explode after it starts to burn, if the engine was running. At least his experience had been that car fires are fairly common these days.

Very similar to what my husband said, carbuff, but why aren't we hearing of more? And why was this woman in the back seat? Weren't some of the young men in Utah in the back seat or in the passenger seat?

I think there's "possible" and then there's "probable". This still seems strange to me. Can a local look at Lake Road on a map and see where she was parked? Is it on a dumping ground?

An interesting forum discussion of suicide by car fire:

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-30596.html

LOTS of very interesting comments by those knowledgeable about fire. I wonder if this forum will discuss Renita's and Virginia's deaths by car fire?

A couple of other articles of possible interest:

http://www.fdnntv.com/Sublimity-Firefighters-Suicide-Car-Fire

http://www.norwalkreflector.com/content/breaking-news-suicide-suspected-wal-mart-car-fire

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/04/by_george_graham_ggrahamrepubc_9.html

You learn something new, every day, on WS.

Missizzy, I remember back when Susan Powell went missing from UT, many of following the news there were seeing a rash of suicides by fire in a car...can't remember all the details but IIRC there were at least 4 w/i a short period of time (like 2 months or less).

It was hard to believe then & hard to believe now that this is how people could choose to end their lives, but I guess it happens.

Also, I watched a very interesting show on The Body Farm last nite - they were discussing a suicide by fire & were able to determine that it wasn't suicide because they tested the bones via GCMS & found accelerant.

I hope all investigations use as much technology as possible to confirm these mysterious 'undetermined' COD cases so that families don't always have to wonder what happened.

Very similar to what my husband said, carbuff, but why aren't we hearing of more? And why was this woman in the back seat? Weren't some of the young men in Utah in the back seat or in the passenger seat?

I think there's "possible" and then there's "probable". This still seems strange to me. Can a local look at Lake Road on a map and see where she was parked? Is it on a dumping ground?

Because it doesn't make the news when a car catches on fire and the person gets out in time? I dunno.

Talked to an acquaintance of mine who is a retired LEO. He said that if that place is a dump area, she could have parked over almost anything explosive or flammable -- leaves, paper, old paint rags, an aerosol can, somebody's old cigarette lighter. He says the design of newer cars, with the fuel pump in the fuel tank, actually make it more likely a car will explode after it starts to burn, if the engine was running. At least his experience had been that car fires are fairly common these days.
That makes a lot of sense, but I don't think it fits this case. The reports say the car was at the end of Lake Rd. I don't know the exact spot, but I've been down that road a few times. It's an open road in a marsh that leads to Lake Pontchartrain mostly used by fishermen. Here are a couple of photos.

lakeroadlacombe2.jpg

lakeroadlacombe.jpg

I will say that the weeks prior to Renita's death were unseasonably dry.

I knew this woman well. She was depressed over the years but this being suicide makes absolutely no sense. I just learned of her death last night and i am in complete shock. My heart goes out to her poor children. They have all been through so much. The news makes her out be a a depressed drug addict which she was not. Her home was not foreclosed, They had recently finished rebuilding it after it was demolished by hurricane Katrina. A sweet family. She will be missed. I just hope she is at peace. I sincerely hope they find the answer to her deaths so that her children might have some closure on the matter. Man what a horrific image this all is.

Welcome to WS someoneclose.

Learning about this must have been a real shock for you. I'm so sorry.

I hope they do find answers. I agree, her family needs closure.

Tinydancer, do you know where Renita had been that day? And any idea why she was in a rented car? I understand if you don't want to answer.
It wasn't a rented car it was a lease she had.
I have no idea where she was that day. My friend said she had missed work that day but no one she knows seems to know where she was.

I knew this woman well. She was depressed over the years but this being suicide makes absolutely no sense. I just learned of her death last night and i am in complete shock. My heart goes out to her poor children. They have all been through so much. The news makes her out be a a depressed drug addict which she was not. Her home was not foreclosed, They had recently finished rebuilding it after it was demolished by hurricane Katrina. A sweet family. She will be missed. I just hope she is at peace. I sincerely hope they find the answer to her deaths so that her children might have some closure on the matter. Man what a horrific image this all is.

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, especially under such tragic circumstances.

Here is a link to the article with pics of Renita's car and 1 of where it was parked. I hope this link works since I can't figure out how to post pictures. You can see she was parked on top of hard sand right in front of Lake Pontchartrain.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/northshore/Slidell-woman-identified-as-body-found-in-burning-car-104497464.html?gallery=y&c=y&img=5#gallery-image[/URL]

tinydancer....I'm going to re-post your link..I couldn't get that one to work. Thanks a bunch......I don't know how to post photos either! (wish I did!)

http://www.wwltv.com/news/national/...497464.html?gallery=y&img=4&c=y#gallery-image

First 5 pictures.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 18
  • 4.jpg