Laura Babcock Murder Trial 10.24.17 - Day 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lisa Hepfner‏ @HefCHCHNews
Legal arguments. Will tweet when jury is here. @CHCHNews 6pm for full story.

Caryn Lieberman‏ @caryn_lieberman
#Millard begins his cross examination “how are you feeling this morning” to Shawn Lerner.

They met at Laura’s bday party.

"Morning Shawn, how are you feeling this morning?" #Millard now asking Lerner about their 1st meeting, at a bday party for #Babcock

marianne boucher‏ @CityCourtsTO
Day two Dellen Millard and Mark Smich murder trial of missing woman Laura Babcock. Witness former boyfriend of Laura now in cross w Millard.

Shannon Martin‏ @ShannonMartinTV
The jury has now arrived and we're beginning with cross examination of Shawn Lerner, Laura Babcock's former boyfriend.

View attachment 125342

Millard begins cross with 'good morning' Nothing fr Lerner, he looks away. Millard tries 'how are you feeling?' Lerner clears throat 'Fine'

#Millard keeps going back and forth about the wording Lerner used to describe Laura’s mental health issues. “Deep” or “severe.”

Former boyfriend of Laura Babcock, Shawn Lerner headed the search for Laura, he discovered the last 8 calls made by her, were to Millard.

"You said Laura had depression issues. Deep depression issues," #Millard puts to Lerner, quoting a video statement.

Justice Michael Code keeps correcting wording in cross examination.

Laura had fights w her parents, Lerner agrees. "Over trivial things, getting home on time." #Millard wants to know if the fights got worse

Lerner says Babcock got in arguments with parents over “trivial things.”

Trevor Dunn‏ @trevorjdunn
After a delay, the jury is here and Millard is questioning Lerner. His focus again is on Babcock's state of mind and family life .

Millard is now cross examining Lerner.
Millard: Hi Shawn, how are you today.
Lerner: ok
Millard now asking about Babcock's home life.

“Would you say that Laura had mood swings?” “yes.”

“Would you say that she could do a 180 pretty quick?” Asks #Millard. “Yes.”

Millard asks if Lerner noticed Babcock had mood swings? Lerner: Yes

So basically DM will use his "ignorance" of how to cross a witness to just get everything he wants to put out to the jury in there, regardless if there are multiple corrections and objections. :notgood:

Her parents called police once, Lerner agrees. Was Laura forced to be hospitalized? Lerner isn't sure. Agrees she had mood swings. #Babcock

Millard: Shawn, you don't like me very much do you? Lerner: No. Millard: You find me sketchy? Lerner: Yes.

Caryn Lieberman‏ @caryn_lieberman“Shawn you don’t like me very much?” No. “Do you find me sketchy?” Yes.

"Shawn, you don't like me much do you?" No. "You find me sketchy?" Yes. Lerner started feeling that way about #Millard after 1st meeting.

Millard now delving into why Lerner finds him sketchy. Lerner recalls their first meeting at Babcock's birthday party in Feb, 2011.

Cross exam of Babcock ex-bf:
Millard: Shawn you don’t like me very much do you?
Lerner: No
Millard: Do you find me sketchy?
Lerner: Yes

Millard is going to try to push a suicide/panic after the fact defense, regardless of the incriminating texts and videos. IMO

Lerner says when he asked Millard about his profession, Millard was vague and eventually said he couldn't get into it.

#Millard asking Lerner about a conversation they had at his condo after Laura’s bday party.

After the party #Millard & Lerner spoke. #Millard said he worked for family business, as accountant... but kept changing stories.

Millard : You find me sketchy?
Lerner: Yes
Millard: When we met u asked about my background?
Lerner: You shut down the convo re accounting

Liam Casey‏ @liamdevlincasey
Dellen Millard to Laura Babcock's ex, Shawn Lerner: Shawn, you don’t like me very much, do you?
Lerner: no.
Millard: Find me sketchy?
yes

"It struck me as odd that you described yourself as an accountant but the work didn't sound like accounting," Lerner says to Millard.

Lerner says #Millard wasn’t clear about what exactly he does for work. Said “accounting” but Lerner felt it was more “bookkeeping.”

Lerner has a business degree so he knows something about accounting, he agrees with #Millard. Staying calm.

You can follow our tweets - my colleague @trevorjdunn is here too - or our @CBCToronto liveblog:
http://live.cbc.ca/Event/Laura_Babcock_murder_trial

Very long line of questioning about what exactly #Millard did for a living.. accounting or bookkeeping.

"Do you remember telling police that every time you met me, my background story changed?" Lerner says the story changed 10x that one night.

You’ve got a sharp memory? No .. average memory.

Friends of DM? He has friends? Or is that tweet poorly worded and she meant Smich (who I would be surprised to learn has friends too)?

I thought the same thing when I read that. Can't imagine anyone would want to associate with these guys. Maybe fellow psychopaths?

Lerner doesn't remember #Millard telling him he was a pilot and had studied the "culinary arts." #Millard is now questioning his memory.

"You took it upon yourself to conduct an investigation didn't you?" #Millard asks about Lerner taking notes when he was looking for #Babcock

Millard : You were like a civillian investigator(in the disappearance of Babcock.)
Lerner: I took notes.
Millard: You had precise dates.

"What I'm trying to get at here Shawn is the difference between evidence and recollection," #Millard says, slowly & deliberately

Millard says Lerner took it upon himself to be a 'civilian investigator.'

#Millard testing Lerner’s memory versus actual proof of past events.

""What I'm trying to get at here Shawn is the difference between evidence and recollection," #Millard says, slowly & deliberately"

Don't worry Dellen, there is plenty of evidence to get a straight to trial with no body. I'm sure the experts will make that point.

The two met up at Starbucks because Lerner had looked at #Babcock's phone records. Lerner brought notes, didn't take notes at meeting.

Lerner says he looked into her disappearance along with other investigations. Yesterday he told jury Laura's last 8 calls were to Millard.

"But I remember it very vividly," Lerner says of the Starbucks meeting. Doesn't remember if he made notes about the conversation later.

Lerner tells judge he made 4-5 pages of notes about what he discovered as he searched for Babcock.

Lerner made a whole document called "The missing person case of Laura #Babcock." He may have made notes about the mtg w #Millard there.

Lerner remembers his statement to police May 13, 2013. He knows because he missed much of a Leafs vs Boston game he just described in detail

This trial will still be going on in April at this pace. :rolleyes:

MOO

Lerner tells Millard he remembers when he was interview by police because it was the day the Leafs game 7 playoff game vs Boston ...

Caryn Lieberman @caryn_lieberman
“Let’s not do a memory test” says Judge to #Millard on his line of questioning to Lerner about date he met with police.

"You were already seated with an iced beverage when I arrived," Lerner tells #Millard of their 2012 meeting

Replying to @trevorjdunn
Millard: Are you a Leafs fan?
Lerner: Yes.
Millard: Do you remember the outcome of the game?
Lerner: The Leafs blew it.

Judge interrupts Millard, who pressed Lerner on date he gave police statement. Judge Code says date is not in dispute, stamped on document.

Millard is now taking Lerner through their meeting at a Starbucks that summer after Babcock's disappearance, after Lerner reached out.

This trial will still be going on in April at this pace. :rolleyes:

MOO

Yeah, DM is debating things not in debate like the date of SL's statement to police.

I don't get what DM is getting from getting SL to admit that DM seemed sketchy to him. Doesn't that work against DM? Anyone in the jury that sides with SL on that one?

Lerner reminds Millard he saw Millard give Babcock drugs at his condo once.

Millard now going into the meeting at a Starbucks? Where Lerner confronts him about Laura's disappearance.

Did i tell you that she had gotten into hard drugs? “You mentioned cocaine specifically,” replies Lerner.

#Millard talked of Laura's prostitution, heavier drug use ("you mentioned cocaine") and told Lerner he refused to give her drugs or lodging.

Lerner remembers #Millard giving #Babcock drugs on occasions. "This was probably the most important meeting of my life...."

“This was probably the most important meeting of my life..” so the things I can remember I remember clearly, says Lerner to #Millard.

Yeah, DM is debating things not in debate like the date of SL's statement to police.

I don't get what DM is getting from getting SL to admit that DM seemed sketchy to him. Doesn't that work against DM? Anyone in the jury that sides with SL on that one?

He's likely trying to prove SL had a vendetta against him.. was framed.. lol idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back