Laura Babcock Murder Trial 10.24.17 - Day 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caryn Lieberman‏Verified account @caryn_lieberman
#Millard asking Lerner still about their meeting at Starbucks.

marianne boucher‏ @CityCourtsTO
Lerner: This was the most important meeting of my life. There are some things I remember explicitly.
Millard: You saw me give Laura pills?

Shannon Martin‏ @ShannonMartinTV
Millard questions Lerner's memory, Lerner raises his voice: "This was probably the most important meeting of my life....

"...The things I remember clearly, I remember clearly."

Lisa Hepfner‏ @HefCHCHNews
"....if I say I remember someth I do," Lerner saw #Millard giving pills (MDMA) to #Babcock. "You made it clear it was a bday present."

"She was my girlfriend, I cared for her and loved her," Lerner says he didn't like #Millard giving #Babcock hard drugs, unsolicited

Lerner: I was against you giving her drugs as a birthday gift, unsolicited.
Millard:Why concerned?
Lerner:"I cared about her, loved her"

Lerner tells the court Millard gave Babcock pills unsolicited for her birthday, but Babcock flushed them.

Millard asked why he cared if she did drugs? Lerner: "She's my girlfriend, I cared about her and loved her."

Caryn Lieberman‏ @caryn_lieberman
“She was my girlfriend and I cared about her and loved her,” says Lerner.

Caryn Lieberman‏Verified account @caryn_lieberman
Lerner says Laura took prescription drugs for her mental health issues and smoked marijuana.

A couple of big sighs from #Millard during cross of Lerner. #Babcock started using marijuana while they were dating, Lerner agrees.

“What were your guys’ drinking habits” Asks #Millard of Lerner.

"What were your guys' alcohol habits?" #Millard wants to know. Social, Lerner says.

Lerner says he had impression different doctors had different suggestions of what exactly Laura suffered from in terms of a diagnosis.

No clarity for Laura on what exactly she was struggling with. “Borderline personality disorder” had come up, says Lerner.

“Certainly there were mental health issues,” he says.

Lerner isn't sure #Babcock had borderline personality disorder "it was the latest diagnosis" she had given herself.

“Are you here today to help protect laura’s reputation?” “No I’m here to answer your questions.”

"Are you here to try to protect Laura's reputation?" No, I'm here to answer your questions. "How do you feel about Laura today?" I miss her.

Millard: Are we here to protect her reputation? Lerner: No I'm here to answer your questions.

Millard: How do you feel about her today? Lerner: I miss her.

Millard: How do u feel about Laura today?
Lerner: I miss her.
Millard : She was your first sexual..
Crown: Not appropriate.
Judge: Move on

#Millard asked whether #Babcock was Lerner's first sex partner. Shot down. "That is not a proper question," judge admonishes

OMG DM.

The fact that DM asked SL why he cared if DM gave LB drugs and SL's answer that he loved and cared about her shows the glaring issues with DM. He does not understand that simple concept. He's likely a psychopath. I wonder if the jury is picking up on that? :waitasec:

MOO

“Well I miss her,” says Lerner about Laura.

Trevor Dunn‏ @trevorjdunn
Millard on Lerner's relationship with Babcock:
She was your first sexual partner, wasn't she?
Justice Code says not an appropriate question

Why did they break up? "Our relationship was on a decline... she suggested a break.. I said let's end it," Lerner says of #Babcock

#Millard asking Lerner why he and Babcock broke up. “Multitude of factors” including that Lerner lived in London, ON at the time.

Hard to pinpoint one in a multitude of factors. They weren't getting along, not in same city. Lerner was getting a degree in London.

Lerner says he and Babcock “remained friends” after their relationship ended.

The fact that DM asked SL why he cared if DM gave LB drugs and SL's answer that he loved and cared about her shows the glaring issues with DM. He does not understand that simple concept. He's likely a psychopath. I wonder if the jury is picking up on that? :waitasec:

MOO

They're absolutely picking up on it.. I would assume they're already tired of his nonsense.. It's too bad he thinks the jury is too stupid to pick up on the fact that he's NOT the smartest feller in the room.. These shenanigans have likely already taken their toll..

Lerner & #Babcock stayed friends after, & he hired her for some work for his small business. Feb-Apr 2012.

Laura #Babcock was independent & didn't like taking help, Lerner says. #Millard wonders if Lerner feels guilty that she slept in a park.

