Laura Babcock Murder Trial 11.17.17 - Day 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lisa Hepfner:

Dungey brings up text messages that say, "will link you a ting ting." Jansz doesn't remember that one. Says "link" means to connect something or someone to someone or something else. "Ting ting" could be a firearm..." Dungey: "why are you so sure it's a firearm?"

It is codified, he's using a term to disguise what he wants to talk about. I would have to look at more messages. Ting has been used to mean a firearm, Jansz says, before Dungey interrupts again. "It could be drugs also." Says that's what Urban Dictionary says.

The problem with Urban Dictionary is that it's open source. If I wanted to disguise the word I can change it and like it 500 times. "It's not a reliable source," Jansz says. Dungey debates this. "This is culture. People have a say." #LauraBabcock

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Thank you Coldpizza and InBetweenDoors for the generosity of your time and your great compassion in this case by keeping us up to date on the trial tweets.

You are all greatly appreciated!

Urban Dictionary LOLOLOLOLOLOL You can put whatever you want in there!!

Nov 17 2017 10:45 AM

Dungey pulls up* a series of text messages from May 25, 2012

It's a 905 number, the contact is saved as "Mi Negro."

Dungey refers to one message: "find out then if the incinerator is ready for tonight. will link you a ting ting Saturday either way."

Dungey asks if "ting" means a girl?

Det. Jansz, "I've never seen that. I've never seen ting ting to mean a girl."

Shannon Martin

Nov 17 2017 10:47 AM

Dungey now asks if "ting" means drugs -- that's what he read on Urban Dictionary.

Det. Jansz responds, with a big shake of his head, "The problem with Urban Dictionary it's open source. Anyone can open it up and add their own meaning for a word... Someone with no idea at all, or who wants to be deceptive, can go in there and make up a meaning. That's why I don't rely on Urban Dictionary."

Shannon Martin

Nov 17 2017 10:50 AM

Dungey continues to asks about individual words: spliff, blunt.

He and Det. Jansz continue to disagree on meanings of these words.

Det. Jansz, "I'm not trying to be difficult with you, it can mean a number of things" -- referring to a blunt.

Dungey asks about "that girl" meaning Molly.

Det. Jansz says it can.

Dungey wraps up, with a wave of his hand, "take care of yourself."

Shannon Martin

Dungey is slipping up major on this X. So unaware of the underworld rap culture, reading Urban Dictionary trying to catch up on 50 years of disconnect. Not his best moment. MOO

Lisa Hepfner

Jansz can't confirm that Urban Dictionary meaning for "ting" is drugs. Caps usually means "capsule," he says. "Spliff?" Can be marijuana on its own, or crystalized with cocaine. "Blunt?" A blunt can be the covering used to wrap marijuana. Doesn't agree it means "a big cigar."

"It is fair to say that, you know that," Dungey growls. Jansz insists he's not being difficult. A blunt does not necessarily mean a big marijuana cigarette. They both agree it could mean that.

Stone usually means cocaine. Rocks = crack. "that girl" can mean "molly" which is a synthetic drug, Jansz agrees. Could mean ecstasy, MDMA he agrees. Dungey is done.

Crown Jill Cameron now playing the #Smich rap video that allegedly tells of the murder of #LauraBabcock. "I'm not sure if you caught all the lyrics," Cameron says, then reads them. "If you go swimming you can find her phone." Have you ever seen drugs described that way? No.

Jansz testimony is done. Next witness is Marlena Meneses. #LauraBabcock

I hear "ting" all the time. Can mean a sexual encounter. LOL

I just checked Urban Dictionary and ting ting can mean "a girl who is underage and very attractive."

ETA: But other things as well. Unclear.

Nov 17 2017 10:52 AM

Crown Jill Cameron is back up.

She now plays the rap video of Mark Smich for Det. Jansz. We've seen this a number of times now.

The lyrics:

The ***** started off all skin and bone/

now the ***** lay on some ashy stone/

last time I saw her's outside the home/

*and if you go swimming you can find her phone.

Cameron asks, have you ever seen drugs described in that way?

Det. Jansz says just one word, "No."

Cameron thanks him, and he's done in the witness box.

Shannon Martin

Urban Dictionary LOLOLOLOLOLOL You can put whatever you want in there!!

I was baffled when I read that! Not a credible source in any way, shape or form... it’s like Wikipedia.

I just checked Urban Dictionary and ting ting can mean "a girl who is underage and very attractive."

The detective's point was that anyone could write that definition into the Urban Dictionary and then like it a bunch of times and then it would be in there, but that doesn't mean that it is true. MS could have had his mommy enter it for him.

