Lowell Correctional Institution - Questions

Lisalei321 and darling Daughter!

Thank you very much for offering all of us the insight to life in a correctional institution. Rock On! darling Daughter for getting through some of the toughest experiences and making a better life for yourself! :woohoo:

My question is about medical service.

What happens if you get sick? What procedures are followed for getting medical attention?

(if you have something minor, like KC's skin eruption/rash, would it take long to be seen?)

Do the inmates receive dental care and annual gynecological (pap) exams and that kind of preventative care?

Thanks again for taking the time out of your new, happy life, to share your knowledge and experiences.

If your sick, you put in for a "sick call", then all calls are sorted by need (think of something similar to a ER triage), then the decision is made as to who is gonna be seen.

DD thinks that bacne would something that wouldn't even be seen, kinda oh that's to bad, other inmates are actually sick...

Dental care is emergency only and most routine stuff (female exams), is done along with screenings for STD's.

Is that where women on death row are housed?

lowell correctional institution has a lot of different buildings. since aileen wournos was executed, there is one other woman on death row right now, tiffany cole. i believe they keep and have kept the female death row inmate in the annex (part of lowell what's its called). other inmates are divided by security levels (minimum, medium, close)
my friend is in close in a dorm style setting, however they also consider close where there is 2 people to a cell.
hope that helps some

lisalei, its awesome to hear that your daughter is out and is back on the right track! it must be a big relief for you both!

Tiffany Cole is at Lowell awaiting the death penalty. She is the only female in Fla. on death row currently. Perhaps KC will be keeping her company someday!!
About Tiffany:
http://kidnappingmurderandmayhem.blogspot.com/2008/03/only-woman-on-floridas-death-row.html
http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2009/02/23/only-woman-on-floridas-death-row/
http://www.dc.state.fl.us/oth/deathrow/women.html

its very rare for fl to put women on death row anymore, i think casey is most deserving of it though!

If your sick, you put in for a "sick call", then all calls are sorted by need (think of something similar to a ER triage), then the decision is made as to who is gonna be seen.

DD thinks that bacne would something that wouldn't even be seen, kinda oh that's to bad, other inmates are actually sick...

Dental care is emergency only and most routine stuff (female exams), is done along with screenings for STD's.
Wow...... You are a great mom...bless your heart.. you have been through a lot and I know it's heartbreaking to have a child in jail... but I'm glad that your daughter has turned around and made changes. She is a great kid and I know you are proud of her! :)

I'm wondering how the inmates that are convicted child killers are treated by the other inmates? I've heard that the convicted child killers have to be protected.

Thanks for answering!

Wow...... You are a great mom...bless your heart.. you have been through a lot and I know it's heartbreaking to have a child in jail... but I'm glad that your daughter has turned around and made changes. She is a great kid and I know you are proud of her! :)

I'm wondering how the inmates that are convicted child killers are treated by the other inmates? I've heard that the convicted child killers have to be protected.

Thanks for answering!

I just saw this, I'm sorry :(

My understanding and DD's not speaking of it (she looked at me and said "Ma, what do you think?", tells me that being a convicted child killer in a prison is not a place that you would ever want to be...bad, bad place :(

Bump, for those who haven't read it yet :)

Bump, for those who haven't read it yet :)

WOW! lisalei thanks for sending me here. You are Awesome.:blowkiss:
Sorry I miss understood, I hope you can accept my apology :gift:

It is not as if I do not know what you are going through... I do :(
I have one that is bipolar that has made all my hair stand up straight (and I have a lot of hair).
I wish I can say she is doing as well as your is doing.
BEST WISHES... ((( HUG )))

What a wonderful inspiring thread! My best wishes for the both of you and I want to congratulate you on your tough love! This has helped me somewhat. I am waiting for my brother and sister in law's murderer to go to trial. Her uncle killed them both in March 2008. This is actually what inspired me to join WS. Their murderer (Berry Hall) was in general population and was ALMOST killed, twice. Now he is in protective custody. We, as a family, offered him LWOP but he refused it. Now the DA is seeking the DP so the blood shed will not be on our hands and the DA has told us that he WOULD get the DP. This saddens me in a way because there are so many more people involved in this than just *US*. He has a wonderful mom that was soooo good to my brother. His two sons were the ones to call 911 when this took place. I don't want to see another life taken, even my brother's murder, for the simple reason that enough people have been hurt. I don't want to see his mom go through what my mom went through. I don't want HIS sons to lose their father, but I also don't want him to ever walk the streets again. Believe it or not, but Caylee's death has ALMOST made me sway in favor of the DP. How sad is that? This little girl stole my heart and lisalei, thanks again for starting this thread and please give your darling daughter a hug from me. :)

Below is a copy of a newspaper clipping about my brother's murder, for those who are not aware of it.

PRESTONSBURG — The mournful cries of traumatized children silenced the courtroom Wednesday afternoon, when Det. Ben Cramer, of the Kentucky State Police, played a 911 tape that brought sharp focus to the reality of the scene that took place in the home of Alan and Lisa Tackett, of Abbott, on the evening of March 20, at approximately 6:30 p.m.

It was on that evening that Alan Tackett, 47, and his wife, Lisa, 30, were gunned down sniper-style in their own front yard by bullets allegedly fired by Berry Hall, 45, the uncle of Lisa Tackett, from a second-story window of his home.

According to testimony provided Wednesday by Det. Cramer, Lisa Tackett's dead body, struck once through the chest, was found lying in the front yard of her home, while her husband's body lay half-in, half-out across the threshold of the home's front door. Alan Tackett, according to Cramer, had been struck twice — once in the hand, and again on the right side of his head.

Four children under the age of 5 years old were inside the home at the time of the shootings.

Though Hall, according to Det. Cramer, "made three separate confessions" to the crime, his court-appointed attorney Steven Goble, of Pikeville, entered a plea of not guilty before District Judge James R. Allen on Wednesday afternoon.

"I lost it and I killed them," Det. Cramer said Hall told him on the evening of March 20. Cramer also said that Hall told him that he had been arguing with his niece and her husband earlier that day about "some ongoing issues" involving property lines and a dog owned by the couple that had wandered onto Hall's property. Hall, according to Det. Cramer, had said that "he just had all he could stand and he shot and killed them."

Cramer said that during the course of questioning, he queried Hall in regard to the possible danger that existed for the children in the home. "He repeatedly said that he was in control of himself enough that he knew he would not harm any of the children," Cramer said.

Following the shootings, Hall allegedly entered the home of the slain couple and retrieved the four children, who he then took to his own home, allegedly stepping over the dead bodies of the children's parents in order to do so.

Along with the alleged confessions, examination of the crime scene, and a taped 911 recording of Hall's son alleging that it was his father who had fired the shots that killed Alan and Lisa Tackett, evidence was compelling that it was, indeed, Berry Hall who committed the double murder.

Though Hall's attorney conducted a cross-examination of Det. Cramer's testimony, Hall himself remained quiet, appearing calm throughout the proceeding.

Judge Allen declared that Hall would remain held without bond in the Floyd County Detention Center. Allen also declared that charges against Hall of two counts of murder and four counts of wanton endangerment will be referred to the grand jury.

Tulessa,

Wow. I have no words. Only respect and admiration for your grace and courage and enormous heart. Thank you for posting this.

And thank you Lisalei for this thread and openness. Best wishes for DD.

Tulessa,

Wow. I have no words. Only respect and admiration for your grace and courage and enormous heart. Thank you for posting this.

And thank you Lisalei for this thread and openness. Best wishes for DD.
Thank you sweetheart. Alan nevr had a child until he was 43. He loved being a daddy. Below is a pic of him & one of his babies.
lessa.jpg

I always seem to bump this when questions about Lowell come up!

:bump:

Awesome!!

I was watching the vitual tour and in the area where the two-person cells are... it appears that right outside there is a commons area (something like that?) where there are tables and benches. My question is, are the cells left open during the day so that inmates can go into this area and hang out, socialize, play card games, etc...

Do you know if they have a "protective custody" for inmates? Since some people want to think Casey is special (her parents), would she really be able to have her own private cell and be kept away from ALL other prisoners... if she is given LWOP?

Awesome!!

I was watching the vitual tour and in the area where the two-person cells are... it appears that right outside there is a commons area (something like that?) where there are tables and benches. My question is, are the cells left open during the day so that inmates can go into this area and hang out, socialize, play card games, etc...

Do you know if they have a "protective custody" for inmates? Since some people want to think Casey is special (her parents), would she really be able to have her own private cell and be kept away from ALL other prisoners... if she is given LWOP?

If she's in Closed Management, there is no other contact with any other inmate at all....

Where is KC being held, if not in prison ?? Or is she in prison ?? I am sorry, but I don't understand why she isn't in jail . I thought she was, in her own little corner or something.

Where is KC being held, if not in prison ?? Or is she in prison ?? I am sorry, but I don't understand why she isn't in jail . I thought she was, in her own little corner or something.

Jail and prison are 2 different species. In jail, she has it much better then she would have in prison. Quieter, no threats against her, no fear so to speak.
Food is probably better too since they cook for less people.

Casey has spent about as much time in her cushy little "dorm room" as Caylee was on earth.
I think her lawyers game is to keep her in jail as long as possible and try to avoid prison as long as they can.
jmo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph
Back