Laura Babcock Murder Trial 11.29.17 - Day 24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Millard stands at a wooden podium and reads this out loud:

"The parties agree the following is an accurate statement of fact: day of arrest. Dellen Millard and Mark Smich were arrested and charged with the murder of Laura Babcock on April 10, 2014."

Second admission:

Mr. Nando Larocuqe (spelling unknown) purchased a .32 calibre smith and weston firearm from Ms. Thersea Boisvert. This is the same gun that was found at Maple Gate in fall of 2012. On June 24, 2012, Mr. Larocoque sold it to Matthew Odlum (spelling unknown) in Toronto. When he sold it, there was no ammunition in it.

Code now tells the jury he needs their patience.

"We've got one final issue we've got to sort out. It's realistically going to take us the morning, I'm going to ask you to find a nice patio or restaurant and have a slow relaxed morning drinking good coffee, non alcoholic." (big laugh in the courtroom).

He says the court is making "good progress."

Jury is dismissed until 2:15 p.m. ET.

by Shannon Martin 10:59 AM

He's the guy that sold DM the gun that killed WM?

This link works:
http://toronto.citynews.ca/2014/04/12/ex-girlfriend-of-man-accused-in-bosma-murder-dead-before-even-reported-missing-report/

One of the accused, Mathew Odlum, 27, told the newspaper his case is connected, and as he understands the police allege he illegally sold a gun to Millard.

Matthew Ward-Jackson, 26, of Mississauga, and Matthew Jackson Wawrykiewicz, 28, of Aurora have also been charged with weapons trafficking.
Sorry I was posting at the same time! Great minds

Justice Michael Code has called for the jury, who now file into the room.

Code, "I really appreciate your patience. We've been working away in here. Things are moving rapidly. We're trying to finalize the final aspects of Mr. Millard's defence."

He explains the parties have agreed to a couple of admissions.
by Shannon Martin 10:53 AM

I could be wrong but this statement leads me to believe that DM is winding it up and is no going to testify, otherwise we would not be anywhere near the final aspects of his defence.

I'm not even sure how the .32 calibre fits into LB's death? We know DM purchased a PPK in February of 2012, and neither gun has been identified as used in this murder. Some folks are suggesting a gun was not the murder weapon.

Strange?

Yeah, he would be smart to leave out the gun business in his defense

I could be wrong but this statement leads me to believe that DM is winding it up and is no going to testify, otherwise we would not be anywhere near the final aspects of his defence.

Unless he IS going to testify and that is why he needs all the prep

"The parties agree the following is an accurate statement of fact: day of arrest. Dellen Millard and Mark Smich were arrested and charged with the murder of Laura Babcock on April 10, 2014."

How is that accurate regarding "arrested"? They've been arrested almost for a year by that time.

That link isn't working for me. My understanding though is that Matthew Odlum was accused along with Ish of selling the gun?
See below, sourced from: https://www.therecord.com/news-stor...rges-eliminate-hope-of-finding-babcock-alive/

[FONT=&quot]When contacted on Friday, Mathew Odlum, 27, confirmed his charge of trafficking a firearm was linked to the police's case against Millard.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]"I think you might think that I'm a little more involved in this than I am," Odlum said. "We're going years back, this is from two or three years ago."
Odlum said his understanding is that police allege he illegally sold a gun to Millard. When pressed for details, he quickly got off the phone, saying he wanted to speak to a lawyer.
According to court documents, Odlum is co-accused with two others — Matthew Ward-Jackson, 26, of Mississauga, and Matthew Jackson Wawrykiewicz, 28, of Aurora. Police allege all three trafficked a gun between June 1, 2012 and July 30, 2012.
[/FONT]

Would be a lot easier to follow if he hadn't ya know, killed three people.

Does this have to do with the statement about the letters being seized before they were arrested?

Bill's timeline says they were arrested April 9 2014
I thought the search of CN's bedroom was April 11th 2014?

Unless he IS going to testify and that is why he needs all the prep

If he testifies he'll be on the stand for days with his own blathering and then being crossed by the Crown and Dungey. To me that would hardly qualify for the final aspects of his defence, but perhaps I am wrong.

Maybe the crown can show the pictures of the handful of bullets now.
I'm not even sure how the .32 calibre fits into LB's death? We know DM purchased a PPK in February of 2012, and neither gun has been identified as used in this murder. Some folks are suggesting a gun was not the murder weapon.

Strange?

Maybe he is going to call Odlum as a witness??

ETA: Or Larocque/La Rocca

:worms:Well not so sure he didn't open up some more evidence for the crown. Hope case still manages to be a head of schedule.

I'm not sure why DM is drawing all of the attention towards the illegal firearms that were at his home when there has been no evidence as to the cause of death and at this point the overdose scenario is probably his best defence although I just can't see the jury falling for it.

Millard stands at a wooden podium and reads this out loud:

Second admission:

Mr. Nando Larocuqe (spelling unknown) purchased a .32 calibre smith and weston firearm from Ms. Thersea Boisvert. This is the same gun that was found at Maple Gate in fall of 2012. On June 24, 2012, Mr. Larocoque sold it to Matthew Odlum (spelling unknown) in Toronto. When he sold it, there was no ammunition in it.

Code now tells the jury he needs their patience.

"We've got one final issue we've got to sort out. It's realistically going to take us the morning, I'm going to ask you to find a nice patio or restaurant and have a slow relaxed morning drinking good coffee, non alcoholic." (big laugh in the courtroom).

He says the court is making "good progress."

Jury is dismissed until 2:15 p.m. ET.

by Shannon Martin 10:59 AM

Okay, so we've heard of the three Matthews... But who the heck are these two?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaBN1