Laura Babcock Murder Trial 11.28.17 - Day 23

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's already lost my respect. What expert would think a long bone could look like ribs?

This witness appears to be saying that he is of the opinion that the photo shows bones, but either human or animal. Does DM think the jury will believe this non-committal statement over a much more definitive statement from a previous witness who is significantly more qualified in this specific area? Grasping at straws with little other defense, I see.

Millard now zooms into the image, two circles are on the screen, labelled A and B.

Linda Babcock, Laura's mother who sits in the front row as she has since the trial started, keeps her eyes closed for a few moments. She's not looking at the large flat screens in the courtroom.
by Shannon Martin 10:47 AM

Millard, "Let me make sure I've got this as zoomed in as far as I can."
by Shannon Martin 10:48 AM

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
45s45 seconds ago
More
Rufalo says another bone looks like the end of a humerus. He's describing some of the characteristics. #Millard zooms in on the bones so the image gets larger on court screens #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
16s16 seconds ago
More
Justice Code tells #Millard he's not using the best image of the bones, but whatever. #LauraBabcock

Millard now zooms into the image, two circles are on the screen, labelled A and B.

Linda Babcock, Laura's mother who sits in the front row as she has since the trial started, keeps her eyes closed for a few moments. She's not looking at the large flat screens in the courtroom.
by Shannon Martin 10:47 AM

Millard, "Let me make sure I've got this as zoomed in as far as I can."
by Shannon Martin 10:48 AM

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
45s45 seconds ago
More
Rufalo says another bone looks like the end of a humerus. He's describing some of the characteristics. #Millard zooms in on the bones so the image gets larger on court screens #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
16s16 seconds ago
More
Justice Code tells #Millard he's not using the best image of the bones, but whatever. #LauraBabcock
LOL did the judge really say "but whatever"?

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
21s21 seconds ago
More
"Spooling" he would expect to see on deer bones, Rufalo says. He says it seems to be visible in the image. #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
21s21 seconds ago
More
"Spooling" he would expect to see on deer bones, Rufalo says. He says it seems to be visible in the image. #LauraBabcock

Perhaps it was a mix of LB and animal bones in the incinerator? I doubt it, but the thought just crossed my mind. Have we already debated this here at WS?

Those pesky 'deer' dying left and right on the farm. They were piling up ya know.

Crown should have asked Chaz Main how many dead deer he has comes across on Millard's farm. He seemed to be the only one that knew the farm like the back of his hand. Those dirt bikers are very observant. Would have been more relevant than the day camp worker. MOO

IMO that depends on how much he is getting paid, he is a hired gun in my opinion at this point.

Crown should have asked Chaz Main how many dead deer he has come across on Millard's farm. He seemed to be the only one that knew the farm like the back of his hand. Those dirt bikers are very observant. Would have been more relevant than the day camp worker. MOO

Good point! That would have been a useful one to introduce.

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
48s48 seconds ago
More
Rufalo is using the technology to circle in red what he says looks like spooling on a bone in the incinerator. #LauraBabcock.

marianne boucher‏
@CityCourtsTO
37s37 seconds ago
More
From what I can see of the end, of the bone ,it's consistent w upper arm bone of deer, sheep, goat, pig, moose.

Crown should have asked Chaz Main how many dead deer he has come across on Millard's farm. He seemed to be the only one that knew the farm like the back of his hand. Those dirt bikers are very observant. Would have been more relevant than the day camp worker. MOO
Would they have had to bring in the reason they were searching his farm then? Or can that just be glossed over, like Dr. Rogers being inside the Eliminator?

What in the actual %$^& is Millard trying to accomplish here? This dude gives me a headache.....I seriously don't get it.....MOO

ETA - never mind....he found a point.....

Rufolo talks about a "spool like shape" of the bones in the image. He says spooling is consistent with deer bones.

Millard, "Would this be consistent with a moose?"
Rufolo says that's too big. He says it's more like a white-tail deer, or a sheep or goat.

Rufolo says it's important for him to clarify:

"I'm offering an opinion here based on a very poor quality image." He talks about shadow, light. "What I see there is in my opinion is quite consistent with deer. He doesn't easily match with human bones."

by Shannon Martin 10:55 AM

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
1m1 minute ago
More
Deer, sheep and goats are the animals that would have spooling on the bones, Rufalo. He was aware of the scale of the photo when he was forming his opinions. #Millard apologizes for his pronunciation of artiodactyl. He's working on it. #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
20s20 seconds ago
More
Rufalo says the bone doesn't easily match human bones, if he's accurately judged from the photo. #LauraBabcock

It appears that DM is in the middle of the ocean, in a canoe with no paddles and a hole in the canoe, smh

marianne boucher‏
@CityCourtsTO
1m1 minute ago
More
Dr just ruled out a moose bone, too large but could be deer, or sheep, goat. Qualified that his opinion is based on a poor quality photo. Doesn't easily match a human bone.
Not a human bone.

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
48s48 seconds ago
More
Rufalo is using the technology to circle in red what he says looks like spooling on a bone in the incinerator. #LauraBabcock.

marianne boucher‏
@CityCourtsTO
37s37 seconds ago
More
From what I can see of the end, of the bone ,it's consistent w upper arm bone of deer, sheep, goat, pig, moose.
Well, he certainly is an expert narrowing it all down like this, possibility of Sheep, Deer, Goat, Pig, Moose??? Really Moose and pig are in the running???

Caryn Lieberman is also tweeting today it seems, read bottom to top (sorry!):

Caryn Lieberman‏Verified account @caryn_lieberman
15m15 minutes ago
“They certainly do appear to be bones.”
0 replies 1 retweet 1 like

15m15 minutes ago
Two bones shown but Rufolo says “hard to say with certainty we have long bones there or just two ribs.”

18m18 minutes ago
Rufolo - and court - is being shown a photograph of the incinerator.

23m23 minutes ago
Dr. Rufolo will testify as expert witness for Dellen #Millard.

23m23 minutes ago
“His expertise in archaeology.. in particular his work in zoo archaeology has given him a sufficient training,” says Justice Code.

24m24 minutes ago
This witness for the defence offers training workshops for law enforcement on “how to distinguish human bone from not.”

25m25 minutes ago
Dr. Rufolo currently works at the Canadian museum of nature in Ottawa. He is a witness for Dellen #Millard.
0 replies 0 retweets 1 like

26m26 minutes ago
#Millard has called Dr. Rufolo as his witness. An expert in zoo archaeology.
0 replies 0 retweets 1 like

50m50 minutes ago
Yesterday’s piece on Dellen Millard who opened his defence in the Laura Babcock murder trial
0 replies 1 retweet 0 likes

1h1 hour ago
Back in the courtroom. #Millard opened his defence yesterday. Details to come when the jury enters the room.

It appears that DM is in the middle of the ocean, in a canoe with no paddles and a hole in the canoe, smh

Let him thrash about in the water, but most of us know he won't make it to shore.

Quick question, Is this man here of his own volition and is he being paid as an expert witness? Does any one have experience with how much an expert witness costs? I can't imagine they do this out of the goodness of their heart?

It really depends on the expert and the extent of their report and evidence but figure on at least $5k for the report and then $5k to $10k for testifying.

Caryn Lieberman‏Verified account
@caryn_lieberman
2m2 minutes ago
More
What I see there is in my opinion quite consistent with a deer .. says #Millard witness based on photo of incinerator.

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
1m1 minute ago
More
The pattern of shadow indicates a possible depression in the bone, which is characteristic of deer bones, Rufalo says. #LauraBabcock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg