GUILTY LA - Shooting on Danziger Bridge, 2 dead, 4 hurt, New Orleans, 4 Sept 2005

If you have a link provide it

Actually, the link is in post 46 of this thread...

A National Guard military policeman was shot in the leg as the two scuffled for the MP's rifle, police Capt. Ernie Demmo said. The man was arrested.

Also from the link I provided earlier...

Nagin ordered virtually the entire police force to abandon search-and-rescue efforts and stop thieves who were becoming increasingly hostile.

Also from the link I provided earlier...

Nagin ordered virtually the entire police force to abandon search-and-rescue efforts and stop thieves who were becoming increasingly hostile.

Did you bother to watch the frontline program I linked or read the article I linked. If you did you would see that every military official, police official and city official said that the stories of violence and shooting at police and rescue workers were mainly rumors that were spread by people on the street, cops and the media. There weren't any reports of shooting at rescue workers and the violence that took place wasn't anywhere near the epic portions that the media was describing. They even said in the Frontline story that Ray Nagin called had the police call of search and rescue because of unsubstantiated rumors of violence, that all police officials now say were complete exaggerations, that spread like wildfire because of the breakdown in the police communication systems because of the storm. In fact the only non police search and rescue operation that was called off was the Acadian Ambulance operation at the Superdome, and that wasn't because they were shot at. It was because of a rumor that someone shot at a military helicopter, which the military says never happened, and they wanted the military to take control of the situation.

Just about everything you are arguing were rumors that were reported on as fact bu the media and because of the lack of communication between officials on the ground in New Orleans they were treated as fact. The only thing that has been substantiated that you said was the fact that a National Guardsmen was shot in the leg while in a scuffle for his gun. Everything else was just rumors and exaggerations of what happened.

And before we get into this circle again let me say this.
Do I believe reports of rescue workers hearing gunshots fired when they where evacuating people? Yes I do, and I believe it was people getting their attention and it wasn't as wide spread as people say.

Do I believe that those rescue workers were being shot at? No I don't. Their isn't one report of any Helicopters being hit. Nobody reported being shot at, and just a few reported hearing shots. And like I said before if there were so many people shooting at them there would be some reports of rescue workers with gunshot wounds.

Were you here watching live coverage 24/7 of all the violence taking place?
Did you see all the footage of thugs roaming the streets with guns in their hands?
Did you see footage of the looting?
Did you see the many interviews (live) of people saying vehicles were being taken by force at gunpoint?

It was a war zone!

It took something like 16,000 national guardsmen to try to gain some sort of control over the violence.

People were being raped and robbed.

Many have said you have to do what you have to do to survive...
I've never seen anyone have to rape to live. I've never seen anyone need 6 pairs of name brand shoes, a computer, and beer to live either.

The 9th ward was very violent before Katrina. It was extremely violent during the aftermath.

If you choose to believe they were holding hands singing and praying, that's your choice.

Did you see all the footage of thugs roaming the streets with guns in their hands?
Did you see the many interviews (live) of people saying vehicles were being taken by force at gunpoint?

It was a war zone!

It took something like 16,000 national guardsmen to try to gain some sort of control over the violence.

I've never seen anyone have to rape to live. I've never seen anyone need 6 pairs of name brand shoes, a computer, and beer to live either.

The 9th ward was very violent before Katrina. It was extremely violent during the aftermath.

If you choose to believe they were holding hands singing and praying, that's your choice.

Yes I heard the news reports and what was being reported. I also read and seen recent interviews with police and city officials that say while their was looting going on and some violence the media reports were greatly exaggerated. It defiantly wasn't a "war zone". Most of the stuff the media was reporting was rumors that were being passed from person to person. I will believe what the police and city officials that have statements to back them up say over what reporters that are reporting unsubstantiated rumors say.

And as far as the looting goes the people that were taking things that they needed to survive like food, water and clean clothes, even if it is 6 pairs of shoes for their family, I have no problem with. Even if they took some beer I can understand that because if I was in that situation I may want a cold one also while waiting to be rescued. But the one that looted other stuff, they were wrong, however we do now know that the biggest perpetrators of the big ticket looting were the cops themselves.

It was a war zone!

Not quite, Kimberly. The upper and lower 9th ward was under 7-10 feet of water for days. When the shootings took place on the Danziger, areas less than a mile away were still under water. It was a ghost town. Not even the thugs wanted to be there. But in other parts of the city, where there were people, you better believe there was a lot of hand holding and praying going on. Please don't get so carried away that you lose sight of the sorrow and tragedy.

I saw enough on live TV to know that many of the Katrina survivors were animals.

Hmmm. Respectfully, that is painting a large group of people with a very broad brush. If we are to cut first responders slack, we certainly have to cut the people who did not have the resources to leave some slack as well. Their living conditions had been reduced a completely untenable existence.

i live right outside of new orleans, and i was actually three days away from my 12th birthday when katrina hit. i don't have much insight into the issues you guys are debating, as i was fairly young and much of the news coverage of the time is a blur for me. i was more concerned with chatting with my friends online and probably trying to distance myself from the situation. who knows what the heck i was thinking during that time, lol. i haven't really done much research on the topic since then. quite honestly my katrina experience was like a trip to disney world compared to most katrina experiences. i do enjoy reading this thread, just wanted to say that.

Not quite, Kimberly. The upper and lower 9th ward was under 7-10 feet of water for days. When the shootings took place on the Danziger, areas less than a mile away were still under water. It was a ghost town. Not even the thugs wanted to be there. But in other parts of the city, where there were people, you better believe there was a lot of hand holding and praying going on. Please don't get so carried away that you lose sight of the sorrow and tragedy.

I could never forget the sorrow and tragedy. Not getting carried away at all.

It was horrible no doubt.

There were thousands of good law abiding citizens that suffered more than we could ever imagine.

But, that does not negate the fact that thugs were trying to take over. It took 16,000 or more national guardsman to keep them in check.

I SAW the coverage. I was glued to the tv for weeks. I love my state and care deeply for all who suffered.

Its exactly what I would call a war zone.

Hmmm. Respectfully, that is painting a large group of people with a very broad brush. If we are to cut first responders slack, we certainly have to cut the people who did not have the resources to leave some slack as well. Their living conditions had been reduced a completely untenable existence.

Trident said many.

Trident is 100% correct.

JMO

How untenable could it be when they were filmed walking through an empty WalMart with shopping carts? Some were in official-looking uniforms too. How bad was life at that point that some needed to be running away with BIG screen TVs? How many pair of looted sneakers does one looter need?

I saw all of this, and more with my own eyes, and worse. Animals is the only word I can come up with for them that won't get me kicked out.

I could never forget the sorrow and tragedy. Not getting carried away at all.

It was horrible no doubt.

There were thousands of good law abiding citizens that suffered more than we could ever imagine.

But, that does not negate the fact that thugs were trying to take over. It took 16,000 or more national guardsman to keep them in check.

I SAW the coverage. I was glued to the tv for weeks. I love my state and care deeply for all who suffered.

Its exactly what I would call a war zone.

I was also glued to the TV, horrified in many ways by what I saw. I was even more horrified when some of my friends tried to defend what was going on.

The truth is, I felt a lot of pain and sorrow for the people down there, despite the bad stuff that was going on. My son wanted us to get in the car and try to help some people get out. I was sorry to have to tell him no one was getting in or out, and it was probably too dangerous. So we sat, watching in horror (all the way around) of what was going on.

Wasn't it the media that supposedly reported these things in the first place and are now reporting it differently? So you can pick and choose when you think the media telling the truth. Or you can listen to the stories of those who were there, those who had no ulterior motive for exaggerating or lying.

