Laura Babcock Murder Trial 10.26.17 - Day 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lunchtime for everyone! Thanks for the tweets, Velma.

No problem! I'm going to take a break myself. I'll be back from 2-3:30 then I will have to step away for the day (if SnooperDuper or another volunteer could take over around 3:30, please? :D) Also thank you to Snooper for doing the first shift today, and for sharing their Twitter know-how with me :)

Lisa Hepfner‏ @HefCHCHNews 1m1 minute ago
It's such a big problem you have senators who want to build a wall! Dungey says. "That's politics," Powell says

Wrong border Mr Dungey. Some of the things these lawyers throw out there are just absurd. :rolleyes:

MOO

I am waiting for Millard to ask 'can you smuggle drugs across in a trailer with secret compartments.? What about a false pregnancy belly?' Oh ya that was from his old life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Or how about "can you rent a yacht in the Toronto harbour and wander over to US waters to dump a cell phone and some cremains?" Maybe he is trying to suggest that LB is in the US. :( :notgood:

MOO

Question: Are young offender cases not protected, and don't show up on an adult's record? They talked about incidences Cronin was involved in when he was 13.

I followed the Bosma case and just now having some time to read more about Babcock's case. I cannot fathom the horror Laura might have faced when she met her fate. I really pray her family and friends can get some justice. These 2 are monsters.

Thank you to the ones who are providing answers to my questions, you sound like you are very knowledgable about the law. this is the second murderer case I have followed the first one was Tim Bosma. I did pay attention to the Rafferty case , but I could not continue it was too gruesome.

Why didn't the Toronto police investigate Laura s disappearance they were even now given information about a video about killing someone. unbelievable, they did nothing.

He says he reported this to police in May 2013, ie when Millard/Smich were arrested for Bosma's murder and the stories began to appear about Laura Babcock (her disappearance wasn't in the news until she was linked to Millard). So Toronto police did begin investigating her case. They allowed the Bosma trial to proceed first.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever discussed these two being in the black market organ trade ? I recently came across a photo online that stated what each organ was worth and it was quite a lot of money per organ. I remember there being a text from DM to someone about needing g to make a certain amount of money per month . Just something that made me go, hmm.

Also, shocked that today's young witness stated he knew IISHO when the other didn't. I hope they have some sort of witness protection in place as "rats" aren't views very well in street society. :/

What a weird experience that must have been for that border patrol guy. Dragged into a murder trial in Canada and questioned by a likely serial killer.

He says he reported this to police in May 2013, ie when Millard/Smich were arrested for Bosma's murder and the stories began to appear about Laura Babcock (her disappearance wasn't in the news until she was linked to Millard). So Toronto police did begin investigating her case. They allowed the Bosma trial to proceed first.

The TO police dropped the ball back when SL reported her missing. I was sure they picked the case back up because SL went to them AGAIN after DM was arrested, waving LB's phone bill around saying "I told you so". I'd like to meet Mr Lerner and shake his hand. He is a stand up guy.

Wrong border Mr Dungey. Some of the things these lawyers throw out there are just absurd. :rolleyes:

MOO

Don't think the director of border security is going to admit that there are places where a person could simply walk across, but I'm sure there are.

Also, shocked that today's young witness stated he knew IISHO when the other didn't. I hope they have some sort of witness protection in place as "rats" aren't views very well in street society. :/

Just said he knew him, didn't incriminate him in any way.

The TO police dropped the ball back when SL reported her missing. I was sure they picked the case back up because SL went to them AGAIN after DM was arrested, waving LB's phone bill around saying "I told you so". I'd like to meet Mr Lerner and shake his hand. He is a stand up guy.

Again, how many people in Toronto are missing at any given time? Unless there are actual signs of a crime, or if the person is a minor, then they aren't going to investigate it. LB was an adult, she left her parents home of her own free will, so technically she wasn't even missing.

My brother went "missing" when he was 18. It was his way of saying "**** you" to my parents, he was fine and would have been furious if they'd sent police to track him down. Police wouldn't have done it anyway, adults have the right not to keep in touch, they're not there to force people to write home. Hundreds of people do this every year. They don't investigate unless there's evidence of accident/foul play.

Police are being unfairly blamed, I think, hindsight is 20/20.

Don't think the director of border security is going to admit that there are places where a person could simply walk across, but I'm sure there are.

There totally are. No way I believe LB is in the US, but this agent made it sound almost impossible to pass to the US undetected.....I worked as a customs agent for 3 years.....lots of unprotected border and human smuggling (either through a legal crossing or unprotected border) happens.....MOO

Again, how many people in Toronto are missing at any given time? Unless there are actual signs of a crime, or if the person is a minor, then they aren't going to investigate it. LB was an adult, she left her parents home of her own free will, so technically she wasn't even missing.

Well, she was the complainant in a pending assault/theft/sexual assault case. That should have been a little bit of a red flag.

A month later, Babcock went to police. In March 2012, Austerweil was charged with assaulting her, theft under $5,000 (what he owed for the vet bill) and sexually assaulting her friend.

Court records show all the charges were withdrawn that September — after Babcock disappeared.

https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2014/06/07/dellen_millard_murder_of_laura_babcock_leaves_lingering_questions_for_police.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
undefined.value