Cristina Tenaglia‏ @cristina_CP24
'This can't be easy for you,' Dellen Millard told father of Laura Babcock. 'Considering I'm the accused'
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...trial-into-laura-babcocks-murder-dimanno.html

"Do you feel guilty you didn't do more?" Millard asks, then doubles down. "Let me lay it out for you..."

"Did you actually offer to pay for longer at the hotel?" #Millard wonders if Lerner is trying to "defend himself." #Babcock

Millard brings up Babcock's tiny Maltese, Lacey. Lerner bought it for her. We've heard alot about how much she loved her dog.

#Millard asked Lerner if he’s Jewish. He is. And whether Laura was planning to convert. She was not, he said.

Trevor Dunn‏ @trevorjdunn
Millard asks if Lerner's background is Jewish:
Lerner: Yes.
Millard: Was Laura in process of converting to Judaism?
Lerner: No

Back to the Starbucks meeting. Millard says Lerner asked whether he was having a sexual relationship w #Babcock, & #Millard said no.

"I told you I already had a girlfriend," #Millard reminds Lerner, who agrees Millard "vehemently denied" any relationship w #Babcock

Stepping out briefly to file a radio report for noon - remember @trevorjdunn is tweeting + we have a liveblog here:
http://live.cbc.ca/Event/Laura_Babcock_murder_trial

Lerner got #Babcock's phone bill from her mom. "Did the fact that Laura's last 8 phone calls were to you, strike me as important? Yes."

I don't know that I believe DM cares as much about the trial outcome as he does about torturing these witnesses on the stand and playing a game. I think these days at trial are likely the most interesting and fun days he has had in a few years......JMO

"I told you I already had a girlfriend," #Millard reminds Lerner, who agrees Millard "vehemently denied" any relationship w #Babcock

That should settle it. We all know the high value the guy puts on truth and honesty.......

Yeah, DM is debating things not in debate like the date of SL's statement to police.

I don't get what DM is getting from getting SL to admit that DM seemed sketchy to him. Doesn't that work against DM? Anyone in the jury that sides with SL on that one?

Probably to persuade that SL has a vendetta again DM and therefore focused his civilian investigation on him. Its a semi-smart tactic. Also, gets SL thinking negative thoughts about DM in the hopes of getting under his skin for questioning, despite SL being cool and collected after a overnight break. Same reason he pointed out to Mr. Babcock the awkwardness of being questioned by the accused.

PS. Shouldn't DM being calling witnesses Mr and not by their first name?

"oh, and 6 other sidepieces. Did I forget to mention that? Oops. My bad."

I don't know that I believe DM cares as much about the trial outcome as he does about torturing these witnesses on the stand and playing a game. I think these days at trial are likely the most interesting and fun days he has had in a few years......JMO

I couldn't agree with you more! He is enjoying his line of questioning and his role on both sides of this!

Millard: Lauras phone records show last 8 calls were w me?
Lerner: It does seem important.
Millard: U heard I was not the last to see her.

Judge warns #Millard that he can't dig for hearsay. Lerner can't testify about what other people told him.

Did you file a complaint against the police? #Millard asks. Lerner did, about how the police handled Laura #Babcock's disappearance.

Lerner: I filed a complaint against the police, they had mishandled the investigation.
Millard back asking re last time Laura saw Lerner.

Why was Lerner concerned about #Babcock? She was looking for a place to live, staying with different guys, he agrees with #Millard

"I did not approve of this career choice. She did downplay it &suggested there was no sex involved... she seemed brand new to the business."

They're absolutely picking up on it.. I would assume they're already tired of his nonsense.. It's too bad he thinks the jury is too stupid to pick up on the fact that he's NOT the smartest feller in the room.. These shenanigans have likely already taken their toll..

Typical sociopath. He honestly believes that he knows more than lawyers (don"t forget that he was a photographer, chef, business owner without a high school diploma), jurors and the rest of the world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"You were concerned about all the strange men in her life," #Millard puts to Lerner, who wasn't sure there were all that many.

"Are you trying to shift this case? Are you trying to put suspicion on me? Did you know Laura had an interest in me as more than a friend?"

Lerner says, "I was the one who invited you. If I had thought (she was attracted to you) I wouldn't have done that."

"What he thinks about you is irrelevant at this trial," judge tells #Millard, of Lerner.

Millard: Are u trying to shift suspicion on to me?
Lerner: No I'm answering the questions.
Judge: ...what he thinks of u is of no moment

"July 2nd was the last day anyone other than you had heard from her," Lerner says. Judge wonders why #Millard doesn't wait 4 phone records.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg