Laura Babcock Murder Trial 11.28.17 - Day 23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
12s12 seconds ago
More
Justice Code tells jury he has already ruled that Rufalo can give evidence in Zoo Archaeology, which deals with animal remains at archaeological sites. He is not an anthropologist or forensic anthropologist, "so he lacks Dr. Rogers' expertise." #LauraBabcock

Quick question, Is this man here of his own volition and is he being paid as an expert witness? Does any one have experience with how much an expert witness costs? I can't imagine they do this out of the goodness of their heart?
From what I have experienced, I believe they get paid a pretty penny.

Justice Code tells the jury he's made a ruling this morning.

"Dr. Rufolo is qualified to give expert evidence in the area of zoo archaeology, the branch of science that deals with animal remains at archaeology sites. Code says he is an archaeologist, not an anthropologist or a forensic anthropologist."

Code says he lacks that specialization, which court previously heard through the testimony of Dr. Tracy Rogers.

Code reminds the jury that photos were presented, showing "something burning the night of July 23, 2012."

ICYMI Dr. Rogers said the burning objects appeared to be human bones:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/babcock-trial-day-14-1.4396243

by Shannon Martin 10:37 AM

marianne boucher‏
@CityCourtsTO
49s49 seconds ago
More
Dr Rufolo has been qualified as an archeologist ,lacks the qualifications of the crowns expert who was a forensic anthropologist. He will be allowed to study the photographs of something burning in the incinerator.

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
47s47 seconds ago
More
His opinion evidence will be about particular photos of interest, something burning in the Eliminator on July 23 2012, Justice Code says. He does have experience in identifying animal bones on archaeological sites. #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
12s12 seconds ago
More
Jury will have to decide what weight to put on Rufalo's testimony, he tells them. #LauraBabcock

He still isn't as qualified as Dr Rogers though, so Why pay him and put him up there?

So it's safe to assume that DM is trying to present that the remains examined were that of an animal... Good gosh.

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
1m1 minute ago
More
Millard puts up the two photos of the burning matter inside the incinerator. #LauraBabock

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
14s14 seconds ago
More
Rufalo has seen these images. He was contacted by a lawyer who asked if he would provide an opinion. "With no context," he was supposed to provide an opinion about the apparent bones in the photo. #LauraBabcock

Please, show the jury and spectators that awful photo of bones burning in the incinerator again. It's a great move DM. Is there a dunce cap emoji?

Millard pulls up one of the photos the jury has previously seen.

Rufolo says he was sent the photos "with no context." He said he was provided no other information on the case.

He says his opinion is based solely on the images he was sent.
by Shannon Martin 10:40 AM

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
1m1 minute ago
More
His opinion is based solely on the images. Nothing else affects his opinion, Rufalo says. #LauraBabcock

marianne boucher‏
@CityCourtsTO
44s44 seconds ago
More
Millard is now showing Dr.Rufolo photo of objects burning in the incinerator. They were sent to Dr to give opinion if any of the objects were bones.

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
3s3 seconds ago
More
The concrete tubes in the incinerator provide a reference to the location of the apparent bones in the photo. #LauraBabcock

So it's safe to assume that DM is trying to present that the remains examined were that of a animal... Good gosh.

Honest to gosh, I fail to understand how DM can calmly stand there knowing full well those are LB's bones in the incinerator and pretend they are animal bones. Boggles my mind.

Dr Ruffalo should be able to state that there are no deer bones in the incinerator. JMO

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
29s29 seconds ago
More
Appears to be two long bones on one of the tubes, possibly a radius and ulna, but not positive to state positively, because of glare from the blaze. It could also be ribs, he says. #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
10s10 seconds ago
More
It's the morphology, or shape of the bone that helps archaeologists determine whether a bone is human or not. Especially the end of the bone. #LauraBabcock

Yes Dellen it is sooo logical to be in such a rush to burn a 'deer' at night, at an airport come on!!!! Sorry I and hopefully the jury see this as ridiculous.

This guy is going to be made out to be a fool if he says animal bones...and since he works with animal bones, he is probably going to think they are.

Honest to gosh, I fail to understand how DM can calmly stand there knowing full well those are LB's bones in the incinerator and pretend they are animal bones. Boggles my mind.

He is a psychopath -- no conscience, no morals, no ability to feel empathy IMO

Yes Dellen it is sooo logical to be in such a rush to burn a 'deer' at night, at an airport come on!!!! Sorry I and hopefully the jury see this as ridiculous.

Those pesky 'deer' dying left and right on the farm. They were piling up ya know.

Millard, "What can you tell us about the image, in your opinion?"

Rufolo, "On the left side of the image, it appears to be two long bones."

He says they can be ribs or forearm, but the glare makes it hard to say for sure.
by Shannon Martin 10:44 AM

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
28s28 seconds ago
More
Rufalo is not sure he's looking at the ends of the bones, but "they do appear to be bones," from the shape, he says. #LauraBabcock

marianne boucher‏
@CityCourtsTO
12s12 seconds ago
More
Dr says can't tell by the first photo if the long bones are human or animal. "They appear to be bones"
Now looking at a more zoomed in image.

Justice Code says, "Can you give us an opinion if they are bones?"

Rufolo says yes, "either human or non human bone."
by Shannon Martin 10:45 AM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics