Laura Babcock Murder Trial 10.24.17 - Day 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a side note, would going to the court recommend a time to get in line? I believe its on 361 University Ave and don't want to travel all the way downtown if Im not able get in. Thanks.

It's a bit tricky. Yesterday, aside from family, they admitted the line as it was (after family). Today they allowed media first access after family, and then the public, regardless of where the public were queued up. My recommendation would be to get there as close to 830 as you can. You might be admitted behind the media who show up after 930, but at least you'll be one of the first public. So much depends on how many media reps show up, and how many general public spectators there are.

Is anyone else confused about the timeline that's been established? So far everyone has pretty well affirmed that LB was on her phone and on Facebook on a constant basis. The Crown is arguing that she would have been killed July 3/4. Yet, SL said when he logged into her Facebook account later in the month, she hadn't been on Facebook since July 1st.

Does no one else think its odd that someone who was on Facebook all the time would be suddenly silent a few days before she was killed? Something seems to be missing.

I was able to take a break from work so I decided to go over to the court and sit in on the trial for a bit. But when I got there I couldnt bring myself to go in. There's evil in that room and I just couldn't do it.

Completely understand this!! I had to cut out to volunteer at my kids' school this afternoon. I actually had a split moment thought of, "Ugh, I should be getting this negative energy off of me before I go into the school." (And I'm not really a believer or otherwise concerned or superstitious about any of that stuff. :s )

Really? Shoot! I'll still be there. Thanks for letting me know !

Please turn off your cellphone or pager before entering the courtroom. Members of the public are not permitted to use electronic devices (e.g. cellphones, cameras, recording devices etc.) in courtrooms unless the presiding judge orders otherwise. Counsel, parties, and members of the media may use electronic devices subject to certain conditions and restrictions. For more information, see the Court’s Use of Electronic Devices in the Courtroom.

http://www.ontariocourts.ca/scj/at-court/etiquette-procedures/

Use of Electronic Devices in the Courtroom

Unless the presiding judge orders otherwise, the use of electronic devices in silent mode and in a discreet and unobtrusive manner is permitted in the courtroom by:
counsel;
paralegals who are licensed by the Law Society of Upper Canada;
law students and law clerks assisting counsel during the proceeding;
self-represented parties; and,
media or journalists
http://www.ontariocourts.ca/scj/pra...incial/#D_Electronic_Devices_in_the_Courtroom

Completely understand this!! I had to cut out to volunteer at my kids' school this afternoon. I actually had a split moment thought of, "Ugh, I should be getting this negative energy off of me before I go into the school." (And I'm not really a believer or otherwise concerned or superstitious about any of that stuff. :s )

exactly! its ugly in a way words can't quite express.

Even still, I'm sure her family, etc appreciate all the positive energy that's brought into the room.

exactly! its ugly in a way words can't quite express.

Even still, I'm sure her family, etc appreciate all the positive energy that's brought into the room.

yes, the support can really help even from strangers.

Please turn off your cellphone or pager before entering the courtroom. Members of the public are not permitted to use electronic devices (e.g. cellphones, cameras, recording devices etc.) in courtrooms unless the presiding judge orders otherwise. Counsel, parties, and members of the media may use electronic devices subject to certain conditions and restrictions. For more information, see the Court’s Use of Electronic Devices in the Courtroom.

http://www.ontariocourts.ca/scj/at-court/etiquette-procedures/

Use of Electronic Devices in the Courtroom

Unless the presiding judge orders otherwise, the use of electronic devices in silent mode and in a discreet and unobtrusive manner is permitted in the courtroom by:
counsel;
paralegals who are licensed by the Law Society of Upper Canada;
law students and law clerks assisting counsel during the proceeding;
self-represented parties; and,
media or journalists
http://www.ontariocourts.ca/scj/pra...incial/#D_Electronic_Devices_in_the_Courtroom

Yes thank you. You already stated this a few posts ago, that I could not tweet unless I'm a journalist. Don't worry, my phone will be off.

I read some of the testimony today and the ex bf said he saw Millard give Laura drugs and it sounded like pills. To someone with some kind of mental health problems that would not be a good thing to give them unprescribed pills. IT looks like DM not only did weed but other drugs. If he was strung out on pills then it explains some of the bizarre things like posting in his cell phone calendar to do a smell test. Many things about him were bizarre and if he was a pill addict that could explain why.

In the testimony today it sounded like he gave her ecstacy (MDMA). During the last trial it was established that DM sold Oxycontin (remember "orange guys") and other drugs (MH and the toolbox). I don't have time to sift through the hundreds of pages of testimony at the moment.....but he wasn't just dealing pot.

Thank you to all the members on Websleuth that are letting us know each day what is going on. Adam Carter covered the first trial he did a fantastic job.

Anyone know why Adam Carter didn't get this one? I was really hoping on him for the reporting aspect. He was always on his game and not many lulls in tweets.

I`m guessing it`s because he`s assigned to CBC Hamilton, and this is a ``Toronto`` case and thus CBC Toronto gets the call. Agree with you on Carter`s stellar reporting, wish he were doing this round.

They could be going with body, but no crime. Laura overdosed, or committed suicide at Millard’s house, and afraid of the fallout they disposed of her remains. It all depends on what evidence they’re compelled to have to explain.

Similar to the "Mark messed up and shot TB, and DM had to dispose of the body"....

I`m guessing it`s because he`s assigned to CBC Hamilton, and this is a ``Toronto`` case and thus CBC Toronto gets the call. Agree with you on Carter`s stellar reporting, wish he were doing this round.
I, and others, tried to get Adam Carter put on the trial. We write the Toronto Executive Producer/Editor. My emails went unanswered, except the ones I sent to AC on the matter. He is very nice and was interested in covering the trial.

Though, I can't complain, CBC has been running their live blog. It's just not the same quality we recieved from AC.

Wish he had a paid subscription account. I'd rather pay for his. I understand abro is doing a great job but I don't think she has committed to live reporting the whole trial. She tweeted that she would for the first week and was unsure after that. That's the only thing holding me back from subscribing.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Is anyone else confused about the timeline that's been established? So far everyone has pretty well affirmed that LB was on her phone and on Facebook on a constant basis. The Crown is arguing that she would have been killed July 3/4. Yet, SL said when he logged into her Facebook account later in the month, she hadn't been on Facebook since July 1st.

Does no one else think its odd that someone who was on Facebook all the time would be suddenly silent a few days before she was killed? Something seems to be missing.
It is possible she was in mental health crisis and too preoccupied to care about social media.

I read some of the testimony today and the ex bf said he saw Millard give Laura drugs and it sounded like pills. To someone with some kind of mental health problems that would not be a good thing to give them unprescribed pills. IT looks like DM not only did weed but other drugs. If he was strung out on pills then it explains some of the bizarre things like posting in his cell phone calendar to do a smell test. Many things about him were bizarre and if he was a pill addict that could explain why.
I'm not sure I agree with you about DMs possible drug use as an excuse for bizzaire behaviour. Unfortunately I've known many people with drug problems, cocaine and oxy specifically and they were all highly functioning people. I'm a tad naive and didn't know of the drug use for a long time. The only beviour I can attribute to these drugs is mania, talking fast, up for hours, crashing hard, etc. Nothing that would explain making a note to do a "smell test", however, if one wanted to keep an eye on a decomposing body as to not illicit attention from neighbours, animals, etc., one might add smell test to their list of things to do. JMO.

It is possible she was in mental health crisis and too preoccupied to care about social media.

Her dad said that she dropped her dog off along with the envelope of money at her parents house on June 30th because she was going on a trip. So logically, she would have been with DM as of later June 30th or early July 1.

I'm assuming that at least some of the last 8 calls to DM happened after June 30th? So what happened? Why was a girl who by all accounts was always on her phone and always on Facebook all of a sudden silent to everyone EXCEPT DM?

My best guess is that she was killed on July 1st and because DM and MS are half wits, they decided to use her phone to call DM over the next few days because either MS needed a phone or because they half thought things out and wanted to make it look like she was alive longer than she actually was

Her dad said that she dropped her dog off along with the envelope of money at her parents house on June 30th because she was going on a trip. So logically, she would have been with DM as of later June 30th or early July 1.

I'm assuming that at least some of the last 8 calls to DM happened after June 30th? So what happened? Why was a girl who by all accounts was always on her phone and always on Facebook all of a sudden silent to everyone EXCEPT DM?

My best guess is that she was killed on July 1st and because DM and MS are half wits, they decided to use her phone to call DM over the next few days because either MS needed a phone or because they half thought things out and wanted to make it look like she was alive longer than she actually was
Perhaps. I hope your right becayse what I envision for the 2-3 days is crisis. I believe SL said he talked to her on July 1. I'll have to look for the tweet.

We will find out if and when we see phone records and texts.

Anything is possible. A drug induced coma, being tried up, dead cellphone, low point of sleeping in a park for two days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member