Lisa Hepfner

Meneses is wrapped in a plaid shawl. Waifish, but has a big smile and speaks her name enthusiastically. "You have a nice soft voice," Cameron says, asking her to speak up. Meneses is 23 years old. Just got promoted to assistant manager in her retail job.

Meneses lives with her mother. Went to high school in Oakville, but didn't finish. "Try to enunciate clearly," judge asks. She knows Mark #Smich. "He was my ex boyfriend." Broke up May 2013 after dating a year.

They met at Tim Hortons in Oakville. I was with a group of friends, and he showed up with another group she knew. "Mark looked at me and gave me this stare." She went up to talk to him and they hit it off.

They didn't date at first, they were "dealing." She explains that means they only talk to each other and no one else. She was 18 at the time, she says. "It ended up changing to dating, an actual relationship." That happened in April, she says.

Cringe.
Dungey is slipping up major on this X. So unaware of the underworld rap culture, reading Urban Dictionary trying to catch up on 50 years of disconnect. Not his best moment. MOO

Nov 17 2017 10:56 AM

Crown Jill Cameron calls the next witness: Marlena Meneses, 23.*

She is Mark Smich's former girlfriend.*

Shannon Martin

Nov 17 2017 10:58 AM

Their relationship ended in May, 2013.*

They met at a Tim Hortons in Mississauga. She says she saw him, and just wanted to talk to*him.

At the time, she was young. 18. "I'd never experienced anything like that."*

She says they started off "dealing" talking to each other, not anyone else.

Shannon Martin

55a89c287c9a354b47071b15000e262d.jpg

Lisa Hepfner

Meneses moved in with #Smich about a month after they started dating, May 2012. She moved into his mother's house on Montrose Drive in Oakville. "His mother's house?" Judge asks. Meneses confirms. Before that she lived w mom and stepdad, whom she was fighting with.

"He was too controlling. He unplugged the phone when I was in a conversation with Mark. You can't do that to people..." Judge asks again that she enunciate. "My stepdad was angry with me and in the middle of my conversation he unplugged the phone, which isn't right."

Meneses says it got violent so she plugged back the phone and called Mark and said she couldn't live at her mother's house anymore. He came and picked her up. She dropped out of school after moving in with #Smich.

She knows Dellen #Millard. Through #Smich, who talked about Millard all the time. "How good a friend he was,...." His honour is going to want you to slow down a little, crown interrupts. Millard was nice and had a nice house. Meneses was invited one day. Brought her best friend

Nov 17 2017 11:01 AM

She moved in with him in May 2012, to his mother's house.

"Things at my house wasn't going to well. I was having fights with my step dad. He was over controlling. I felt like he wanted to take control of my life. I couldn't do anything."

Her voice is really soft, and she speaks quickly. Justice Code asks her to speak up, slow down if she can.*

Shannon Martin

Nov 17 2017 11:04 AM

Meneses dropped out of school, also in May, 2012, after she started living with Smich.

Crown Jill Cameron changes topics to ask her about Dellen Millard.

"Mark always talked about Dell - how he was such a good friend, how they hung out. Dell was a nice person and had a nice house," Meneses said.

The first time she met Millard was at his house, in Etobicoke, Ont.

"We ended up drinking, doing drugs, we had a good time. Dell didn't do drugs that night, he went to bed early."

Cameron, "Did you like Millard?"

"At first yes... then I grew to really not like him... I felt Dell started becoming really perverted. Look at my chest...."

Justice Michael Code cuts her off and says that's not relevant. They had a bad relationship, he says, leave it at that.

Shannon Martin

Lisa Hepfner

"We ended up drinking, doing drugs, had a good time." She says #Millard went to bed early. Millard's father was also there "up in his bedroom the whole time," Meneses says. She liked #Millard at first but "I really grew to not like him."

"I felt Dell started becoming really perverted.. he would constantly look at my chest, make comments...." Judge interrupts. This isn't relevant. She did work for #Millard. At the barn, painted his house, cleaned washroom at hangar, helped paint and work at rental property.

Lisa Hepfner

Millard would give her money for food or phone from time to time but didn't otherwise pay her for that work, she says. Millard and Smich "were like best friends. They were like brothers." #Smich did similar work for #Millard, and also got money here and there.

When Smich and Millard hung out they would drink, do drugs, play video games. "we would smoke a lot of weed together." She doesn't remember if #Millard ever rolled a joint.

The Riverside Drive property was a rental property. She and #Smich stayed in one apartment and helped reno another apartment. She thought #Millard was eventually going to live in one unit. Thinks they stayed there about two months, not too sure when.

The Maple Gate house, Meneses says was a bungalow. Main floor, basement and "a nice big backyard," with "a heated, salt-water pool." She doesn't remember being in #Millard's bedroom. Cameron is going to show her a photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members