I lived very closely among the first responders, (firefighters, EMTs police and others) who were there rescuing and doing body recoveries for months after the storm. Yes, THEY WERE shot at. But rather than run to the media and whine and boo hoo they just kept doing their jobs because there were still innocent people out there who needed help and bodies that needed to be found. They didn't have time to sit around whining and talking to the media. The media used to hang out the compound where hundreds of these first responders were living for months after the storm and tried to get them to talk. Guess what? They refused to talk; they didn’t want to talk about it. They asked the media to leave them alone and to not film them at all.

<MODSNIP>

First responders have a responsibility to protect the confidentiality of those that they work with. They are not supposed to go and tell tales of what they do on the job. Patient confidentiality is a way of life with them and so it is not unusual that many of them did not want to talk about the things they saw. They don't want to be in the news, even if it is for a heroic rescue. They don't want to get involved in all of the BS surrounding the job they are there to do. They need to remain objective. They are there to help, to save lives.

But among themselves they do talk of things. It is common after a traumatic event (such as the Diane Schuler accident where multiple children were killed) for them to hold a debriefing where they can express their feelings when they have witnessed things that are traumatic. These are private events and many have to be encouraged to talk about what they went through and how it bothered them.

I lived among them. I heard their stories from them and know some of what they went through and THEY WERE SHOT AT. Not a doubt in my mind. I have heard that from multiple trustworthy sources many different times. I could give you details about some of the atrocities that the first responders endured but much of it was told to me in confidentiality and I am trying my best to respect that.

But it does upset me when people (like first responders) who actually were there and do know what they are talking about are told that they don&#8217;t know what they are talking about and then are told they must be mistaken because of an article written by a reporter who wasn&#8217;t even there.

Again, I am not trying to get into an altercation or disagreement with anyone. I know what I know. I was there.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/dan...-reduced-sentences-in-danziger-case/145165912

A plea deal that sharply reduced the sentences of four former NOPD officers who were involved in a shooting at the Danziger Bridge that left two people dead and four others wounded just days after Hurricane Katrina was finalized in court Wednesday. It also sliced in half the original sentence for another officer involved in the cover-up...

All of the Danziger defendants had to admit to a "willful disregard" of the Constitutional rights of the six shooting victims...

In 2013, the officers had the convictions overturned and ordered a new trial by Engelhardt after the online commenting scandal tainted the prosecution by the U.S. Attorney&#8217;s Office.

Finally -- after so many years:

" A legal journey that was set off more than a decade ago with the shooting of unarmed citizens by police officers in the desperate days after Hurricane Katrina wound toward a close on Wednesday when five former officers pleaded guilty in federal court to conspiracy, obstruction of justice and civil rights charges.

The plea agreements drew prison terms from three to 12 years. Those sentences were significantly shorter than those handed down when the men were convicted five years ago in verdicts that were later thrown out."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/21/us/hurricane-katrina-new-orleans-danziger-bridge-shootings.html

I find it absolutely nauseating that they're getting off as lightly as they are. For all of those here who believe in locking up criminals and throwing away the keys, what do you think of these slaps on the wrist?

Finally -- after so many years:

" A legal journey that was set off more than a decade ago with the shooting of unarmed citizens by police officers in the desperate days after Hurricane Katrina wound toward a close on Wednesday when five former officers pleaded guilty in federal court to conspiracy, obstruction of justice and civil rights charges.

The plea agreements drew prison terms from three to 12 years. Those sentences were significantly shorter than those handed down when the men were convicted five years ago in verdicts that were later thrown out."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/21/us/hurricane-katrina-new-orleans-danziger-bridge-shootings.html

I find it absolutely nauseating that they're getting off as lightly as they are. For all of those here who believe in locking up criminals and throwing away the keys, what do you think of these slaps on the wrist?
Been a long time in coming. Altho I agree with you on the Leniency. At least those families now can have some sort of closure.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back